• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASoS
What's the source on Talisa's death? That would be disappointing and pointless. There would be no shock value for readers as we would know she would be dying as soon as she appeared on the road to The Twins or at the ceremony.

I wonder if the ASoS
Greywater Watch gang with Robb's heir info will make an appearance?
I am also wondering
where the source came from? If its true, the tv series could begin to spoil some things from the book

I am also wondering
where the source came from? If its true, the tv series could begin to spoil some things from the book

Assuming this is true, what's to stop
the writers from tricking us with a fake death of Talisa as a change to the theory book readers have that Jeyne is switched with her sister, so inn the show they don't need to introduce another character. I guess if they literally show her getting stabbed and killed that's all moot, but I don't think even a confirmation proves anything. I'm not convinced of the theory regardless but I don't think it's cut and dry in the show unless they literally show her dead and buried... and even then.

iamblades

I would say it also obvious (ADWD)
that Dany crash landing near the Dothraki is her getting a major calvary unit to smash Westros footsoliders
I suspect archers come from sellswords and what ever lords join her when she lands in Westros

That was actually left really uncertain in the book as
the last time Dany saw Jhaqo she threatened to kill him the next time she saw him.

"Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh."

Sure Dany could win over the Khalasar with a bigass dragon, but there is likely to be a fight

at minimum should be size of Drogo's as that where horde came from but it might have grown since then

No only 20k or so of Drogos 40k followed Khal Jhaqo, some went with Khal Pono, and some with Dany of course.

iamblades

the writers from tricking us with a fake death of Talisa as a change to the theory book readers have that Jeyne is switched with her sister, so inn the show they don't need to introduce another character. I guess if they literally show her getting stabbed and killed that's all moot, but I don't think even a confirmation proves anything. I'm not convinced of the theory regardless but I don't think it's cut and dry in the show unless they literally show her dead and buried... and even then.

The way I see it is the character is so minor(in the books and the TV show) that it doesn't matter either way.
I mean even if that switched sisters theory was accurate(even though the Westerlings would have no reason to go along with the ruse), what substantial role do you really think that Robb's wife and potential unborn son could possibly have on the overall story going forward.

It's not like we are going to have enough time during the rest of the books for Robb's heir to grow to an age where he can even do anything.

The way I see it Jeyne is just a big red herring that has no impact on the story going forward.

At most it's a 'it'd be nice if that happened in the end' for Robb fans.

The way I see it is the character is so minor(in the books and the TV show) that it doesn't matter either way.
I mean even if that switched sisters theory was accurate(even though the Westerlings would have no reason to go along with the ruse), what substantial role do you really think that Robb's wife and potential unborn son could possibly have on the overall story going forward.

It's not like we are going to have enough time during the rest of the books for Robb's heir to grow to an age where he can even do anything.

The way I see it Jeyne is just a big red herring that has no impact on the story going forward.

Fair enough, it all feels like wishful thinking.

RaidenZR

I read this half laughing and half scoffing at this guy. Some of his responses are appreciated and insightful while others are downright trolling. Don't misunderstand what I'm about to say, I think these writers are smart guys and have an intimidating job, but it is their job.

So yeah, no kidding you wanted more Ygritte on-screen last season, but how was that a great tradeoff when it came at the expense of making it crystal clear what the heck Jon Snow is going to be up to at the end of the season 2? It was super muddy in the show, and I know this because I've had multiple friends who are strict show watchers only ask me to shed light on that for them. One of my friends thought Jon Snow defected legitimately in heart and soul, only to watch the blu-ray's again and start scratching his head as to what was really going on.

And the Renly/Peach response was insulting. The simple prop of the peach is easy to discard, and I expected it to be absent from Renly's scenes if I'm being honest... I'm content to leave it as a thing the show had no time to incorporate, elegantly or otherwise. But when I saw he's making all that stupid shit up in that interview and then casually being like 'oh, I don't know what happened to it'. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The peach is a little tiny thing and I'm not going to make it out to be some crucial moment of the series, but I'm just annoyed with the dismissal, as though they didn't even think about it much. Renly's eating of the peach scene and references to it as a symbol told me more about Stannis and Renly's relationship than any exposition-filled moment,
especially when Stannis thinks about it later on in the books well after the fact.
It's exacerbated by the fact that they've spent more time making Renly gay jokes in the show than they have adapting his scenes well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speculation Re: Talisa (ASOS)
I'm pretty sure we'll see her die at the RW. It seems like the only way they can really ensure that people who read the books are knocked on their asses along with people who haven't. For those of us who see it coming it wouldn't really have the same amount of impact. We know they're going to die, so for us it's just a matter of watching it play out and hoping they do it justice, and then living vicariously through the reactions of everyone else. But if they really want us to be shocked, they just have to make it even more brutal - Robb's wife gets murdered right in front of him, right before he dies himself

I didn't read the article you guys are talking about though

I kinda hope [ASoS]
she doesn't die in the RW. Because if she does, I will cheer, and that scene should be tragic, not fun. :p

The Jeyne/Talisa change I don't even really mind
as she isn't really that important at all and the only reason she exists is to be a macguffin to cause Robb to fuck up everything.

The changes I dislike are the way they modified Robb and Catelyns knowledge of the fall of Winterfell and The complete bastardization of Jon and Qhorin's storyline, because they can not be fixed in the future at all. Robb and Catelyn's actions will never have the proper motivation and logic they had in the books, so they just go from tragic to foolish, and Jon will never receive that bit of character development where he becomes a responsible adult, because he spent the whole time being a whiny bitch and fucking around with Ygritte

Agreed on all counts. Well, no, I do mind Talisa xD but Robb/Catelyn and Jon/Qhorin, grrr, so much this.

Eidan

And the Renly/Peach response was insulting. The simple prop of the peach is easy to discard, and I expected it to be absent from Renly's scenes if I'm being honest... I'm content to leave it as a thing the show had no time to incorporate, elegantly or otherwise. But when I saw he's making all that stupid shit up in that interview and then casually being like 'oh, I don't know what happened to it'. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The peach is a little tiny thing and I'm not going to make it out to be some crucial moment of the series, but I'm just annoyed with the dismissal, as though they didn't even think about it much. Renly's eating of the peach scene and references to it as a symbol told me more about Stannis and Renly's relationship than any exposition-filled moment,
especially when Stannis thinks about it later on in the books well after the fact.
It's exacerbated by the fact that they've spent more time making Renly gay jokes in the show than they have adapting his scenes well.

Your rant says otherwise.

ASoS
What's the source on Talisa's death? That would be disappointing and pointless. There would be no shock value for readers as we would know she would be dying as soon as she appeared on the road to The Twins or at the ceremony.

I wonder if the ASoS
Greywater Watch gang with Robb's heir info will make an appearance?

ASOS/Season 3
Gutshot is the source

---------------------

Speaking of WiC, Curtain Call: James Cosmo

RIP Mormont :/

I wish they'd included the peach as well. So far, really the only thing that's super annoyed me. Since I was team Renly (he would have been a great king, damn it!), and that damned peach is brought up so much in later books, AND it would have been super simple to include.

Spoilers series regarding Daenery's potential army:
so assuming she gets the 20k from marrying the new Khal ADWD - and then the remaining dothraki joins her side as they see her as the mother of dragons or some nonsense. She'd have a 40k dothraki horde, however many unsullieds are left from the various battles they've been in (I think only a couple of hundreds have died), and various sell swords. Sounds decent enough as the components her army is composed by the top military forces in the world of GoT - at numbers that almost equal many of the major players back in Westeros.

RaidenZR

Speaking of WiC, Curtain Call: James Cosmo

RIP Mormont :/

I love James Cosmo and the casting of him as Mormont was bittersweet in this show when you knew he would bite the bullet. He was criminally underused, too... especially with no crow :(

Used to have an inside joke with some friends where he was forever known as 'Nooo, the other Old Guy in Braveheart'. (the first 'old guy' being Brian Cox)

Subitai

I love James Cosmo and the casting of him as Mormont was bittersweet in this show when you knew he would bite the bullet. He was criminally underused, too... especially with no crow :(

Used to have an inside joke with some friends where he was forever known as 'Nooo, the other Old Guy in Braveheart'. (the first 'old guy' being Brian Cox)
Yeah, I missed the crow too. :( ASoS
I'll really miss the crow when they pick Jon to be Commander :(

I agreed with you the writers could trick us with a fake death. but yeah just stating my thoughts when I read it. Until the eps airs and shows what the writers did/change/reveal.

could be a rally call more for the North? but yeah, too many speculations IMO since the series is not done

haha too many spoilers tag :p but still looking forward for the series and next book..hopefully soon..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Series
A child of Robb's could potentially be used to stake a claim on the North. The North is important. You have the Bolton's laying claim. You have Littlefinger plotting a claim with Sansa, Kings Landing is send "Arya" to the north to help secure the Bolton's claim.

I don't think it's going to happen since it's implied pretty heavily in AFFC that her mother has made sure she isn't pregnant (probably gave her a bunch of moon tea to be sure). Jeyne on her own is meaningless I think. I can't see her being important to the story going forward unless there is a child.

Danny needs the people of Westeros to love her and wan't her, no amount of force will make her queen and keep her there.

I think the people of Westeros will be sick of war by the time she arrives.
Her having dragons, being kind, yet at the same time being powerful and protective of her followers might garner a lot of support from the people.

Dragons alone will make her appear as divine being that has come to end the endless strife.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Danny needs the people of Westeros to love her and wan't her, no amount of force will make her queen and keep her there.

Aegon I wrecked havoc with his sisters and still established his families rule for almost 300 years. The biggest rebellions were from OTHER targaryens, the rest of Westeros 'loved' the targaryen ruling family.

Danerys can come in, smote the everybody, and easily establish her rule.

ADWD
the only problem is that there are others with better "claims" to the throne. Aegon VI seems to want Danerys to come to him and probably be his queen, but under him. If Jon Snow is Rheagars child he'd probably be an almost equal claim to the throne. Also a better chance of Jon support Aegon VI with Eddards sense of honor strong in him.

Her coming in on Drogon and just lighting half of Westeros on fire will guarantee her the Iron Throne as history has shown. Keeping it would be a problem only because of her claim.

Spoilers series regarding Daenery's potential army:
so assuming she gets the 20k from marrying the new Khal ADWD - and then the remaining dothraki joins her side as they see her as the mother of dragons or some nonsense. She'd have a 40k dothraki horde, however many unsullieds are left from the various battles they've been in (I think only a couple of hundreds have died), and various sell swords. Sounds decent enough as the components her army is composed by the top military forces in the world of GoT - at numbers that almost equal many of the major players back in Westeros.

I don't think Dany will "marry" the Khal, so much as possibly win it over with Drogon right there, but the Dothraki also think she needs to be a crone or whatever with all the other widowed Khalessi in Vaes Dothrak, so she may just have to kill most of them before they surrender to her power

Azih

I think Aegon and Robert Baretheron established that the strength of a claim to the throne isn't really all that important in taking and maintaining power. Just having a claim is enough to contest for the throne and then after that it's how much support you can grab from nobles and the 'small folk'.

Pocks

Has the line about madness and greatness being two sides of the same coin been said in the show? There are two posters discussing it in the non-book readers thread.

[ASOS]
It is Selmy who relays the story after conquerring Mereen: "... madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

kirblar

ASOS
assuming they go the leeches route
ASOS
Given that they've avoided blatant propecy (a good translation choice) I'm not expecting that scene. I thought Stannis's "I want them dead!" line from earlier in the season was as close as we'd get.

Eidan

Has the line about madness and greatness being two sides of the same coin been said in the show? There are two posters discussing it in the non-book readers thread.

[ASOS]
It is Selmy who relays the story after conquerring Mereen: "... madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

Nope.

Trasher

I'm pretty sure Jorah has said at least a little something that's touched on the idea that she has the kind heart that Rhaegar had. I want to say it's in the second season...although it might be in the first.

Eidan

I'm pretty sure Jorah has said at least a little something that's touched on the idea that she has the kind heart that Rhaegar had. I want to say it's in the second season...although it might be in the first.

Jorah has discussed Rhaegar with Dany, but the coin line has never come up.

Hystzen

[ASOS]

I think the line was given to either Cersei or Jaime in season 2 can't remember but sure it was mentioned

Speevy

Banned
I didn't let it bother me too much when I first saw the episode, but I absolutely hated the Beric Dondarrion speech.

It's like he had been waiting in a cave for the moment when someone would tell him that he was fighting for ghosts.

His delivery of that speech is so hokey.

iamblades

Series
A child of Robb's could potentially be used to stake a claim on the North. The North is important. You have the Bolton's laying claim. You have Littlefinger plotting a claim with Sansa, Kings Landing is send "Arya" to the north to help secure the Bolton's claim.

I don't think it's going to happen since it's implied pretty heavily in AFFC that her mother has made sure she isn't pregnant (probably gave her a bunch of moon tea to be sure). Jeyne on her own is meaningless I think. I can't see her being important to the story going forward unless there is a child.

I know the implications of what could happen if that theory were correct, but it is just not going to happen.
An infant son we have never seen or even really been led to believe actually exists will not end up being a major claimant to the North. I've seen no evidence that the northmen would trust Robb's wife enough to believe that the child is actually Robb's heir.

exYle

[ASOS]

Haha, I'm glad someone covered my ass with that scene posted above. I knew for a fact that someone said that line in the show, but I must've got confused between the book's line and the show's line.

I'll admit that I browse the non-book spoiler thread. I know that's a little scummy but I really adore reading discussion about the show. I've posted in there less than five times and it's only to answer tangential questions that specifically do not spoil anything in the books so far, I swear. If you like, I could retrieve the posts I made. And if I'm expressly forbidden from posting in there again, I understand. (The two posts I remember making were in regards to Master Aemon's age, and the fact that Theon told the mystery boy that the two Stark boys were still alive).

Pocks

Haha, I'm glad someone covered my ass with that scene posted above. I knew for a fact that someone said that line in the show, but I must've got confused between the book's line and the show's line.

I'll admit that I browse the non-book spoiler thread. I know that's a little scummy but I really adore reading discussion about the show. I've posted in there less than five times and it's only to answer tangential questions that specifically do not spoil anything in the books so far, I swear. If you like, I could retrieve the posts I made. And if I'm expressly forbidden from posting in there again, I understand. (The two posts I remember making were in regards to Master Aemon's age, and the fact that Theon told the mystery boy that the two Stark boys were still alive).

Nah, you're fine. I just couldn't remember if it was said or not, so I thought I'd check here.

Blatz

Rewatched S03E04 last night and had to post this:

tumblr_mlnfc0yv8l1qjqyqgo1_250.gif

Missandei's look toward Kraznys is priceless. Another great casting job.

Varys in this episode was outstanding also.

Ark

Varys in this episode was outstanding also.

I honestly feel that Conleth Hill is one of the best actors on the show. Game of Thrones was the only thing I'd ever seen him in, but he's been in Suits since then and was fantastic in that.

Macmanus

I honestly feel that Conleth Hill is one of the best actors on the show. Game of Thrones was the only thing I'd ever seen him in, but he's been in Suits since then and was fantastic in that.

Hill and Dance murder every scene they're in.

Trasher

Is he bald in that too?!

I can't imagine him any other way haha.

wildfire

Banned
There is no amount of Professionally lighthning and Photoshopery can make this woman look good.

Let me explain to you
* face features all out of proportion. Chin too tiny, nose too long, too close to mouth etc etc
* Not a sweet face. She look old,like 28-30, and she act even older, like a 35 old woman. I haven't checked imdb but I wouldn't be surprised if she is 35.
* Wrong actress for the part. Margaery is supposed to be a a very innocent and young maiden, at least from the outside. She look all kind of calculating and manipulating just from her neck up. This severely undermind that "surprise" thing and also the incoming conflict between her and Cersei.

edit: this is supposed to be a cheese cake Equire Magazine shoot? And she still can't smile properly.

I don't care if this 3 days old. Dude.

Your nuts or legally blind.

Yep. One of the best casting jobs the show has done. Sean Bean and Mark Addy were great for season one too.

Helmholtz

Yeah, as book readers Varys is my (and my brother's) favorite actor on the show. He is absolutely perfect for the role.
Other actors I feel are perfect or near perfect off the top of my head: Tywin, Tyrion, Bronn, Joffrey, the first Gregor Clegane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom