• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, George. Let's not kid ourselves here.

When it comes to the point that they're running out of material from the books, I sincerely hope they just keep on going. GRRM holding his hand up and stopping production or forcing them into a ridiculous prequel season isn't happening.

Also, fuck what he says. Chop away judiciously at AFFC/ADWD.
Yeah I think in the past he's said he hoped for 3 seasons total between the two books. Not gonna happen.

It could very easily be done in half of that.

jett

D-Member
Yes, prepare to see AFFC/ADWD chopped up.

GRRM is delusional. You'd think someone with his TV experience would know better than this.

GRRM is nuts. Welp, that's what you get. Now your writing process and fan expectation is going to be undoubtedly fucked with by whatever it is D&D decide to do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It wouldn't even be possible to film all of AFFC/ADWD. Too many locations, too many characters, it would break the bank. And make for some poor television.

I frankly don't really know how most of it, even the good stuff, is filmable.

ADWD
20-foot dragons and shit? This show can't afford that.

Ugh, George. Let's not kid ourselves here.

When it comes to the point that they're running out of material from the books, I sincerely hope they just keep on going. GRRM holding his hand up and stopping production or forcing them into a ridiculous prequel season isn't happening.

Also, fuck what he says. Chop away judiciously at AFFC/ADWD.

It could very easily be done in half of that.

Yeah, I've always thought that a season and a half would be about the most those two books could handle without alienating watchers. Maybe they'll find a way to add something to pad them out.

I frankly don't really know how most of it, even the good stuff, is filmable.

ADWD
20-foot dragons and shit? This show can't afford that.

Yeah, that'd be another hurdle.
They can restructure some scenes to avoid showing that except when absolutely necessary, but at some places it's going to be unavoidable.

Yeah, I've always thought that a season and a half would be about the most those two books could handle without alienating watchers. Maybe they'll find a way to add something to pad them out.

It doesn't make sense to pad things out when they still have to adapt the last two books of this series, and won't have an unlimited number of seasons to do it. If you pad out AFFC/ADWD, you're conceding that the show won't have a proper ending.

ezrarh

Yeah..there's no way they're doing 2 full seasons for AFFC/ADWD. Just wouldn't work for television and it's already spread out enough.

jett

D-Member
Seems like D&D are making some big cuts after S3, that's good.
I imagine all of Brienne's bullshit will get the axe.
That shit went nowhere.

So, I haven't read all of the books (stopped midway through SoS), but I have been spoiled for some future events...so I figured it would be wiser to post in here than in the no book spoilers thread.

I thought this episode was okay overall. I know it's impossible to beat the Red Wedding, so I'm alright with it being a slightly "slower" episode than that. Arya's scene was great - loved the pain in her eyes when she saw GreyRobb. Also really loved the Tyrion/Sansa interactions and Tyrion's dark turn during the Small Council meeting. Dark Tyrion is always fantastic to watch.

I wish it didn't end the way it did, though - I find Dany horribly boring, and I feel like the episode fizzled out after the excellent Stannis scene.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, that'd be another hurdle.
They can restructure some scenes to avoid showing that except when absolutely necessary, but at some places it's going to be unavoidable.

It's only going to get worse. As GRRM has said many times, the books were essentially written on purpose to be unfilmable. The kinds of battles we're about to get in TWOW and ADOS, whatever eventual finale this series gets are going to be fucking insane. The kind of stuff that just cannot be faithfully translated to television.

ShaneB

For season 4 (ASOS)
I totally forgot about the Sansa/Littlefinger/Lysa story, that's gonna be some good stuff.

I'm still kinda shocked at how underplayed this gets, lol. It's such a massive revelation as to what started the chain of events. It will be great to see it played out.

As for this series finale, great episode.... but yeah. I was really let down with Dany's scene being the series ender, and basically nulls a big "cliffhanger" ah well.

Seems like D&D are making some big cuts after S3, that's good.
I imagine all of Brienne's bullshit will get the axe.
That shit went nowhere.
AFFC
They've already set up her character, the arc won't get axed, it just won't show all of her travelogue stuff. It's something that will actually be pretty easy to adapt.

AFFC
They've already set up her character, the arc won't get axed, it just won't show all of her travelogue stuff. It's something that will actually be pretty easy to adapt.

AFFC

Kind of sucks that they axed the Bloody Mummers, and minimized Rorge and Biter which both give some weight to her final chapters. They'll probably just shove Locke in there. Weak.

jett

D-Member
Martin sounds pretty confident the saga will finish with the seventh book, though he still leaves open the possibility of an eighth. “I have a story to tell; the number of books is almost irrelevant,” he says. “I’ll do that in as many books as required. I’m still projecting it as seven.”

lolololol

Expect Book 8: Winterfell Boogaloo

AFFC

I guess. I just don't remember anything of import going in there.

AFFC
The Stoneheart and Jaime stuff is presumably going somewhere. If they cut that out, they'd have to find something entirely new for Brienne and Jaime to do.

With a lot of these things it's tough to know what is essential because the series is unfinished. And small changes can have larger effects seasons down the line.

jett

D-Member
AFFC
The Stoneheart and Jaime stuff is presumably going somewhere. If they cut that out, they'd have to find something entirely new for Brienne and Jaime to do.

I guess, but they do have to cut stuff, even if it goes eventually somewhere. Come S5 they will definitely not be adapting all plotlines, not even partly.

Like D&D said, negative population growth.

Betty

Banned
AFFC

AFFC:
But it's boooooooring... watching a good character go the wrong way with boring companions is not my idea of good tv:(

[AFFC]
I imagine they've been laying the ground for Brienne's material by building up Pod this season.

It's also necessary for Lady Stoneheart shenanigans.
AFFC:
But it's boooooooring... watching a good character go the wrong way with boring companions is not my idea of good tv:(

Fortunately, the show has made one of those companions into Podrick Payne, World's Greatest Lover.

AFFC:

It won't be boring when they turn it into a small numbers of scenes.
You won't get the Crackclaw point stuff, or likely the Tarly meeting, or the travelogue details. It will be fine on TV.

I guess, but they do have to cut stuff, even if it goes eventually somewhere. Come S5 they will definitely not be adapting all plotlines, not even partly.

Like D&D said, negative population growth.

I expect Dorne and the Iron Islands to have characters combined, locations trimmed, and the plotlines simplified mightily. And ADWD's
Essos
stuff is going to be radically restructured.

I expect Dorne and the Iron Islands to have characters combined, locations trimmed, and the plotlines simplified mightily.

We've seen the beginnings of this with
Asha's intrigues in the Kingsmoot becoming Yara on a quest to save Theon.

They're probably going to cut the Kingsmoot, and maybe just have Victarion sit the Seastone Chair in Yara's absence.

Betty

Banned
[AFFC]
Fortunately, the show has made one of those companions into Podrick Payne, World's Greatest Lover.

I'm still not sure what the point of all that was.

AFFC
James Purefoy for DICK CRABB!!!

With the right make-up, sure! Though I always considered the character much older and wizened.

It won't be boring when they turn it into a small numbers of scenes.

I guess, I just groaned every time a
Brienne chapter came up in Feast.

Massa

I loved the King in the North in the intro, Arya, Bran and Sam ("It's not what it looks like."). Ramsay, King's Landingg and Daenerys scenes were a little flat. Stannis was fucking terrible, god awful. Like, "did these fuckers read the same books I did" awful.

I liked how even the Hound was disgusted at Robbwind.

Brienne's stuff almost made me quit AFFC, none of the show-only audience will give a shit about
Rorge and Biter. And there are no Bloody Mummers to clean up after. Aside from meeting Sam's dad they don't really have an excuse to give her much screen time after Season 4. After she returns to King's Landing she's a plot device for Jaime's redemption

As for Yara,
I don't know why they're sending her back to the North. Euron and Victarion will probably be introduced early in season 4, it would be easier from a logistical standpoint to just leave her in Pyke since we know she never makes it to The Dreadfort.

aceface

After season 4, they should just do two 90 minute or two-hour specials a year until George catches up, Doctor Who did something similar when they switched production teams a few years back.

If you really want to get crazy have each special focus on just one of the stories- Dany, the North, King's Landing stuff, etc.

After season 4, they should just do two 90 minute or two-hour specials a year until George catches up, Doctor Who did something similar when they switched production teams a few years back.

If you really want to get crazy have each special focus on just one of the stories- Dany, the North, King's Landing stuff, etc.

GRRM might take another 10 years to finish this, there's no way they can wait.

If GRRM can't be arsed to write, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the show pulled a Fullmetal Alchemist and just went on without him. That way we could have two distinct endings and debates for years about which was better.

#TeamBrotherhood

If GRRM can't be arsed to write, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the show pulled a Fullmetal Alchemist and just went on without him. That way we could have two distinct endings and debates for years about which was better.

#TeamBrotherhood

That's what they've said they will do and it's what will happen unless the show is canceled. GRRM might get TWOW out before the show catches up (though that's not guaranteed), but for anything beyond that is impossible for him to stay ahead of the TV show.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sad we didn't get the Black Gate scene from the books. I loved the image of the Gate being alive and having Sam recite the oath. Also, with as much as this show loves to show people fucking I'm really surprised they didn't show us the book version of Jamie's return. Robbwind wasn't as disturbing as it was in the books - I had always pictured that scene the way it appears in the House of the Undying chapter in A Clash of Kings which is way more disturbing than the scene we got in this episode.

Sort of an "eh" end to the season. Last episode was the real season finale.

th3dude

That's what i've been wondering. (ASOS)
and when they do eventually reveal the stoneheart thing, how will they explain it? Will they just have to explain Beric giving up his life for her through some clunky ass exposition or will they show it happen earlier in the season? I'm really wondering how they're gonna deal with that stuff

As someone who just finished ASoS, I don't think what you are referring to is in ASoS. It is teased in the epilogue but not explained at all. Dammit.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Is it just me or is Bran way more enjoyable on the show than in the books?

I just remember every Bran chapter in the books being like having my teeth pulled, while I really enjoy every scene of his in the show. The kid's a pretty solid actor, Jojen and Meera aren't annoying, and even Hodor is less Hodor-y than in the books.

I really think that particular character arc, at this point, is my biggest pleasant surprise of the series thus far.

As someone who just finished ASoS, I don't think what you are referring to is in ASoS. Dammit.

I'm almost positive it happened near the end of ASoS

Loofy

Hmm I thought we were gonna see the wildlings attack castle black. But I guess that would have been too much after the last episode.
You know nothing Jon Snow

hoos30

AFFC
So will Asha get word of her father's death at sea and return to the Iron Islands for the Kingsmoot? I don't remember someone ever receiving news by raven out in the sea. Will she dock somewhere? This is a pretty random divergence since she is at Deepwood Motte when she receives that news.
Hopefully D&D cut the whole AFFC
Kingsmoot out. That was so boring. Why Hire all those actors for a chat em up?

This pressure is good for George. HBO is going to tell the story whether he's finished or not. If he doesn't want them to totally fuck with his creation, he better get his ass on that word processor.

As someone who just finished ASoS, I don't think what you are referring to is in ASoS. It is teased in the epilogue but not explained at all. Dammit.

I don't really remember when the entire t hing was explained, as its been a while since I read it. I'm reading ASOS again right now but i'm only about halfway through...really sorry about that, I edited the tag

Kuroyume

Banned
I liked the episode but that ending was so bad. They tried recreating the season 1 ending with the tribal/exotic music and instead it came off as cheesy. They should have ended with
Coldhands appearing and saving Bran from a Whitewalker or a group of wights.
That would have left people wondering what the hell they just saw.

Loved the Hound/Arya scenes this time around. Nice to see Arya finally get that kill and it was wonderful to see the Hound destroy some people.

Good stuff with Davos and Gendry. Good stuff all around actually except for that final scene. Favorite scene next two the Hound/Arya stuff had to be the council where Joffrey started losing his shit. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom