• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

They've done a great job on casting, definitely. The only real complaints I have are insignificant little things, like Mark Addy being too short, and stuff like that. The actors should be commended as well, of course. I mean, Jack Gleeson looks nothing like the Joffrey I imagined, but he plays him so well I completely forget about that.

That said, I initially really didn't like the casting they did for Beric, but we'll see how that goes.
Daario
looks completely ruined though.

Ark

They've done a great job on casting, definitely. The only real complaints I have are insignificant little things, like Mark Addy being too short, and stuff like that. The actors should be commended as well, of course. I mean, Jack Gleeson looks nothing like the Joffrey I imagined, but he plays him so well I completely forget about that.

That said, I initially really didn't like the casting they did for Beric, but we'll see how that goes.
Daario
looks completely ruined though.

I have to agree on
Daario. I can understand why they would change him a little from the book, but he barely looks anything like book-Daario.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You know, one thing that becomes more and more apparent as you go on... particular if you watch the TV show... this world is a terrible place to live.

I mean, really. It sucks. There's no middle class. The "citizens" are portrayed as destitute, poor in every scene, beggers. The farmers live in mud, blood and fear. The solider just die and rot all the time. You sleep with your own family for sex, or hookers. Barely anyone is happily married, or in love, and if they are, they die. The lords just whore and kill each other, and no one seems to care about their subjects or bannerman. No one has festivals or dance parties. Everyone else is a slave. I mean, wtf? No one has any fun.

What are they all fighting for, anyway? We haven't even had any fun ballroom scenes at court, or even a reason people STAY at court. We haven't had any jolly good time scenes since S1, E1. It's really rather depressing, if you think about it.

You know, one thing that becomes more and more apparent as you go on... particular if you watch the TV show... this world is a terrible place to live.

I mean, really. It sucks. There's no middle class. The "citizens" are portrayed as destitute, poor in every scene, beggers. The farmers live in mud, blood and fear. The solider just die and rot all the time. You sleep with your own family for sex, or hookers. Barely anyone is happily married, or in love, and if they are, they die. The lords just whore and kill each other, and no one seems to care about their subjects or bannerman. No one has festivals or dance parties. Everyone else is a slave. I mean, wtf? No one has any fun.

What are they all fighting for, anyway? We haven't even had any fun ballroom scenes at court, or even a reason people STAY at court. We haven't had any jolly good time scenes since S1, E1. It's really rather depressing, if you think about it.

ASOS:
One of the things that haunted me the most about the red wedding was not actually that Catelyn and Robb were killed, but that thousands were burnt alive in the tents outside The Twins.

The parallels to the Middle Ages are great. What we consider 'normal' in society, like all that you mentioned, is a relatively recent idea.

All they are really fighting for is, well, power. Nothing more.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The parallels to the Middle Ages are great. What we consider 'normal' in society, like all that you mentioned, is a relatively recent idea.

All they are really fighting for is, well, power. Nothing more.

Yea. I'm not saying it isn't a "realistic portrayal" of what we understand to have been what life was like in the middle/dark ages... but c'mon. throw us a bone. Let's get a few happy scenes in there to get us motivated. Everything has been depressing for so long. We haven't even had a tournament in 2 seasons!

I thought that scene when Joffery and Margery were waving to their subjects incredibly pathetic. The whole crowd looked like beat down beggers and slaves.

At least show us a kingdom worth saving.

brentech

Watching Doctor Who recent episode 'cold war'. like a minute in and actors who play Davos and (I think) the guy who plays Edmure Tully both in this.

cj_iwakura

ASOS:
One of the things that haunted me the most about the red wedding was not actually that Catelyn and Robb were killed, but that thousands were burnt alive in the tents outside The Twins.

ASOS:

I wonder how much of that chaos the show is going to depict. It'll make Ned's death look like a song.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ok thanks. I wanted to post the spoiler tag, then post a quote inside it, but that didn't work.

Where's that Firefox mod that adds the spoiler button to the editor? I found that useful but for some reason it disappeared...
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/50489

Watching Doctor Who recent episode 'cold war'. like a minute in and actors who play Davos and (I think) the guy who plays Edmure Tully both in this.
Here are a few others from older episodes.

http://wicnet.tumblr.com/post/47906491448/targaryenbastard-doctor-who-x-game-of-thrones

Thanks but no luck. I re-installed Greasemonkey (I was sure I had it before too, but I reinstalled just in case), restarted Firefox, and when I click "install" I still get taken to a text page showing the JS source instead of a prompt to install... :(

Make sure your greasemonkey thing is actually enabled. I had this problem last month. Spent weeks trying to figure out why my conquerclub script wasnt working and eventually finally realized that greasemonkey scripts were just completely disabled

Icon should be top right of the firefox window by default unless it's hidden

Levi

Banned
I agree that Daario doesn't look like he does in the book, but as long as the actor can portray Daario's bragadaccio I'll be pleased.

And he better have the sword hilts! Those are important!

#teamdaario

ZeroRay

Daario had swag before swag was even a thing.

ASOS/ADWD
Literally, "A certain swagger" is what made Dany go all gaga for him. Also, Tyrion's fake name was Yollo lol.

Well, Roman plebs found time to have fun. Sure they probably had shitty lives, but, at least Roman plebs were probably better off. Maybe it's just me but these people look more like Barbarians then even the Barbarians that attacked Rome.

I've actually made a criticism about this show in the past that I think is still weird. Almost every single scene in the series is something dark or very serious happening. Everyone having serious conversations with layers of subtext all the time.

They need more shooting the shit scenes, people enjoying life scenes, having fun. But I guess I understand on the show considering how much material they have to get to there is no time for the in between stuff. Gotta hit the plot points.

Eidan

I've actually made a criticism about this show in the past that I think is still weird. Almost every single scene in the series is something dark or very serious happening. Everyone having serious conversations with layers of subtext all the time.

They need more shooting the shit scenes, people enjoying life scenes, having fun. But I guess I understand on the show considering how much material they have to get to there is no time for the in between stuff. Gotta hit the plot points.

Which is why the Pod scenes this season have been great.

Yeah, the early middle ages sucked pretty bad. Even in Rome the pleb could still had a chance of escaping poverty, they at least had food and water and an apartment or they could join the army and in a few years who knows they'll come home with a large amount of cash and a farm and life will be good.

Later middle ages, the quality of life improved as well. It does get better.

Dysun

Whenever they do a happy/light-hearted scene you get a million complaints about how Podrick wasted 2 minutes of an episode.

Helmholtz

I dunno though. The books don't have much of that stuff either. It's pretty serious/dark stuff for the most part. I'd say the show probably has a lot more of that sort of thing actually, like giving Bronn more comedic relief scenes, the stuff with Podrick. I think they're making some sort of effort.

can someone explain to me the whole theon greyjoy scene? wtf
Assuming you have not read the book ADWD
Ramsy Bolton is a demented/crazy/fucked up person, he enjoys letting his prisoner escapes so he can hunt them down. I think it was mention in the book how he let theon escape with some girl and he caught them, skinned her alive infront of theon. It's the mental breakdown of theon into reek

At least show us a kingdom worth saving.

[SERIES]
I think that is GRRM's intent, the groups of people fighting for power are literally fighting over a ruined, destroyed, desolate kingdom/peoples. Or they will be soon. Winter is starting to settle in, the North of the Wall has pretty much gone to waste, South of the wall, the North is in ruins. What's left of the Bolten force and Stannis' force will probably end up dying due to starvation/cold. The only kings/queens left since the beginning of the war are Stannis and Dany.

I don't think we're supposed to see a kingdom worth saving at all. Ignoring the needs of the commoners for the needs of themselves, those seeking the power have all but destroyed what they have been fighting over and for...

at least IMO. I could be off base, but it's how I see it.

Ark

As others have said, there are very few 'fun' scenes, like the feast at Winterfell, that actually remain fun and light-hearted throughout. GRRM doesn't seem to like writing about those kinds of things. He's far too busy snatching characters away from their story arc and throwing them into some miserable dilemma.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whenever they do a happy/light-hearted scene you get a million complaints about how Podrick wasted 2 minutes of an episode.

Yeah, those pesky book readers get on my nerves. I'd gladly take another 5 minute long scene fleshing out the riveting character of Podrick Payne over yet another scene focusing on the dreadfully boring Tyrion, Arya, Margaery, Varys, Olenna, Robb, Bran, Jon, Sansa, Davos, Theon, Daenerys, Jamie, or Littlefinger. Those characters have had their time in the sun - it's Pod's time to shine! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out more about Pod's fat pink mast in tomorrow's episode. I hope they don't waste any time on anything relevant.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, those pesky book readers get on my nerves. I'd gladly take another 5 minute long scene fleshing out the riveting character of Podrick Payne over yet another scene focusing on the dreadfully boring Tyrion, Arya, Margaery, Varys, Olenna, Robb, Bran, Jon, Sansa, Davos, Theon, Daenerys, Jamie, or Littlefinger. Those characters have had their time in the sun - it's Pod's time to shine! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out more about Pod's fat pink mast in tomorrow's episode. I hope they don't waste any time on anything relevant.

Wah wah purist it's an adaptation they can do whatever they want STFU hater purist nerd

I understand book purist complaints for the first three books. They are set out for a great tv series if they followed the character arcs fairly closely. Too bad arya and Jon kinda suck in the show though IMO, didn't like how many things were handled in the program regarding those two

But the last two books suck so bad that I think major deviations will be required for seasons 5 onward

RaidenZR

Every complaint from book readers about how the show is managing time is bullshit. Every single one.

Really? I'm a book reader, and I see these generalizations flung around all the time. Despite people dwelling on the negatives that some of the book readers type out here, I often post compliments when I feel they resonate. I enjoyed the Podrick/brothel stuff if you want to be specific about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53945991&postcount=2760

Pkaz01

Is Podrick the new Ros? Too bad Ros wasn't bad enough now we have to hear Ros talk about Podrick.

I hear you like Podrick and Ros so I put a Podrick in your Ros

Massa

opinions lol

The problem is that these opinions come from ignorance more often than not. People ignore what a TV viewer knows about the series, world and characters and project what they know about it after reading thousands of page. The answer from that interview with a show writer to the Ros question sums it up pretty well imo, as it outlines how some of the most heavily criticized scenes by book fanatics were important in setting up critical plot points and characters for the TV audience.

These posts also ignore the realities of the TV format that requires them to move and shuffle things around and also - yes - cut things. And production issues that requires them to cut or add content. There are a lot of reasons for cutting or reducing the importance of certain plot points that go beyond "well, we didn't have 2 minutes for that".

Really? I'm a book reader, and I see these generalizations flung around all the time. Despite people dwelling on the negatives that some of the book readers type out here, I often post compliments when I feel they resonate. I enjoyed the Podrick/brothel stuff if you want to be specific about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53945991&postcount=2760

Yes I realize that I'm generalizing. Please note though that I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize the show - there's definitely a lot to say, even on their choices of what they cut or kept from the source material.

I just think it's beyond silly to use that particular argument - of weighing each scene in the book by importance and deciding that's what should end up on TV. That's not how you make good TV.

RaidenZR

Yes I realize that I'm generalizing. Please note though that I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize the show - there's definitely a lot to say, even on their choices of what they cut or kept from the source material.

I just think it's beyond silly to use that particular argument - of weighing each scene in the book by importance and deciding that's what should end up on TV. That's not how you make good TV.

Not sure what you mean. It's pretty common that people post reactions to the episodes based on the scenes that stick out when the latest has freshly aired.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The problem is that these opinions come from ignorance more often than not.
I haven't seen that, except maybe the complaints about Willas. Just because you disagree doesn't mean they're being ignorant.

People ignore what a TV viewer knows about the series, world and characters and project what they know about it after reading thousands of page. The answer from that interview with a show writer to the Ros question sums it up pretty well imo, as it outlines how some of the most heavily criticized scenes by book fanatics were important in setting up critical plot points and characters for the TV audience.
I've read that interview and I was unimpressed by his justifications. He even flat-out admitted that being more faithful to the book on a particular arc would "probably have worked just as well on screen", meaning that they decided to change it for completely arbitrary reasons just because they felt like it, not due to constraints of the media. And he even apologises about Ros, saying "eh, I like her, sorry if you don't". Basically tacitly admitting she's their pet fanfiction.

These posts also ignore the realities of the TV format that requires them to move and shuffle things around and also - yes - cut things. And production issues that requires them to cut or add content. There are a lot of reasons for cutting or reducing the importance of certain plot points that go beyond "well, we didn't have 2 minutes for that".
Oh my god. You think the critics don't know that?? Why would you think they don't know that things must be cut? Serious question, do you really, sincerely believe that those who criticise the show are not aware of the constraints of the TV format? Come on, it's one thing to disagree over whether or not a scene was good, but that's just insulting.

I most definitely do not ignore the realities of the TV format and I'm completely aware that things must be cut. That's why you don't see me bitch about them cutting Willas or removing Tyrion's chain for budget reasons. Jesus...
Every single criticism I've had towards the show had nothing, and I do mean nothing to do with natural constraints from the format. None. I can guarantee you that. Because I'm not retarded.

Funny, because you pretty much said the exact opposite right here: "Every complaint from book readers about how the show is managing time is bullshit. Every single one.". So, we can criticize the show based on what they cut or kept, except when we do, it's always bullshit, always, every single time? Nice one.

RaidenZR

And he even apologises about Ros, saying "eh, I like her, sorry if you don't". Basically tacitly admitting she's their pet fanfiction.

Even though it's never been publicly articulated all that well, I think it's clear that Ros serves as a delivery device for a number of things. Things that they haven't been able to elegantly integrate into the surrounding characters' dialogue and scenarios. Exposition, background info, streamlining character counts, nudity, etc... Jokes aside, if HBO is indeed mandating or encouraging the GoT crew to make good on some saucy/nudity quota per season, well that's still something they need to produce on-screen. Ros was sometimes a delivery mechanism for that.

Personally, I've never been all that bothered by her, and even though I can understand where detractors of her role are coming from, I've always thought there's been intense overreaction in regards to her screentime.

I guess I'm saying that I don't mind the idea of who the character is supposed to be and how she is involved in the greater scheme, but yes, their execution is a little bit too transparent sometimes.

Just because it can be justified doesn't put it beyond criticism.

Unless you're a book reader!

I am just happy to see one of my favorite book series played out by amazing actors. I was disappointed about the peach, but not to the point of being upset about it. Also, I get to drink the tears of non-book readers.

Calamari41

41 > 38
As far as being a book purist vs just enjoying the adaptation, I have to say that I am disappointed in some changes but the only thing that I am actually upset about is how they have handled Jon Snow. Book 3 Spoilers:
By this time in the books you see Jon as intelligent, brave, and a competent leader who learns from his mistakes. When he is elected Lord Commander, the only thing that seems strange is the fact that he is so young. It makes sense that he take that role based on where they are story-wise. Is there anybody who thinks non-readers are going to buy the show's Jon Snow getting elected as the next Lord Commander? He always looks like he is totally confused as to what is going on around him, and barely ever says half a line. I know its mean, but to me the actor who plays him just plain looks like he's not smart. He has that lazy, half-closed look in his eyes at all times, and of course his mouth is usually hanging open. Couple that with giving him maybe one line per scene (usually involving him saying something that somebody else then calls out as stupid or wrong) and you get a dull character.

iamblades

As far as being a book purist vs just enjoying the adaptation, I have to say that I am disappointed in some changes but the only thing that I am actually upset about is how they have handled Jon Snow. Book 3 Spoilers:
By this time in the books you see Jon as intelligent, brave, and a competent leader who learns from his mistakes. When he is elected Lord Commander, the only thing that seems strange is the fact that he is so young. It makes sense that he take that role based on where they are story-wise. Is there anybody who thinks non-readers are going to buy the show's Jon Snow getting elected as the next Lord Commander? He always looks like he is totally confused as to what is going on around him, and barely ever says half a line. I know its mean, but to me the actor who plays him just plain looks like he's not smart. He has that lazy, half-closed look in his eyes at all times, and of course his mouth is usually hanging open. Couple that with giving him maybe one line per scene (usually involving him saying something that somebody else then calls out as stupid or wrong) and you get a dull character.

^^

I think everyone is in agreement that Jon is the one character they have fucked up the most.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

ASOS/ADWD
Even in the books I never bought him as a leader at this point. He's good with a sword, but outisde helping his brothers in training, he's never a leader. For me, his leadership wasn't really established until he lead the defense of The Wall, and I think the show will do fine with that. Even then, it was still a little odd. The he cuts off Slynt's head and its believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom