• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just really need TWOW at this point. I think it will clear up a lot and we'd have a better idea about what's is important and what's not in regards to certain characters and storylines that take place in AFFC/ADWD.

Eidan

How do you call that development worthy to waste screentime on?

What needed to be established was Ygritte's ability to get under Jon's skin, develop an obvious attraction and sexual tension between the two, and give them enough time together to make it plausible that Jon could possibly forsake his vows for her. They accomplished all of this, so I say it was time well spent.

dubq

How do you call that development worthy to waste screentime on?

If Qhorin is dying in the next scene, but Ygritte is an on-screen character for the foreseeable future, then why not spend the time on hers and Jon's developing relationship? Qhorin had already been developed as a master Ranger.. and someone that trusts in Jon (hence him agreeing to take him). If you payed attention to Qhorin's scenes, you really didn't need any more for his death to mean something.

hoos30

Spoiler tag your post, buddy. Beric was literally cut in half and was brought back. I'm pretty sure AFFC
Cat's slit throat (much the same as Beric's own previous wound for which he bears a scar) isn't that much of at stretch and is nowhere near Arya asking to bring back headless Ned.

Also: stop assuming that casual show watchers are idiots who couldn't comprehend something like this. An argument can be made that there are quite a few.. but there are also an equal amount of those who are also book reading show watchers who can't comprehend simple things like this, as well. Either way, neither is the majority, IMO.

1) I just got off of one month ban for posting an off-topic NON spoiler in THIS thread, so I'm a little paranoid now. Beric said those words in the TV show, I checked.

2 "Kelly C". lol. I'm not questioning anyone's ability to comprehend, just commenting on D&D's tendency to tone down the supernatural/magic stuff.

Dysun

Everything after the dragons were born except for Astapor has been a disappointment. Daenerys story-line bores me to tears at this point

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
If Qhorin is dying in the next scene, but Ygritte is an on-screen character for the foreseeable future, then why not spend the time on hers and Jon's developing relationship? Qhorin had already been developed as a master Ranger.. and someone that trusts in Jon (hence him agreeing to take him). If you payed attention to Qhorin's scenes, you really didn't need any more for his death to mean something.

I agree. Although they really botched how they hatched their scheme for Jon to go undercover.

"Let's talk about it while there's Wildings around us!"

dubq

1) I just got off of one month ban for posting an off-topic NON spoiler in THIS thread, so I'm a little paranoid now. Beric said those words in the TV show, I checked.

On the TV show, Thoros tells Arya that bringing back Headless Ned.. He doesn't think it works that way. Beric says he wouldn't wish his life on Ned. Arya then says she would.. because at least he's alive.

UraMallas

ASOS
How do you guys feel about the way they presented Jaime. Doesn't he come back with Joffrey dead and they have sex in the septim? How are they going to make that a better scene with it out of order?

ASOS
I would put money on this not happening in the show because of Jaime's current redemption angle.

dubq

ASOS
I would put money on this not happening in the show because of Jaime's current redemption angle.

Agreed. I'm guessing ASOS
They're going to have some interactions between Jaime and Joff in order to show how indifferent Jaime is and make the impact of him not caring that his son is dead much more since Jaime will have been able to see him in "monster mode".

Apath

Was it this post sans spoiler tag?
Third book:
Lol Disney totally trolling HBO with this. They couldn't wait three weeks??

If so, that's a huge *hint hint* that Robb dies in a few weeks. I'm not sure how you could possibly try and argue that that isn't a spoiler. Unless you weren't talking about that post or it did have the spoiler tags.

Eidan

Keep in mind he's also very fond of Sansa chapters. Some people just like different things.

817078338_1718921.gif

THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH

Massa

SPOILING A QUOTE FROM S3 OF THE SHOW:
Thanks, I know that. Show watchers probably won't though. Beric told Ayra, "that's not how it works." When unCat shows up, they're gonna be like WTF, show just broke its own rule.

AFFC
How can you not realize that "When unCat shows up" is a huge fucking spoiler?

Which Sansa chapters?

I'm sure he likes them all but aside from the tournament in GoT where we get that great moment with the Hound, the Battle of the Blackwater, and
Littlefinger revelations
they're not very good. Certainly not anywhere near the quality of Arya's chapters but who needs world building?

ezrarh

Everything after the dragons were born except for Astapor has been a disappointment. Daenerys story-line bores me to tears at this point

Problem with her story is that there isn't a good cast of characters for her to play off, as it is in the book. She's surrounded by cookie cutter Essos characters, friendzone Jorah, Faabio and Barristan. Missandei's nice to look at but she's not going to have character depth.

series
Hopefully when Tyrion/Victarion and other characters from Westeros meet her things will get better. That's a couple seasons from happening though.

hoos30

Was it this post sans spoiler tag?

If so, that's a huge *hint hint* that Robb dies in a few weeks. I'm not sure how you could possibly try and argue that that isn't a spoiler. Unless you weren't talking about that post or it did have the spoiler tags.

As far as I remember, it was tagged but not labeled. That whole thread was ban-bait anyway, probably should have left it alone.

Dysun

To be fair, with the exception of Astapor, it is pretty boring in the books too.

That's true but Daenerys only has 5 chapters in ACoK and 4 in ASoS (To the Mhysa scene), on the show she's portrayed as a lead character and a disproportionate amount of time is spent on shit I dont care about or have little vesting interest in.

Also The House of the Undying and the initial interactions with the sellswords were better in the source material

dubq

I'm sure he likes them all but aside from the tournament in GoT where we get that great moment with the Hound, the Battle of the Blackwater, and
Littlefinger revelations
they're not very good. Certainly not anywhere near the quality of Arya's chapters but who needs world building?

I have to agree there. They are mostly miss with a few hits. I did enjoy more of the later ones, though.

Eidan

Littlefinger revelations

Sansa is far closer to the intrigues of King's Landing and the general succession battles in Westeros, which automatically gives her the advantage over Arya (or Bran for that matter).

ASOS/AFFC
I'd go so far as to say she hasn't had a boring chapter post-PW.

Sansa is far closer to the intrigues of King's Landing and the general succession battles in Westeros, which automatically gives her the advantage over Arya (or Bran for that matter).

ASOS/AFFC
I'd go so far as to say she hasn't had a boring chapter post-PW.

She was close to the intrigues but was not involved and sees virtually nothing until after (well, just before) that event. She's becoming an interesting character now, I agree.

Massa

Anyhoo, I thought the finale was ok. ASOS
Though I maintain that the Stoneheart reveal should have been in this episode.

I felt the Arya scene was pretty good, especially since it validated my previous thoughts on Arya's arc on the show versus the books. Having Arya's descent into violence happen slowly over the course of the show as opposed to the 0 to 60 method seen in the books is a marked improvement.

Once again I'm not understanding the Stannis complaints. He sentenced Davos to die. Davos gives Stannis the letter from the Watch, and Melisandre agrees that he should go to the North. There Stannis has received advise from his two most trusted advisors to take an action, and he decided on it. He still believes Davos should die. Both Davos and Melisandre advise against it. So he decides to let Davos live. What's the problem here?

That's the point. The two advisors have different views of how things should work, and Stannis is a complex character that is defined by that conflict. Doing what is right with honor and justice vs doing what is right with Melisandre's god and magic. The show stripped him of all that by having Melisandre decide to go with Davos rather than Stannis making the decision himself.

Melisandre wants Stannis to sacrifice his kin to conquer the kingdom. Davos wants Stannis to protect his kingdom. The fact that Stannis chose to do the later is a major turning point for his character and the show completely stripped him of that.

HBO Stannis even mocks Davos ffs, that was ridiculous. They completely murdered his character.

SomeOrangeGuy

Neo Member
I found the scene between Varys and Shae unsettling. First, it seemed like a heavy-handed way of letting us know that she isn't just there to take his money, but secondly [ASOS]
I think Varys is trying to spare her what may be coming with Joffrey's wedding. He's too smart not to know about it ahead of time, right?
. Also was hoping [ASOS]
Jaime and Cersei would get their freak on, but I guess he came home a little early compared to the book. Much hotter to do it over the rotting corpse of their son.
I guess that could still happen.

I was really sure that the last shot of the episode would be [ASOS]
The creation of Lady Stoneheart
. I was right about them parading around Robb's body with Grey Wind's head in the first scene, though. Ugh.

Also chilling: the scene between Roose Bolton and Lord Frey while they clean up all the blood. Those dudes are COLD BLOODED. That Late Lord Frey story was long-overdue as well.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A big ratings jump would have been nice but I'm not at all surprised it didn't happen. Never really understood why people thought that would be the case. I'm just glad they didn't go down.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd say that's pretty likely.

ASOS
I've said it before, but the hand wringing over how Shae is going to be handled is one of the sillier discussions that has gone on in this thread.
How so? It's definitely unclear how they're going to salvage this. [ASoS]
You even said they were gonna drum up the jealousy angle and that it'll "all make sense", but they're showing her as clearly still fond of Tyrion and fiercely protective of Sansa and though she was jealous initially, she clearly softening on that ever since she saw the unsoiled sheets. She'll have to make some sort of lame 180 for the whole arc to come to fruition.

Season 2 was the only one that was kind of off, but I blame that almost entirely on the source material.
Uh, season 2 is the one that diverged the most from the source material, and those divergences are what sucked the most about it.

Jon's journey with Qhorin Halfhand and his rangers was a very forgettable stretch. The Halfhand himself was an unremarkable character
Jon's relationship with Ygritte is much more important than his relationship with Qhorin. Sacrificing the Halfhand's time to develop Ygritte was a smart move.
Must... not... nerdrage....

[ASoS spoilers in tags]
You talk about the "emotional impact" with Ygritte. It's funny because I didn't give two shits about his relationship with Ygritte. I liked Ygritte herself, but
I wasn't even sad when she died.
When Jon was forced to kill Qhorin (in the books) I thought it was heartbreaking. The emotional impact of having to murder your friend, brother and mentor for the sake of the Watch is wayyyy more powerful than
some woman you fucked once or twice dying from a stray arrow in a battle.
And maybe it's because of the actors, but in the TV show I found Jon and Ygritte's romance to be thoroughly unbelievable. She mocks him mercilessly and humiliates him, she doesn't even seem to respect him one bit, and Jon is mopey and whiny and boring as fuck, why would she fall in love (yeah yeah he's a cunning linguist, whatever e_e), and better yet, why would he fall in love? It was the most artificial and forced romance of the entire series yet. Even after they're "officially" together she's constantly nasty to him, and Jon comes across as a stupid whiner instead of a clever but inexperienced kid struggling with his vows.

Jon Snow's time with her in Season 2 revolved around getting annoyed with her and her trying to grind on his dick to make him uncomfortable while Jon was trying to get them to rest.
Pretty much. It was a disaster, possibly the worst part of S2 (except maybe Talisa).

SPOILING A QUOTE FROM SEASON 4 OF THE SHOW:
Thanks, I know that. Show watchers probably won't though. Beric told Ayra, "that's not how it works." When unCat shows up, they're gonna be like WTF, show just broke its own rule.

The bolded is a change that you really oughtta make in you post considering [AFFC/S4]
"UnCat isn't in S3 and anybody who reads that will be able to surmise what happens next in the story from that term

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My thoughts on the finale (all book spoilers in the tags):

The bad/not so good:
- The Mhysa crowd-surfing was pretty cheesy
- Jon Snow sounded so whiny there. Wah wah I have to go home :'( shut up, take an arrow up the arse, why don't you? Hell here's two more, bitch. xD
- No
Coldhands
? Next season I guess but I wish
he'd have met Sam
- Cersei's story about baby Joffrey was kinda boring.
- Sansa and Tyrion being all mischievous seemed very, very out of character to me. Their scene prior to Tyrion learning of the red wedding in the book was a miserable, dreary supper.
- I don't like Jaime being reunited with Cersei so soon, before
Joffrey's wedding and you-know-what. I wanted that awkward reunion period sex next to Joff's corpse, dammit! xD

The not-sure:

- Asha's gonna circumnavigate Westeros to get to the Dreadfort? Wot?
Where is this going? I'm guessing she won't make it there and will learn of Balon's death and return to Pyke for the Kingsmoot... :S
- Not sure where they're going with Shae either.
- I wish we'd have seen Tywin's speech [tagging just in case]
about how you crush your enemies when they defy you, but let them kneel when they surrender. Nice contrast with Joff's stupid "kill 'em all!" douchebaggery.

I enjoyed the episode otherwise. The good:

- Grey Wind's head on Robb's corpse. Oh yeah they went there. Nice.
- Rat cook story, YES! Cut to Lord Frey... awesome. Perfect. I was so happy to see that. Can't wait for the
Frey pies. Oh yesssss.
- Reek, reek, it rhymes with weak.
- Tywin getting bitched at by Joffrey. Ohnoyoudidnt
- Tyrion being verbally raped by Tywin again. Ouch.
Setting up that privy crossbow scene for next season nicely.
- Maester Aemon! So glad to see him again. <3 Oh and Sam wasn't that derp, he still had obsidian daggers on him. Will people stop bitching about that now, you think?
- Arya finally murdering the shit out of someone. With the coin dropping trick. One season too late, but better late than never. Valar morghulis!
- Davos the boss. Davos has to be one of the few characters I like more on TV than in the books.
-
No Lady Stoneheart. Good. Let it fester for a year. Bringing Catelyn back too soon would diminish the impact of the Red Wedding. I don't get why everyone's disappointed about that, I am very happy they didn't go there yet.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's the point. The two advisors have different views of how things should work, and Stannis is a complex character that is defined by that conflict. Doing what is right with honor and justice vs doing what is right with Melisandre's god and magic. The show stripped him of all that by having Melisandre decide to go with Davos rather than Stannis making the decision himself.

Melisandre wants Stannis to sacrifice his kin to conquer the kingdom. Davos wants Stannis to protect his kingdom. The fact that Stannis chose to do the later is a major turning point for his character and the show completely stripped him of that.

HBO Stannis even mocks Davos ffs, that was ridiculous. They completely murdered his character.

It also completely changes his relationship with Davos. It's no longer Davos is spared because he's Stannis' most trusted advisor and closest friend who has reminded him of his principals and what he needs to do to fulfill them. Now he wants Davos dead but won't because Melisandre says they need him to build a pirate army or some shit.

- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' finale ratings up from last year
Sunday night’s third season closer “Mhysa” delivered 5.4 million viewers, just shy of its 5.5 million all-time high that was set a few weeks back. That’s up 28 percent compared to last season’s finale. Thrones was against some strong summer broadcast competition that included the NBA Finals and, to a lesser degree, the Tonys.

Intensely serialized dramas like Thrones often steadily decline in the ratings, especially after the first or second season, since it becomes increasingly tough for new viewers to just dive-in mid-way. Yet Thrones has been a growth story this season. Each season has averaged higher than the last (which a couple other cable dramas have pulled off too — like Showtime’s Dexter and AMC’s Breaking Bad for its first four seasons, though both launched with much lower ratings than Thrones).

It also completely changes his relationship with Davos. It's no longer Davos is spared because he's Stannis' most trusted advisor and closest friend who has reminded him of his principals and what he needs to do to fulfill them. Now he wants Davos dead but won't because Melisandre says they need him to build a pirate army or some shit.

The more I think about that scene, the more I hate it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Excellent point.

tauroxd

ASoS Spoiler:
-
No Lady Stoneheart. Good. Let it fester for a year. Bringing Catelyn back too soon would diminish the impact of the Red Wedding. I don't get why everyone's disappointed about that, I am very happy they didn't go there yet.

Exactly, it would be pointless to have that so soon.

Wrote a big write up about last night's episode this morning and then GAF broke and I lost the huge post, so fuck it.

Also, season 3 averaged 4.97 million viewers on initial viewing, tying seasons 3 and 4 of True Blood. Of course GoT gets significantly more in total weekly viewings.

1) The "problem" that it solves it that it removes about 300 pages of sideways plot..

That plot isn't really a problem, all they need to do is
condense or modify it so its a bit more interesting an exciting. Victarion and Euron are both interesting characters, and some viewers might find the iron born politics angle enjoyable

Combining two characters and purging an entire plot line is such an extreme reaction and doing so would be a disservice to the source material. If it doesn't work on TV theyll change it till it does

It could work well on TV. Introduce and set up Victarion at the start of a season. Give him some scenes with Balon and Yara. Kill off Balon and introduce Euron in the same episode. Have Euron win the kings moot with the promise of dragons, tying their plotline into the greater narrative. By the end of the season send Victarion away to meet Dany and have Yara fleeing to the North for Stannis to find the following season.

Eidan

How so? It's definitely unclear how they're going to salvage this. [ASoS]
You even said they were gonna drum up the jealousy angle and that it'll "all make sense", but they're showing her as clearly still fond of Tyrion and fiercely protective of Sansa and though she was jealous initially, she clearly softening on that ever since she saw the unsoiled sheets. She'll have to make some sort of lame 180 for the whole arc to come to fruition.

ASOS
True, I did think they would play up the jealousy angle more. But I still don't see the problem with how things are progressing. At the end of the day, Shae will betray Tyrion, and I don't think it matters whether she does it partially out of feelings of jealousy, or out of simple self-preservation. Either scenario could possibly come up, and nothing would be loss. You're worrying over nothing.

Uh, season 2 is the one that diverged the most from the source material, and those divergences are what sucked the most about it.

Ok.

]Must... not... nerdrage....

[ASoS spoilers in tags]
You talk about the "emotional impact" with Ygritte. It's funny because I didn't give two shits about his relationship with Ygritte. I liked Ygritte herself, but
I wasn't even sad when she died.
When Jon was forced to kill Qhorin (in the books) I thought it was heartbreaking. The emotional impact of having to murder your friend, brother and mentor for the sake of the Watch is wayyyy more powerful than
some woman you fucked once or twice dying from a stray arrow in a battle.
And maybe it's because of the actors, but in the TV show I found Jon and Ygritte's romance to be thoroughly unbelievable. She mocks him mercilessly and humiliates him, she doesn't even seem to respect him one bit, and Jon is mopey and whiny and boring as fuck, why would she fall in love (yeah yeah he's a cunning linguist, whatever e_e), and better yet, why would he fall in love? It was the most artificial and forced romance of the entire series yet. Even after they're "officially" together she's constantly nasty to him, and Jon comes across as a stupid whiner instead of a clever but inexperienced kid struggling with his vows.

Pretty much. It was a disaster, possibly the worst part of S2 (except maybe Talisa).

Eh, agree to disagree. For you the death of the Halfhand was some gut-wrenching, pivotal moment in the series, akin to the death of Ned Stark himself. For me it was Tuesday.

Seriously though, you label Qhorin as a friend and brother to Jon, as if they had some deep, powerful relationship, but Ygritte is just a fuck buddy? Give me a break.

Massa

ASOS
So Maisie Williams did a Q&A on Twitter...

Q: Which Stark would you bring back from the dead?
A: Catelyn, everyone needs a mum!

I was surprised that (ASOS)
Balon didn't die this episode. I guess they're going to save that for the premier next season, and then Asha will hear about it and have to call off her plan to save Theon.

Asked yesterday, but it got downed out.

Did Bran never tell Sam to stay quiet about them to Jon?

Yeah, I was surprised by that. He didn't say anything about it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was surprised that (ASOS)
Balon didn't die this episode. I guess they're going to save that for the premier next season, and then Asha will hear about it and have to call off her plan to save Theon.

Yeah, I was surprised by that. He didn't say anything about it.

Correct me on the books.

ASOS
Did Bran or Coldhands tell Sam or keep quiet?

Just dawned on me. No Coldhands :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So I guess making a gif of Kaz (Roose) stabbing Mattrick (Robb) in the heart and saying "NeoGAF sends their regards" isn't allowed? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom