• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
GEXjmXs.png

Lach

- Sansa and Tyrion being all mischievous seemed very, very out of character to me. Their scene prior to Tyrion learning of the red wedding in the book was a miserable, dreary supper.

I kinda liked this. Having Sansa warming up to him only for it to be crushed into pieces by the news was great.

It also completely changes his relationship with Davos. It's no longer Davos is spared because he's Stannis' most trusted advisor and closest friend who has reminded him of his principals and what he needs to do to fulfill them. Now he wants Davos dead but won't because Melisandre says they need him to build a pirate army or some shit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated that scene. It was a real feel good moment in the book where the 3 lead characters came together to unify against the real threat thanks to Davos being Stannis's one true friend, yet last night it only seemed to serve to make Stannis look like a moustache twirling villain.

The other scene I really didn't like was the John/Ygritte one. She didn't have to shoot him with a ridiculous amount of arrows, just have her aim for a fatal shot then choosing to release it into his ass with a cry of anger instead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
True, I did think they would play up the jealousy angle more. But I still don't see the problem with how things are progressing. At the end of the day, Shae will betray Tyrion, and I don't think it matters whether she does it partially out of feelings of jealousy, or out of simple self-preservation. Either scenario could possibly come up, and nothing would be loss. You're worrying over nothing.
[ASoS]
It wouldn't make sense for Shae to testify at Tyrion's trial when it'd also incriminate Sansa whom she fiercely "loves". And the self-preservation aspect would just come out of nowhere. Meh.

Eh, agree to disagree. For you the death of the Halfhand was some gut-wrenching, pivotal moment in the series, akin to the death of Ned Stark himself. For me it was Tuesday.[/quote
e_e

Seriously though, you label Qhorin as a friend and brother to Jon, as if they had some deep, powerful relationship, but Ygritte is just a fuck buddy? Give me a break.
In the TV show, that's exactly what she is. They have no chemistry whatsoever, and the romance is trite and forced and completely unbelievable.

LMAO

It's what I was thinking.

And who are you, Don Mattrick said
That I must bow so low
Only a box with a different coat
That’s all the truth I know
But a coat of blue, or a coat of green
A console still has fans
And mine are strong, and loyal, my lord
As loyal and strong as yours

So he spoke, and so he spoke,
That lord of Redmond Way
Now the rains weep o’er his hall
For no one wants to pay
Yes now the rains weep o’er his hall
And not a soul will pay

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Damn, really need to catch up on the E3 stuff, that crowd reaction was amazing.

On to this ep. Most of it was pretty good, I liked all the King's Landing, Ramsay and Arya scenes. I can image most being down on the final scene, but I prefer a sendoff like this over a cliffhanger with no actual payoff like last season's. I was dead wrong on [SoS]
the Stoneheart reveal. So sure it was going to happen this ep, interesting that it didn't.

Ramsay was once again the highlight of the episode (dat gif), with the Tywin/Tyrion confrontation as an obvious runner up. Davos was brilliant as well, but it leads into the Stannis stuff, which was weird to say the least. I don't remember how it happened in the book, but did [series]
Stannis just drop everything as quickly as in this ep? Didn't Davos have a hard time convincing him to do this? Now, just because Mel suddenly declares 'this war is futile', he changes plans at a drop of a hat? The only thing I liked about that scene is that it hints at Mel being unreliable. I guess he always was a bit of a lapdog to Mel, but the show really enforces this.

There's an important descision being made in this scene, but the turnaround is so quick. Stannis makes a total 180 in his plans and motives, all happening in under a minute it seems. The only good thing about that scene was the lighting.

Reyne

[series]
Stannis just drop everything as quickly as in this ep? Didn't Davos have a hard time convincing him to do this? Now, just because Mel suddenly declares 'this war is futile', he changes plans at a drop of a hat? The only thing I liked about that scene is that it hints at Mel being unreliable. I guess he always was a bit of a lapdog to Mel, but the show really enforces this.

I am pretty sure the book didn't show too much 'convincing' either but rather cuts off as he is about to start reading the letter ( and Stannis were just about to behead Davos himself ), which is Davos last chapter in Storms. The next time we see Stannis he is at the wall crushing wildlings.

Massa

Damn, really need to catch up on the E3 stuff, that crowd reaction was amazing.

On to this ep. Most of it was pretty good, I liked all the King's Landing, Ramsay and Arya scenes. I can image most being down on the final scene, but I prefer a sendoff like this over a cliffhanger with no actual payoff like last season's. I was dead wrong on [SoS]
the Stoneheart reveal. So sure it was going to happen this ep, interesting that it didn't.

Ramsay was once again the highlight of the episode (dat gif), with the Tywin/Tyrion confrontation as an obvious runner up. Davos was brilliant as well, but it leads into the Stannis stuff, which was weird tosay the least. I don't remember how it happened in the book, but did [series]

There's an important descision being made in this scene, but the turnaround is so quick. Stannis makes a total 180 in his plans and motives, all happening in under a minute it seems. The only good thing about that scene was the lighting.

Yes, it's ridiculous how they handle it in the show. They completely butchered it.

ASOS
In the books there's a build-up from the leeching scene. As each of the three usurpers die the tension builds up; when the second king dies they have the "two is not three" conversation. Melisandre keeps insisting to sacrifice him right away, Davos counsels against and Stannis accepts his counsel. That is until Joffrey bites it, which is when Davos smuggles Edric out. Stannis is pissed because of Davos' treason but he never actually sentences him to die; Davos asks to speak and he lets him. Davos reads him the letter and next thing we know he's kicking ass in the North.

In the show Davos convinces Melisandre and Stannis is her puppy dog that does whatever he's told. In the books Davos talks King Stannis into protecting his people.

So yeah, they're completely different characters at this point. Maybe GRRM will ask D&D to rename Stannis in the show for season 4, call him "Weakinnis" or something.

Yes, it's ridiculous how they handle it in the show. They completely butchered it.
ASOS
Stannis is pissed because of Davos' treason but he never actually sentences him to die; Davos asks to speak and he lets him. Davos reads him the letter and next thing we know he's kicking ass in the North.

So yeah, they're completely different characters at this point. Maybe GRRM will ask D&D to rename Stannis in the show for season 4, call him "Weakinnis" or something.

I was disappointed by this scene myself, but only because
ASOS
I thought Stannis was supposed to sentence him to death and put a sword above this head and then Davos reads the message himself. Now we already know Stannis is going to the wall. There won't be as much surprise when the it gets under siege...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

ASOS
In the show Davos convinces Melisandre and Stannis is her puppy dog that does whatever he's told. In the books Davos talks King Stannis into protecting his people.

Oh of course, that's it. SOS
In the book he decides for himself to go, and here Mel is the one who tells and convinces him.

I was disappointed by this scene myself, but only because
ASOS
I thought Stannis was supposed to sentence him to death and put a sword above this head and then Davos reads the message himself. Now we already know Stannis is going to the wall. There won't be as much surprise when the it gets under siege...

Aaand then there's this. Didn't even cross my mind, but you're right. Okay, this is officially the weakest scene of the season.

Were any ratings numbers released for this last episode? Do we have an update on the running graph for the 3 seasons?

5.4 million viewers on the initial airing of the season finale.
96ed44b77db8545f31c9db8d359e2ccc.png

-------------------

Game of Thrones Season 3 Emmy submissions

Supporting Actor: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Sibel Kekilli
Guest Performer: Ciarán Hinds, Diana Rigg
Director: Alex Graves (And Now His Watch Is Ended), David Nutter (The Rains Of Castamere), Dan Minahan (Valar Dohaeris), David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (Walk Of Punishment)
Writing: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (The Rains of Castamere)
Cinematography: Anette Haellmigk (And Now His Watch Is Ended), Rob McLachlan (Mhysa), Chris Seager (The Bear And The Maiden Fair), David Katznelson (The Climb), Jonathan Freeman (Valar Dohaeris), Matthew Jensen (Walk Of Punishment)
Editing: Katie Weiland (And Now His Watch Is Ended), Frances Parker (Dark Wings, Dark Words), Oral Ottey (The Rains Of Castamere)
Art Direction: Valar Dohaeris, Kissed By Fire
Costumes: Walk of Punishment
Hair: Second Sons
Makeup: Kissed By Fire
Makeup (Prosthetic): Valar Dohaeris
Sound Editing: And Now His Watch Is Ended
Stunt Coordination: Kissed By Fire
The full series was also submitted in the Drama and Casting categories.

Now the way acting submissions work as I understand it is that both HBO and the actors themselves can submit for consideration.

Not sure if HBO or the actors decisions in that case, but I'm a bit puzzled about some of those choices. No Charles Dance or Maisie Williams? And no Richard Madden? (He was submitted last year, and no he doesn't stand a realistic chance of getting nominated, but it's nice to see that recognition of the submission.)

--------------------------

io9 looks at what content from the books we'll see in season 4 (obviously spoilers for all books)

----------------------------

Finally, I mean to do a final content roundup for the season, but with GAF being down all the time and such the last couple days it just hasn't happened. I will get to it eventually.

EDIT: Beaten horribly!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau better win it, but Alfie Allen got robbed again. He should have won last year, and he didn't even get nominated this year.

CassSept

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau better win it, but Alfie Allen got robbed again. He should have won last year, and he didn't even get nominated this year.

I definitely hope he gets a nomination over Dinklage this year. Aaron Paul didn't have many scenes in the last half-season of Breaking Bad so maybe he has some kind of a chance of winning?

Ahh, yeah. I should have read more of what you posted. That's the only way it could make any sense.
Yeah apparently Natalie and Sibel were self submissions. The other six were the original submissions by HBO.

Given that Kit over Richard or Charles? Wat. Eh, doesn't really matter I guess.
Be happy if Nikolaj gets a nom. I think the size of this cast really hurts actors chances in award shows such as the Emmys even with the large list of good performances on this show. The fact that Alfie didn't even really get much buzz last year is pretty decent evidence to that.

Speevy

Banned
It would have been funny if Jojen Reed had said after Bran's story "Let's hope so. Walder Frey sure did kill your mother and brother under his roof."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Peter Dinklage still managed to win last year with his uninspired performance. I don't mean this as an insult either, he is a good actor and I love Tyrion, but the scenes where he was supposed to act emotional were cringe worthy and it doesn't help that he has do scenes with the woman who plays Shae.

Peter Dinklage still managed to win last year with his uninspired performance.

Dinklage won awards for his performance last season...? That...changes my perception somewhat, I guess it is possible when the show is as popular as it is.

Edit: Ah, so he didn't win. Fair enough, much of the cast do / did deserve nominations, he included, despite his weak performances in specific scenes.

Peter Dinklage still managed to win last year with his uninspired performance. I don't mean this as an insult either, he is a good actor and I love Tyrion, but the scenes where he was supposed to act emotional were cringe worthy and it doesn't help that he has do scenes with the woman who plays Shae.

Dinklage didn't win the Emmy last year, he was nominated though.

Yeah, Alfie should have gotten it last year. I'm less sure about this year since he had less overall screen time, but he's still more deserving than Dinklage or fucking Harrington. I'd also definitely put Conleth Hill in the mix.

Sophie Turner also really deserves a nomination. And Iwan Rheon for guest performer.

Really, these nominations are a joke. Nikolaj and Dianna Rigg are really the only ones who 100% deserve it. Michelle Fairley did a great job with what she had, but she had too little screen time this season (which is one of the failings of the season) to really be considered.

Kazzy

At least it's consistent. Dany's story has been bad since the first episode of the series. There's something to be said about the productions commitment in keeping it consistently awful! They should be applauded for it. Lol.

I rest that more on the character, though the performance really does stifle her portrayal as some charismatic driving-force.

I also find it really hard to find any sort attachment to her particular tale. I mean, for a world that is steeped in such drudgery and misery, Daenerys seems to be walking through a fan-fic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
LOL @ nominating Kit Harington and not Charles Dance. WTF? And Sibel instead of Michelle, Lena or Natalie? Ugh. Why would she do that, she has zero chance anyway (assuming she nominated herself and not HBO).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to keep up with these Game of Thrones threads? I guess things will slow down now that the season is over, but when the season is running, the thread(s) moves so fast that I find it hard to participate in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom