• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
as someone who has read bits and pieces of the books and wiki's (because I'm impatient and weak :p) could the most recent turn of events at Crastor's, mean ASOS
Coldhands could be showing up in the next couple of episodes? Seeing that he helps Sam and Gilly escape after the mutiny at Crastor's. I want to see what he might look like on film, and if it'd be easier to tell who he might have been

Dany

Banned
1. Robb Stark
2. Joer Mormont
3. Gendry
4. Renly

5. Jon Snow

tumblr_mlo0d40hU61qeip53o1_400.gif

I just started thinking. With the alleged confusion about who Barristan Selmy and Beric Dondarrion are.

ASOS
Are audiences aware of Kevan? Do they even know he's Tywin's brother? I'm not sure if the actor will even show up this season, but he should pop in during Tyrion's trial.

Series
No, I don't think they do (Kevan was actually in episode 8 of season 2!), but that said he will be easy to reintroduce him. "Hey remember, this is Tywin's brother? Yay if you do remember, if you don't, it's Tywin's brother, he will now have significance."

lol

-------------------

Q & A with Cogman is very interesting, some nice tidbits in there, very excited for his episode this week.

---------------------------------------

No Onna in your lists? You people should be ashamed!

Not really relevant at the moment, but how have they gone through 2 castings of Gregor Clegaine and neither of them are Robert Maillet?

Dude is 7 feet tall and has an awesome angry face.

Could totally see him (can't remember which book but don't read this if you haven't been through 'em)
rocking a greatsword with one hand

I thought Conan Stevens was great in season one- it was too bad he got so busy with other projects. Ian White wasn't an ideal replacement, IMO. I agree with you that Robert Maillet could have been really good.

tino

Banned
Tino deserves the best tag ever. Seriously.

You make me sound like I am tag fishing. I completely stand behind my viewpoints. If you guys want to bring out the arguments, you can bring out the arguments. Don't attack me personally. I am above that.

I will go on and on why Margaery Tyrell should be a younger character and played by a a younger looking actress.

As far as the ugliness of Natalie Dormer, its a separated topic. I am just saying if HBO can get Julius Caecar to play Mance Rayder, they can cast the Margaery Tyrell character properly if they want to.

Jobiensis

There should be no confusion about why Cat brought Tyrion to the Vale instead of Winterfell, only confusion about why she arrested/kidnapped Tyrion with so little real evidence in the first place.

I don't really like Cat, but she 'arrested' Tyrion because she didn't want it known that she went to King's landing. Once Tyrion saw her, it wouldn't be surprising if he figures she knows he did it. Pretty much self preservation, and in some respect to keep her family in KL safe. Tyrion tried to have Bran killed, he wouldn't have a problem having her or others in her family killed. Remember she was just with Rodrick and she tried to stay unnoticed and hidden. Only when she was discovered by Tyrion did she arrest him.

ASOS:
Her actions basically cause the slaughter of a bunch of Stark men including Ned getting speared (or in the book Ned body slammed by a horse), but if Tyrion did it it would have been a smart maneuver. Only problem is Tyrion didn't do it.

You make me sound like I am tag fishing. I completely stand behind my viewpoints. If you guys want to bring out the arguments, you can bring out the arguments. Don't attack me personally. I am above that.

I will go on and on why Margaery Tyrell should be a younger character and played by a a younger looking actress.

As far as the ugliness of Natalie Dormer, its a separated topic. I am just saying if HBO can get Julius Caecar to play Mance Rayder, they can cast the Margaery Tyrell character properly if they want to.

But Ciarán Hinds was horrible casting for Mance Rayder

Dysun

Hinds fits Mance Rayder less than Dorner fits Margaery.
And it's not even close

This sentiment that she is too old to be Margaery is borderline incomprehensible when every other character on the show has also been aged-up. You dont like her fine, but dont make it out like she is miscast. Her character in the books is barely a background character, and they are trying to bring more life into the role.

Read an interview with Bryan Cogman today with some interesting stuff:

So it looks like they will be going to unpublished material with GRRM's guidance, which is really the best way to go about it. It's weird that the show will be the place we get new revelations for awhile though.

Interview here: http://winteriscoming.net/2013/04/a...ing-process-robb-and-talisa-and-renlys-peach/

Or they need to know who are actual characters they need to cast and who they can cut/kill off.

On a seperate note, Jon's storyline for the show has been horribly written.

No he wasn't, it's the showrunners' fault that he's so stoic in the series. He's not a bad actor, and he's being told what to do

I never said he was a bad actor, I just don't think he's right for the character. I can't comment on whether his portrayal is due to the showrunner's direction or because that's how he interprets the character, as I'm not there on set.

I hope I'm proven wrong in later episodes, by the way

The lines he's being given dont seem to allow him the interpretation of being more light hearted

He's had like 3 scenes so far and they're all playing the hard ass.

Eidan

Why do people think Mance wasn't a hard ass? He seemed that way in the book. Is it because he plays music in the book?

Why do people think Mance wasn't a hard ass? He seemed that way in the book. Is it because he plays music in the book?

I don't think it has to do with him being a hard ass, in the books Mance seems more charismatic and almost mischievous. Even the way he's introduced in the book seems to suggest that he's less of a commander and more of a personality almost. He's not the typical stoic king.

Probably has a lot to do with his story about sneaking in to Winterfell, which so far has been left out of the show.

Eidan

I don't think it has to do with him being a hard ass, in the books Mance seems more charismatic and almost mischievous

Eh, ASOS
I remember Jon's interactions with Mance being pretty limited in the book. Every time they spoke it was essentially Mance telling him "I don't really trust you, crow. If you're betraying me I'll kill you". Nothing about Hinds' portrayal seems out of character.

Eh, ASOS
I remember Jon's interactions with Mance being pretty limited in the book. Every time they spoke it was essentially Mance telling him "I don't really trust you, crow. If you're betraying me I'll kill you". Nothing about Hinds' portrayal seems out of character.

I can't look through the book as I don't have it with me at the moment, but I've read it a couple of times and I never got the feeling that Mance was some serious hard ass. To each his own.

Mario007

Hinds fits Mance Rayder less than Dorner fits Margaery.
And it's not even close

This sentiment that she is too old to be Margaery is borderline incomprehensible when every other character on the show has also been aged-up. You dont like her fine, but dont make it out like she is miscast. Her character in the books is barely a background character, and they are trying to bring more life into the role.
Well that scene with Joeffry last episode was kinda disturbing to watch, considering how young the dude playing Joeffry looks. Still I like Margaery and am glad the way her character is shaping up.

Pity to hear she's not as big in the books.

Al-ibn Kermit

The female characters like Sansa, Daenerys, etc are meant to be in their mid-teens when the series starts. But if you plan to show any nudity, then obviously you need an "older" actor.

As for your opinion on how poorly cast she is, by any objective standard she is very pretty. Unique, but pretty. I'm guessing you just got a little upset that the actor looks different than how you imagined the character but if she smiled at you in public you'd be a blushing, pants-jizzing mess.

torontoml

Is there specific mods we should inform about spoilers in the non book thread? Or just anyone that's online.

Edit: Apparently it's speculation

Looks to me like Dormer's portrayal of Margaery has made for one of the more popular recent additions to the series among people here. Along with your judgment of her physical appearance, it would appear you're thrashing about on the edge of a limb by yourself here.

Hey- power to ya'. Thrash away.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shit, just got that PM. Sorry about the lack of spoiler tags. I'm usually very careful about that.

Is there any reason why we need to tag the book spoilers though? The non-readers have their threads, why can't we use this one to talk about the book stuff more freely?

Again, I'm very sorry if anyone got spoiled. It won't happen again. ;_;

Trasher

Shit, just got that PM. Sorry about the lack of spoiler tags. I'm usually very careful about that.

Is there any reason why we need to tag the book spoilers though? The non-readers have their threads, why can't we use this one to talk about the book stuff more freely?

That's what this is for.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433233

Would be redundant to do another thread.

I agree though, it's kind of annoying having so many threads. =/

First Brie > ScarJo and now this? My goodness. Twice we've agreed on ladies this week, Anti. Sign of the apocalypse?
I never said Brie > ScarJo, I said maybe, nowadays.

And Margaery might not have a typical look but I can't understand someone not finding her attractive.

Best looking are still Ygritte and Missandei

As strange as it might sound, some of us here have read the 3rd book but not all of them. That particular spoiler was for book 3, but who knows?

Zabka

I think originally there was a tagged spoilers thread to accommodate people who hadn't read all the books. The further we get along the less I feel it's necessary though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[Renly pic]
LOL

I'm not sure how you can defend
- Running off to KL, leaving her kids alone, just to deliver a message to her husband
- Capturing Tyrion and dragging him to the Eyrie (not Winterfell, wtf?)
- Trusting the slimy Littlefinger
- Leaving Jamie go

As being good decisions. She's just a frustrated, jealous, superstitious god botherer who doesn't bother to stop and think for a second before doing stuff with huge implications. Catelyn Tully sucks.
Sigh. I, and others, have already explained all of that. It's like talking to a brick wall, I guess.

1. Robb Stark
2. Joer Mormont
3. Gendry
4. Renly

5. Jon Snow
Ewww Renly doesn't belong there.
Also, did you mean Jorah? Jeor is the Old Bear. xD Not that there's anything wrong with being into grandfathers, but... yeah. ;)
Btw:
1. Jaime Lannister
2. Jaqen H'ghar
3. Ned Stark

It is known.

That's what this is for.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433233

Would be redundant to do another thread.

I agree though, it's kind of annoying having so many threads. =/

This thread is about the book series, not the show. I was thinking that we should have the no-book-spoiler thread, and a TV thread for book readers, where we can discuss the book stuff more freely. Is there any non-reader who actually hangs out in this thread?

(I'm not trying to justify my lack of tags, by the way, this was completely my mistake and it won't happen again I swear ^^. I just wish it weren't necessary to use the tags here.)

Edit:
As strange as it might sound, some of us here have read the 3rd book but not all of them. That particular spoiler was for book 3, but who knows?

That is indeed strange! What are you waiting for! Read them!

... Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Solo

I still wish the dream of Stannis being played by Mark Strong

Also come on guys no love for the Red Priestess Melisandre (Carice Van Houten)she up in top 5 easily

To expand to 5:

1. Nathalie Emmanuel
2. Emilia Clarke
3. Natalie Dormer
4. Carice Van Houen
5. Oona Chaplin

Trasher

This thread is about the book series, not the show. I was thinking that we should have the no-book-spoiler thread, and a TV thread for book readers, where we can discuss the book stuff more freely. Is there any non-reader who actually hangs out in this thread?

(I'm not trying to justify my lack of tags, by the way, this was completely my mistake and it won't happen again I swear ^^. I just wish it weren't necessary to use the tags here.)

Edit:

That is indeed strange! What are you waiting for! Read them!

... Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Except the thread is called "Game of Thrones"...lol. That's the name of the show. Hence the following statement of "Tagged Book Spoilers" that immediately follows the show's name in the thread title.

And there has been at least a couple people mention that they only watch the show, but prefer reading this thread to the other one. Don't ask me why, but that's what they've said haha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Insta-void without Khal Drogo.

Drogo > Jaime > Jaqen > Robb > Ned.

Indeed.

No way. Drogo had silly eye make-up and ugly-ass hair (and an ugly beard too). Jason Momoa looked sexier as Conan than as Drogo. And Robb's one of those pretty boys. I don't know why every girl's swooning over him, he does nothing for me (neither does Jon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom