• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
There are enough substantial differences that you should start reading the first book onward. Plus the books are better than the show because of the details and minutia they delve into.

That is my problem,
SO is brienne around when joffery dies and sansa goes missing? With Cat dead, what impetus would sansa have to go with Brienne? Maybe instead of having the drunken fool that's sansas knight in shinning armor, its instead brieene?

I really need to reread SOS :X

ASOS
So obviously Jaime has promised to return Cat's daughters to her. In the book they arrive after Joffrey's wedding and therefore Sansa is gone. Brienne is arrested almost right away on Loras' accusations. After Loras questions her about Renly's death on Jaime's orders and says she probably didn't kill him, Jaime sends Brienne off to find Sansa.

In the show (assuming that the preview isn't playing us false) it looks like they return when Sansa's still there. It seems pretty reasonable that Jaime will think he can't return her because she is married to his brother, but once she disappears then he'll have an opportunity to send Brienne to find her.

Doesn't really change much that way.

oh ASOS/Ep 10 preview
Is that shot of Jaime in KL? :O

Looks like it

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thanks, I couldn't remember if she was presumed dead or
like in the books the Lannisters were pretending they still had her.

Well,
it's possible the last time her location came up outside the Lannister inner circle, they probably put out the rumor of still having Arya. But no word or appearances in that whole time, while Sansa can still be seen and heard (while being publically tormented by the False King Joffrey).

It's something that they never went back to, if KL was still saying they had her or not (or if anyone believes that lie)

3rdman

Question for book readers:

I own the first book and read it about half way, but decided to switch to the show. I'm a slow reader so I generally don't like to read. After next Sunday's episode I'm considering taking up the books again.

Where should I start reading? I'm considering going back to finish the first book, then read as far as I can; however, I'd also consider starting up from where the show left off. (Where would that be?)

EDIT: Looks like this question was just asked... still would like some more feedback

May I humbly suggest listening to the audio books then? Roy Dotrice does a fantastic job on the first 3 books. Regardless though, don't even think about reading where the TV show is at...There are lots of references and scenes that never played out on TV...you'll be totally lost.

Fey

Banned
ASOS
So obviously Jaime has promised to return Cat's daughters to her. In the book they arrive after Joffrey's wedding and therefore Sansa is gone. Brienne is arrested almost right away on Loras' accusations. After Loras questions her about Renly's death on Jaime's orders and says she probably didn't kill him, Jaime sends Brienne off to find Sansa.

In the show (assuming that the preview isn't playing us false) it looks like they return when Sansa's still there. It seems pretty reasonable that Jaime will think he can't return her because she is married to his brother, but once she disappears then he'll have an opportunity to send Brienne to find her.

Doesn't really change much that way.

ASOS
This makes sense. Jaime and Brienne come back and find Sansa, but seeing as Robb and Cat are dead and Sansa is married to Tyrion, they decide KL is the safest place for her. Then she escapes and Jaime tells Brienne to bring her back.

Crisco

Banned
I love all the people saying "I don't know who to root for anymore, I hope the white walkers just roll up and slaughter everyone". Little do they know how likely that outcome actually is.

Lonestar

watching the promo, really makes me think that ASOS
They aren't going to do ColdHands. Sam, with another Ranger, looking "Down" with a panicked look, makes me think seeing the Wildling army at the wall. But whatever it is he see's, looks like he's already on the wall, and that's not alot of time to run into Coldhands, run into Bran and then get back to Castle Black. Though, perhaps, the show is changing it up and have Coldhands be introduced to Bran next season (after he's passed the Wall), so they don't have to do 2 "Hero Zombie" reveals in the same episode...

watching the promo, really makes me think that ASOS
They aren't going to do ColdHands. Sam, with another Ranger, looking "Down" with a panicked look, makes me think seeing the Wildling army at the wall. But whatever it is he see's, looks like he's already on the wall, and that's not alot of time to run into Coldhands, run into Bran and then get back to Castle Black. Though, perhaps, the show is changing it up and have Coldhands be introduced to Bran next season (after he's passed the Wall), so they don't have to do 2 "Hero Zombie" reveals in the same episode...
Yeah they can just [ASoS]
Have Coldhands meet Bran and Co. once they get North of the Wall and wander around for a bit.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
In the opinion of the characters of the show? She hasn't been heard from since right before Ned's ending. That's months, or even over a year, without word. I assume that most would assume she died out in the world, alone.

Only The Hound, the BWB (or at least the main 2 guys) and Gendry/Hot Pie, know she's alive (and who she is). Maybe the Faceless Man too.

Only The Hound knows she was at the Twins for last weeks events.

Doesn't Littlefingeer also know she's alive in the show? Because he saw her at Harrenhal?

Kuroyume

Banned
I love all the people saying "I don't know who to root for anymore, I hope the white walkers just roll up and slaughter everyone". Little do they know how likely that outcome actually is.

You root for the Hound, Brienne, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa, Arya, Davos, or Bran.

pr0cs

Doesn't Littlefingeer also know she's alive in the show? Because he saw her at Harrenhal?

It wasn't clear from the show and since Harrenhal has changed hands and had a lot of creeps go in and out of there there is no way he should be able to accurately speculate if she's still alive or not.

I never thought Arya was dead, but I cheated and peeked at the following chapters titles to find her name. Had to make sure. God, it was a long time ago.

I shamefully admit to have done the same thing.

So what did everybody think about Dany's story in the last episode? I liked seeing Daario, Jorah and Grey Worm on their little adventure, but the fights scenes - albeit well done - had a strange comical feel to them. Especially when they got surrounded by the Yunkish and defeated them, only to be surrounded by even more guys.

That seemed to be more fitting for a Disney movie.

Burt

Thanks. I guess I'll start from the beginning then.
You can start from book 2, that's what I did and it hasn't really been problem for me. Between having the show and the wiki to cover the first season, you'll be perfectly fine. There are some pretty major divergences after that though.

Speaking of which, I'm curious (series)
to see how they're going to handle a lot of stuff in the later books when the series doesn't seem to dive a whole lot into history, specifically with Rhaegar/Lyanna, Bloodraven, and various other details and prophecies. Stuff like that hasnt been vital to the central plot so far, but it's provided important information that'll give context to characters and events in the next two books. They'll probably shoehorn it in as we get closer to the events themselves, but instant comprehensive reveals generally come off as pretty lazy and lame.

suzu

Okay, after the red wedding episode I want to start reading . But I really don't want to start from the beginning. Can I just start reading a storm of swords?

Question for book readers:

I own the first book and read it about half way, but decided to switch to the show. I'm a slow reader so I generally don't like to read. After next Sunday's episode I'm considering taking up the books again.

Where should I start reading? I'm considering going back to finish the first book, then read as far as I can; however, I'd also consider starting up from where the show left off. (Where would that be?)

EDIT: Looks like this question was just asked... still would like some more feedback

It's better to start from the beginning.

I mean, you can try reading it however you like, but you're going to be confused as fuck if you don't start at least from book 2. Wiki the first book if you must.

pr0cs

but the fights scenes - albeit well done - had a strange comical feel to them. Especially when they got surrounded by the Yunkish and defeated them, only to be surrounded by even more guys.

That seemed to be more fitting for a Disney movie.

It was overdone, very 'scripted' but I was fine with it.
I thought Grey Worm did the best to be honest. The guy who is playing him is really killing his part. In fact the linquist that invented Dothraki and Valaryian has said the actoring playing Grey Worm consistently gets the lines perfect.

Levi

Banned
Only person I root for is Jorah.

Yuck. Dishonored himself selling slaves, dishonored his house fleeing justice, dishonored his Khaleesi selling information to Robert Baratheon. ASOS
Dishonors Dany further forcing unwanted kisses on her. She's his Queen, he treats her like a little girl too dumb to do anything for herself.
Fuck that guy.

Yuck. Dishonored himself selling slaves, dishonored his house fleeing justice, dishonored his Khaleesi selling information to Robert Baratheon. ASOS
Dishonors Dany further forcing unwanted kisses on her. She's his Queen, he treats her like a little girl too dumb to do anything for herself.
Fuck that guy.

Says the blue bearded cut throat who betrayed his comrades

Lonestar

Only person I root for is Jorah.

Maybe his Dad, but Jorah's got some bad history, and his current pining for Dany isn't doing him favors.

My opinions of "#Team****" choices:

#TeamDavos, because of the actor, as well as an honorable man who isn't afraid to tell his Lord "The Harsh Truth."

#TeamSelmy, because he can cut through all of us like he was cutting a cake.

I'd say #TeamBran, out of fear of his power of controlling people, but he's young, and the actor is going through that awkward puberty phase. The Premise of his Power is greater than what he's actually doing in the story (Trekking through the Woods, HODOR-Style).

#TeamTyrion is easy, because he's logical in the face of great stupidity, but his ongoing efforts to stick with his family (after years of them shitting on him, trying to kill him, as well as the fact they are a plague on the Realm), isn't exactly a great mark for his character.

#TeamDany and #TeamJon are too easy. Jon's still pretty naive, and Dany has some awesome qualities (Dragon's yo), she's a bit too viscous, and I fear what she'll do whenever she does go across the sea. She wants the throne, but seemingly knows little of the people, except that they deposed her Father. Does she want it to Rule or does she want it to have revenge?

Sansa has had a horribly rough time, but I keep coming back to her lying about Nymeria & Joffrey, as well her early pining for Joffrey (hell, if they'd just stay in Winterfell to begin with). Her attitude towards her Father and Arya before it all went down, is hard to overcome in hindsight.

Hound and Jaime, while having nice redemptive arc's, have too much blood on their hands. Especially Jaime. While he shouldn't have the bane of having "KingSlayer" on his soul, the entire War, the ENTIRE BLOODY MESS, is based off him pushing Bran out of the window. All he had to do was keep it in his pants for a little while longer. So, he can have his redemption arc, but he can't have a happy ending.

So, it's #TeamDavos or #TeamSelmy for me. Though #TeamWhiteWalker is picking up steam, if the current rate of "Stupidity-in-the-face-of-The-Apocalypse" continues in the 7 Kingdoms.

Calamari41

41 > 38
ASOS
When do you think they're going to do Joffrey's wedding? With Jaime due back to King's Landing pretty damn soon, I think they should get it out of the way within the first two episodes of the next season. That's really the beginning of all the insane King's Landing/Eyrie shit that goes down in the last half of the book. Plus doesn't it take place less than a hundred pages after the Red Wedding in the book, anyway? What a season opener that shit would be. Probably episode 2 though. Any later and there won't be time/they will have to have Jaime around for it. That wouldn't work at all.

Edit:
Wait, I didn't see the preview for next week. Jaime gets back *this season?* That seems insane to me. He can't be at Joffrey's wedding.

Maybe his Dad, but Jorah's got some bad history, and his current pining for Dany isn't doing him favors.

#TeamDavos, because of the actor, as well as an honorable man who isn't afraid to tell his Lord "The Harsh Truth."

I'd say #TeamBran, out of fear of his power of controlling people, but he's young, and the actor is going through that awkward puberty phase. The Premise of his Power is greater than what he's actually doing in the story (Trekking through the Woods, HODOR-Style).

#TeamTyrion is easy, because he's logical in the face of great stupidity, but his ongoing efforts to stick with his family (after years of them shitting on him, trying to kill him, as well as the fact they are a plague on the Realm), isn't exactly a great mark for his character.

#TeamDany and #TeamJon are too easy. Jon's still pretty naive, and Dany has some awesome qualities (Dragon's yo), she's a bit too viscous, and I fear what she'll do whenever she does go across the sea. She wants the throne, but seemingly knows little of the people, except that they deposed her Father. Does she want it to Rule or does she want it to have revenge?

Sansa has had a horribly rough time, but I keep coming back to her lying about Nymeria & Joffrey, as well her early pining for Joffrey (hell, if they'd just stay in Winterfell to begin with). Her attitude towards her Father and Arya before it all went down, is hard to overcome in hindsight.

Hound and Jaime, while having nice redemptive arc's, have too much blood on their hands. Especially Jaime. While he shouldn't have the bane of having "KingSlayer" on his soul, the entire War, the ENTIRE BLOODY MESS, is based off him pushing Bran out of the window. All he had to do was keep it in his pants for a little while longer. So, he can have his redemption arc, but he can't have a happy ending.

So, it's #TeamDavos or #TeamSelmy for me. Though #TeamWhiteWalker is picking up steam, if the current rate of "Stupidity-in-the-face-of-The-Apocalypse" continues in the 7 Kingdoms.

Team Davos, by way of Team Stannis. The true king.

#TeamSelmy all the way for me.

[ASOS] [Series]
I hope we get to see him in action sometime soon. During ep. 8, when the Titan's Bastard came to Dany's sit-down, I told my wife, "Barristan's gonna' fucking demolish that guy a little further down the road." Then it dawned on me what they were doing (combining the Stormcrows/Second Sons) when Daario was introduced...

Iksenpets

Banned

I was really expecting a scene of Tywin finding out they didn't have Arya and getting pissed when he realized he had her at Harrenhal. I don't know why he hasn't reacted at all to the fact that they lost her, unless he knew that he had her all along and he planned for her to die when The Mountain killed everyone in Harrenhal. But even then, you would think Tyrion and Cersei would be suspicious about why he hasn't asked about what happened to her.

#TeamSelmy all the way for me.

[ASOS] [Series]
I hope we get to see him in action sometime soon. During ep. 8, when the Titan's Bastard came to Dany's sit-down, I told my wife, "Barristan's gonna' fucking demolish that guy a little further down the road." Then it dawned on me what they were doing (combining the Stormcrows/Second Sons) when Daario was introduced...

ASOS
If Strong Belwas is cut, they could give him that single combat scene against the champion from Meereen, unless the actor really just isn't physically capable of it.

Isn't there a team Margery? She seems like the most fit to rule of anyone we've seen, in the show at least, she has decency but is practical too. It's interesting that [ASOS]
in the show thread everyone is speculating on where the Lannister comeuppance will come from but hardly anyone has mentioned Margery and Olenna.

Also, Daario has been loyal to Dany since day one.

MMmmmm, This has yet to be tested :D

Three treasons will you know: once for blood and once for gold and once for love… daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire…

#teamJonSnow
#teamTyrionLannister
#teamWymanManderly
#teamKingStannis

Levi

Banned
Daario isn't even a top ten character for me, the whole team Daario thing is a jape since I expected the show to pull a hunger games / twilight style love triangle to appeal to the Tumblr crowd.

I'm #TeamArya, #TeamSansa and #TeamMartell way more than I am #TeamDaario.

Fey

Banned
Isn't there a team Margery? She seems like the most fit to rule of anyone we've seen, in the show at least, she has decency but is practical too. It's interesting that [ASOS]
in the show thread everyone is speculating on where the Lannister comeuppance will come from but hardly anyone has mentioned Margery and Olenna.

series
Well, in the show, right now, it seems she has an upper hand, but I would not be surprised at all if Margaery died in the next book after or due to the trial.

I'm definitely #TeamStark and #TeamMartell.

ASOS
If Strong Belwas is cut, they could give him that single combat scene against the champion from Meereen, unless the actor really just isn't physically capable of it.

[ASOS]
Strong Belwas is cut, AFAIK, so I'm definitely hoping for that + more during the sewer siege at Meereen as well. And gosh, I would hope they wouldn't have cast the guy if he wasn't going to be able to whip out a sword every now and then. He's just gonna' have to channel his inner Christopher Lee and open up a can!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fuck that guy.

I thought Ned sent him into exile, and that was his punishment.

What do you think will be the big event for episode 9 season 4?

ASOS
Probably the Oberyn vs Gregor duel. I imagine we'll also get Arya and the Hound wrecking shit at the Inn (and Arya getting needle back), Dany capturing Meereen and Stannis offering Winterfell to Jon.

I thought Ned sent him into exile, and that was his punishment.

He knew that Ned was coming to execute him, so he fled before that could happen.

iammeiam

(Series)
#TeamTommen, the best king in ages by virtue of not being insane, not blowing the treasury in tournaments, and not being a sadistic asshole. If they kill off Tommen I will be most upset.

I want it to be (SOS)
the battle at Castle Black. Odd numbered seasons have ninth episodes in which characters are shockingly murdered, even numbered seasons have flashy battles. It should be a theme.

[ASoS]
I think the fight between the Mountain and Oberyn Martell might fit the bill. Have Tyrion kill his pappy and get out of there in Episode 10. Maybe end with the Stoneheart reveal we see in the novel, if we're getting Cat's resurrection next week.
They might throw things around a little bit, since we've been getting big events every ninth episode for three seasons now. It could be getting too predictable, and with a show like this, predictability isn't really a good thing. :p
Joffrey getting purple-faced is definitely happening early on in the season, that much I'm sure of.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, all of the replies to the question of what to have in Episode 9 next season is reminding me of the pure volume of epic shit that happens at the end of this book. They really need to hit the ground running next season. (ASOS)
They will have to kill Joffrey pretty early on

Also, how long have people been calling it (ASOS)
The Purple Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom