• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Probably my least favorite episode of the season, understandable though. They had to wrap everyone up in 10~ minutes or less.

Shouldve just been a 20 episode season. I feel like there should still be an episode next week.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wish they had kept [ASoS]
Tywin's speech about crushing your enemies when they defy you, and pardoning them when they surrender. Nice contrast with dumbass Joffrey who's all "I want them all dead!"

Snake

Cersei/Tyrion doesn't make any sense, though. We've seen them do awful things to each other, we know that they hate each other and are both well aware that the feeling is mutual. Tyrion even promised that he would destroy her, that he would turn her happiness to dust, and despite all this, she decides to confide in him and make herself vulnerable? And beyond that implausibility, scene after scene of characters sitting down and having these deep conversations where they basically come out and tell the audience "THIS IS WHAT I'M THINKING, THIS IS WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT" is not good television.
The show's version of Tyrion and Cersei are still bitterly divided when any matter is set before them, and no they don't like each other, but in their privacy they are portrayed as being essentially stuck with each other. Unofficial drinking buddies as it were, with nothing better to do. United in having no power while their father runs things. It's a layer that has been added so that it can be torn.

[SERIES]
The real source of this divergence is that the show is not going to have a dozen Cersei scenes with us peering into her mind as she dwells upon Maggy the Frog and the valonqar. So it needs to be about her and Tyrion, not irrational paranoia based in prophecies. So where does the paranoia come from? It comes from feeling she was too generous, too weak, and allowed Joffrey's death to happen. The feeling that she underestimated Tyrion.

As it stands now, things have already gone beyond poorly between them. Tyrion thinks Cersei probably tried to have him killed. From Cersei's perspective, he's the one who has constantly threatened her children or done things to separate her from them. Her "friendlier" interactions with him both serves as a way for the audience to have the slightest doubt that she did it (and to entertain that someone like Joffrey or even Littlefinger was behind it), while on the in-universe side this socialization reduces the danger Cersei thinks he poses to her children. Since she certainly can't make another attempt on his life while Tywin is around. But even if relations between them are bad, Cersei isn't at all prepared for losing one of her children. She fears it but she can't imagine it. And when Joffrey dies her paranoia will be born not simply of the [wrong] belief that Tyrion killed her son, but will be a result of the inversion of these "nice" moments. He sat there and drank with her, and they had some passable times, and he was still capable of doing that?! That's how Cersei creates the image of him as some arch-nemesis who is out to destroy her and all she loves. And from her perspective the fear is completely rational.

CassSept

This week I have to be this guy but yeah, that was a disappointing episode.

Shae is meh, Sansa was surprisingly nice to Tyrion (with all the posters who hate even a slightest divergence I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet), Tywin/Tyrion talk was weird (was that Charles Dance tearing up, eh?), Ygritte/Jon scene was terrible, thrown into the middle of the episode for a minute out of nowhere with some of the worst acting in the series yet and Mhysa scene ended up looking stupid.

It's not all bad of course, on the flip side opening scene was great, Jack Gleeson is a fantastic Joffrey, Arya's kill was pretty fine and everything involving Boltons is delightful.

On the whole though, I found this to be the weakest episode since early Season 2 :/

Monocle

[AFFC]
No Coldhands, no Stoneheart?
Fuck?

Worst GOT finale ever, am I right? I mean, there were a lot of amusing scenes with great acting, but the exposition was so boring and there was just so bloody much of it. Also, a lot of good stuff was cut out, altered, or at least put on the back burner until next season. And the last scene with Dany, as much as I liked the final shot with the human mandala, was anticlimactic.

Sotha Sil

[AFFC]
No Coldhands, no Stoneheart?
Fuck?

Worst GOT finale ever, am I right? I mean, there were a lot of amusing scenes with great acting, but the exposition was so boring and there was just so bloody much of it.

Extremely disappointing. Dany kicking ass and taking names was fun for a while, but this cheesy bit of crowd surfing wasn't last-scene-of-the-finale material. The finale needed a measure of catharsis. Arya killing a Frey wasn't enough.

Monocle

By the way, is it me or has show Stannis become a totally unlikeable dickhead?

"THE BOY MUST DIE"

Right on, chief. I'm surprised Davos didn't hop into the boat along with Gendry and get the hell out of Dodge.

Extremely disappointing. Dany kicking ass and taking names was fun for a while, but this cheesy bit of crowd surfing wasn't last-scene-of-the-finale material. The finale needed a measure of catharsis. Arya killing a Frey wasn't enough.
Yeah, the episode felt like it was building up to a season finale. It was certainly not a satisfying cap for season 3. Pretty jarring to go from maybe the best episode in the whole series to this lower point.

Man, I hope Ramsey gets significant things to do next series. The casting's great for him, and the character as presented in the book's the best villain the series has got. I want him to step outside his torture chamber and really start making the audience love to hate him.

[Series]
Nice to see they've already established his fondness for writing insulting letters.

Wow. What a let down. Knowing whats coming, what everone who read the books expected to happen, I was soo amped for this episode. And then time started running out, we had 45mins of 'Myhsa' and I knew it would cut to black as a dragon flew at the screen. Now we have to wait a year because the writers didn't want to blow their load all at once.

And I understand that, but if that is the case, why not end on the events of episode 9?

duckroll

It's duckroll hate time again! Time to suck it up!

- The council meeting with Tywin, Tyrion, and Joffery was SO GOOD. <3

- Sausage om nom nom nom. I went for a sausage meal myself after the episode. Sooooo good. YUMMY! <3

- Sam had some good scenes. I like when he gave everyone extra magical equipment and recited the +9 damage to undead stats and the weapon descriptions from the rulebook from memory. <3

- Everything else was just kinda ho-hum. Not terribly bad, but just bare minimum effort from the parts of the writers, director, and the actors to deliver scenes which just provide some closure to various scenes in the last few episodes.

- The ending was cheesy as hell. Still doesn't beat that godawful ending scene with Jon and Ygritte on the mountain though, but it was close. It's hilarious how the dragon CG is actually better than the mountain CG. Progress I guess! Lololol.

Everyone expecting [SOS]
Zombie Cat
got OWNED. HAHAHAHAHAHA! It was a stupid theory to begin with, since they'll surely save that for the season 4 finale. Can't believe people really thought it was going to happen this week. LOLZ.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not the best episode, but, hey!

This was easily the best season of the series. Season Two was so, so, so bad, but they really made up for it.

duckroll

The best season of Game of Thrones was Season 0. The excitement, anticipation, and hope before the series actually aired was the only time it ever had the potential to be a series I actually consider good. Lol.

Sotha Sil

Everyone expecting [SOS]
Zombie Cat
got OWNED. HAHAHAHAHAHA! It was a stupid theory to begin with, since they'll surely save that for the season 4 finale. Can't believe people really thought it was going to happen this week. LOLZ.

[SoS]
I really thought this season needed this kind of closure; calling the episode Mhysa was another red herring. But well, themes are for eighth-grade book reports, I guess.

Dany's scenes have no substance, they play out like something from a Disney movie. Weak characters, no story progress. They really, really need to fix that shit up. It was much better in the books, ever since the khalasar arc ended, Dany's stuff has felt like genuine B-quality.

Monocle

Everyone expecting [SOS]
Zombie Cat
The writers dropped the damn ball in the double entendre game they like to play with episode titles. Set us book readers up for a big disappointment.

duckroll

Dany's scenes have no substance, they play out like something from a Disney movie. Weak characters, no story progress. They really, really need to fix that shit up. It was much better in the books, ever since the khalasar arc ended, Dany's stuff has felt like genuine B-quality.

At least it's consistent. Dany's story has been bad since the first episode of the series. There's something to be said about the productions commitment in keeping it consistently awful! They should be applauded for it. Lol.

Gvaz

Banned

What planet do you live on? Because everything after the Khal regarding dany is just pure fucking drivel and the only high points of her chapters is anything with Selmy and Mormont. Anything related to Daario is so fucking awful i want to throw the book in the trash.

Sounds like a perfect adaptation to me. Even in the books it's an orientalist story full of flat characters and exoticised locations and peoples.

At least it's consistent. Dany's story has been bad since the first episode of the series. There's something to be said about the productions commitment in keeping it consistently awful! They should be applauded for it. Lol.
They have no idea what they are doing in the Dany arcs, they always MISS THE POINT

They butchered most khalsar scenes, they got the kings crown part right and Khal Drogo was casted perfectly. But since then, they butchered the warlocks, the Qarth scenes were laughable. All her scenes have a sterile direction and bad quality about them like its just one bad director doing all of the scenes. They had an opportunity to show an awesome uprising in Yunkai, and establish some great villains for future plot lines but they totally butchered that too.

Next season they need to work this out, they have the opportunity to improved things drastically as (ASOS)
they head towards Mereen, which will allow them to add depth to the characters and give her some actually adversaries to play off. They already killed the Titan's bastard who was entertaining as hell and could have made a great enemy

I enjoyed the episode. Yeah, the ending could've been better shot and directed, and they really don't know how to play off of Djawadi's great musical score, but shit, I enjoyed it. Good finale to a great season. The only thing I missed was [ASoS]
Lady Stoneheart

I enjoyed the episode. Yeah, the ending could've been better shot and directed, and they really don't know how to play off of Djawadi's great musical score, but shit, I enjoyed it. Good finale to a great season. The only thing I missed was [ASoS]
Lady Stoneheart

They definitely need to start using the score better. Mhysa is such a great track but it didn't really feel that powerful on the show. They need to take a page from Carnivale and Rome and start creating more intense combinations of music and visuals

Mario007

They have no idea what they are doing in the Dany arcs, they always MISS THE POINT

They butchered most khalsar scenes, they got the kings crown part right and Khal Drogo was casted perfectly. But since then, they butchered the warlocks, the Qarth scenes were laughable. All her scenes have a sterile direction and bad quality about them like its just one bad director doing all of the scenes. They had an opportunity to show an awesome uprising in Yunkai, and establish some great villains for future plot lines but they totally butchered that too.

Next season they need to work this out, they have the opportunity to improved things drastically as (ASOS)
they head towards Mereen, which will allow them to add depth to the characters and give her some actually adversaries to play off. They already killed the Titan's bastard who was entertaining as hell and could have made a great enemy
Doesn't help that Emilia Clarke is probably the worst actress on the show right now (which is also a huge turnaround cause she was pretty good in Season 1)

duckroll

Doesn't help that Emilia Clarke is probably the worst actress on the show right now (which is also a huge turnaround cause she was pretty good in Season 1)

Nah, I think you were just distracted by her nakedness in season 1! Once she stopped doing that, it becomes more obvious that she doesn't carry the role very well with her actual performance. :p

Mario007

Nah, I think you were just distracted by her nakedness in season 1! Once she stopped doing that, it becomes more obvious that she doesn't carry the role very well with her actual performance. :p
Yeah I think that might be it, actually.
She has no material to work with.

Her scenes are basically written like this "act queenly", "act womanly". Done.
To be fair you can condense anyone into something like that. Joffrey has 'act like a dick' and Stannis has 'act real stoic' but the actors know what to do with it. Hell Sansa pretty much whines all the time but Sophie Turner is able to do it well.

duckroll

I think the biggest problem with Dany is that at the base, the material is weak. Her chapters are the most mundane and generic genre leaning stuff in the series, and it's a tall order to try to improve any of that in an adaptation. I think the actress herself is rather weak too, which doesn't help, but I have a hard time imagining anyone being able to elevate the role into something good. At best, maybe a better actress could make it less annoying to watch, but it would still be one of the weakest parts of the show.

It doesn't really matter what the actor's abilities are when half of the time the directors just have scenes of her looking into the distance while the camera pans around her

I actually think she does a good job, especially considering half the time she is acting while speaking nonsense languages

Enosh

god they really are butchering Stannis on the show

asos
quite sure he was the one in the books who saw why he needs to go north, "save the kingdom to get it, not get the kingdom to save it" and all that shit, but now Mel throws the letter in the fire and it's like "yeah we going north" christ what bullshit

Moff

I think Clarke's acting was much better in season 3 than in season 2, I wouldnt say she's a bad actress, there is just nothing she can really do with that material, she was pretty good when she killed the slavers, that was probably my favourite moment of this season, mostly because clarke nailed it.

and I hope they will add and change a lot in the seasons to come. it really cant get much worse than the books from here on. with a little luck they'll even kill off daario.

Man, I built myself up so much for (ASOS spoiler)
The deaths of Tywin and Joffrey
that I totally forgot so much of the detail which pretty much made it impossible to do said events justice in one episode. I feel a fool for winding myself up so much =[

Inversive

thatbastardhvl4k.gif

Let this gif be used in your posts, in your titles, in your tags and amongst all your threads.

Jack Gleeson is just too good as the Joffster. He gives consistently good performances every episode.

AFFC
RE: The Kingsmoot - People thinking they are going to leave that out entirely are crazy. A more condensed version of it where maybe only the Greyjoys compete against themselves or something but it will be in the show

ASOS/ADWD
RE: Coldhands - until we find out who he really is in the books (Benjen?), he could be nothing more than a Strong Belwas, a fan favorite character who ends up on the cutting room floor

I knew they wouldn't do the Purple Wedding this episode, but I thought they would have either showed Balon dying, or Stoneheart for the last scene of the season. Instead we got a HORRENDOUS scene with Daenyras because all the casual watchers of the show love "The Khaleesi". The same viewers who can't even remember her fucking name and basically just watch the show for titties and blood. The show has honestly made me despise Daenyras as a character. They're making her too perfect. She's beautiful, the throne is hers by right, she's worked her way up from nothing, she's this "great liberator", she has dragons, and she's an uber badass. She always knows exactly what to say. In a world full of flawed characters, she's little Ms. perfect. It's really rubbing me the wrong way. I sincerely hope she dies toward the end of Winds of Winter.

As for where the show is going, I can see the show making the rest of ASOS, aFfC and aDwD last three more seasons before they catch up with GRRM. There's about that much content left. MAYBE four if they really spend some time fleshing out some of the newer characters that are going to be introduced.

Rom1944

god they really are butchering Stannis on the show

asos
quite sure he was the one in the books who saw why he needs to go north, "save the kingdom to get it, not get the kingdom to save it" and all that shit, but now Mel throws the letter in the fire and it's like "yeah we going north" christ what bullshit

I tougth the same TV Stannis is really crappy.

Enosh

I tougth the same TV Stannis is really crappy.
series/asos
oh i also forgot the
stannis: "well north, still need to kill Davos"
mel: "no we need him"
stannis "kk"

he basically makes no decisions of his own in the show, he juts a puppet for mel
complete and utter bullshit and completely opposed to the books where while he does seek council he still makes his own damn choices

I knew they wouldn't do the Purple Wedding this episode, but I thought they would have either showed Balon dying, or Stoneheart for the last scene of the season. Instead we got a HORRENDOUS scene with Daenyras because all the casual watchers of the show love "The Khaleesi". The same viewers who can't even remember her fucking name and basically just watch the show for titties and blood. The show has honestly made me despise Daenyras as a character. They're making her too perfect. She's beautiful, the throne is hers by right, she's worked her way up from nothing, she's this "great liberator", she has dragons, and she's an uber badass. She always knows exactly what to say. In a world full of flawed characters, she's little Ms. perfect. It's really rubbing me the wrong way. I sincerely hope she dies toward the end of Winds of Winter.

As for where the show is going, I can see the show making the rest of ASOS, aFfC and aDwD last three more seasons before they catch up with GRRM. There's about that much content left. MAYBE four if they really spend some time fleshing out some of the newer characters that are going to be introduced.

Well not exactly, they won't be catching up with GRRM after ADWD because TWOW will be out by then.

Dany

Banned
Like Asha or YARA
going after Theon, she didn't learn what happened to theon until like book SIX, and that's not even out yet

WTF, are we having untagged spoilers for books that aren't even out? seriously man, cmon.

hoos30

No, her arc is terrible in the books as well.

Dany

Banned
My roommates and I were laughing at a lot of the scenes tonight. IDK what it was but there surely was quite a few funny bits. More so than there usually is.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah I mean Dany's story in the show has probably stayed closer to the books than anyone else's. They've added some extra junk, especially in season 2, but haven't really taken much away.

Also, I like that they waited until after the RW to turn Arya into a stone cold killer. Without the internal dialogue from the books, it wouldn't have made sense earlier in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom