• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

Also, I get to drink the tears of non-book readers.

Hell, why not do both. I love the tears of book readers even more.

The train of thought in my head when I browse ASOIAF book threads: Shit, you read a fantasy book, and the tv adaptation is different? Oh whoopty-doo! Read some more books and get a grip.

Big-E

Hell, why not do both. I love the tears of book readers even more.

The train of thought in my head when I browse ASOIAF book threads: Shit, you read a fantasy book, and the tv adaptation is different? Oh whoopty-doo! Read some more books and get a grip.

It is getting really tiring hearing this shit. Just because it is an adaptation doesn't mean it is against criticism. People in here never get pissed off with every change just because it is a change, people get sometimes pissed off because they feel the book did a far better job than the show. Jon Snow being mishandled is a legitimate complaint and simply saying to shut up because it is an adaptation is the stuff arguments in 5th grade are made of.

Kadayi

Banned
Just because it can be justified doesn't put it beyond criticism.

True, but at the same time any criticism should be measured against what is achievable for a television show, taking account of the costs of location filming, building and maintaining sets as well as casting and retaining actors (especially those with minor roles) as well as time limits, balanced against ensuring a digestible narrative for an audience that principally will not be familiar with the books.

As a book reader I do a little fist bump with my friends whenever they deliver a particularly great book story beat, but I don't sweat it if they drop the small stuff, and overall I'm enjoying the additional content and characters. The rise of Ros from Winterfell harlot to Littlefingers right hand is hard to take seriously for sure, but essentially the character serves as a foil and sounding board for other characters to work off of to reveal their motivations to the audience.

ZeroRay

Ygrettte mmm...

Oh and this pic response in the thread adequately summaries the
Stannis thing
:

W8Mpe5U.png

ZeroRay

^ Regarding the above. Major show spoilers.

Now that I think about it, it could be a bunch of Stannis's sons who died during stillbirth and as infants. Selyse just saved them in jars cause the writers want her to look like a crazy ass bitch.

Basically, not as bad as we're freaking out about.

Kadayi

Banned
saw the pictures

what the fucking fuck at the Stannis thing
that's fucking bullshit

I'm thinking...

Maybe that's his wife and she's keeping all her still borns perhaps (cos she is kind of a mess in the books), because that's not Mellisandre as far as I can tell

Anyhows reserving judgement till its aired.

Edit. Ninjad by Zeroray. But same thoughts tbh.

iamblades

Sweet sweet Ygritte.

Also... wut. What are they doing to Stannis.

I imagine that's just a fucking hamhanded way of explaining Stannis and his wife's backstory, but holy fuck is that a bad way to do it.

I know the first rule in TV writing is 'show don't tell' but do we really need to show that? You are damaging characterization when you could just toss in a couple lines of expository dialog and be good to go. Making characters look like creepy wierdos just so you can not violate some BS 'rule' on how to write shows is not really a good thing.

Now that I think about it, it could be a bunch of Stannis's sons who died during stillbirth and as infants. Selyse just saved them in jars cause the writers want her to look like a crazy ass bitch.

Yeah that's what it seems like. Still expecting some massive meltdowns over the next week though

Trasher

Basically, not as bad as we're freaking out about.

I don't get it. What else were you thinking it was before you thought of that scenario? That was the first and only thing I could think of when I saw it.

Trasher

My initial thought was (leaked images)
3 fetuses possibly going to be burned as a sacrifice instead of 3 leeches

That would make sense.
But I thought Melisandre just left Stannis at Dragonstone to go, presumably, find Gendry. If they are gonna use these fetuses for her kingsblood magic stuff, then why did she leave?

That would make sense.
But I thought Melisandre just left Stannis at Dragonstone to go, presumably, find Gendry. If they are gonna use these fetuses for her kingsblood magic stuff, then why did she leave?

From some of the trailers
It looked like she was gonna bang Gendry for some reason. But I don't know why. Presumably to make another shadow baby but for what purpose?

Trasher

From some of the trailers
It looked like she was gonna bang Gendry for some reason. But I don't know why. Presumably to make another shadow baby but for what purpose?

Hmmm I don't remember that part in any of the trailers. If that's true...then wtf. lol

Series I guess:
I still can't really figure out where Melisandre is gonna link up with Gendry. Right after Hound/Beric and Arya splits off from the BWB? That makes sense I guess since Gendry just chills with them once Arya bails. But I suppose that would mean he doesn't stay with those kids when we see him later on in that inn when Brienne stumbles upon them (unless my memory is mistaken). Will Gendry go to the wall when Mel/Stannis go? This is gonna get interesting...

Yonafunu

My initial thought was (leaked images)
3 fetuses possibly going to be burned as a sacrifice instead of 3 leeches

I think it's just (leaked pics)
Selyse being a crazy bitch. It's definitely possible that they'll use this to replace the leeches though, with Selyse performing the ritual instead of Melisandre.
That would be weird.

Hmmm I don't remember that part in any of the trailers. If that's true...then wtf. lol

Series I guess:
I still can't really figure out where Melisandre is gonna link up with Gendry. Right after Hound/Beric and Arya splits off from the BWB? That makes sense I guess since Gendry just chills with them once Arya bails. But I suppose that would mean he doesn't stay with those kids when we see him later on in that inn when Brienne stumbles upon them (unless my memory is mistaken). Will Gendry go to the wall when Mel/Stannis go? This is gonna get interesting...

There were shots in the trailer
with Melisandre talking to Gendry, and they were both naked. So she'll probably try to make another shadow baby.

As far as being a book purist vs just enjoying the adaptation, I have to say that I am disappointed in some changes but the only thing that I am actually upset about is how they have handled Jon Snow. Book 3 Spoilers:
By this time in the books you see Jon as intelligent, brave, and a competent leader who learns from his mistakes. When he is elected Lord Commander, the only thing that seems strange is the fact that he is so young. It makes sense that he take that role based on where they are story-wise. Is there anybody who thinks non-readers are going to buy the show's Jon Snow getting elected as the next Lord Commander? He always looks like he is totally confused as to what is going on around him, and barely ever says half a line. I know its mean, but to me the actor who plays him just plain looks like he's not smart. He has that lazy, half-closed look in his eyes at all times, and of course his mouth is usually hanging open. Couple that with giving him maybe one line per scene (usually involving him saying something that somebody else then calls out as stupid or wrong) and you get a dull character.

Spot on.

ASOS/ADWD
Even in the books I never bought him as a leader at this point. He's good with a sword, but outisde helping his brothers in training, he's never a leader. For me, his leadership wasn't really established until he lead the defense of The Wall, and I think the show will do fine with that. Even then, it was still a little odd. The he cuts off Slynt's head and its believable.

I think that might be my favorite chapter in the entire series.

Pkaz01

I think it's just (leaked pics)
Selyse being a crazy bitch. It's definitely possible that they'll use this to replace the leeches though, with Selyse performing the ritual instead of Melisandre.
That would be weird.

There were shots in the trailer
with Melisandre talking to Gendry, and they were both naked. So she'll probably try to make another shadow baby.

ASOS
I don't think Mel was naked it was just Gendry and he is probably replacing Edric Storm, I expect him to join up with the brotherhood before arya bails and stay with them. Thoros or Beric will probably tell Mel to fuck off and leave Gendry alone instead of Davos

Massa

I haven't seen that, except maybe the complaints about Willas. Just because you disagree doesn't mean they're being ignorant.

I've read that interview and I was unimpressed by his justifications. He even flat-out admitted that being more faithful to the book on a particular arc would "probably have worked just as well on screen", meaning that they decided to change it for completely arbitrary reasons just because they felt like it, not due to constraints of the media. And he even apologises about Ros, saying "eh, I like her, sorry if you don't". Basically tacitly admitting she's their pet fanfiction.

Oh my god. You think the critics don't know that?? Why would you think they don't know that things must be cut? Serious question, do you really, sincerely believe that those who criticise the show are not aware of the constraints of the TV format? Come on, it's one thing to disagree over whether or not a scene was good, but that's just insulting.

I most definitely do not ignore the realities of the TV format and I'm completely aware that things must be cut. That's why you don't see me bitch about them cutting Willas or removing Tyrion's chain for budget reasons. Jesus...
Every single criticism I've had towards the show had nothing, and I do mean nothing to do with natural constraints from the format. None. I can guarantee you that. Because I'm not retarded.

Funny, because you pretty much said the exact opposite right here: "Every complaint from book readers about how the show is managing time is bullshit. Every single one.". So, we can criticize the show based on what they cut or kept, except when we do, it's always bullshit, always, every single time? Nice one.

I think you're missing my point Morrigan.

"They butchered the Jon storyline because of this, this and that" is a perfectly valid complaint.

"Oh my god how dare they do a useless 2 minutes on that when the show is missing my favorite passage from that other character!" is one that gets old fast. Every scene that gets knocked for that reason is in the show for some reason, and those type of critics always seem to ignore that. Whether it's to add some levity to the show like the Pod scene, or even when it's painstakingly obvious like the scene with Cat showing her inner thoughts and the guilt she feels over the fate of her family. It's very important for that character that the audience knows this, but the people that already know (from reading several chapters from her POV) seem to ignore it. That is a perfect example of what I mean.

And I'm not saying you can't knock those scenes, you may think the Pod joke went on for too long and stopped being funny or the Cat scene (sorry can't think of examples to knock it). My only problem is when people criticize scenes for *existing* while ignoring why they exist in the first place.

Anyway, sorry for waking the dragon. ;) I don't think there's anything else I can say on the subject.

bengraven

I think that is just a weakness of the sourse material. GRRM seems to ony be able to write about intense misery.

Are you kidding me? You must not have read Joe Abercrombie's books. Or the Malazan books. Or Glenn Cook.

George is softer than all of them.

Jesus if this was Joe Abercrombie then Tyrion would have likely lost an entire arm, been tortured by his own dad, then Shae would have poisoned his drink once he got free.

I think the books have much more light hearted ness during many scenes, but the show is doing that well with the comedic parts.

Levi

Banned
Edited: sarcasm detector failed.

To the above poster who thinks George can only wrote dark stuff, um, maybe read more than just one of his series before you generalize. There's a lot more to him than ASOIAF.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can't wait for tomorrow night (Sky Atlantic in UK for me). Hope the episode continues the amazing roll this season is on.

Anyone got a link to the Ygritte/Selyse spoilers? That 4chan link is down
Edit- Oh I found it, here's the link

There be a shit storm coming

Whaaaaaaat?

[ASoS/Show speculation]
I guess they can use those stillborn babies for the leeches, but its just a very sci fi image to have on a very medieval looking show. That screen just looks very out of place visually. It just looks really bizarre and not fitting in with anything else we've seen on the show at all. Medieval test tube babies? Meh.

I know Selyse is a religious nut in the books but I dunno... I don't necessarily like how they're making all followers of R'hllor look like complete crazies. In the books at least, Beric and Throros seemed more low key about it, so I'll be curious to see how the show has them interact with Melisandre, if they do.

Especially depending on how they have Stanniss react to that. The show has pretty well bungled Stannis as a character for a while now, but in the books he never struck me as a real believer in R'hllor except as a means to an end. The show seems to be lumping him into being just a crazy religious nut.

Dysun

I'm anticipating alot of negative reactions even though I personally don't mind alterations to nigh-irrelevant characters.

It's better than a mustache!

Let's see where they go with this, they might make her the locked up in a tower bat-shit crazy person instead of the arrogant cold hairy religious zealot

Snake

The weird thing is I can almost swear I've seen that exact image before, months back.

edit: season 2: "ew Stannis, why are you trying to get with the woman who births smoke monsters, instead of your wife?"
season 3: "oh ok."

Vashetti

Banned
Hello, non-book reader here.

Hit new reply straight away to avoid spoilers.

I don't want any details but can anyone give me a straight yes or no over whether Arya's story will get any better/more exposure in the rest of Season 3?

She's had two-three minute segments every episode and its jarring coming from Season 2 where she had far more focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom