• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video here GRRM mentions there are at least 4 people killed in the tv show that are still alive in the books. Who does he mean ?

http://teamcoco.com/video/george-r-r-martin-writing-fast

He says it at around the 2:25 mark.

Irri, Mago and Rakharo are three. I think he might be counting Xaro (we don't see him die in the show, but his death could possibly be assumed) as he fourth.

Edit: Oh right, the eighth lady Frey. I forgot about her.

Petrichor

Series
As others hve mentioned, Irri, Rakharo, Mago, Xaro are all still alive in the books. Someone compiled a pretty good list last night in this thread.

Pyat Pree? though it would be easy to retcon his return if he becomes important

In that george rr martin interview when he's talking about a female character that *he* knows to die in the books, is it just me or does that sound like he's talking about post-ADWD stuff?

In that george rr martin interview when he's talking about a female character that *he* knows to die in the books, is it just me or does that sound like he's talking about post-ADWD stuff?

Yeah, that's one where I thought he could very well be talking about a death we don't know about yet.

exYle

He's also talking to three actors at once who all die... who could they be?
SPOILERS
Charles Dance, Sibel Kekilli, ?

CassSept

He's also talking to three actors at once who all die... who could they be?
SPOILERS
Charles Dance, Sibel Kekilli, ?

SPOILERS
With Ilyn Payne out of the picture Jaime Lannister's arc is deemed impossible to be resolved and Tyrion stabs him in his heart. BOOM PLOT TWIST.

Trasher

I thought he was referring to Oona or ASoS
Rose Leslie

Solo

Just watched Ep. 8. Loved the Tyrion wedding scenes and the White Walker final scene.

Probably wait til tomorrow to get re-charged for Ep. 9 and the RW.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
B3tw6Ih.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
rewatching Episode 1 of the 3rd season, and it starts with something that makes me wonder if the last episode will bring it back around (like, full circle!)
Sam running in the snow and coming across a wight in the snow, a turned Ranger. Still holding out for some Coldhands, 4EVA.

Altazor

from the other thread...

So far, I don't understand why so many book readers hype this as the best book in the series. There must be a buttload of progression and revelation in the last half of the book. This has been solid, very watchable television this season (in my opinion), but everyone I know who has read the books says of the source material, this is the best one. So they better bring it next season or I'll be sorta sad.

Patience.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just caught up...marathoned the entire season in 4 nights.

Goddamn...I knew it was coming having read the books years ago, but reliving that...yeesh.

[ASoS]
You think they'll go the absolute distance and show the direwolf head sewn to Rob's body?

Massa

Just caught up...marathoned the entire season in 4 nights.

Goddamn...I knew it was coming having read the books years ago, but reliving that...yeesh.

[ASoS]
You think they'll go the absolute distance and show the direwolf head sewn to Rob's body?

Yep.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just read all the reactions in the non-spoiler thread, lol. Exactly how I felt when I read it for the first time...

"WTF? Who do I root for now? Why do the bad guys always win? Do I want to continue with this?"

Ahhhh...memories.

I wish the book readers would stop going in to gloat and shit up the thread.

ebevan91

from the other thread...

So far, I don't understand why so many book readers hype this as the best book in the series. There must be a buttload of progression and revelation in the last half of the book. This has been solid, very watchable television this season (in my opinion), but everyone I know who has read the books says of the source material, this is the best one. So they better bring it next season or I'll be sorta sad.

Patience.

ASOS
I will agree with that person though, that the first half of the book wasn't too eventful. The RW pretty much kicks off a crazy ass remaining 1/3rd of the book.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Not 100% this is the right topic for this, but here it goes. [series spoiler, sorta]
Is the series a good way to 'refresh' my knowledge on the series before reading the later books? Like, are there major changes between the show and the novels so far? Don't think this really needs to be in spoilers but I guess better safe than sorry with the stuff in the other thread.

Real Hero

Not 100% this is the right topic for this, but here it goes. [series spoiler, sorta]
Is the series a good way to 'refresh' my knowledge on the series before reading the later books? Like, are there major changes between the show and the novels so far? Don't think this really needs to be in spoilers but I guess better safe than sorry with the stuff in the other thread.
read the books, unless you mean you already have

Moff

that probably depends on how far you have read

gutshot

Dislike that WiC apparently believes people of color can't have blue eyes. Not that Daario can't be white, but the text doesn't prove he is.

I'm not going to complain about white washing yet... But if the Martells end up as white a the rest of Westeros...

It wasn't just the blue eyes though. FaB also noted that he is described as "pale". Taking those two descriptors into account, I think it is a fair assumption that he would be white.

I agree with you about the Martells though, they need to be cast as PoC. That's why we had that "Importance of Dorne" article, in hopes that if the producers were giving any thought to white washing those roles, that we may be able to change their minds.

It wasn't just the blue eyes though. FaB also noted that he is described as "pale". Taking those two descriptors into account, I think it is a fair assumption that he would be white.

I agree with you about the Martells though, they need to be cast as PoCs. That's why we had that "Importance of Dorne" article, in hopes that if the producers were giving any thought to white washing those roles, that we may be able to change their minds.

Can you point me in the direction of this? Would love to read it.

NekoFever

You mean you've read the books but want to use the TV show to refresh your memory? Yeah, I think it can do that. There are some changes, amalgamated characters, etc, but you'll probably find stuff coming back that you'd forgotten about. It's worth watching if you haven't seen it either way.

I'd also recommend the chapter summaries on Tower of the Hand if you want a more in-depth refresh without re-reading the whole series.

Iksenpets

Banned

I agree with you about the Martells though, they need to be cast as PoC. That's why we had that "Importance of Dorne" article, in hopes that if the producers were giving any thought to white washing those roles, that we may be able to change their minds.

I'm one of the people who always read the Martells as more Spaniard or Greek than anything else, so any olive skinned person would fit my mental image, but I agree for the show they should definitely give it to some actors of color, just because its an oppotunity to have some ethnic roles that aren't slave dealers or part of a barbarian horde.

GRRM has described Dorne as Wales mixed with Spain and Palestine and the Rhoynish influence being like the Moorish influence on Spain. I don't care what direction they go with as long as the actors are good but Dorne definitely has its own flavor in the books so Spain/Morocco would be cool.

Dorne isn't black though

They are more arabish and tan

Summer Isle is black

I forgot who the asians were

Some random Essos city I think

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

ASOS
I think he was talking about Rose Leslie.

I would imagine it's [ASoS]
Rose Leslie. Was the RW not already recorded before the premiere?

Besides, I don't think Martin would take credit for Oona's character being dead since that was D&D who added that.

Iksenpets

Banned
http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/06/le...-the-purge-interview.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Lena Headey interview I just saw on Twitter seems like it has some hints on how they're going to be handling some future events for her.

Series
I had assumed that her punishment in her Feast/Dance story would be rewritten to avoid the heavy nudity required, but her comments on nudity make it sound like she and the producers have alteady discussed the scene and she's down for it.

Dorne isn't black though

They are more arabish and tan

Summer Isle is black

I forgot who the asians were

Some random Essos city I think

I don't think anyone thinks they should be cast as black other than a few advocates of completely colorblind casting, but definitely Middle Eastern or Indian or something. I mean, I think the closest look I've seen in media to how I imagined Oberyn looking is Dominic West with a heavy tan in his role in 300, but I don't think they should cast him for the role, because there'd be some pretty justifiable backlash at finding an English dude who tans well to play the most prominent non-white role in your show for the season.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/06/le...-the-purge-interview.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Lena Headey interview I just saw on Twitter seems like it has some hints on how they're going to be handling some future events for her.

Series
I had assumed that her punishment in her Feast/Dance story would be rewritten to avoid the heavy nudity required, but her comments on nudity make it sound like she and the producers have alteady discussed the scene and she's down for it.

I don't know why anyone questioned it. She's been naked in a bunch of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom