• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Hello, non-book reader here.

Hit new reply straight away to avoid spoilers.

I don't want any details but can anyone give me a straight yes or no over whether Arya's story will get any better/more exposure in the rest of Season 3?

She's had two-three minute segments every episode and its jarring coming from Season 2 where she had far more focus.

[ASOS/Seasons 3 & 4, mild]
Yes. Lots more, especially into Season 4.

The forthcoming episode involves her a lot as well.

I don't want any details but can anyone give me a straight yes or no over whether Arya's story will get any better/more exposure in the rest of Season 3?

She's had two-three minute segments every episode and its jarring coming from Season 2 where she had far more focus.

More stuff happens to her in book 3. I don't know how much will be shown in Season 3 and how much they'll save for Season 4, though.

Snake

Yes.

Theoretically.

Hystzen

*looks at spoiler picture*

Can they fuck up the Stannis plot line's anymore I mean geez you already fucked up his character completely let's change every plot around him

Ugh I enjoy the show but the handling of Stannis is getting laughable

(maybe I'm just salty as I'm a Stannis Fanboy)

And my favourite king is Stannis. :( Wish they'd treat him with the respect he generates in the books (in terms of him being a consistent character in how his honour and demand for justice drives him).

Ugh I enjoy the show but the handling of Stannis is getting laughable

(maybe I'm just salty as I'm a Stannis Fanboy)

I agree. Its kind of funny though since they nailed Stannis as a character with the first scene he was in last season with the letter. But they're kind of going all over the place now.

Series Spoilers
I hope they can get back on track with Stannis, since he is the king that ends up sticking around the longest so far in the books.

Lkr

so tonight is only episode 5? aren't they moving a bit fast for two seasons?

btw is tonight's title because we are going to see some sweet sweet ygritte?

third edit, where can i find these pics?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
True, but at the same time any criticism should be measured against what is achievable for a television show, taking account of the costs of location filming, building and maintaining sets as well as casting and retaining actors (especially those with minor roles) as well as time limits, balanced against ensuring a digestible narrative for an audience that principally will not be familiar with the books.
I always take all of that into account. I'm not stupid.

HAHAHAHA.
I am going to use this the next time she gets angry
Ahem:
Let's not post like this.
You guys first. ;)

I don't mind when the show deviates from the book, but I do mind when it tells an overall worse story for no apparent reason. Jon Snow's story was much worse in the second season because they basically took out all the suspense and butched Qhorin Halfhald. Also, Arya's story was worse in season 2 because they took out the harshness of her time at Harrenhal and the amazing things she did.

I certainly don't mind having more Tywin in the show since Charles Dance steals every scene he's in. Still, having Arya talk with Tywin was pretty pointless when there were more important plot points to tell. And both Arya and Jon's stories removed a lot of the tension that made their POVs so interesting in the books.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The problem with all those kinds of arguments is that using the terms "worse," "butchered," etc. is inherently comparing the show to the book. It was never possible that this show was going to match the quality of the books, and I think you'd find the showrunners had good reasons for most of the changes they had to make. So I'm not really very interested in comparing the two media endlessly, and I think it's a waste of time to do it. So, to me, saying "Arya's story in season 2 was worse" is not a very meaningful criticism of a television show.

Criticisms that make sense to me would be more absolute. e.g. "the show feels unfocused/needs a bigger budget," "Arya's/Jon's story is uninteresting," etc. But I think show-only viewers would disagree that those characters' stories are bad. That they're inferior to the books is obvious enough. Almost everything on the show is.

Eidan

Are we back on "Stannis has been ruined"? Someone help me out here. How has the show screwed up Stannis? I thought most people were in agreement that the Dragonstone crew had been adapted well, but it seems like with one scene where some felt that he fawned over Melisandre, and one picture where none of us know what's going on, the character is considered completely fucked up.

I don't get it.

Pkaz01

Yea those stannis changes dont really bother me too much at this point they are trying to make him mote interesting.

Asos
he is boring until the end of this book anyway only other interesting scene is the leeches which will probably be tonight.

Also, I agree with the people that are saying they are making the lord of light followers all look insane.
Entire series
they cant do this to the brotherhood especially beric who in the books seemed more agnostic to me and thoros never even made a sacrifice to r'hllor from what we saw they need to establish that they arent all insane

Moff

Anyone got a link to the Ygritte/Selyse spoilers? That 4chan link is down
Edit- Oh I found it, here's the link

There be a shit storm coming

I seem to be in the minority when I think that looks pretty amazing.
I didnt think the stannis/melisandre story in ASOS needs any kind of tune up, but I am always in favor of some sick stuff, and I dont see how this would change anything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And I'm not saying you can't knock those scenes, you may think the Pod joke went on for too long and stopped being funny. My only problem is when people criticize scenes for *existing* while ignoring why they exist in the first place.

The first Pod scene served to fill the gratuitous nudity quotient. Seeing Pod in a room filled with naked prostitutes doesn't add anything to the narrative, it doesn't shed any light on Westerosi culture, it doesn't add any dimension to the characters that matter. The scene existed solely to titillate - we didn't even get any sexposition!

The second scene built off the first to provide a bit of levity to an otherwise grim series, sure, but #1. I didn't think the scene was funny in the slightest and #2. there are a myriad of other ways they could have added levity to the show.

I understand the thrust of Pod's scenes - titillation and levity. Every show on HBO needs to have those things. It's the delivery method that I have a problem with.

To me the Pod scenes are all about making him a memorable character. A great many people who watch this show don't know who a lot of the characters are for whatever reason (not paying enough attention, short memory, not rewatching every season etc.) and those casual viewers have to be taken into account.

Like, there are people who watch this show who don't know who the fuck Roose Bolton is, so how are they gonna know who Pod is when (ASOS)
he eventually becomes slightly more important later on. After those three scenes though, nobody will forget who Pod is.

I certainly would prefer that they don't write for the lowest common denominators like this. But I liked the Pod scenes. They were funny. The Bronn/Pod/Tyrion scene where they crowd around him was one of the only moments in the entire show to make me laugh so far. I thought it was great.

The problem with all those kinds of arguments is that using the terms "worse," "butchered," etc. is inherently comparing the show to the book. It was never possible that this show was going to match the quality of the books, and I think you'd find the showrunners had good reasons for most of the changes they had to make. So I'm not really very interested in comparing the two media endlessly, and I think it's a waste of time to do it. So, to me, saying "Arya's story in season 2 was worse" is not a very meaningful criticism of a television show.

Criticisms that make sense to me would be more absolute. e.g. "the show feels unfocused/needs a bigger budget," "Arya's/Jon's story is uninteresting," etc. But I think show-only viewers would disagree that those characters' stories are bad. That they're inferior to the books is obvious enough. Almost everything on the show is.

I think what can make the show especially irksome at times is that for the most part, they do get a lot of stuff right. Think of the show on a bigger picture and for the most part, HBO is doing a fantastic job adapting the books. Really. This whole endeavor could have gone wrong in so many places and they're truly doing a great job. But thats what makes it frustrating to me is that most of the issues I have with the show aren't big budget issues but just issues with characterization or writing. Stuff like Jon and Halfhand last year or Arya and Tywin. Maybe that is partially screentime and in turn budget related, but that sort of stuff can be frustrating since the show generally does stick to hitting the big plot points of the books, yet the way they develop the characters to get to those points in the show doesn't always feel like the characters have earned those plot points based on how the show develops them.

Stuff like Pod's scene is fine and kind of funny if taken in a vacuum. But if instead you were to add in a Mance/Jon scene or another Arya scene, I'd take those in a heartbeat instead.

Joe

GoT producers like to talk about how they don't have enough time to fit all the story stuff into 10 hours a season but that chair scene was a waste of time IMO.
Same with Podrick's shitty story arc.

As the chair scene was happening I was telling myself "you have to be kidding me, hurry the f up". So pointless.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
To me the Pod scenes are all about making him a memorable character.

How are they gonna know who Pod is when (ASOS)
he eventually becomes slightly more important later on. After those three scenes though, nobody will forget who Pod is.

(ASOS/AFFC)
The most important thing Pod ever does is save Tyrion in the Battle of Blackwater. He's not an important character at all in the books (so far). Who cares if he's memorable or not?

(ASOS/AFFC)
The most important thing Pod ever does is save Tyrion in the Battle of Blackwater. He's not an important character at all in the books (so far). Who cares if he's memorable or not?

(ASOS/AFFC)
He is definitely relatively unimportant overall. When he eventually starts hanging out with Brienne I think it'll be better for casual viewers to actually remember who he is. Even though mostly it doesn't really matter at all if they remember him or not.

RaidenZR

(ASOS/AFFC)

[AFFC/ADWD]
Yeah but it's uncertain if he has a role to play beyond ADWD. Since Brienne is believed to still be alive, it's likely Pod is too.

suzu

Like, there are people who watch this show who don't know who the fuck Roose Bolton is, so how are they gonna know who Pod is

Well, they could've done Bolton and Arya (like in the books). lol

Even though I like Charles Dance.. I feel like that story was a bit of a hit and miss.

Even though I like Charles Dance.. I feel like that story was a bit of a hit and miss.

Yeah.
Pretty sure people will be much more familiar with Bolton after the next few episodes, at least

RaidenZR

Yeah, the Tywin/Roose swapping was a gambled change that didn't pay off in the end. More screen time for Charles Dance is always welcome, and I enjoyed the moments of Tywin and Arya when viewed in isolation, but the writers really didn't put the exclamation point on why they thought that change was valuable.

Same goes for the shifted focus in S2 of more Ygritte/less Halfhand. [ASOS]
Big gamble that probably won't pay off any better this season than last.

Dany

Banned
Yeah. Pretty sure people will be much more familiar with Bolton after the next few episodes, at least

SOS
if this was the non book thread folks would be asking for your head. :p Be careful what you say, you don't want to lead people too directly that something major is happening

SOS
if this was the non book thread folks would be asking for your head. :p Be careful what you say, you don't want to lead people too directly that something major is happening

ASOS
I didn't mean the RW or anything, I just meant like, his interactions with Jaime/Locke and shit at Harrenhal. Basically all of the buildup that leads up to the shit really going down. But I spoilered it anyway

-griffy-

Banned
To me the Pod scenes are all about making him a memorable character. A great many people who watch this show don't know who a lot of the characters are for whatever reason (not paying enough attention, short memory, not rewatching every season etc.) and those casual viewers have to be taken into account.

Like, there are people who watch this show who don't know who the fuck Roose Bolton is, so how are they gonna know who Pod is when (ASOS)

I certainly would prefer that they don't write for the lowest common denominators like this. But I liked the Pod scenes. They were funny. The Bronn/Pod/Tyrion scene where they crowd around him was one of the only moments in the entire show to make me laugh so far. I thought it was great.

Ding ding ding. This guys gets it.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I met Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage on Friday =)

sX2mBju.jpg

Is this you?

exYle

Awesome! For what, did you snag a picture? :O

you're in calgary aren't you? my sister went for lena headey and baltar from bsg

I was indeed at the Calgary Comic Expo! It was an awesome turnout. I didn't manage to get a picture, unfortunately, but I got their signatures of my copy of Game of Thrones (pic soon). Dinklage asked me to lean forward and then he ruffled my hair.
Besides Headey and Dinklage (who we affectionately called Dinkleberg), there was Nathan Fillion, John Rhys-Davies, Stan Lee, Carrie Fisher, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, John Carpenter, among others I don't remember. Great year for the CCEE.

Is this you?

It is not - photo ops for either actor alone were expensive enough. I only got their signatures.
I did laugh at the fact that that guy asked them to pose unhappy.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I was indeed at the Calgary Comic Expo! It was an awesome turnout. I didn't manage to get a picture, unfortunately, but I got their signatures of my copy of Game of Thrones (pic soon). Dinklage asked me to lean forward and then he ruffled my hair.
Besides Headey and Dinklage (who we affectionately called Dinkleberg), there was Nathan Fillion, John Rhys-Davies, Stan Lee, Carrie Fisher, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, John Carpenter, among others I don't remember. Great year for the CCEE.

It is not - photo ops for either actor alone were expensive enough. I only got their signatures.

Ah damn. I just enjoy the fact that this guy told them to look miserable.
KuGsj.gif

Lkr

the guy from who wants to be a millionaire?

hoos30

GoT producers like to talk about how they don't have enough time to fit all the story stuff into 10 hours a season but that chair scene was a waste of time IMO.
Same with Podrick's shitty story arc.

As the chair scene was happening I was telling myself "you have to be kidding me, hurry the f up". So pointless.

WHAT?!?! That was top level filmmaking. They conveyed as much information about all of the characters in that one scene as GRRM would do in 15 pages.

kirblar

so tonight is only episode 5? aren't they moving a bit fast for two seasons?

btw is tonight's title because we are going to see some sweet sweet ygritte?

third edit, where can i find these pics?
Some of AFFC/DWD is going to get moved up to S4, I believe. They probably don't want to drag those books out for 3 seasons.

Lkr

joke post?

he's talking about DA GAWD

The horror guy hahaha

n2duA4a.jpg

i don't watch horror movies and i know nothing about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom