• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubq

This is some revisionist bullshit that I won't even bother addressing.
It's not revisionist. Stannis is an insufferable cunt in the books. Especially when ASOS/ADWD
he is an overbearing asshole "drop everything and do what I want even though your order is supposed to be neutral" King at the Wall.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
AFFC
So will Asha get word of her father's death at sea and return to the Iron Islands for the Kingsmoot? I don't remember someone ever receiving news by raven out in the sea. Will she dock somewhere? This is a pretty random divergence since she is at Deepwood Motte when she receives that news.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hated the finale. So boring. I was like "Is that it"?

ASOS
Should've done Stoneheart.
Totally flat compared to S2 and S1 Finales.

So Next Season:

ASOS (Second Half, MAJOR Spoilers)
1. Initial Wildling Raid
2. Purple Wedding
3. Oberyn VS The Mountain
4. Mance's Raid/Stannis to the Rescue
5. Tywin's Death
6. STONEHEART

Fuck, that's gonna be an awesome season. Shit on that that we need to wait this long

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I thought Jamie returned
after Joffrey's death
in the books. Does this mean they are going to stretch the story out and have episode 4.09 be
Joffrey's death
?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hated the finale. So boring. I was like "Is that it"?

ASOS
Should've done Stoneheart.
Totally flat compared to S2 and S1 Finales.

Best part of the finale is they didn't do ANYTHING with that. No hint, no nod, nothing.

Good on them.

I thought Jamie returned
after Joffrey's death
in the books. Does this mean they are going to stretch the story out and have episode 4.09 be
Joffrey's death
?

ASOS
I doubt it. Joffrey's death was not a big thing in the books, and that was the point. He was randomly murdered at his wedding. No fanfare, no buildup, no hints. I think it will bean episode 4 thing, like Dany and the unsullied this season. I think ep. 9 will be the Mountan Vs. Viper. Ep 10 will be Tyrion's escape and Tywin's murder.

I REALLY hope there is no build up to Shae and Tywin either. Needs to come out of nowhere like in the books.

hey anyone want to help a non-book reader: did this season cover the entirety of book 3, or just half of it?

i'm afraid of looking up the answer myself for fear of stumbling upon a spoiler.

Yara's new plotline excites me, because that's a whole raft of plot just ripped up and replaced with something else. It's different in a way we haven't seen before, and I can't really call what's going to happen with it.

Also, they've got about three chapters of Bran material left in the series. I imagine they'll [series]introduce Coldhands through him[/spoiler], which should pad things somewhat, but beyond that he needs new stuff.

Dawg

First season ending: hatching dragons.
Second season ending: goddamn army of the undead.
Third season ending: WE LOVE YOU CLEAN WHITE LADY, WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH

jett

D-Member
This is purely me spitballing and thinking like a TV writer but I think a lot of Stannis' development going forward (ADWD)
is going to be oriented around his interactions with Jon at Castle Black

I dunno, I don't see how that makes a difference with the character assassinating he's been getting.

It's not revisionist. Stannis is an insufferable cunt in the books. Especially when ASOS/ADWD
he is an overbearing asshole "drop everything and do what I want even though your order is supposed to be neutral" King at the Wall.

He is an asshole, but he's not a puts-the-pussy-on-a-pedestal asshole. These changes are just shit. In the book he does what he does because he feels it's right, not because he's Melisandre's lapdog.

Azrael

A good end to the season. The final scene wasn't climactic, but served as an essential counterpoint to the Red Wedding.

I don't like the way they rushed through the Dragonstone story line, and Stannis comes off once again as more evil than he is in the book, where he agonizes over the decision to sacrifice the boy, and I thought Melisandre's reaction to the letter, as if it was a revelation to her that the White Walkers are the real threat, was out of character.

Ending at the midway point of the book left the problem of how to give all the story arcs a sense of closure at the end of the season, and for the most part I think they pulled it off. I have a feeling season 4 is going to be where the show and books begin to diverge dramatically, because they are obviously inventing a new story arc for Ramsay, Theon, and Yara, and will need to expand several characters screen time, particularly Bran.

Plasmid

So Next Season:

ASOS (Second Half, MAJOR Spoilers)
1. Initial Wildling Raid
2. Purple Wedding
3. Oberyn VS The Mountain
4. Mance's Raid/Stannis to the Rescue
5. Tywin's Death
6. STONEHEART

Fuck, that's gonna be an awesome season. Shit on that that we need to wait this long

Non book readers will have their redemption for Robb.

ultron87

Enjoyed it even though it clearly suffered from "halfway through the book" syndrome. They picked good transition points for most of the characters.

[ASOS]
They are really setting up Cersei getting absolutely demolished by the next big wedding event.

kirblar

First season ending: hatching dragons.
Second season ending: goddamn army of the undead.
Third season ending: WE LOVE YOU CLEAN WHITE LADY, WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH
Yeah, this was most definitely a transition episode in ways the previous two weren't.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit surprised they actually showed the Robb/Grey Wind scene.

And Arya. They're getting her storyline back on track.

Davos is the best. "Can you swim?" "No." "Don't fall out."

I did not like the Shae/ Varys scene. I hate TV Shae. She didn't bother me in the books but I hate her on the show.

I don't mind that they ended on the slaves and Dany. It's a bit underwhelming but I'm glad that they didn't ASOS
end with Lady Stonehart.

Isn't it kind of weird that [...ACOK? Show spoiler I guess?]
Balon Greyjoy is still alive?

Yes. Especially considering they used some of Tyrion's dialogue straight out of the book when talking to Joffrey at the small council- [ASoS]
the whole retort to Joffrey regarding Kings dying after being called a monster. That makes sense in the book because at that point Balon has already died.

I thought the scene where Jaime entered Cersei's room was really touching (obviously recognizing how twisted that all is). So much emotion with only one word uttered.

Plasmid

ASOS
How do you guys feel about the way they presented Jaime. Doesn't he come back with Joffrey dead and they have sex in the septim? How are they going to make that a better scene with it out of order?

devilhawk

Wow. A whole of people were way off on their expectations.
ASoS
No Balon death and no Stoneheart

A lot of people were waaaaaaaay off.

jett

D-Member
Davos has really been done justice, and the actor is great in the role.

People that expected SH are just lulz. That would've been terrible.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Balon Greyjoy:
They needed to go back to him, and have some kind of scene, without immediately killing him. Otherwise, that would have been just stupid. Just assume that Episode 1 or 2 of season 4, will suffice.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I dont see why that would mean they are going stretch it. I cant really see how they could.

The reason why I think they might stretch it out is because it would follow tradition with the show and
if he dies in 4.09 then they would have to wait until 4.10 to bring Jamie back to Kings Landing which means that Jamie and Brienne would be doing fuck all for an entire season and I don't think they want to stretch that particular part out.
. I actually don't mind if they do it, I'm just wondering if they will. I think they have plenty of material to work with still.

The reason why I think they might stretch it out is because it would follow tradition with the show and
if he dies in 4.09 then they would have to wait until 4.10 to bring Jamie back to Kings Landing which means that Jamie and Brienne would be doing fuck all for an entire season and I don't think they want to stretch that particular part out.
. I actually don't mind if they do it, I'm just wondering if they will. I think they have plenty of material to work with still.

Everyone there would be doing fuck all in that scenario.

devilhawk

That's dumb. It will happen if the first three episodes. The aftermath still has to occur next year.

Joffrey's far, far more likely to die in the first 4 episodes of the series than he is in 4.09. They've only got to establish the Red Viper and Mace Tyrell before the Purple Wedding, whereas afterwards they have to deal with the trial, the Mountain vs. the Red Viper, Tywin's death, Jamie on the Kingsguard... way too much stuff.

They could be planning for the wedding and focus on all of the other characters in the show?

For 9 episodes? Not a hope in hell.

The PW will be a Astapor-style kicker, not an episode 9 centrepiece.
BTW, now that the show is effectively merging all upcoming books, that stupid fucking excuse to use spoiler tags won't work in next season's thread.
Yeah. They're using ADWD material with Bran and Yara at the very least.

SerRodrik

In a way I'm glad they (ASOS)
didn't introduce Stoneheart. It might have made the finale feel a little less interesting, but I think saving the reveal for when an unsuspecting Frey is hanged is a much more powerful reveal than just seeing her wash up on a riverbank and be brought back by Beric. To pull that off properly, you need a little more time to go by, both in character and out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I love that they had Arya drop the coin and then murder that guy when he went to pick it up. It's about time that happened.

Joffrey's far, far more likely to die in the first 4 episodes of the series than he is in 4.09. They've only got to establish the Red Viper and Mace Tyrell before the Purple Wedding, whereas afterwards they have to deal with the trial, the Mountain vs. the Red Viper, Tywin's death, Jamie on the Kingsguard... way too much stuff.

ASOS
Agreed completely. Joffreys Death - Tyrion's Trial - Trial by Combat. That's an episode for each

jett

D-Member
ASOS
Stoneheart will be the last scene of next season. It will be glorious and 10x better than a reveal this season would have been

Exactly. Not that I like that thing, but it would definitely be better. However, can they really stretch out the last third of ASOS into a single season?

Zabka

It rhymes with meek.

BTW, now that the show is effectively merging all upcoming books, that stupid fucking excuse to use spoiler tags won't work in next season's thread.

That is an excellent point. The 4th and 5th books are going to start leaking in so waiting for people to catch up will be pointless.

My only real disappointment with this episode was a lack of
Coldhands

Also...ADWD
I look forward to the adventures of Ramsay and Reek next season

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Exactly. Not that I like that thing, but it would definitely be better. However, can they really stretch out the last third of ASOS into a single season?

So Next Season: ASOS (Second Half, MAJOR Spoilers)
1. Initial Wildling Raid 2. Purple Wedding 3. Oberyn VS The Mountain 4. Mance's Raid/Stannis to the Rescue 5. Tywin's Death 6. STONEHEART Fuck, that's gonna be an awesome season. Shit on that that we need to wait this long

Definitely possible. Hell, sprinkle some AFFC/ADWD in there too.

Pretty good final episode, albeit extremely crowded. The final scene was pretty weak compared to what we've had in the past. Also didn't really care for how the final Stannis scene played out.

As for the season as a whole, it was definitely an improvement over season 2 and probably about on par with season 1. Hopefully things will continue to improve next season, and given the source material it should.

That's what i've been wondering. (ASOS/AFFC)
and when they do eventually reveal the stoneheart thing, how will they explain it? Will they just have to explain Beric giving up his life for her through some clunky ass exposition or will they show it happen earlier in the season? I'm really wondering how they're gonna deal with that stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom