• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

I think it'll be pretty awesome since the reviewers have singled it out as a great scene, and they as much as anyone would complain if *ASOS spoilers*
Dany's slaver BBQ was just a retread of what she did in the S2 finale.

do you have a link to the review?

caesar

Banned
tumblr_mleymeghuI1ru44ono1_400.jpg

Snake

do you have a link to the review?
There have been many reviews and I wasn't remembering one specifically, but here's an example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/game-of-thrones-season-3_b_2966748.html

*Minor Episode 4 spoilers*
As for Daenerys, well, Emilia Clarke's eyes are a special effect in a class all by themselves. There's a Khaleesi moment in the fourth episode that's as thrilling as anything the show has ever done.

Ark

You guys need to get off that Horseface Kool-Aid. Arya ain't shit.

ADWD
Arya and Tyrion both start out being pretty cool and exciting in the books, but where I am in ADWD where Tyrion just got kidnapped by Jorah[?] I'm sick of their stories and how they always seem to end up being thrust away from their goal just before they're about to reach it.

Really annoys me.

RaidenZR

ADWD
Arya and Tyrion both start out being pretty cool and exciting in the books, but where I am in ADWD where Tyrion just got kidnapped by Jorah[?] I'm sick of their stories and how they always seem to end up being thrust away from their goal just before they're about to reach it.

Really annoys me.

[ADWD]
To me, Arya seems destined to have the most absolute and tragic arc of all the characters in these books. I just don't think we're going to see her reunite or get revenge in the way that everyone hopes/thinks she will. Just a gut feeling I have, and not much to base it on other than GRRM will probably do what no one predicts or anticipates.

Tyrion on the other hand, I think will get some moments of triumph in one way or another. Although I've still no idea what the dynamic will be like should he meet Daenerys. I just can't imagine what those conversations will be like because I can't see her having much patience for his sarcasm and japes. It will also be cool to learn if he's got some deep-down and dusty knowledge about dragons that he's not let on given all his oft-mentioned reading.

RaidenZR

You should use more spoiler tags, because [ADWD]
Your post already reveals both Arya and Tyrion will still be alive by ADWD

Alright, I put my whole response in spoiler tags just to be on the safe side. You shouldn't quote my entire post though because it's just exacerbating it.

Edit: too slow. You ARE correct about everything.

cj_iwakura

[ADWD]
To me, Arya seems destined to have the most absolute and tragic arc of all the characters in these books. I just don't think we're going to see her reunite or get revenge in the way that everyone hopes/thinks she will. Just a gut feeling I have, and not much to base it on other than GRRM will probably do what no one predicts or anticipates.

Tyrion on the other hand, I think will get some moments of triumph in one way or another. Although I've still no idea what the dynamic will be like should he meet Daenerys. I just can't imagine what those conversations will be like because I can't see her having much patience for his sarcasm and japes. It will also be cool to learn if he's got some deep-down and dusty knowledge about dragons that he's not let on given all his oft-mentioned reading.

[ADWD]
Tyrion's already gotten his payoff. Arya needs hers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
[ADWD]
I would love it if
she did help her siblings at the end and when they come up to thank her/welcome her home she shows no emotion and changes her face and walks away.

RaidenZR

[ADWD]
Tyrion's already gotten his payoff. Arya needs hers.

[Series]
Eh, let's be honest... Killing Tyrion and Shae is only a partial payoff considering he is in shambles (partly his own doing), he's in exile/been outcasted/on the run, and part of his adult life was revealed to be a lie.

I agree that Arya deserves some kind of payoff... I just think GRRM will simply deny her that based on how the story has gone thus far. And to be honest, I think she will get some small triumphs in the future, but when you take a step back and look at the books as a bigger thing it tells you something. Characters get their occasional 'fuck yeah!' moments here and there but life in his ASOIAF universe is ultimately a shit one.

Massa

[Series]
Eh, let's be honest... Killing Tyrion and Shae is only a partial payoff considering he is in shambles (partly his own doing), he's in exile/been outcasted/on the run, and part of his adult life was revealed to be a lie.

I agree that Arya deserves some kind of payoff... I just think GRRM will simply deny her that based on how the story has gone thus far. And to be honest, I think she will get some small triumphs in the future, but when you take a step back and look at the books as a bigger thing it tells you something. Characters get their occasional 'fuck yeah!' moments here and there but life in his ASOIAF universe is ultimately a shit one.

ADWD
I don't care about Arya seeing the Starks again but I'll be damned if she isn't reunited with Nymeria.

GRIP

Sorry if this has been brought up, but is the guy who rescued Theon
Boltons bastard son? Dude that makes Joffrey look like a choir boy?

I haven't read the books, but got really interested last season and did some reading on what happens to a lot of the characters. So no need to worry about spoilers, any information would be great.

exYle

Sorry if this has been brought up, but is the guy who rescued Theon
Boltons bastard son? Dude that makes Joffrey look like a choir boy?

I haven't read the books, but got really interested last season and did some reading on what happens to a lot of the characters. So no need to worry about spoilers, any information would be great.

Yep

New episode tonight: And Now His Watch is Ended

Synopsis said:
The Night’s Watch takes stock. Varys meets his better. Arya is taken to the commander of the Brotherhood. Daenerys exchanges a chain for a whip.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When they used the "dracarys" moment in S2, I was annoyed, because... you know. I was also greatly annoyed at the stupid dragon theft plot and "where are mah dragons!!!" nonsense. Now I see I was right:

[ASoS]
"How lame would it be though, for this guy to give her all the Unsullied and then Dany just says that chant and has the Slaver burned?"
"Nobody with half a brain believes that Dany is going to give away one of her babies. Also, using them to burn the slave trader would be a bit trite."

So, by planting the idea that Dany would never ever part with a dragon at any cost, and spoiling the wonderful "dracarys" moment too early, it appears they will turn one of Dany's best scenes into a trite and predictable one. Way to go, showrunners. :\

ASOS
They could simply replace the "dracarys" moment with her just using the Unsullied to slaughter the Good Masters and just having Drogon fly back with the same lines (e.g. just delete the "dracarys" line and have the scene play out the same way as in ASOS.) It wouldn't be the same but they already used the "Dracarys" thing. It does seem like it would just be the same thing if it played out as in the book (which isn't guaranteed).

hoos30

You guys need to get off that Horseface Kool-Aid. Arya ain't shit.

Agreed 100%. Series
Nothing that happens to her occurs because of her own volition. She gets carried to Kings Landing. She gets carried from Kings Landing. She gets carried across the Narrow Sea. She is just a spectator in her own life. Her character is better than Sansa, but that is not saying much. Dany and Cersei **** on Arya from a great height :)

So, I haven't been checking this thread lately, but what are the chances that Theon's rescuer is
Ramsay Snow
? It would be weird if the show deviated from the book too much.

Edit: Nevermind, someone asked the same question a couple posts above. Still interesting to speculate. Would be a really interesting twist for those who haven't read the books.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Agreed 100%. Series
Nothing that happens to her occurs because of her own volition. She gets carried to Kings Landing. She gets carried from Kings Landing. She gets carried across the Narrow Sea. She is just a spectator in her own life. Her character is better than Sansa, but that is not saying much. Dany and Cersei **** on Arya from a great height :)

Series
She is becoming a Faceless person largely of her own volition though

Agreed 100%. Series

She escapes from Harrenhal, and actually has to do something during the escape.

edit: not sure why I spoilered that

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ She also [series]
runs away from the BwW of her own volition. She does then get grabbed by the Hound, and is more or less a captive but she eventually grudgingly agrees to travel with him once he reveals he's taking her to ransom her to Robb (which suits her because she'd be reunited with her family), and then to her aunt after the Red Wedding appears. When the Hound gets fatally (?) wounded, she decides on her own to go to Braavos.
To claim that "Nothing that happens to her occurs because of her own volition." is completely preposterous.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
^ She also [series]
runs away from the BwW of her own volition. She does then get grabbed by the Hound, and is more or less a captive but she eventually grudgingly agrees to travel with him once he reveals he's taking her to ransom her to Robb (which suits her because she'd be reunited with her family), and then to her aunt after the Red Wedding appears. When the Hound gets fatally (?) wounded, she decides on her own to go to Braavos.
To claim that "Nothing that happens to her occurs because of her own volition." is completely preposterous.

Series
It's an irrelevant complaint anyways, in my opinion. She's a 10 year old girl in a world where attempting to go from Point A to Point B without a literal army is practically asking to be killed/raped/maimed.

hoos30

^ She also [series]

Let me clarify. Every other POV character is
one or two degrees separated from the Iron Throne whereas Arya is literally just the Windblown. Unless GRRM is seriously holding out on us, Arya is fully cemented in the bottom third of GoT characters.
IMHO of course ��

one or two degrees separated from the Iron Throne whereas Arya is literally just the Windblown. Unless GRRM is seriously holding out on us, Arya is fully cemented in the bottom third of GoT characters.
IMHO of course ��

Series
Maybe she will assassinate the King at some point...if its GRRM like it's probably right after a new king is crowned or something

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Series
It's an irrelevant complaint anyways, in my opinion. She's a 10 year old girl in a world where attempting to go from Point A to Point B without a literal army is practically asking to be killed/raped/maimed.
Oh, I agree. If anything, "Nothing that happens to her occurs because of her own volition." is mostly true of Bran and Sansa, not Arya, but I don't hold that against them either, since they're children.

IMHO of course ��

...I... this makes so little sense, I don't even know where to begin. Sorry to ask, but are you simply just trolling now?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Series
It will be a huge disappointment if there is not a big payoff for Arya at some point. I just can't imagine going through all this development with her character, and building up her independence, just to do nothing with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom