• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the Nathalie Emmanuel gif in the sam tarly thread

ASOS
do we still get lesbian dany scenes? pleeaasseee do it with missandei the fandom would go insane

My money is that there is a 99% chance that won't happen. Emilia is now a semi known name, and likely won't get as naked as she used to.

With the new synopsis' I guess that confirms that [episode 5/ASoS]
"Tyrion learns the cost of weddings" really is just him being the master of coin and having to find the money for Joffrey's wedding early next season? I also really think "Jaime is judged by men" is him losing his hand.

ASOS/season 3 spoilers
As Iksenpets mentioned, I've deduced that Jaime losing his hand is the end of episode 3 scene, I do agree that the "Tyrion learning the cost of weddings" is literal though.
Agree fully.

They've made Robb a more front and center character than the books, and bits like with Catelyn in the last episode serve to make the both more sympathetic to the audience for when the wedding happens. I don't mind them doing it, because it has the potential to work out great. I really, really hope they don't blow it with too much foreshadowing. It needs to some as a total shock. I ignore the no book spoilers thread (don't even look at it), but I will be looking at it after that episode with a bit of perverse glee.

ASOS/Season 3
I've actually been a bit surprised (pleasantly to an extent) to find them masking Bolton's possible turn with Karstark's blatant unhappiness in the first two episodes. Although it will come as no surprise when Karstark murders the Lannister prisoners, Roose looks like the steadfast loyalist compared to him at this point. The Locke thing can work out as well, him simply thinking that removing Jaime's hand is good for the Northern cause, but I think the defining moment for the audience and Roose this season is the conversation/reasons he gives for letting Jaime continue to Kings Landing.

I also think that even if they don't foreshadow too much, the fact that episode 9 reportedly features a small group of characters (if that means just the characters at the Twins or perhaps just not Kings Landing and Dany), I feel the what is sure to be ominous tone, and serious screen time for a wedding is going to sort of give it away while it's happening. That said, I guess that creates a bit of a "I'm pretty sure this is going to happen, but there is no way they can do this" thought train for the audience, which is similar to the events in the book (at least that's how I experienced it).

Wow, that was some stream of consciousness.

Was the traveling merchant that ran into Jamie and Brienne (the one whom Jamie suggested they kill) the same one who identified them to the Boltons? I don't recall the face.

Yes, that's how they identified him.

Here is a question worth asking. Where the fuck is the greatjon?

Unfortunately not asked to be a part of seasons 2 and 3 for what appears to be the simple need to focus on some of Robb's other bannerman.

Damn shame, the Greatjon is the shit and Clive Mantle was great as him.

Pkaz01

Unfortunately not asked to be a part of seasons 2 and 3 for what appears to be the simple need to focus on some of Robb's other bannerman.

Damn shame, the Greatjon is the shit and Clive Mantle was great as him.

ASOS spoilers
I hate that decision, the greatjon was the prime example of the loyalty Robbs real bannerman had for him, the example of how much the north loves the starks and how loyal they were even through the worst, the show is making robb look like an idiot because the only people they show as his bannerman are karstark and Roose two of the most disloyal fucks in his army. Where are the Mormonts and the Umbers and the manderlys. I have a feeling the Blackfish will play this role but its just not the same.

and I agree the character is fucking awesome as well. That storyline needs some good supporting characters to show people that fuck yea people still care about the starks.

I also agree with the sentiments that they are trying too hard with the red wedding and are going to ruin it, part of the reason is because they are making the negativity around Robb too obvious most of the people chanting King in the North arent even there.

A loss, he's basically forgotten. As are many other awesome characters. And while I can understand the loss of some characters, it is a bit of a loss here as they had him in the show.

Robb's storyline is basically fucked, which is funny because they actually tried to portray it in the show whereas it was mostly "offscreen" in ACOK.

Pkaz01

A loss, he's basically forgotten. As are many other awesome characters. And while I can understand the loss of some characters, it is a bit of a loss here as they had him in the show.

Robb's storyline is basically fucked, which is funny because they actually tried to portray it in the show whereas it was mostly "offscreen" in ACOK.

Yea stop forcing Talisa down my fucking throat and show me the Greatjon and the awesome people.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ASOS spoilers
I hate that decision, the greatjon was the prime example of the loyalty Robbs real bannerman had for him, the example of how much the north loves the starks and how loyal they were even through the worst, the show is making robb look like an idiot because the only people they show as his bannerman are karstark and Roose two of the most disloyal fucks in his army. Where are the Mormonts and the Umbers and the manderlys. I have a feeling the Blackfish will play this role but its just not the same.

and I agree the character is fucking awesome as well. That storyline needs some good supporting characters to show people that fuck yea people still care about the starks.

I also agree with the sentiments that they are trying too hard with the red wedding and are going to ruin it, part of the reason is because they are making the negativity around Robb too obvious most of the people chanting King in the North arent even there.

ASOS
I honestly don't think it was that different in the books. Robb's portrayal had taken on a pretty negative light and Catelyn and others repeatedly noted him fucking up all the time in ASOS, and really, it kind of did look bleak and as though he had no real allies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ASOS
I honestly don't think it was that different in the books. Robb's portrayal had taken on a pretty negative light and Catelyn and others repeatedly noted him fucking up all the time in ASOS, and really, it kind of did look bleak and as though he had no real allies.

[ASoS]
True enough. I think the shock was because things seemed to be looking up once Lord Frey agreed to marry a daughter to Edmure after learning Robb broke his promise. I mean he grouches a lot and talks of insults, but there's no sign that he'd be so openly hostile, and the readers would probably not expect him to break guest right once bread and salt are secure, so the massacre that follows was indeed shocking despite so many signs and all the foreshadowing.

Superb writing by GRRM, I hope the series does it justice. They did do Ned's execution well, so I still have some hope... :p

KY6tqbd.jpg

Barristan!!!!!

Iksenpets

Banned

I don't think they mention it in the show, but the bonus materials on the season 2 bluray say that he's been cleaning up the Riverlands and retaking some of the smaller castles there while Robb invades west. No idea what they'll come up with, or if they'll even try, to explain why he remains off camera now that we're back in the Riverlands.

Whatever happened to the subplot about Robb (ASOS)
having to chop off Lord Karstark's head?

(btw I have not watched any season 3 yet)

CassSept

[ASOS/series]
Episode 5 synopsis mentions "Robb being betrayed", I can't really think of any other event that would fit the bill more.

At least I hope so.

[ASOS/series]
Episode 5 synopsis mentions "Robb being betrayed", I can't really think of any other event that would fit the bill more.

At least I hope so.

Seems to me like they're skipping it, because the first half of that subplot already happened in season 2. But I hope I'm wrong. Would be awesome to see.

ASOS/Season 3
I've actually been a bit surprised (pleasantly to an extent) to find them masking Bolton's possible turn with Karstark's blatant unhappiness in the first two episodes. Although it will come as no surprise when Karstark murders the Lannister prisoners, Roose looks like the steadfast loyalist compared to him at this point. The Locke thing can work out as well, him simply thinking that removing Jaime's hand is good for the Northern cause, but I think the defining moment for the audience and Roose this season is the conversation/reasons he gives for letting Jaime continue to Kings Landing.

I also think that even if they don't foreshadow too much, the fact that episode 9 reportedly features a small group of characters (if that means just the characters at the Twins or perhaps just not Kings Landing and Dany), I feel the what is sure to be ominous tone, and serious screen time for a wedding is going to sort of give it away while it's happening. That said, I guess that creates a bit of a "I'm pretty sure this is going to happen, but there is no way they can do this" thought train for the audience, which is similar to the events in the book (at least that's how I experienced it).

[ASoS Major spoilers]
Yeah, I remember reading up to the RW and not ever really putting the dots together that Roose was bad. I think its mostly because I was looking at the stuff Ramsay was doing and getting the impression that Ramsay was sort of going rogue and that Roose wasn't really in control of him.

And then you get to the RW scene and nothing bad happens immediately. I mean, you have Robb being smart in not taking Jeyne, so as to not offend Frey and they get past the guest right. I actually had the RW spoiled for me before I read ASoS, but I only knew that Robb and Cat were murdered at some event called the Red Wedding. So reading that whole section was TENSE as all hell. I kept expecting something bad to happen and yet the wedding keeps going and going- I started to think that maybe the spoilers I had been told were wrong. Its like Robb and Cat can see the finish line and are just about ready to leave when Dacey tries to dance with the one guy who gets angry at her. Then Cat feels the mail underneath that guy's clothing. And then you just get that awful sinking feeling as you realize they're all fucked.

[ASoS]
True enough. I think the shock was because things seemed to be looking up once Lord Frey agreed to marry a daughter to Edmure after learning Robb broke his promise. I mean he grouches a lot and talks of insults, but there's no sign that he'd be so openly hostile, and the readers would probably not expect him to break guest right once bread and salt are secure, so the massacre that follows was indeed shocking despite so many signs and all the foreshadowing.

Superb writing by GRRM, I hope the series does it justice. They did do Ned's execution well, so I still have some hope... :p

YES! [ASoS Major spoilers]
Thats exactly how I felt. And then the actual way in which the massacre plays out is incredibly memorable too. Its not a quick affair and especially how Cat dies is just so sad and awful.

I do wonder how faithful the show will be with the RW scene. Will they have Cat snap and kill Jinglebell? How graphic will they be?

Most importantly, is Talisa going to be there? I think there were rumors she is, which would make Robb look like a fool yet again. Unless of course they try to do the whole "Talisa was a Lannister spy all along!" thing, which would really piss me off.

Seems to me like they're skipping it, because the first half of that subplot already happened in season 2. But I hope I'm wrong. Would be awesome to see.

I thought I recall seeing a scene in one of the trailers that looked like it could be from the scene you're talking about. I can't imagine they'd skip it since they've foreshadowed that enough to this point.

Lothar

Banned
Are there going to be any battles this season? (SoS spoilers)
Dany's unsuilled vs Yunkai army in the fields? The first skirmish on the Wall where Ygritte dies?

Ark

Dany's unsuilled vs Yunkai army in the fields? The first skirmish on the Wall where Ygritte dies?

The latter probably won't happen until season 4.

ASOS/SERIES
I assume the season will end with Jon riding back to the wall after Queenscrown. Could be wrong though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

ASOS
Based on TV Logic I feel its almost assured given that they've bothered to establish Karstark and what his problem is.

RaidenZR

Something that's been bugging me since I rewatched episode 2 last night... And I'm not sure if I need to spoiler this since it's a show-specific question, but I'll do it just to be safe in case I happen to be revealing something that it looks like characters on the show are not privy to.

When Theon's getting tortured he has no idea who these people are. He asks as much, and asks what they want. [ASOS, AFFC, ADWD]
Now, in the books and the show the Bolton sigil is a flayed man graphic, which plainly resembles the torture device Theon is strapped to. In the universe of the show, couldn't he figure it out? He was raised at Winterfell, and knowing the Boltons are bannermen of the North, wouldn't he have been exposed to their sigil at some point and thus recognize the device (assuming he's never seen it before the day he was strapped to it). Even if that device is used all over Westeros in many castles, the Boltons have that reputation by just having that as their sigil. It's mentioned at the end of the episode. Maybe he doesn't need to reveal it in the show right in the first scene through blatant dialogue, but internally he should be able to put 2 and 2 together. He should at least be including house Bolton in the short list of contenders in his head.

Am I missing something?

exYle

Something that's been bugging me since I rewatched episode 2 last night... And I'm not sure if I need to spoiler this since it's a show-specific question, but I'll do it just to be safe in case I happen to be revealing something that it looks like characters on the show are not privy to.

When Theon's getting tortured he has no idea who these people are. He asks as much, and asks what they want. [ASOS]
Now, in the books and the show the Bolton sigil is a flayed man graphic, which plainly resembles the torture device Theon is strapped to. In the universe of the show, couldn't he figure it out? He was raised at Winterfell, and knowing the Boltons are bannermen of the North, wouldn't he have been exposed to their sigil at some point and thus recognize the device (assuming he's never seen it before the day he was strapped to it). Even if that device is used all over Westeros in many castles, the Boltons have that reputation by just having that as their sigil. It's mentioned at the end of the episode. Maybe he doesn't need to reveal it in the show right in the first scene through blatant dialogue, but internally he should be able to put 2 and 2 together. He should at least be including house Bolton in the short list of contenders in his head.

Am I missing something?

Well, he is being tortured, so it's likely that the thoughts in his head are predominantly "fucking ow"

Eidan

When Theon's getting tortured he has no idea who these people are. He asks as much, and asks what they want. [ASOS, AFFC, ADWD]

Am I missing something?

Season 3 and I guess the series
He's being tortured first and foremost, so his ability to rationalize his situation could obviously be compromised, especially when you consider that before being in a foreign dungeon he was last giving a speech to his men in Winterfell. Also, he's just on a torture rack. As you mentioned, the thing could possibly be all throughout Westeros. As far as I know there's nothing unique about the torture rack seen on the Bolton sigil. With that all said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boltons are on a shortlist of possible suspects running through his mind, if any are.

RaidenZR

SERIES
But does he really have any reason to suspect the Boltons?

Well for the reasons I just said (he's on a device that blatantly is pointed out to us at the end of the episode to be their sigil). And knowing Theon's lived in this world longer than we have and been exposed to it, seems likely. PLUS, he's betrayed the North/Robb. The North will not forget that so soon.

Cooking with Samwell!
http://www.mtv.com/videos/interview/896861/john-bradley-cooking-with-thrones-ep-2.jhtml#id=1676036

Hot Pies Hot Tips are awesome.

Trasher

My money is that there is a 99% chance that won't happen. Emilia is now a semi known name, and likely won't get as naked as she used to.

There is still hope!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/game...r-folks-about-danys-nude-scenes_article_73693

Actors obviously have that stuff written into their contracts, and if she's already done it before then she probably still will/can unless her contract has been redone or whatever.

This article talks about it with Kit Harington, and he sort of seems to refer to signing something a long while back that said he would do it:
I signed a nudity clause way back when, so I knew at some point it’s going to happen and I won’t spoil it for your readers for when it does.

Makes me think that she probably signed the same clause way back during season one.

Lothar

Banned

The latter probably won't happen until season 4.

ASOS/SERIES
I assume the season will end with Jon riding back to the wall after Queenscrown. Could be wrong though.

I'm asking because I'm still trying to see why they couldn't show the Night's Watch battle.
There's supposed to be a battle in Season 4 that will be better than Blackwater. Where is the budget going this season? Someone might say towards dragons and direwolves CGI, but won't there be dragons and direwolves CGI in season 4 too?

Tacitus_

I'm asking because I'm still trying to see why they couldn't show the Night's Watch battle.
There's supposed to be a battle in Season 4 that will be better than Blackwater. Where is the budget going this season? Someone might say towards dragons and direwolves CGI, but won't there be dragons and direwolves CGI in season 4 too?

Bunch of stuff. Dragons, preview
climbing the Wall
, all sorts of nastiness behind the Wall...
They'd need to hire a lot of extras for that battle scene to boot.

exYle

I'm looking forward to that battle! That'll be the
The Siege of the Wall, no? And if they're gonna continue with the Episode 9 shocker episodes, it'll be either the Siege or the Viper vs. Mountain battle - either way, the two will follow each other pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to that battle! That'll be the
The Siege of the Wall, no? And if they're gonna continue with the Episode 9 shocker episodes, it'll be either the Siege or the Viper vs. Mountain battle - either way, the two will follow each other pretty quickly.

When ASOS
Stannis shows up at the Wall with his army...well, it's going to be a pretty fantastic moment. Especially if in the episode before they just show a scene with Davos telling Stannis he needs to go somewhere to prove he is worthy to be King, and to prove he cares about the realm, and Stannis agreeing but not giving away where he is going. Him showing up at the wall will be a big splooge moment for lots of fans of the show who haven't read the books, and I think will turn around a lot of people's opinion about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom