• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That may be the point of Orell being with them. Maybe they will invent some Warg farsight communication where characters can talk to each other through a Warg'd eagle or somethign stupid like that.

I thought it was because ASOS
Jon already showed some latent Warg abilites by now, so he's going to show Jon how to do it.

calza

Speaking of Gillen, Littlefinger speculation/ASOS spoilers
In the book, now that Littlefinger has left Kings Landing and now he stays nearby somewhere until Joffrey's wedding, then he grabs Sansa and they get out, correct? Now, in the show we know we see Lysa and Robin for an episode, so will Littlefinger presumingly to the Eyrie, and then come back for Joffrey's wedding? (On top of known appearances from those two characters, I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't see Gillen until sometime in the first half of next season.)

No,
I'm pretty sure he does go to Eyrie. Then comes back for Sansa.

Kadayi

Banned
This show can't go on hiatus for a prequel, you can't tell 50 actors they aren't going to work for a year and bring them all back.

What so we're not getting those Deadwood movies HBO promised after all?

(Yeah... I'm still bitter)

Indeed. Any kind of break ultimately means people are going to move on. Albeit I suspect the main cast are all on reasonably decent appearance contracts , with a minimum number of appearances per season (giving them a fixed income in effect) we're not talking friends money here. The bulk of the shows budget probably goes on everything else.

Well they've been doing that already for Gillen, for reasons I still don't understand; he's a great actor but is just oddly bad on the show, and they've clearly written material for him as if to justify his involvement. They didn't chase but names for many of the main characters, I don't see why they did it for support characters like him and Hinds as Mance (another wasted actor thus far).

There's a lot of great material in AFFC/ADWD. And for all the complaints, AFFC is right up the alley of what the show is: a drama more focused on sheming and dialogue than action. It features some great scenes and confrontations for many characters, especially in King's Landing.

I can sort of understand Littlefinger being upplayed based on some upcoming moments (series)
by the end of ASOS/Season 4. Consider for a moment, Littlefinger is 100% responsible for the chain of events that has occurred following Jon Arryn's death since Lysa poisoned Jon on the wish of Littlefinger. I mean, do I really need to go into the chain of events that occurred following jon's death... Thats a novel in itself. He is clearly a master manipulater and it would be shocking if GRRM didn't have him in mind as quite possibly the big arch nemesis of this series (the big villian that outlasts the guys like Joffrey, Ramsey Bolton, the White Walkers, ect). I suspect we will see him become a POV character in WoW and as such after come Season 5, he will likely be even more front and center as the audience now knows essentially where he truly stands.

dubq

No,
I'm pretty sure he does go to Eyrie. Then comes back for Sansa.

He doesn't. [ASOS]
Via AWOIAF: Though Petyr leaves King's Landing, he does not go immediately to the Vale, and instead remains near the city until after the wedding between Joffrey and Margaery, in which Joffrey is killed. In the ensuing chaos, Sansa is spirited out of the city by Dontos and taken to a ship where Petyr awaits her.

RaidenZR

Speaking of Gillen, Littlefinger speculation/ASOS spoilers
In the book, now that Littlefinger has left Kings Landing and now he stays nearby somewhere until Joffrey's wedding, then he grabs Sansa and they get out, correct? Now, in the show we know we see Lysa and Robin for an episode, so will Littlefinger presumingly to the Eyrie, and then come back for Joffrey's wedding? (On top of known appearances from those two characters, I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't see Gillen until sometime in the first half of next season.)

ASOS
It's going to be sloppy if they have to leave for the Eyrie, then come back, then have to leave for the Eyrie again post-Joff. And you can't bring Sansa there AS Sansa. She has to be there as Alayne and in hiding mode. If she's there earlier as Sansa herself, then returns later as Alayne when fleeing, well that would be really silly. Can't buy that no one would recognize her there.

Edit: [ASOS]
Unless they throw out the idea entirely that she needs to be in hiding and doesn't play a part in how Joff dies.

Hystzen

I'm thinking that's very likely. ADWD
D&D recently visited George's house to check up on where the series is going, so they probably know how the battles end. We might be getting a televised preview of Winds before it even releases.

I think it was mentioned during the chat panel that was streamed that D&D know the ending , I suspect the recent news about GRRM being hired by HBO is him writing script layouts for the last 2 books and the end.

RaidenZR

I think it was mentioned during the chat panel that was streamed that D&D know the ending , I suspect the recent news about GRRM being hired by HBO is him writing script layouts for the last 2 books and the end.

I was pretty sure that he doesn't do this. He's said as much. The news about HBO hiring him was for future series ideas or adaptations of other works, or something... wasn't it?

Hystzen

ah nevermind then, honestly I'm very interested in having 2 different endings one from TV and hopefully if he releases the books a correct "canon" ending

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
at least GOT had the balls to do the hand cutting , Walking Dead backed out of the hand removing in that series

In fairness, I think that was something that Robert Kirkman himself wanted to change. We can only speculate as to whether that's due to the fact that another highly popular show with a ton of overlap in demographics was going to be running an extremely similar premise.

Gvaz

Banned
The only thing they could do is do a filler season after S4, like of topic they weren't able to cover or something while grrm gets his act together for 7 and then get on with it.

Dysun

The Walking Dead TV Show is a travesty anyway and totally unlike the source material. They basically only keep the names of the characters and locations at this point

/bitter at the Season 3 finale

This show can't go on hiatus for a prequel, you can't tell 50 actors they aren't going to work for a year and bring them all back.

I think The Wire had a couple of 2-year breaks in between seasons 3-4 and 4-5. That show had a ridiculously massive cast as well. But then they didn't have to deal with all these elaborate sets and locations around the globe and shit. But still, it seems like they could probably manage it with the cast at least.

at least GOT had the balls to do the hand cutting , Walking Dead backed out of the hand removing in that series

Jaime's hand chopping [really light ASoS spoilers]
actually has some impact on his character development in some pretty significant ways, unlike TWD. in TWD its basically a minor inconvenience but never really affects that character's development in any major ways.

Trasher

Relevant.

922392_577760508920906_1046127888_o.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only thing they could do is do a filler season after S4, like of topic they weren't able to cover or something while grrm gets his act together for 7 and then get on with it.

They could just delay Seasons 5 and 6 to some degree to pad it out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Was laughing out loud throughout the entire council meeting scene, it was so incredibly hilarious.

tumblr_mlaid3KMGF1qmn5p8o1_250.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think The Wire had a couple of 2-year breaks in between seasons 3-4 and 4-5. That show had a ridiculously massive cast as well. But then they didn't have to deal with all these elaborate sets and locations around the globe and shit. But still, it seems like they could probably manage it with the cast at least.

At its time the vast majority of The Wire's cast were unknowns and some people with no acting training at all. The only reason it worked for them was that the actors had nowhere else to run off to in the meantime. And in fact, it didn't work out perfectly, as Dominic West had another job (300) and so was barely in Season 4. It's really not a good comparison to Game of Thrones as they would almost certainly lose a lot of their main cast if they took any kind of extended break.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was laughing out loud throughout the entire council meeting scene, it was so incredibly hilarious.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/154c760ed5f8185ad986cba2cf641801/tumblr_mlaid3KMGF1qmn5p8o1_250.gif[img][/QUOTE]

It's one of the best scenes in the series to date. It sums up these 4 characters perfectly, without words.

At its time the vast majority of The Wire's cast were unknowns and some people with no acting training at all. The only reason it worked for them was that the actors had nowhere else to run off to in the meantime. And in fact, it didn't work out perfectly, as Dominic West had another job (300) and so was barely in Season 4. It's really not a good comparison to Game of Thrones as they would almost certainly lose a lot of their main cast if they took any kind of extended break.

All good points. But at the same time haven't some of the main members of the cast already been able to go off and do movies and appearances in other shows and stuff? Kit Harington and Lena Headey were both able to go do movies, Emilia Clarke is in a broadway play right now, etc.

It just seems to me like they'd be able to make it work. The harder part would be making sure they can hold onto all the sets and locations while on hiatus

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's one of the best scenes in the series to date. It sums up these 4 characters perfectly, without words.

Yep. What struck me in episode 3 is that, of the 3 or 4 great scenes in the episode, 2 were never in the book: Tywin's council and Pod's reward/return. I know the Pod scene gets some hate because there's only so much time you can devote to each character per episode, but that scene and the council scene bring some much-needed humor to the show. I'm sure some would like it if the show was nothing but traitors being tortured and raped (oh hai Theon), but I for one welcome those additions.

[EDIT]
@Emerson: how did the people who had no training as actors get hired for the Wire in the first place? I'm curious.

Yep. What struck me in episode 3 is that, of the 3 or 4 great scenes in the episode, 2 were never in the book: Tywin's council and Pod's reward/return. I know the Pod scene gets some hate because there's only so much time you can devote to each character per episode, but that scene and the council scene bring some much-needed humor to the show. I'm sure some would like it if the show was nothing but traitors being tortured and raped (oh hai Theon), but I for one welcome those additions.

I thought
The Tywin council scene was in the books, only in the books Cersei is the only one who moves her chair?
Could be thinking of another moment in the books...

dubq

Anyone who thinks that this show would take any kind of a hiatus in order for some prequel series to air is seriously delusional.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I thought
The Tywin council scene was in the books, only in the books Cersei is the only one who moves her chair?

Could be, can't remember. All I know is that I have no memory of it being in the book whatsoever, which speaks volume. If it was, then it's been tampered with to great effect in the show.

I thought

[ASOS]
Kind of sets up the overarching theme of power and power grabs that is consistent with the books. IE Tryion upset that he lost the hand of the king powers and Littlefinger's scheming to get what he wants.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep, I love the council characters antics and little plots so I had a blast. They all nailed it. One of my favorites scenes in the show so far too.

[ASOS]
I'll miss Littlefinger's interactions with Tyrion and Varys. Morbidly curious to see how Aidan Gillen will portray Petyr's all out Sansa creeper side though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
All good points. But at the same time haven't some of the main members of the cast already been able to go off and do movies and appearances in other shows and stuff? Kit Harington and Lena Headey were both able to go do movies, Emilia Clarke is in a broadway play right now, etc.

It just seems to me like they'd be able to make it work. The harder part would be making sure they can hold onto all the sets and locations while on hiatus

It's one thing to do a Broadway run during the offseason or a movie or guest arc on a show, but as soon as a cast member takes a main cast role on another show it quickly becomes very difficult to make work. That's why you very rarely see an actor in a main role on two shows simultaneously.

And the actors would do it if they had an offer during a hiatus. Unlike the fans, the majority of the cast has no real attachment to this series, certainly not enough to sacrifice a year's salary to stick it out.

Big-E

Anyone who thinks that this show would take any kind of a hiatus in order for some prequel series to air is seriously delusional.

Won't happen but I would want it to happen. Spartacus proves that it can be done and can be done well.

Zeliard

tumblr_mlaid3KMGF1qmn5p8o1_250.gif

Varys is wonderful. Conleth Hill gives what is probably my favorite performance in the show, outside of maybe Charles Dance. His demeanor and delivery are just so perfect.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Won't happen but I would want it to happen. Spartacus proves that it can be done and can be done well.

I don't know a ton about Spartacus but I'm going to venture that its cast is also not flush with big names (and glancing at IMDB seems to confirm this). Again it's not a great comparison.

At the very minimum Peter Dinklage would be quite difficult to keep through a hiatus, and losing him would be a catastrophe.

Hystzen

Jaime's hand chopping [really light ASoS spoilers]
actually has some impact on his character development in some pretty significant ways, unlike TWD. in TWD its basically a minor inconvenience but never really affects that character's development in any major ways.

That the story of TWD most things have very little to do with character development just for shocks.

At least Jaime changes him all we ever heard about was how his sword skills where him so losing his hand changed it. Also changed his view on life which is cool going be interesting to see how they handle Feast OF Crows parts later

That the story of TWD most things have very little to do with character development just for shocks.

At least Jaime changes him all we ever heard about was how his sword skills where him so losing his hand changed it. Also changed his view on life which is cool going be interesting to see how they handle Feast OF Crows parts later

AFFC/ADWD
I don't think it necessarily changed his whole world view. You did get to see his regret that he can't explain his actual reasoning for killing Aerys II, and how he's stuck with the title of "Kingslayer" for the rest of his life. Remember, after all, he is/was a knight and he did have honor. It's just that for the first 2.5 books we don't see anything from his perspective. We only saw what was fed to use through people who didn't like him

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I finally watched the episode.

Yeah I even knew about the ending song and didn't expect it to be that bad, but yeah it was. It was on par with True Blood.

lol at the Pod scenes.

I watched Rome for the first time a couple of months ago. Man did Brutus age.

Show Stannis is a pretender. Book Stannis is the one true King.

lol at the show watchers in the other thread. Those guys won't see anything coming.

Big-E

Alot of the cast was in Gods of the Arena, and they had to replace actors. Dont see how its comparable

If you do Robert's Rebellion then you could pretty much have everyone already. The kids are the ones that wouldn't be there but everyone else was around then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom