• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddemon

Banned
jack gleason looks young because he's a fucking twig

that's to be expected since he's playing like a 17 12 15 year old in the show.

edit: man I swear I heard him say he's 17 recently. books he's 12, show he's 15. w/e.

this post sucks.

Iksenpets

Banned
I feel like that's the case with the entire wildlings in general.

I've been wondering if maybe filming in the Icelandic winter was just biting off more than they can chew. All of the beyond the Wall plots suffer from abbreviation, which would make sense given that they're on a constrained schedule with few hours of daylight and getting shut down by occasional blizzards.

I've been wondering if maybe filming in the Icelandic winter was just biting off more than they can chew. All of the beyond the Wall plots suffer from abbreviation, which would make sense given that they're on a constrained schedule with few hours of daylight and getting shut down by occasional blizzards.

That's what I've been thinking. While it does look great, I don't think it was worth it, if that is the case.

Dysun

^
They will be returning to Castle Black after this year, is that set in Belfast or Iceland? Might help out the Northern scenes which are always rushed. I imagine it's easier shooting on set then in these vast open areas they've been doing for the majority of Season 2 on

Iksenpets

Banned
^
They will be returning to Castle Black after this year, is that set in Belfast or Iceland? Might help out the Northern scenes which are always rushed. I imagine it's easier shooting on set then in these vast open areas they've been doing for the majority of Season 2 on

ASoS
Belfast, so well see if things improve at all once they re-cross the Wall this season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Making the kids older was a smart move. No one would take Robb seriously as a 15 year old, same with Jon. Sansa is 11, Arya is supposed to be 9 , with Bran 7, and Rickon only 3. Really there's nothing lost by aging them up, and so much gained. More skilled actors, less age disparity between seasons, etc.

I think all those ages are correct, at least for the beginning of the books.

dubq

The smartest thing they COULD have done for the show was to not mention ages at all. I'm over it now, but it's jarring to think of how Bran (on the show) has gone from "10" years old to looking like he's 14 in just over a year (in "on the show time"). lol he's the same height as Jon Snow in the season 3 premiere (the dream sequence).

Making the kids older was a smart move. No one would take Robb seriously as a 15 year old, same with Jon. Sansa is 11, Arya is supposed to be 9 , with Bran 7, and Rickon only 3. Really there's nothing lost by aging them up, and so much gained. More skilled actors, less age disparity between seasons, etc.

Yeah even GRRM has mentioned that he wishes he would have started all the kids being a few years older.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The timeline in the book is a bit wacky, as less than a year supposedly passed between The start of the series, and several battles into the war, including Jamie being captured.

How long are the years in this world? I know the season's are all out of whack, but has it been stated how many says a year is?

dubq

How long are the years in this world? I know the season's are all out of whack, but has it been stated how many says a year is?

That's a good question. I have no idea. The only mention of time I can remember recently was Jaime saying he's "been in the same boots for over a year" at the start of this season. Still doesn't answer how many days are in a Westeros year, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, I was going by the ASOIF wiki for the book ages. And was shocked to read how much supposedly took place in just that first year in the books.

Brashnir

That's a good question. I have no idea. The only mention of time I can remember recently was Jaime saying he's "been in the same boots for over a year" at the start of this season. Still doesn't answer how many days are in a Westeros year, though.

Also doesn't explain how they figured out what a year is without regular seasons.

Some questions are better off not asked.

dubq

Also doesn't explain how they figured out what a year is without regular seasons.

That is true. Basic rule of thumb around some of the other ASOIAF forums is that it's the same as ours.. 365 days.. otherwise we'd have no frame of reference for what a "ten year winter is" when they mention things like that.

The only thing I think they lost was how (spoilering just in case, assume for everything)
Goddamn creepy it is to have Littlefinger macking on Sansa. Not many non-book readers get it when we call him Pedofinger do they?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Well we know there are months and days and established years, even with the seasons, because characters constantly mention their "name day"

aceface

That's a good read, and I'm glad they're planning on more of them. Always interesting to get a glimpse behind the scenes at how they make the show.

Yeah...another interesting response is how they made Egg the Mad King's father for show continuity (they removed one Targaryen from the lineage in the books)...no real reason to do that unless they are considering a Dunk and Egg production later on and want to more easily connect the two series.

tino

Banned
Why do people think Mance wasn't a hard ass? He seemed that way in the book. Is it because he plays music in the book?

Well he was an all singing all dance slick guy, that's my problem with the character in the book actually. I don't believe the wildings would trust a slick singing deserter and follow him.

I picture a very energetic and charismatic man in his prime when I read the book, something like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

suzu

The only thing I think they lost was how (spoilering just in case, assume for everything)
Goddamn creepy it is to have Littlefinger macking on Sansa. Not many non-book readers get it when we call him Pedofinger do they?

Hah, well
he's still kinda.

tino

Banned
I really wish HBO used the Dany scene in the book instead

(book version of the salver scene)

She stood in she stirrups and raised the harpy's fingers above her head for all the Unsullied to see. "IT IS DONE!" she cried at the top of her lungs, "YOU ARE MINE!" ..."You ARE THE DRAGONS's NOW!" YOU'RE BROUGHT AND PAID FOR! I IS DONE! IT IS DONE!"

It was such a powerful scene. At that moment, She threw everything she owned in the ring and bet the whole house on the behavior of the Unsulllies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
7OWoWnh.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
I've been refreshing my memory on ASOS and (serious ASOS spoilers)
shit still hurts. The Bolton betrayal is just the worst kind of sucker punch.

"Jaime Lannister sends his regards."

God fucking damn it.

Eidan

Well he was an all singing all dance slick guy, that's my problem with the character in the book actually. I don't believe the wildings would trust a slick singing deserter and follow him.

I picture a very energetic and charismatic man in his prime when I read the book, something like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

I think most of the complaints about Hinds' portrayal of Mance would go away if he carried a lute everywhere he went.

Yonafunu

That reminds me, ASOS
shouldn't Balon Greyjoy die sometime around now? I recall seeing Yara (ugh) and a bunch of Ironborn in one of the trailers, and it should be before the Red Wedding, right?

Loofy

I think most of the complaints about Hinds' portrayal of Mance would go away if he carried a lute everywhere he went.
He just looks too caesarish. In the book version
jon sees mance and giantsbane, and assumes giantsbane is the king. In the show they just have mance waiting in the room since Hinds obviously has more presence onscreen.

dubq

That reminds me, ASOS
shouldn't Balon Greyjoy die sometime around now? I recall seeing Yara (ugh) and a bunch of Ironborn in one of the trailers, and it should be before the Red Wedding, right?

Correct. I'm imagining we'll find out about it in a coming episode.

dubq

He just looks too caesarish. In the book version
jon sees mance and giantsbane, and assumes giantsbane is the king. In the show they just have mance waiting in the room since Hinds obviously has more presence onscreen.

Uh, no. The exact same thing happens in the show as in the book, except..
Mance is not playing his lute (it's on the floor beside him though - nice touch) or singing. Jon assumes Tormund is king and calls him "Your Grace" but Mance corrects him. He even uses the chicken eater line.

Loofy

Uh, no. The exact same thing happens in the show as in the book, except..
Mance is not playing his lute (it's on the floor beside him though - nice touch) or singing. Jon assumes Tormund is king and calls him "Your Grace" but Mance corrects him. He even uses the chicken eater line.
Thats what I said. Its the same except mance isnt there beside him.

dubq

Thats what I said. Its the same except mance isnt there beside him.

Well, that's not how your sentence read. And besides.. ASOS ch7
if you read the book, it says nothing about them sitting next to eachother. Mance is on a pillow on the floor singing, while Tormund sits on a stool eating a chicken. This is pretty much the same thing as the show save for the singing.

Ventrue

That reminds me, ASOS

I think they might wait, to consolidate it a bit with later plot lines to do with the Iron Islands.

God fucking damn it.

[ASOS]
I SWEAR TO R'HLLOR if that scene and line does not appear in the show, I will forever stop watching the show. I fuckin mean it

Cat also needs to say "Not my hair, Ned always loved my hair" (or however it goes in her monologue). such a powerfully sad scene in the book. It would be perfect to end the episode on too, either "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" or "Not my hair" and then cut to black...and end credits. for maximum effect with the Rains of Castamere playing during the credits

I made myself sad typing that :(

Massa

[ASOS]
I SWEAR TO R'HLLOR if that scene and line does not appear in the show, I will forever stop watching the show. I fuckin mean it

Cat also needs to say "Not my hair, Ned always loved my hair" (or however it goes in her monologue). such a powerfully sad scene in the book. It would be perfect to end the episode on too, either "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" or "Not my hair" and then cut to black...and end credits. for maximum effect with the Rains of Castamere playing during the credits

I made myself sad typing that :(

I have no doubt they will nail that scene. This season's been fantastic so far and that scene is why this show exists.

God fucking damn it.

MAJOR ASOS
What's even better is that the episode before will have the bear, so people's opinion of Jaime will be at an all time high.

Edit: scratch that, it's two episodes before. Still.

ASOS
assuming they go the leeches route

ASOS and Season 3
Yeah I think the leeches may be cut, based on the leaked episode synopses, "Melisandre pays a visit to the Riverlands" in episode 6, "Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry" in episode 7, and "Davos demands proof from Melisandre" in episode 8. I think it's safe to assume that places Melisandre back at Dragonstone in episode 8, which seems too late to do the leeches scene.

Chris R

Bummed people are talking army size in the other thread. Yes they might have 80k+ men, but I think the show has done a poor job of showing just how poorly trained those soliders are, most of them being simple farmers and other town folk, not trained knights. 8000 Unsullied don't seem like that many, but a well trained army that won't break is worth so much more than a number might show. Not really a book spoiler, but I didn't want to have someone freak out about this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bummed people are talking army size in the other thread. Yes they might have 80k+ men, but I think the show has done a poor job of showing just how poorly trained those soliders are, most of them being simple farmers and other town folk, not trained knights. 8000 Unsullied don't seem like that many, but a well trained army that won't break is worth so much more than a number might show. Not really a book spoiler, but I didn't want to have someone freak out about this.

Clarifying army size is something I don't think is a bad thing to mention to the NO BOOK thread. It's not a spoiler, it's something that the show hasn't done a good job clarifying, and will let them know why Dany doesn't just head off to Kings Landing. It's a detail the show has missed, it doesn't give anything away, it doesn't ruin anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom