• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

The explanation about
Beric
in the last sentence does not.

I didn't think so. It is just teased in the epilogue that [ASoS]
Cat is alive (brought back) and with Berics crew. That's all.

No worries about the tags, just wanted to point it out for others :) I still have no idea what you were talking about so nothing ruined.

Massa

The only redeeming quality of the final scene was Emilia Clarke's beautiful smile. The directing there was kind of bad.

hoos30

I dunno, I don't see how that makes a difference with the character assassinating he's been getting.

He is an asshole, but he's not a puts-the-pussy-on-a-pedestal asshole. These changes are just shit. In the book he does what he does because he feels it's right, not because he's Melisandre's lapdog.

He's not Mel's lapdog, for heavens sake, they framed the shot so you couldn't miss it; Davos (the good angel) standing on one shoulder and Mel standing on the other.

Magnus

Like others, I'm very surprised they didn't pick from a wide assortment of possible shockers/scenes/etc. to tap out with, to really get people talking for months and months right till the next season arrives in 2014.

Episode was rich with character and great moments, but aside from the setup, a little unworthy of that finale triumph.

The Mysha scene tried to get some of that triumph going, but it didn't feel earned at all. As many noted, Dany really didn't do the work here, or at least, the show hasn't shown us that she's put the time in to earn that kind of loyalty and respect. The entire thing came off feeling hollow as fuck, even if she set the events in motion.

I don't know.

I'm a little gutted. I think I expected a bit more to happen this week!

Great humour all throughout though. Hodor. Blind Old Aemon with "this isn't what it looks like". Tyrion + anyone. The ladies swooning over Pod. Great stuff.

He's not Mel's lapdog, for heavens sake, they framed the shot so you couldn't miss it; Davos (the good angel) standing on one shoulder and Mel standing on the other.

It was indeed a shot laden with brutal symbolism, haha. I actually think they've done that before with those exact three characters too...?

Bonus Question: Anyone else get a nerd boner anytime they say Stormborn in Valyrian? "Jelmāzmo". Lovely.

When I saw that shot it instantly reminded me of this one from the first episode

gameofthrones-ned-catk6k1e.jpg

Is it just me or is Bran way more enjoyable on the show than in the books?

I just remember every Bran chapter in the books being like having my teeth pulled, while I really enjoy every scene of his in the show. The kid's a pretty solid actor, Jojen and Meera aren't annoying, and even Hodor is less Hodor-y than in the books.

I really think that particular character arc, at this point, is my biggest pleasant surprise of the series thus far.

I'm almost positive it happened near the end of ASoS

Jojen isn't nearly as preachy, Bran isn't as whiny, and there is a lot less time spent on just walking from location to location.

Dysun

Not sure if it was my least favorite episode of the season, but it might be close.

Robbwind was creepy and didn't look as bad as that production still we had leaking around earlier. Arya's scene was great, Valar Morghulis. Walder and Bolton's little interaction was appreciated.
Bitch Stannis was disappointing, I hadn't been drinking the kool-aid about how something is wrong with his character until today. TV Melisandre has him wrapped around her finger
ASoS
Didn't expect to see Balon, thought he would die off-screen but it looks like D&D are adding some filler for Yara before the Kingsmoot and Balon meets his ignoble end.

Mhysa on TV was a terrible final shot, and came off cheesy as hell.

ASoS
No magical cliffhanger ala S1/S2, restraint with Stoneheart is good, but it should have been Coldhands in that case. Would have been a nice cliffhanger for S4

Massa

Mel's the one who saves Davos. Stannis just says 'yes, woman'.

Totally fucking ruined.

cj_iwakura

Totally fucking ruined.

I think it worked. Stannis is hard like that. Davos betrayed him and would die for it, and Melisandre of all people stepped in. It might seem off to book readers, but I think at least show readers will find it interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yikes, I thought this was a terrible episode. Its fine if nothing happens plotwise, but you've got to give some kind of lead in to the next season. The final scene in its entirety was cringeworthy, really.

What is the best way to transition from season 3 to the books?

Start from the first book ideally. You could start from the second, but there are a few scenes in the first book that you really should check out first, either through audiobook clips on youtube or reading the chapters themselves. But really, I would strongly recommend just starting from the beginning

Ghost23

That last scene was so disappointing. The whole time I was thinking, "Please don't go to credits, please don't go to credits. You have to end on a better scene."

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I really liked this finale. I'm super surprised so many people in the non-book readers thread hated it so much. yeesh.

So many exciting adventures coming soon :)

hoos30

That Dany scene was ridiculous on so many levels, and frankly, a bit worrying.

This is a city full of bed slaves and EVERY one of them is completely filthy? I'd rather have seen her making googly eyes at Daario for five minutes, okay not really but at least have them walking toward ASOS
Mereen
and talking strategy. Hell, throw the show watchers a bone and have someone say, "Hey guyz, we can buy ships and sail for Westeros now!"

Next season and the year after when Dany has AFFC/ADWD
nothing but bullshit to do
, how are D&D going to handle it?

This is a city full of bed slaves and EVERY one of them is completely filthy? I'd rather have seen her making googly eyes at Daario for five minutes, okay not really but at least have them walking toward ASOS
Mereen
and talking strategy. Hell, throw the show watchers a bone and have someone say, "Hey guyz, we can buy ships and sail for Westeros now!"

ASOS
Even having Dany capture yet another slave city is kind of bullshit. Is anyone really going to want to see that again?

Mereen

Series
Who is the richest man in Mereen?

mr2xxx

Banned
Already read the first and the second until Dany was aquiring the unsullied. What did I miss from the first, it's been like 5 years but I can't recall any major thing that was left out. Guess ill just read online summaries until the part I left on and just skim the books to the red wedding.

Edit: wait the red Wedding is book 4? Damn transitioning is going to be cluster fuck.

Gvaz

Banned
Man, all the forshadowing to the fifth books in the last episode is crazy.

Also what the fuck Asha doesn't care about theon that much.

Already read the first and the second until Dany was aquiring the unsullied. What did I miss from the first, it's been like 5 years but I can't recall any major thing that was left out. Guess ill just read online summaries until the part I left on and just skim the books to the red wedding.

Edit: wait the red Wedding is book 4? Damn transitioning is going to be cluster fuck.

I think this is probably the most important thing that hasn't been included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Mp8MzAjAY

And maybe Bran's dream as well since it has some crazy foreshadowing

iammeiam

AFFC/ADWD -
Dany's story should actually break up okay, I think, as long as she's not the main action of episodes.

S4 she takes Mereen, only this time she has to actually fight for it instead of just rolling up and owning, ultimately deciding she needs to stay and rule.

S5 she learns to rule, grows increasingly frustrated with stupid bullshit going on. Also frustrated by people not liking her dragons for poaching livestock. End her season with the reveal that the dragons moved up to eating kids, lock away the dragons.

S6 is emo Dany, impending war, false Targaryen kid. Flies off on Drogon, caps the season with meeting the khalasar.

The details would need a lot of filling in, but I do think there's a bare outline that can span seasons there.

Apath

Man, all the forshadowing to the fifth books in the last episode is crazy.

Also what the fuck Asha doesn't care about theon that much.

More so than that, what the fuck does she plan to do with 50 men against the Dread Fort? Hell, technically she's marching against the entire North now. Ramsay would just cut Theon up in front of Yara and let her little rag tag group break against his walls.

Gvaz

Banned
Like Asha or YARA going after Theon, she didn't learn what happened to theon until like book SIX, and that's not even out yet.

AFFC/ADWD -
Dany's story should actually break up okay, I think, as long as she's not the main action of episodes.

S4 she takes Mereen, only this time she has to actually fight for it instead of just rolling up and owning, ultimately deciding she needs to stay and rule.

S5 she learns to rule, grows increasingly frustrated with stupid bullshit going on. Also frustrated by people not liking her dragons for poaching livestock. End her season with the reveal that the dragons moved up to eating kids, lock away the dragons.

S6 is emo Dany, impending war, false Targaryen kid. Flies off on Drogon, caps the season with meeting the khalasar.

The details would need a lot of filling in, but I do think there's a bare outline that can span seasons there.

Combine season 5 and 6 and it''ll be better. Otherwise, that's pretty awful.

jett

D-Member

Totally fucking ruined.

Exactly. I don't understand how are people even defending this shit. And by defending I mean twisting, because there's no defense for what they have done to Stannis.

Take out Cersei's crappy story about young Joffrey, take out the Varys/Shae scene, add a little (ASOS)
Coldhands
tease at the end, and this would've been a fantastic finale

Apath

Exactly. I don't understand how are people even defending this shit. And by defending I mean twisting, because there's no defense for what they have done to Stannis.
Stannis is just a shitty character in this adaptation of the novels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah wth.
I honestly felt like it was the worst episode of the series that I can remember off the top of my head. Arya's scene was practically the only redeeming moment.

Burt

When I saw that shot it instantly reminded me of this one from the first episode

gameofthrones-ned-catk6k1e.jpg

Oh lawd catelyn looks hot with that haircut

edit: and wth varys shae was awesome

I dunno about Cersei/Tyrion though. They keep giving them these scenes together liek they should be friends but theyre not due to circumstance and its just stupid. Why was Cersei even visiting Tyrion? She just came to get drunk with the brother she despises? She definitely didnt come with the intention to talk about how Joffrey saved her, but that's literally all she ended up doing.

hoos30

AFFC/ADWD -

Three seasons of that will get this show canceled. They are going to need to make some MAJOR changes.

Trasher

Wow. Just got overwhelmed and worried about them fitting everything in next season. Is it even possible to do it all in 10 episodes?

LordCanti

Wow. Just got overwhelmed and worried about them fitting everything in next season. Is it even possible to do it all in 10 episodes?

I guess there's no extra money to be had in it, but I wouldn't mind if they went to hour and a half episodes for some of the episodes next season. I doubt they will though.

Huh? There's only a 1/3 of ASOS left, they have more time than they need. They will need to bring in later material and pad things out to make it last a whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom