• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh is everyone in TV land just waiting to tell their life story to whoever passes by? One heartfelt conversation per episode is tolerable, but to have Gendry/Davos, Cersei/Tyrion, and Varys/Shae all have heart to heart talks in the same episode was way too much.

I laughed at [series, I guess]
Yara saying she's going to march on the Dreadfort and rescue Theon. Yeah, good luck with that.
Dany's scene at the end was pretty funny too with the way they kept cutting back to the same extras in the crowd of supposedly thousands. The awkward staging and Emilia Clarke's stilted acting did not help that scene either.

Damn show Stannis sucks. He's got none of that stubborn, socially awkward, blunt-speaking charm that he had in the books. Melisadnre's pretty lame as well, although I wasn't a fan of her in the books either.

Season 4 looks like it's going to have enough padding to make AFFC/ADWD era Martin proud. Before the episode I was sure they were going to bridge books 3 and 4, but with how slow this episode was and the hint of filler plotlines to come it looks like they're going to try to stretch 1/3 of ASOS into a whole season.

Arya and Sansa were great though. Also a good showing from Theon's cock.

Sam, wizard status: achieved.

E6e56UJ.png

At least when it comes to story tropes.

Iksenpets

Banned
My bigger problem with Stannis is that they straight up said ASOS
he's going to the wall. That was the biggest shock moment in ASOS for me, and now it's just going to be completely expected.

exYle

he's going to the wall. That was the biggest shock moment in ASOS for me, and now it's just going to be completely expected.

I feel like that detail will be forgotten in all of the hullabaloo next season when suddenly BAM

forrest

formerly nacire
As a non book reader (to be remedied once the show plays out) I really enjoyed the closing scene with Dany. I thought it was quite moving and reminiscent of the Season One Finale.

As far as Stannis goes, I just don't see anything to like in the character that is portrayed on the show. I know the book readers have more to go on and at this point I kinda wish I didn't know that I "should" be liking him more.

Loved the implications of the Rat Cook story. Tasting some sweetly deserved karma already!

Also, Arya!

The question is ASOS/ADWD
what this means for when the Battle for the Wall will take place. How long can they really have Stannis disappear from the show for? If the Asha storyline is being moved up, likely so is much of the rest of the stuff happening in the North.

Trasher

Huh? There's only a 1/3 of ASOS left, they have more time than they need. They will need to bring in later material and pad things out to make it last a whole season.

ASoS stuff
Well let's list the important stuff they need to show next season (in no specific order):

1. Introduce and develop the Dorne side

2. Tyrion/Viper relationship

3. Purple Wedding

4. Sansa's disappearance

5. Jaime/Brienne (will get lots of attention I imagine)

6. Tyrion trials

7. Viper vs Mountain

8. Bran et al meeting Coldhands

9. Wildling attack with Ygritte dying

10. Jon being named Lord Commander

11. Arya/Hound inn scene (getting Needle back)

12. Defense of the wall

13. Stannis arriving at the wall (possible last scene of the season)

14. Littlefinger/Lysa moon door

15. Lady Stoneheart (possible last scene of the season)

16. Arya getting on a boat to leave to Braavos

17. Tyrion escaping his cell/talking to Jaime/killing Shae and Tywin (possible last scene of the season)

Probably missing a lot of stuff. That was just a quick list of things I could think of right now.

Edit: They will also have to do stuff with Theon's story at this point now too. I also have no idea what is going to happen with Gendry. The way that episode ended made it seem like he's free to do anything he wants now.

Moff

havent seen it yet
[ASOS]
so, no tywin slapping joffrey, no coldhands, no balon greyjoy death, no gate and no stoneheart?
seems like a terribly boring finale that would have had so much potential

ASoS stuff
Well let's list the important stuff they need to show next season (in no specific order):

1. Introduce and develop the Dorne side

2. Tyrion/Viper relationship

3. Purple Wedding

4. Sansa's disappearance

5. Jaime/Brienne (will get lots of attention I imagine)

6. Tyrion trials

7. Viper vs Mountain

8. Bran et al meeting Coldhands

9. Wildling attack with Ygritte dying

10. Jon being named Lord Commander

11. Arya/Hound inn scene (getting Needle back)

12. Defense of the wall

13. Stannis arriving at the wall (possible last scene of the season)

14. Littlefinger/Lysa moon door

15. Lady Stoneheart (possible last scene of the season)

16. Arya getting on a boat to leave to Braavos

17. Tyrion escaping his cell/talking to Jaime/killing Shae and Tywin (possible last scene of the season)

Probably missing a lot of stuff. That was just a quick list of things I could think of right now.

Edit: They will also have to do stuff with Theon's story at this point now too.

Arya and Bran have enough material to cover a couple of scenes, and they have to stretch that across an entire season. A lot of the other stuff you've mentioned is also only going to take one scene. The Yara stuff is obviously being introduced to give Theon and Yara stuff to do so that they don't just disappear for a season. Compared to the first three seasons, this list isn't that much stuff.

pulga

Banned
From the other thread:

Okay several things guys:

3. Hell yeah! I'm not a book reader but I was lucky enough to guess Yara and the Iron born would save Theon based on seeing them in the preview! I totally called it and I can't believe it because most of my predictions were wrong. I thought there was no way Robv and Catt and the arny would die and then the unexpected happened last week!

Ramsey Snow you're about to get fucked by 50 of the coldest Iron born killers and a vengeful Theon you sick fuck you! I love Yara and good for her for standing up to her father! Fuck Balon though! That's your son asshole!

lol. Will be interesting to see where this Yara stuff diverges into

pulga

Banned
SERIES
She gets to the Dreadfort, then a messenger shows up and tells her that her father has died and there's going to be a Kingsmoot. She sails back.

The castle walls would be littered with heads on spikes if that actually happened haha.

Guess they really are dropping
Yara's claim to the throne for next season. They can still do Victarion vs Euron, though!

Trasher

Arya and Bran have enough material to cover a couple of scenes, and they have to stretch that across an entire season. A lot of the other stuff you've mentioned is also only going to take one scene. The Yara stuff is obviously being introduced to give Theon and Yara stuff to do so that they don't just disappear for a season. Compared to the first three seasons, this list isn't that much stuff.

I didn't even touch on Dany stuff either haha; although that stuff shouldn't take too much time either.

Yeah I guess it just seems like a whole lot more in my head. I think the whole developing (ASOS)
Dorne
characters seems the most taxing as far as devoting screen time to.

However, I think season 4 has the potential to be the best season yet. I know this first half of the book had arguably the most shocking moment in the series thus far, but the culmination at the end of this book is pretty damn awesome. I can't wait. #TeamSeason4

Apath

I just don't get what Yara expects to accomplish with 50 men. It's nothing like when Theon took Winterfell, where he had intimate knowledge of the fortress and the castle was severely under manned. Not to mention Ramsay has a hostage.

it doesnt?
isnt there a scene where joffrey says something like kings need to be bold etc. and tywin slaps him? was that only in my imagination?
He reprimands him and Joffrey quotes Robert about how Tywin hid in Casterly Rock, I don't remember Tywin striking him.

I didn't even touch on Dany stuff either haha; although that stuff shouldn't take too much time either.

Yeah I guess it just seems like a whole lot more in my head. I think the whole developing (ASOS)
Dorne
characters seems the most taxing as far as devoting screen time to.

However, I think season 4 has the potential to be the best season yet. I know this first half of the book had arguably the most shocking moment in the series thus far, but the culmination at the end of this book is pretty damn awesome. I can't wait. #TeamSeason4
Why does
Dorne
need that much time? ASOS
Oberyn and his sister's story is the only thing they need to develop.
That takes a few scenes, all of which are already written in the book.

ASoS stuff
Edit: They will also have to do stuff with Theon's story at this point now too. I also have no idea what is going to happen with Gendry. The way that episode ended made it seem like he's free to do anything he wants now.
You missed Dany's whole ark

Trasher

I just don't get what Yara expects to accomplish with 50 men. It's nothing like when Theon took Winterfell, where he had intimate knowledge of the fortress and the castle was severely under manned. Not to mention Ramsay has a hostage.

AFFC
From the ASOIAF wiki:

A Feast for Crows

Asha informs Rodrik Harlaw she had searched for Theon at Winterfell after it was sacked but was unable to identify him amongst the bodies. She returns to the isles after Balon's death to claim the Seastone Chair.

They are going to have to change her stuff so much lol.

Series
Do they just make things simple and have the Kingsmoot in Deepwood Motte? The show likes using shortcuts fairly often, so I honestly could even see Stannis capturing her prior to even going North (perhaps taking her on the way up there). Seems unlikely, but they apparently want to give her stuff to do.

You missed Dany's whole ark

I mentioned it a few posts above yours actually. But she doesn't have much of an arc in the second half of the book:
All that she really has to do is send Jorah away at some point. They could also start introducing some of the minor characters that appear in later books aka Dany's counsel in ADWD (all the dudes with super weird names lol).

Edit: Wow. They literally covered just about everything she has done in book 3 in this one season except for the one thing I mentioned. So I'm not sure what arc of hers you are talking about. What am I forgetting that she has yet to do?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I was really hoping that the season ended with AFFC
Beric giving up his life for Lady Stoneheart
. That would have been the perfect cliffhanger goddammit!

I thought he did pretty good =/

I thought he was fine too.

edit:

AFFC
I was against having Stoneheart's reveal this season earlier on. But after tonight I feel like it would have been a pretty good ending to the season. At least better than the ending we got. I was hoping to see some Nymeria too, but the wolves are a lost cause on the show.

pulga

Banned
Im personally disappointed ASOS
Coldhands didn't make an appearance. Should've ended the season with the usual new, magical phenomenon to entice audiences. Stoneheart can wait for next year, but they do need to show the scene with Arya dream-warging into Nymeria at some point early on next season. I really hope they don't fuck this up and try to sell Bran as the only warg in the family.

Hopefully this is the right thread this time, don't want to get banned for mentioning that I've read the books again :D

The depiction of Robb on the horse was rather horrifying, for whatever reason I had made my mental image in the book as [ASOS]
[The direwolf's head had just been sewn on next to his, not quite sure how I came to that. Been a while

Dude playing the Davos is awesome, so is the Lannister scenes and Jon Snow's and Ygritte's. The only thing I'm really annoyed is how the show wrote Stannis and Daenerys. Terrible

ASOS
Shame the show didn't include the ancient weirwood talking door

An excellent episode marred by Daenerys

Snake

I thought it was a wonderful episode in so many ways. The big exception being Dany, which was both a weak scene and a weak ending for the season. A lot of the other complaints I've read are rather mindboggling. There was so much substance and moving of things back in their proper place for what is to come. I can understand that people didn't like how Stannis was at the end, but that's the only character criticism I can buy. It's kind of funny that some people don't understand what they're doing with [SERIES]
Cersei and Tyrion, and how it's going to turn on its head soon enough in Season 4

And the restraint. By the gods, The necessary restraint was so good. I can smell that payoff from a year away.

edit: Soooooo glad that Robbwind turned out just fine after all that handwringing. That and the destruction of the Northern forces at the beginning was great.

edit2: and Joff! Never forget the Joff. Could there be any sweeter a character? Gleason is my constant.

samn

What disappoints me about the ending Dany scene is that the show usually seems to subvert this Disney-fied bollocks. I don't believe any of that would happen for a second.

I thought it was a wonderful episode in so many ways. The big exception being Dany, which was both a weak scene and a weak ending for the season. A lot of the other complaints I've read are rather mindboggling. There was so much substance and moving of things back in their proper place for what is to come. I can understand that people didn't like how Stannis was at the end, but that's the only character criticism I can buy. It's kind of funny that some people don't understand what they're doing with [SERIES]
Cersei and Tyrion, and how it's going to turn on its head soon enough in Season 4

Cersei/Tyrion doesn't make any sense, though. We've seen them do awful things to each other, we know that they hate each other and are both well aware that the feeling is mutual. Tyrion even promised that he would destroy her, that he would turn her happiness to dust, and despite all this, she decides to confide in him and make herself vulnerable? And beyond that implausibility, scene after scene of characters sitting down and having these deep conversations where they basically come out and tell the audience "THIS IS WHAT I'M THINKING, THIS IS WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT" is not good television.

Chris R

What a missed opportunity in the ending tonight for this season :(

series
Stoneheart would have given everyone who was ultra bummed at the end of the Red Wedding and got them EXCITED to see the North remember. Just everything being so down for the Starks made some people I know not as excited about the show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom