• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

No he wasn't, it's the showrunners' fault that he's so stoic in the series. He's not a bad actor, and he's being told what to do

Agreed, but the conversation is about the physicality and looks of the casted characters. Tino argued that Margaery looks too old, but then brings up Ciarin Hinds as an example of good physical casting - I disagree. Mance is wiry, coy, and energetic. If Hinds' Mance was supposed to be very close to book Mance, he'd be an old guy acting oddly young for his look.

Hinds' portrayal of Mance now very much fits his look, but show Mance and book Mance are quite different thus far.

Shit, just got that PM. Sorry about the lack of spoiler tags. I'm usually very careful about that.

Is there any reason why we need to tag the book spoilers though? The non-readers have their threads, why can't we use this one to talk about the book stuff more freely?

Again, I'm very sorry if anyone got spoiled. It won't happen again. ;_;

Given that S3, contains elements from both SoS and DwD, it would be unfair to those who have only read up to SoS to leave all book spoilers untagged. Moreover, the non-book spoiler thread and this one bounce around in terms of activity, and non-reader newcomers may visit this thread without being aware of the other one.

No way. Drogo had silly eye make-up and ugly-ass hair (and an ugly beard too). Jason Momoa looked sexier as Conan than as Drogo. And Robb's one of those pretty boys. I don't know why every girl's swooning over him, he does nothing for me (neither does Jon).
Robb is a pretty boy but he doesn't look like a boy. He's shaping up to be mighty handsome.

And wtf. Drogo is incredible. Dat everything. Hair and odd makeup just made him more interesting.

And Jon just has a dumb face.

No he wasn't, it's the showrunners' fault that he's so stoic in the series. He's not a bad actor, and he's being told what to do

Yeah, while Mance on the show has been pretty bad, Hinds is generally great so I wouldn't put the fault with him. His character is a just another fuckup in the continuing fuckup saga that is Jon's storyline. Tormund has been pretty lame so far too, hopefully that changes.

I hate Ciaran's hair in GoT. Be it a dreadful haircut or a bad wig, it looks horrendous.

His hair is awful. And that's not usually the sort of thing that sticks out to me when watching a show, but there was something off here.

Too bad the show killed Irri off early in S2. Irri+Missandei+Dany would be the true head of the dragon.

I thought Irri was the hottest. :(

Meh. He looks goofy, to be honest. Jason Momoa is a very hot dude, but I really don't like how they set him up as Drogo.

(Bearded) Jaime > everyone. Oh, so glad they didn't shave his head. <3

48734-kahl-drogo-gif-look-wDFM.gif

In this post in the NO SPOILER thread: A book reader confirmed a spoiler by attacking someone who was speculating and accused them of spoiling when in fact they are a known non-book reader. Seriously, I can't believe people think they are helping anyone by pointing out spoilers. Just report it to a mod! Now he's actually defending himself instead of editing his initial response, and hopefully a mod comes down on him.

EDIT - Also, I am not gay, but I would consider it for Jaime Lannister.

Trasher

What? No, when I wrote "this thread" I meant the one you linked to, the one with unmarked spoilers til ADWD. I was saying it's not about the TV show.

Was kind of hard to tell what "this" was referring to. Could have meant either that thread I linked or the one we are in! Haha

So pretty much you just want a current GoT Season 3 thread that involves untagged book spoilers? I'd prefer that too, but apparently the demand for this sort of thread is too high. I think the whole reason for this situation is because initially these threads were set up under the rule that the other show thread was there to completely ignore the existence of the book series. So that created this problem of people who still wanted to acknowledge the books, but hadn't read them all yet, and then this thread is here for them as well as for us book readers.

If I were to redo these threads I would make this thread for the book readers (aka no spoiler tags at all), and the other thread would be labeled something like "Show Only *Spoiler Tag Any Book Talk*. Problem is people will bitch either way I'm afraid. It just seems silly that people want to completely ignore the source material.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LOL

Sigh. I, and others, have already explained all of that. It's like talking to a brick wall, I guess.

Ewww Renly doesn't belong there.
Also, did you mean Jorah? Jeor is the Old Bear. xD Not that there's anything wrong with being into grandfathers, but... yeah. ;)
Btw:
1. Jaime Lannister
2. Jaqen H'ghar
3. Ned Stark

It is known.

This thread is about the book series, not the show. I was thinking that we should have the no-book-spoiler thread, and a TV thread for book readers, where we can discuss the book stuff more freely. Is there any non-reader who actually hangs out in this thread?

(I'm not trying to justify my lack of tags, by the way, this was completely my mistake and it won't happen again I swear ^^. I just wish it weren't necessary to use the tags here.)

Edit:

That is indeed strange! What are you waiting for! Read them!

... Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.
There should only be two threads. The book thread and the show thread and the show thread is 100% non-spoiler. The community of people who only read ASOS is too small to justify constant accidental spoilers in the non-spoiler thread.

Dysun

This ongoing cry-fest about the threads is getting old.

There really isn't a safe place to hide from disingenuous posters no matter what it's labelled.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Was kind of hard to tell what "this" was referring to. Could have meant either that thread I linked or the one we are in! Haha
Well, it's more likely than it refers to the one that's being described accurately... ;)

I see your point, and I guess it makes sense that it happened this way. Though Angry Grimace makes a good point about the people who only read the books partially being outnumbered... But oh well, I'll stop talking about that, promise. ^^

Oh, another cute one was Jory Cassel. Dayum!

Inevitably what the mods will have to do is ban anybody who has posted in this thread and posts in the other thread. Which is a shame. I've posted there completely safely and have offered help to people via PM, but some people just love trying to appear clever I guess?

Yonafunu

Meh. He looks goofy, to be honest. Jason Momoa is a very hot dude, but I really don't like how they set him up as Drogo.

(Bearded) Jaime > everyone. Oh, so glad they didn't shave his head. <3

Tagging this just in case: ASOS/AFFC
I'm kinda bummed they didn't shave his head, actually. It'd have been perfect, perfectly signifying his change. It's basically the first step.
I love that when he gets back everyone comments how he doesn't shave anymore, and his hair's messy, and all that stuff. That's Awesome Jaime

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tagging this just in case: ASOS/AFFC
I'm kinda bummed they didn't shave his head, actually. It'd have been perfect, perfectly signifying his change. It's basically the first step.
I love that when he gets back everyone comments how he doesn't shave anymore, and his hair's messy, and all that stuff. That's Awesome Jaime
I understand why you feel that way. But the estrogen in me is just happy that it's not the case. :D

Off topic - Are you from Montreal Solo?
I'm not Solo, but I am from Montreal. >_>

Trasher

There should only be two threads. The book thread and the show thread and the show thread is 100% non-spoiler. The community of people who only read ASOS is too small to justify constant accidental spoilers in the non-spoiler thread.

Totally agree. Oh well I guess. Maybe next season? =/ lol

Minus_Me

I'm not the biggest fan of Cirian Hands as Mance but I'm hoping he grows on me since I loved him in Rome.

Nice to see another Montrealer Morrigan!

Is there specific mods we should inform about spoilers in the non book thread? Or just anyone that's online.
Your best bet is probably duckroll since he's read the books and watches the series. I also asked him to clean up the Morrigan mishap from last night. ThoseDeadMutes, Cyan, and EatChildren post in the other thread, but I don't think any of them have read all of the books so be aware of spoiling them in the process. It might be necessary in some cases, but it's something to keep in mind.

In any case, way too many posts at this point about spoilers and the optimal way to divide the threads - it'll be nice to get back to discussing the show. :D

Anyway, here's a couple random pictures of Jack Gleeson.

DLvk6HG.jpg

2oGe3eg.jpg

Regarding Theon
Did he die off screen? I was reading and then they just say Theon is probably dead at this battle. Its like he served his purpose and then was quickly disposed of from the narrative. I thought maybe I missed a chapter or five.

Bread

Banned
In this post in the NO SPOILER thread: A book reader confirmed a spoiler by attacking someone who was speculating and accused them of spoiling when in fact they are a known non-book reader. Seriously, I can't believe people think they are helping anyone by pointing out spoilers. Just report it to a mod! Now he's actually defending himself instead of editing his initial response, and hopefully a mod comes down on him.

EDIT - Also, I am not gay, but I would consider it for Jaime Lannister.
Does the sentence "I guess some of us have completely isolated ourselves from the books" mean anything to you? It's pretty obvious emwitus hasn't read the books. Anyways, take your problems to a mod, not to this thread.

Trasher

Regarding Theon
Did he die off screen? I was reading and then they just say Theon is probably dead at this battle. Its like he served his purpose and then was quickly disposed of from the narrative. I thought maybe I missed a chapter or five.

What book are you on?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Regarding Theon

How far are you into the series? [ASoS]
Hint that he wasn't dead: Robb says he received Theon's finger from Roose Bolton's bastard.
[ADwD]
Theon confirmed not dead and returns. You see his POV as Ramsay's captive.

All I can really say then is to just keep reading.

These things shall be answered in time.

It is known.

Ah, okay. i figured they were being coy about him considering his importance in the stark family and the way he was written off.

As for other characters fates
I was wondering when Rob and Catelyn would show up again. They didn't really describe their deaths. Rob got shot, sure, but we dont get any detailed account of his heart not beating. I think the last thing we hear about Catelyn is the axe hit the back of her head. The sharp part of the broadside? I should probably go reread that chapter.

[ADwD]
The Theon chapters were so good in ADwD. Some of my favourites from the series.

ADwD
I honestly never thought I would be feeling bad for Theon until that point. And now, watching the show, it's even worse. Good lord, my heart. I like to tell myself that I feel bad for Reek, cause Theon doesn't exist anymore. QQ

Ah, okay. i figured they were being coy about him considering his importance in the stark family and the way he was written off.

I was wondering when Rob and Catelyn would show up again. They didn't really describe their deaths. Rob got shot, sure, but we dont get any detailed account of his heart not beating. I think the last thing we hear about Catelyn is the axe hit the back of her head. The sharp part of the broadside? I should probably go reread that chapter.

You might want to reread those chapters, you seem to have missed some stuff.

Trasher

Hmmm. You may want to reread some things haha. Does anyone want to direct this gentleman to some facts about these characters?

I probably should reread the book. It takes me forever to read just one that I end up forgetting stuff.

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you read the entire third book? Like, do you live somewhere where it was printed as two books instead of one?

I've heard some horror stories of people who read ONLY the first or second part of the third book and didn't realize it was two parts in their language, and then moved on to AFFC and were completely confused. It kind of sounds like you might have done this.

FStop7

Banned
The late David Carradine would have been the perfect Mance. Mance as described when Jon first meets him as chilling with his lady, playing his musical instrument, and generally radiating this aura of calm, relaxed confidence among the relative savagery of the other wildlings... that totally sounds like Bill from Kill Bill. Would have been awesome.

Trasher

I probably should reread the book. It takes me forever to read just one that I end up forgetting stuff.

ASoS
HOLY SHIT MAN THAT'S LIKE THE BIGGEST CHAPTER IN THE SERIES lol. For one: They sewed Grey Wind's decapitated head onto Robb's headless shoulders. Secondly: Catelyn was revived Beric Dondarrion style. Zombie Cat ftw.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[ADwD]
The Theon chapters were so good in ADwD. Some of my favourites from the series.
Agreed. My favourite part of ADWD.

Dude... no. xD
[ASoS]
They're dead, both of them. Rob was shot with arrows, and then Roose Bolton stabbed him through the heart. They mention later that they cut off his head and sewed Grey Wind's head over his corpse. ;_; (Incidentally, this vision of dead Robb with a wolf's head was seen by Daenerys in the House of the Undying Ones in A Clash of Kings...)

Catelyn's last moment was of her throat being slit. They then dumped her body into the river. Arya had a wolf-dream with Nymeria and pulled her corpse out of the water and that's how Arya realizes her mother is dead. The axe to the back of the head was Arya being hit by the Hound, which is probably what you're confused about.

Catelyn does "come back", as Lady Stoneheart, in the ASoS epilogue, but she's not Catelyn anymore, just a ghoul hellbent on vengeance.

I'd suggest a re-read, yeah. ;)

ADwD
I honestly never thought I would be feeling bad for Theon until that point. And now, watching the show, it's even worse. Good lord, my heart. I like to tell myself that I feel bad for Reek, cause Theon doesn't exist anymore. QQ

[ADwD]
I know right? I was reading all those chapters called Reek, The Ghost of Winterfell, etc. and read those parts about "you have to know your name!!". I never really cared for GRRM's use of titles or designations over names for chapter titles since AFFC. But there's one exception, and it's Theon's arc in ADwD. When I turned a page late in the book and saw the chapter titled "Theon", I swear I had a chill. :O That whole arc was just brilliantly written with an excellent pay-off.

ASoS
HOLY SHIT MAN THAT'S LIKE THE BIGGEST CHAPTER IN THE SERIES lol. For one: They sewed Grey Wind's decapitated head onto Robb's headless shoulders. Secondly: Catelyn was revived Beric Dondarrion style. Zombie Cat ftw.

It was third hand accounts wasn't it? i figured it was an instance of an unreliable narrator. Oh well, I guess its better that way. I'm glad to see characters meeting consequences of their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom