• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace3skoot

Series
So on the latest episode samwell has knowledge how to get through the wall, does this mean coldhands won't be in the show? or just introduced later?

Thanks! That was a great interview. Most interviews I watch with him usually have stuff I've heard before (cause, well, most interviewers just ask the same questions), but this was one of the more entertaining ones, and the stuff about Bayonne and Staten Island cracked me up.

I wish we had more concrete information about what "very fast" means to him, haha. But it shows he's well aware of the issue, at least, and is doing all he can. I just wish he'd stop falling in love with his own world and creating more subplots and just damn focus. Subplots are nice and all, but he doesn't need to have so many of them.

Done in 5 1/2 years instead of 6?

NekoFever

Series
So on the latest episode samwell has knowledge how to get through the wall, does this mean coldhands won't be in the show? or just introduced later?
I suspect that he might be the very last scene of this season. They like to go a bit supernatural for the endings (dragons, Others) and I took the bit when there were ravens around Sam and Gilly's hut to be a hint at his presence.

brentech

he did seem genuinely concerned about being surpassed. at the same time, i think he enjoys all the extra stuff he does too much to let said concern push him to truly concentrate on writing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I suspect that he might be the very last scene of this season. They like to go a bit supernatural for the endings (dragons, Others) and I took the bit when there were ravens around Sam and Gilly's hut to be a hint at his presence.

It might just be me, but SERIES
I have a feeling that, they will only show one of the following in the last episode: Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart. Showing two Zombie/Supernatural beings might be considered "too much for TV Viewers to understand." But I obviously hope they show both, even though it'd be a bit of a rush to show Stoneheart. Having a closeup of her face and her eyes open, be the last scene of the season would be a "oooooh shiiiiiiieeeet" moment for viewers.

jett

D-Member
he did seem genuinely concerned about being surpassed. at the same time, i think he enjoys all the extra stuff he does too much to let said concern push him to truly concentrate on writing.

Well, he's screwed. The show catching up is inevitable. Personally, I don't even see how everything is going to tie together in just two more books.

NekoFever

I have a feeling that, they will only show one of the following in the last episode: Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart. Showing two Zombie/Supernatural beings might be considered "too much for TV Viewers to understand." But I obviously hope they show both, even though it'd be a bit of a rush to show Stoneheart. Having a closeup of her face and her eyes open, be the last scene of the season would be a "oooooh shiiiiiiieeeet" moment for viewers.
[ASOS]
I'm just curious to see how they split it in general. I mean, there's probably about an episode's worth of material to get Arya onto the boat, but then that leaves nothing for her to do in season 4 unless they start bringing in later events. But then again, how are they going to string out the rest of her ASOS material for another season?And what's Stoneheart going to do next season if she's introduced?

iammeiam

[ASOS]
I'm just curious to see how they split it in general. I mean, there's probably about an episode's worth of material to get Arya onto the boat, but then that leaves nothing for her to do in season 4 unless they start bringing in later events. But then again, how are they going to string out the rest of her ASOS material for another season?And what's Stoneheart going to do next season if she's introduced?

(Series)
I still think Lady Stoneheart is going to be played mostly by a hooded body double. If they keep her not speaking, they can just drop her into episodes as needed to murder various Freys. The Brotherhood can exposition for her, and she can just be a shadowy figure in the background a few times during the season since they don't have to come up with things for her to do every episode. Then they can try to bring the actress back in a few years, when Stoneheart encounters Brienne.

I also expect Arya's road adventures with The Hound to wind up eating up a large chunk of her season four activities if they keep her to a limited number of scenes per episode. There should be enough going on elsewhere in the story that her being slow goes mostly unnoticed.

RaidenZR

Series
Ugh The Hound is dead, why can't he stay dead? Prime example of one of the characters in the series that "dies" and yet now he's apparently alive again when he already had a satisfactory and fitting death.

Gonna disagree with you here, Steely. [series]
I wasn't satisfied with the Hound's "death" so I'm glad he is still alive, in theory. I always felt the books subtly suggested some kind of impending confrontation with his brother, so I've been waiting for that scenario to start lining up.

[ASOS]

ASOS
Given what they've done with Theon this season, I think they can string her storyline out. Not that it'll necessarily be any good, but they'll find a way.

Jayof9s

[ASOS]

I think we're going to start seeing more AFFC/ADWD material in Season 4. They've already covered more than half of ASOS and they haven't been afraid to move things around chronologically when it suits them.

I'm hoping we'll see ASOS/AFFC/ADWD in Season 4, AFFC/ADWD in Season 5 and then in Season 6 finish up any remaining AFFC/ADWD stuff while including a lot from TWOW; at a minimum the 'cliffhangers' that we've been told will be handled early in TWOW. (i.e.
the battles between Stannis and Ramsey, and the battle of Meereen, etc.)

[ASOS]

[series]
Personally, I don't buy the talk that series 4 will just be an adaptation of the back half of ASOS. We're going to see substantial AFFC/ADWD content. I reckon Asha/Yara appears in Mhysa to signify Balon's death and the Kingsmoot and all of the other AFFC Iron Islands stuff will be moved to next season, we'll see significant Dornish plot and introductions to the likes of Arriane and Doran Martell, we'll see Arya in Braavos, we'll see elements of ADWD's Northern material, we'll see Bran north of the wall... Of course, we'll see reinvented and added material (Osha and Rickon travelling to the Umbers, added Bolton stuff, etc.), but it's going to be far less of a straight adaptation than series 3 has been.

Brashnir

[series]
Personally, I don't buy the talk that series 4 will just be an adaptation of the back half of ASOS. We're going to see substantial AFFC/ADWD content. I reckon Asha/Yara appears in Mhysa to signify Balon's death and the Kingsmoot and all of the other AFFC Iron Islands stuff will be moved to next season, we'll see significant Dornish plot and introductions to the likes of Arriane and Doran Martell, we'll see Arya in Braavos, we'll see elements of ADWD's Northern material, we'll see Bran north of the wall... Of course, we'll see reinvented and added material (Osha and Rickon travelling to the Umbers, added Bolton stuff, etc.), but it's going to be far less of a straight adaptation than series 3 has been.

this seems reasonable to me.

Speevy

Banned
The recaps aren't always a perfect indicator for what's going to happen.

I think the fact that there's no Beric Dondarrion in that recap is telling, though.

Burt

Well, he's screwed. The show catching up is inevitable. Personally, I don't even see how everything is going to tie together in just two more books.
Absolutely agree. I feel like GRRM should've kept AFFC and ADWD as one book so that he would still have that cushion as the story transitions into, well... the stuff that's coming from beyond the wall. That's supposed to be the primary overarching story, but I don't think there's a great chance that he can tie all the plot threads together and make the "big bad" a powerful enough force (in terms of plot presence).

Of course, him being the sadist that he is, if he feels this way he might just simplify things by having that comet come back to crash and blow up Essos. Never asks gifts or place expectations on the Grrm. He's like an evil genie that'll twist whatever you say.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Conan interview was really entertaining and funny, one of the better ones I've seen of him. Love how he's a full on celebrity now.

Gotta write fast, but it don't matter. WoW ok, but no way we're seeing DoS before the show catches up. I've already made pace with the notion that I'll be seeing the end of this saga on tv first.

Jayof9s

The Conan interview was really entertaining and funny, one of the better ones I've seen of him. Love how he's a full on celebrity now.

Gotta write fast, but it don't matter. WoW ok, but no way we're seeing DoS before the show catches up. I've already made pace with the notion that I'll be seeing the end of this saga on tv first.

I doubt we'll even see TWOW before the show catches up and finishes out. But maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.

What was Stannis' role in season three? I haven't seen this season yet, so I'm curious. ASOS
If I remember correctly, Stannis spends most of the book on Dragonstone licking his wounds.
Did the show writers change his storyline at all?

What was Stannis' role in season three? I haven't seen this season yet, so I'm curious. ASOS
If I remember correctly, Stannis spends most of the book on Dragonstone licking his wounds.

Didn't have much in this season, other than the leeches.

Speaking of the leeches...[ASoS]
ep 10 preview shows Asha. I suspect that they'll have Balon's death shown or announced?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

(ASOS)
They pretty much stick to that, but you do get to see Selyse and Shireen.

To me it seemed genuine when he said he is writing fast on TWOW. Although GRRM probably has his own definition of 'fast'.

I don't think he will allow the show to surpass him and take the risk that the writers fuck up his vision, even if they have done a (mostly) fine job so far.

I doubt we'll even see TWOW before the show catches up and finishes out. But maybe I'm just pessimistic about it.

I'm probably being optimistic, but I'm thinking TWOW will be out either a year before the show catches up, or released right before as some kind of marketing. Of course that's not taking into account any miscellaneous stuff from TWOW that they may throw in earlier seasons.

Speevy

Banned
ASOS

This is how I think they're going to deal with Balon Greyjoy. He sees his son out on a bridge. Theon calls out to him. "Help me, father. Please." Balon walks out to reach for his son's hand, and the image disappears in a flash of fire. Balon falls off the bridge to his death.

ezrarh

To me it seemed genuine when he said he is writing fast on TWOW. Although GRRM probably has his own definition of 'fast'.

I don't think he will allow the show to surpass him and take the risk that the writers fuck up his vision, even if they have done a (mostly) fine job so far.

I'm hoping it's this. It'll be good for him to have some kind of deadline I think.

- NY Mag: For HBO, Game of Thrones Ratings Second Only to The Sopranos
ky4SwCe.png

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ASOS

This is how I think they're going to deal with Balon Greyjoy. He sees his son out on a bridge. Theon calls out to him. "Help me, father. Please." Balon walks out to reach for his son's hand, and the image disappears in a flash of fire. Balon falls off the bridge to his death.

Boooooo. (ASOS)
We cut to Theon's face to reveal someone else. The man pushes Balon off the bridge. "Valar Morghulis, motherfucker." and the Faceless Man moonwalks back inside.

Joni

ASOS

That would be awful.
Balon doesn't care about Theon.

Iksenpets

Banned
That would be awful.
Balon doesn't care about Theon.

Series
Yeah I don't think they'll do anything crazy with his death. He'll just fall off the bridge. I think their hook for viewers will be that Jaqen will be the Faceless Man who kills him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Boooooo. (ASOS)
We cut to Theon's face to reveal someone else. The man pushes Balon off the bridge. "Valar Morghulis, motherfucker." and the Faceless Man moonwalks back inside.
I LOLed.

[series]
I'll be really thrilled if we see a face-changing man push Balon off. Shouldn't be Jaqen, IMO, besides he already changed his face... that reminds me, will that extra come back in S5 as the Alchemist? XD

flyover

I have a feeling that, they will only show one of the following in the last episode: Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart.

I've said before that my suspicion, based on nothing really, is that the last episode (and maybe the last scene) may not have [SERIES]
Stoneheart. But it may well have the Brotherhood pulling Cat's body out of the river. We will get a good view of her neck and Beric's neck, and people can connect the dots over where that's going. Means they can push back the actual resurrection to Season 4.

Either that, or we do get Stoneheart, and she moonwalks. They blow their whole moonwalking budget in the finale.

devilhawk

[series]

Based on casting reports, that just won't be true. Season 4 will be almost all ASoS related.

Well
[all books I guess]
There's Khal Drogo's old mate. Can't remember his name. In the show Drogo kills him but old mate injures Drogo leading to his death. In the books he's still alive and Dany has promised to fuck him up in the future.

An obvious one is Walder Frey's wife. In the books Catlyn killed a son of his who was a halfwit right

Can't think of any others.
Maybe he's including Talisa as Jeyne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom