• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

Anyhoo, I thought the finale was ok. ASOS
Though I maintain that the Stoneheart reveal should have been in this episode.

I felt the Arya scene was pretty good, especially since it validated my previous thoughts on Arya's arc on the show versus the books. Having Arya's descent into violence happen slowly over the course of the show as opposed to the 0 to 60 method seen in the books is a marked improvement.

Once again I'm not understanding the Stannis complaints. He sentenced Davos to die. Davos gives Stannis the letter from the Watch, and Melisandre agrees that he should go to the North. There Stannis has received advise from his two most trusted advisors to take an action, and he decided on it. He still believes Davos should die. Both Davos and Melisandre advise against it. So he decides to let Davos live. What's the problem here?

ido

My random thoughts on the finale:

-Loved the Arya/Hound scene. Glad to see Arya finally getting her hands dirty.

-Robb/Greywind scene was done well. Arya has a knack for seeing her family getting fucked up, it seems.

-Small council scene was done well. It really felt like it followed the book pretty much verbatim.

-I really can't put my finger on it, but they have fucked up Stannis. I really need to reread, but from what I remember ASOS
Melisandre, in the books, seemed to have to make Stannis think that things were his idea, unlike the show where she just basically tells him what to do and he does it. The distinction matters to me, because it really makes Stannis feel different for me(I loved the character in the books).

-The Dany scene at the end was pretty terrible. It seemed so out of place and cheesy. The music sounded like something from the goddamn Lion King.

Eidan

I also neglected to mention how great everything is in King's Landing. The Small Council scene, Tyrion's scene with Sansa, Varys with Shae, Tyrion and Cersei, it was all great.

Dany

Banned
It's a real shame everything between Sansa and Tyrion. If the situation weren't what they were, I think they would be perfect for one another.

I am a little worried what they are doing with Shae. It is a bit more divergent than the books.
Maybe her love will will turn to hatred and then spite. Maybe she'll fuck tywin to hurt tyrion

Eidan

I am a little worried what they are doing with Shae. It is a bit more divergent than the books.
Maybe her love will will turn to hatred and then spite. Maybe she'll fuck tywin to hurt tyrion

I'd say that's pretty likely.

ASOS
I've said it before, but the hand wringing over how Shae is going to be handled is one of the sillier discussions that has gone on in this thread.

It's duckroll hate time again! Time to suck it up!

- The council meeting with Tywin, Tyrion, and Joffery was SO GOOD. <3

- Sausage om nom nom nom. I went for a sausage meal myself after the episode. Sooooo good. YUMMY! <3

- Sam had some good scenes. I like when he gave everyone extra magical equipment and recited the +9 damage to undead stats and the weapon descriptions from the rulebook from memory. <3

- Everything else was just kinda ho-hum. Not terribly bad, but just bare minimum effort from the parts of the writers, director, and the actors to deliver scenes which just provide some closure to various scenes in the last few episodes.

- The ending was cheesy as hell. Still doesn't beat that godawful ending scene with Jon and Ygritte on the mountain though, but it was close. It's hilarious how the dragon CG is actually better than the mountain CG. Progress I guess! Lololol.

Everyone expecting [SOS]
Zombie Cat
got OWNED. HAHAHAHAHAHA! It was a stupid theory to begin with, since they'll surely save that for the season 4 finale. Can't believe people really thought it was going to happen this week. LOLZ.

Always love reading your criticisms, it seems I always miss any comments or negative criticism. Always want to read both sides with stuff like this.

Considering the number of threads perhaps it's a case of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been more liberal about the book threads lately.

Eidan

Rewatching that Small Council scene. Goddamn. I love the Tyrion/Joffrey beef.

ASOS
Everything involving Joffrey's wedding is going to be fucking incredible.

The_Monk

Hello fellow GAFfers, not sure if posted (since I'm a Gaming side GAFfer) but saw this picture and thought it was cute. :)

CPCJwNa.jpg

PS: Someone just got banned on the Sony E3 Conference for posting a spoiler in Gif form, I don't get the reason why people do this but stay safe fellow GAFfers.

Dany

Banned
Hello fellow GAFfers, not sure if posted (since I'm a Gaming side GAFfer) but saw this picture and thought it was cute. :)

CPCJwNa.jpg

PS: Someone just got banned on the Sony E3 Conference for posting a spoiler in Gif form, I don't get the reason why people do this but stay safe fellow GAFfers.

Omg I want to that for my niece!

As for where the show is going, I can see the show making the rest of ASOS, aFfC and aDwD last three more seasons before they catch up with GRRM. There's about that much content left. MAYBE four if they really spend some time fleshing out some of the newer characters that are going to be introduced.

Two entire seasons to cover the events of AFFC and ADWD? That would kill the show. Those two books have barely enough decent material for one season.

dubq

How terrible is it that I kinda like Roose Bolton in the show? Such a cold badass.

It helps that the actor playing him is such a bad ass. I think it's the Tywin effect, actually. I never liked Tywin or Roose when I was reading the novels.. but as soon as these actors get into the characters and breathe new life into them.. they're just something else altogether. Roose is easily one of my favourite characters now.

Eidan

S1 > S3 > S2

Season 1 is still the best from a story perspective to me, but Season 3 is very close, on the weight of the drastically improved production and directing. A very, very good season. Season 2 was the only one that was kind of off, but I blame that almost entirely on the source material.

dubq

That would be terrific. Put one great character to actual use and cut one high fantasy character, which we know they don't like to do.

Fuck that. Keep both. Why cut a "high fantasy" character when your story is about Ice Demons, zombies and dragons?

Season 2 was the only one that was kind of off, but I blame that almost entirely on the source material.

They changed a lot of the source material in season 2 and made it weaker. The changes to Arya's story in particular, since it focused on the real suffering of the underclass during war. Jon's story after leaving the fist with Qhorin. They also threw out any details about the war besides showing a few moments of Oxcross and episode 9.

hoos30

AFFC
RE: The Kingsmoot - People thinking they are going to leave that out entirely are crazy. A more condensed version of it where maybe only the Greyjoys compete against themselves or something but it will be in the show

We might be crazy, but Yara going on a "Save Theon" adventure gives us hope. Combine AFFC
the Euron and Victarion characters and cut the Kingsmoot. Save budget, remove the Iron Island politics, which no one but GRRM cares about, leave time for the current population of highly paid actors to work and keep the clock moving before your child actors qualify for Social Security.

hoos30

Fuck that. Keep both. Why cut a "high fantasy" character when your story is about Ice Demons, zombies and dragons?

The unwashed show watchers understand zombies and dragons. AFFC
Zombies don't talk nor do they lead vigilante commando units.
:)

Eidan

They changed a lot of the source material in season 2 and made it weaker. The changes to Arya's story in particular, since it focused on the real suffering of the underclass during war. Jon's story after leaving the fist with Qhorin. They also threw out any details about the war besides showing a few moments of Oxcross and episode 9.

Nah. I don't think anything that was cut or altered really changes what I thought were the real weaknesses of Season 2/ACOK. Jon and Arya's stories were just very uninteresting for me. Arya was far too disconnected from the main story and key players. Yes, we see the effects of the war on the lowborn in her story. But I guess I just don't care much about the effects of the war on the lowborn. It could be stated in a single paragraph and I would be satisfied.

And with Jon, he ends book 1 with the goal of finding out what happened to Benjen Stark, and what Mance Rayder is up to. He ends book 2 no closer to finding out anything involving Benjen, and our understanding of Mance Rayder and his plans is the same ("He's up to some shit.") Jon's journey with Qhorin Halfhand and his rangers was a very forgettable stretch. The Halfhand himself was an unremarkable character, and I thought the reduction of his role in season 2 made a lot of sense.

dubq

The unwashed show watchers understand zombies and dragons. Zombies don't talk nor do they AFFC
lead vigilante commando units.
:)

What the hell was Beric doing then? AFFC--
Stoneheart is not a zombie or a wight. Not sure why this always has to be clarified. The whole point of the ritual is that it breathes LIFE back into them. Stoneheart is alive. Just like Beric. Not walking dead.

Nah. I don't think anything that was cut or altered really changes what I thought were the real weaknesses of Season 2/ACOK. Jon and Arya's stories were just very uninteresting for me. Arya was far too disconnected from the main story and key players. Yes, we see the effects of the war on the lowborn in her story. But I guess I just don't care much about the effects of the war on the lowborn. It could be stated in a single paragraph and I would be satisfied.

And with Jon, he ends book 1 with the goal of finding out what happened to Benjen Stark, and what Mance Rayder is up to. He ends book 2 no closer to finding out anything involving Benjen, and our understanding of Mance Rayder and his plans is the same ("He's up to some shit.") Jon's journey with Qhorin Halfhand and his rangers was a very forgettable stretch. The Halfhand himself was an unremarkable character, and I thought the reduction of his role in season 2 made a lot of sense.

Yes, I get that you don't care about the details of the war and its effect on different classes in Westeros but that's the heart of the book to me (and AFFC) along with what Tyrion does in King's Landing.

Jon's trip with Qhorin doesn't accomplish much outside of finding out where Mance is and the size of his army but the chase was compelling and Jon learned from Qhorin which is much better than Jon simply looking like a dumbass in almost every scene the entire season.

Eidan

Yes, I get that you don't care about the details of the war and its effect on different classes in Westeros but that's the heart of the book to me (and AFFC) along with what Tyrion does in King's Landing.

Jon's trip with Qhorin doesn't accomplish much outside of finding out where Mance is and the size of his army but the chase was compelling and Jon learned from Qhorin which is much better than Jon simply looking like a dumbass in almost every scene the entire season.

Jon's relationship with Ygritte is much more important than his relationship with Qhorin. Sacrificing the Halfhand's time to develop Ygritte was a smart move.

We might be crazy, but Yara going on a "Save Theon" adventure gives us hope. Combine AFFC
the Euron and Victarion characters and cut the Kingsmoot. Save budget, remove the Iron Island politics, which no one but GRRM cares about, leave time for the current population of highly paid actors to work and keep the clock moving before your child actors qualify for Social Security.
AFFC
Don't see how combining those two characters solves anything, except for depriving people of two amazing characters
ADWD
if they fuck up Reek/Ramsay I'll be furious

Love the ygritte scene.

Love the hound/arya scene.

Its a shame the hound/arya dynamic doesn't go on for long in the books, I like how they're handling it in the show

edit: To clarify, I liked the ygritte scene because they messed up the first time with her missing and hitting the tree, made it look like she wasn't actually trying to hit him. This drove in the point that she's a wildling at heart. Obviously this would have been fixed by just having her shoot him the first time but w/e.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jon's relationship with Ygritte is much more important than his relationship with Qhorin. Sacrificing the Halfhand's time to develop Ygritte was a smart move.

What did Jon's time with Ygritte during Season 2 bring anything to the story?

Jon's time with Quorin got cut. Jon's time with Mance pretty much got cut.

Sacrificing Jon's character to add more Ygritte screen time was not a smart move, though, and that's what they ended up doing.

hoos30

What the hell was Beric doing then? AFFC--
Stoneheart is not a zombie or a wight. Not sure why this always has to be clarified. The whole point of the ritual is that it breathes LIFE back into them. Stoneheart is alive. Just like Beric. Not walking dead.

SPOILING A QUOTE FROM S3 OF THE SHOW:
Thanks, I know that. Show watchers probably won't though. Beric told Ayra, "that's not how it works." When unCat shows up, they're gonna be like WTF, show just broke its own rule.

dubq

In what sense? Story-wise or "hey this is going to get more female viewers"-wise?

Onemic

Great season ender. It's now apparent that none of the family squabbles and claims to the throne really matter in the face of the walkers. And Arya is gonna become a crazy killer or assassin with the ways things have gone down. She's seen too much shit and it's gonna fuck with her.

dubq

Thanks, I know that. Show watchers probably won't though. Beric told Ayra, "that's not how it works." AFFC
When unCat shows up, they're gonna be like WTF, show just broke its own rule.

Spoiler tag your post, buddy. Beric was literally cut in half and was brought back. I'm pretty sure AFFC
Cat's slit throat (much the same as Beric's own previous wound for which he bears a scar) isn't that much of at stretch and is nowhere near Arya asking to bring back headless Ned.

Also: stop assuming that casual show watchers are idiots who couldn't comprehend something like this. An argument can be made that there are quite a few.. but there are also an equal amount of those who are also book reading show watchers who can't comprehend simple things like this, as well. Either way, neither is the majority, IMO.

flyover

I think the biggest problem with Dany is that at the base, the material is weak.

Anyone who's seen her in Triassic Attack knows what she can do with a decent script.

(Seriously, though, I think she's gotten better as an actress -- but you can barely tell, because of the material. The problem with her character is that she rarely has actual conversations with anyone. There's no real interplay between her and other characters. Instead, she makes pronouncements. There's only so much you can do with that onscreen.)

Eidan

What did Jon's time with Ygritte during Season 2 bring anything to the story?

Jon's time with Quorin got cut. Jon's time with Mance pretty much got cut.

ASOS
Jon's relationship with Ygritte adds an incredible amount of emotional weight to his time with the wildlings, to her eventual demise. I'd argue that her relationship with Jon is the key element that makes that story compelling, and without it, it would have fallen flat.

It makes absolute sense that the show runners would emphasize her, over a throwaway character whose only purpose is really to get Jon to join the wildlings.

In what sense? Story-wise or "hey this is going to get more female viewers"-wise?

Definitely story-wise. Book or show, Qhorin Halfhand is an unremarkable character who serves a singular purpose. Nailing Ygritte was far more important.

hoos30

AFFC
Don't see how combining those two characters solves anything, except for depriving people of two amazing characters
ADWD
if they fuck up Reek/Ramsay I'll be furious

1) The "problem" that it solves it that it removes about 300 pages of sideways plot.

2) They put a LOT of effort into AFFC
Reek
; we should give them the benefit of the doubt regarding that story.

dubq

Definitely story-wise. Book or show, Qhorin Halfhand is an unremarkable character who serves a singular purpose. Nailing Ygritte was far more important.

I have to agree.. to a degree. I wouldn't say that Qhorin was unimportant.. but I do agree that, on the show, developing the relationship between Jon and Ygritte is far more important given what's to come.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jon Snow's time with her in Season 2 revolved around getting annoyed with her and her trying to grind on his dick to make him uncomfortable while Jon was trying to get them to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom