• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube gets Mic!

Shiggy

Does the GameCube get a microfon

According to Noa, they plan a microfon for the GameCube. This would be the mysterious hardware. The first titles are "Get On Da Mic and Get On Da Floor, developed by XS Games and planned for a release this November in the USA.

The interesting thing is, that also Mario Party 6 will use it. It will be shown at the GameStars Live (1st - 5th September). An official article about the game:

"Mario Party animals rejoice - Mario Party 6 takes the crowd-pleasing series to the next level with more than 75 all-new mini-games, six fresh game boards and a Nintendo GameCube Mic.
Clash with your friends in party-rockin' mini-games like Mowtown, Catch You Letter, Astaroad Rage and Cashapult.

The game comes with a Nintendo GameCube Mic. Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Included Nintendo GameCube Mic gives gamers the power to play mini-games by issuing voice commands, and lightning-fast movement around the board gives Mario Party 6 a much faster feel than previous games in the series."

Source: www.just-cubed.de

-----------------------------------

Get on da floor: http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=77707a3b-896e-4f81-9bb4-d6d70d63769d

Get on da mic: http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=f2019ddf-a3e9-4dd1-8cd2-c78520cfbc2e

Get on da mic is a karaoke game: http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/682/682228/img_2303472.html

king zell

Mario Party 6 revealed!

"Mario Party animals rejoice - Mario Party 6 takes the crowd-pleasing series to the next level with more than 75 all-new mini-games, six fresh game boards and a Nintendo GameCube Mic.
Clash with your friends in party-rockin' mini-games like Mowtown, Catch You Letter, Astaroad Rage and Cashapult.

A new day and night system gives game boards and mini-games a split personality! Boards transform, characters emerge from hiding and mini-games change dramatically depending on the time of day.

The game comes with a Nintendo GameCube Mic. Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice.

Faster movement: Speed around the board! Now there's less down time between turns and mini-games!
Game Storyline: The Mario Party series returns with more of everything. In the single-player Story mode, Brighton and Twila – otherwise known as the sun and the moon – are embroiled in a bitter feud over who's more impressive. It’s up to Mario and his party-hearty cohorts to settle the spat and restore order to the cosmos. Multiplayer Party mode features more than 75 all-new mini-games and six game boards.

Characters: Mario™, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi®, Daisy, Wario™, Waluigi, Boo, Koopa Kid, Bowser, Donkey Kong® and Toad.

How to progress through the game: In Party mode, players take turns traveling around game boards while competing with friends (or CPU players) for coins and stars in frantic mini-games! Story mode offers a strong single-player experience. In Mic mode, players speak into the Mic to answer questions in a game show.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Included Nintendo GameCube Mic gives gamers the power to play mini-games by issuing voice commands, and lightning-fast movement around the board gives Mario Party 6 a much faster feel than previous games in the series."

Holy moly.....not even a camera....just a mic.

Well I'll be damned. I'm starting to get visions of going "brrrrrrrrr" to move my car slowly in Mario Party and then "BRRRRRR!" to speed up really fast and overtake someone.

ge-man

This is the last thing I was thinking of we they started hinting at the peripheral. I'll wait for impression before making any judgement.

Wait, sorry for the double post here...

This just made me think of that rumor of RE4 using the new GC peripheral, and someone mentioned that it could be a mic to give voice commands to the girl you're rescuing. In one of the videos she ducks down so you can shoot over her head. Do you think that, maybe, with RE4 being delayed that this rumor might have a shred of truth? Interesting to think about, at least.

ge-man

JasoNsider said:

This just made me think of that rumor of RE4 using the new GC peripheral, and someone mentioned that it could be a mic to give voice commands to the girl you're rescuing. In one of the videos she ducks down so you can shoot over her head. Do you think that, maybe, with RE4 being delayed that this rumor might have a shred of truth? Interesting to think about, at least.

It's very possible, but I hope Capcom doesn't admit to it for their own sake. The idea sounds immediately gimmicky and people will be ready hunt Mikami down making a delay for something like this.

I'm not saying that the game would be missing the biggest selling period just to add Mic support. I'm saying that perhaps they were going to be delaying the game anyway, and with this extra time they will also have enough time to add support for this brand new peripheral.

More importantly, I could see that working really well in RE4. Giving her commands on the fly would be so much better than hitting buttons or having semi-functional AI routines.

"Follow me"
"Stay here"
"Get down!"
"Touch yourself"

ge-man

JasoNsider said:
I'm not saying that the game would be missing the biggest selling period just to add Mic support. I'm saying that perhaps they were going to be delaying the game anyway, and with this extra time they will also have enough time to add support for this brand new peripheral.

More importantly, I could see that working really well in RE4. Giving her commands on the fly would be so much better than hitting buttons or having semi-functional AI routines.

"Follow me"
"Stay here"
"Get down!"
"Touch yourself"

I'm not it's a bad idea or anything like that, but you know how these things often get spun on the internet. This is the stuff trolls live for if you know what I mean.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
JasoNsider said:

"Follow me"
"Stay here"
"Get down!"
"Touch yourself"

Eugh, if Lifeline for the PS2 is any indication of how voice command games will be like, then I want Capcom to keep RE4 the hell away from the mic.

It doesn't have to be that painful. In RE0 you had a companion that you could give orders to at the press of a button. This would be similar, but perhaps a little more flexible so that it actually makes playing the game more strategic. It's not that painful to just say "follow me" in the game. In fact, it would be more natural to say that then to sift through a multitude of commands via buttons and menus.

Personally, I could see lots of situations where the voice commands would really get you into the game when trying to save the girl.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wait...in MP6 is the Mic used just for some stupid quiz game? Or movement too? And do we all have to buy seperate Mics? If that's the case, screw that.

NWO

Mama Smurf said:
Wait...in MP6 is the Mic used just for some stupid quiz game? Or movement too? And do we all have to buy seperate Mics? If that's the case, screw that.

Can ANYBODY on the Internet read? You sound like the morons over at IGN.

Just read the highlighted parts....

Mario Party 6 revealed!

A new day and night system gives game boards and mini-games a split personality! Boards transform, characters emerge from hiding and mini-games change dramatically depending on the time of day.

Faster movement: Speed around the board! Now there's less down time between turns and mini-games!
Game Storyline: The Mario Party series returns with more of everything. In the single-player Story mode, Brighton and Twila – otherwise known as the sun and the moon – are embroiled in a bitter feud over who's more impressive. It’s up to Mario and his party-hearty cohorts to settle the spat and restore order to the cosmos. Multiplayer Party mode features more than 75 all-new mini-games and six game boards.

Characters: Mario™, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi®, Daisy, Wario™, Waluigi, Boo, Koopa Kid, Bowser, Donkey Kong® and Toad.

How to progress through the game: In Party mode, players take turns traveling around game boards while competing with friends (or CPU players) for coins and stars in frantic mini-games! Story mode offers a strong single-player experience. In Mic mode, players speak into the Mic to answer questions in a game show.

JasoNsider said:

well that means we'll never see re4 in the uk. They cudn't get the pikachu game to work here because of the multitude of accents

MrPing1000 said:
well that means we'll never see re4 in the uk. They cudn't get the pikachu game to work here because of the multitude of accents

I'm not saying it would even be a requirement. The mic could be just a simple added feature to the game for those that have one.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MrPing1000 said:
I wonder if that's why MP6 only has a "Mic Mode" as opposed to making the Mic an integral part of the main game.

This makes me happy. There was something damned charming about Hey, You Pikachu! And with three games already confirmed to be using the device Nintendo is well on its way to a successful launch. But I have to say, Nintendo is the king at releasing a wide variety of add-ons in such a short period of time. The E-reader, maybe the neatest little gadget, was well used for many applications and the Kongas are already set to have over five games utilizing their functions. I can imagine this mic will get just as much love.

Deg

Banned
Yeah mic is probably in RE4 for immersion.

MP mini games have abit of potential however as mini games can be be pretty crazy stuff. Sounds great i cant wait. Mic or not. MP5 was one of the best games last year.

human5892 said:
I wonder if that's why MP6 only has a "Mic Mode" as opposed to making the Mic an integral part of the main game.

Sorry, Josh, but the poster above forgot to bold this particular line:

Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice.

Mic will definitely be integrated into more than just a quiz, and there is a possibility it could be fully integrated into every mini game (sort of how some games rely on rumble, but have visual cues for those who don't have a rumble feature in their controller.)

Deg

Banned
I doubt it will be that dominated by mic. Mic has plenty of opportunity to be used well in a game like this however.

Mama Smurf

NWO said:
Can ANYBODY on the Internet read? You sound like the morons over at IGN.

Just read the highlighted parts....

Mario Party 6 revealed!

Don't call me a moron when you can't even understand my post.

I KNOW it says about the quiz game, you don't need to bold it. Do you think I just randomly pulled the idea of a quiz game out of the air? That'd be bloody coincidental. I'm asking if it's JUST for that, which is hardly an unreasonable comment when it says things like this too:

"Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice."

Does that count quizzes as a furiously fast mini-game? Or can we use it in other parts of the game too. If we can, why specifically mention the quiz?

As for the other bit, I said:

"And do we all have to buy seperate Mics?"

'cos you know...multiplayer game! What's Nintendo going to do, pack in 4 Mics? If you only use one Mic for the game, what's the point in it? It's not gonna make it any easier to play (which seems to be what Nitnendo's after), you'd still have to do the other stuff with the controller.

Honestly, the nerve of some people to compare my post to that of IGNers when they don't even understand some simple questions.

cvxfreak

I hereby predict a Hey You, Pikachu game. ::shudders::

The microphone itself isn't a terrible idea, and it'll come free with a mainstream game. Heck, if the DS can have a microphone, so can GC.

'cos you know...multiplayer game! What's Nintendo going to do, pack in 4 Mics? If you only use one Mic for the game, what's the point in it? It's not gonna make it any easier to play (which seems to be what Nitnendo's after), you'd still have to do the other stuff with the controller.

Well I'm guessing if it's a quiz show format, you could use the controller to "buzz in" and the first person to do so says their answer into the mic.

Deg

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I hereby predict a Hey You, Pikachu game. ::shudders::

Eventually :p and maybe a wario ware function as well. MP is a smart choice because its game open to many ideas such as Wario Ware(except game slast longer than 3 seconds). But yeah bringing Mario Tennis and MP6 this year is great news and mutliplayer gamers will be rejoicing.

Mama Smurf

I wonder how it plugs in anyway. If you have four controllers plugged in I mean, there aren't any slots on the controllers anymore.

Maybe one of those ports on the bottom.

if its for a multiplayer game, im willing to bet its gonna be more of a karaoke style mic that you can pass around than an actual ps2/xbox style headset.

Mama Smurf said:
I wonder how it plugs in anyway. If you have four controllers plugged in I mean, there aren't any slots on the controllers anymore.

They could always give it a pass through so that it doesn't really stop you from using a port.

Mama Smurf

Apparently Nintendo are waiting for reactions to DS and things like MP6 before deciding what to go with. I don't really understand how they can be making games for a system if they're not sure how it's going to control, but that's what's been said.

I guess it's not so bad if Sony are launching late enough.

Deg

Banned
Mama Smurf said:

true. Chances are the whole mode will require one mic for everyone.

I looked around for info on Get On Da Mic, and all IGN has about the game is that it's some kind of hip hop simulator and that it contains a lot of licensed music. Nothing about it supporting or requiring a microphone. I don't have an Insider account, though...maybe there's something in the Eidos E3 booth report?

NWO

Mama Smurf said:
Don't call me a moron when you can't even understand my post.

I KNOW it says about the quiz game, you don't need to bold it. Do you think I just randomly pulled the idea of a quiz game out of the air? That'd be bloody coincidental. I'm asking if it's JUST for that, which is hardly an unreasonable comment when it says things like this too:

"Now you can control some furiously fun mini-game action with the sound of your voice."

Does that count quizzes as a furiously fast mini-game? Or can we use it in other parts of the game too. If we can, why specifically mention the quiz?

As for the other bit, I said:

"And do we all have to buy seperate Mics?"

Honestly, the nerve of some people to compare my post to that of IGNers when they don't even understand some simple questions.

Well that would be my fault for not understanding what you said before.

My guess is that since the other games announced that will be using the mic thing are only 1 player that your only going to use one for Mario Party as well.

I don't see it working with 4 players with 4 mics because unless you have each person take a seperate turn or something its going to be chaos with 4 people shouting "Jump", "Run", "Throw", etc into the mics. But I could be wrong.

And wasn't there a rumor the other day that the DS would have some sort of voice microphone that plugs into it?

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the supposed DS headset is one and the same. Perhaps they'll just make a standard that can be used for both DS and GC. Why not? It would only take an adapter on one of the systems, but I think it's possible.

daMandus

evilromero said:
and the Kongas are already set to have over five games utilizing their functions. I can imagine this mic will get just as much love.

Five games? Donkey Konga 1 & 2 and Jungle Beat and...?

Top Bottom