• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube gets Mic!

AniHawk

There should be a Seaman for GC after Vivarium gets finished with Odama.

And I, for one, like this idea better than a camera.

jarrod

Banned
daMandus said:
Five games? Donkey Konga 1 & 2 and Jungle Beat and...?
I only count four...

-Donkey Kong
-Donkey Konga 2: Hit Song Parade
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
-Yoot Saito's Odama

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
I only count four...

-Donkey Kong
-Yoot Saito's Odama

I personally consider DK in the U.S. different from the Japanese version, so different that it's a different game altogether. I didn't know about Odama, though.

daMandus

jarrod said:
I only count four...

-Donkey Kong
-Yoot Saito's Odama

Odama? Any link to some info on that... not that I don't believe you, just that I really want to know more about it.

Thanks and all!

AniHawk

daMandus said:
Odama? Any link to some info on that... not that I don't believe you, just that I really want to know more about it.

Thanks and all!

You plug it into a second controller spot, and can use it to boost troop morale. That's pretty much it, I think.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I personally consider DK in the U.S. different from the Japanese version, so different that it's a different game altogether. I didn't know about Odama, though.
Yeah true... hopefully there some more games in the pipeline.

Alcibiades

the mic thing is very, very underwhelming if it's the accessory that will allow "the whole family" to play Mario Party 6, regardless of skill. Plus, do you still use controllers, I thought the whole point was to eliminate the need for controllers...

Memles

efralope said:
the mic thing is very, very underwhelming if it's the accessory that will allow "the whole family" to play Mario Party 6, regardless of skill. Plus, do you still use controllers, I thought the whole point was to eliminate the need for controllers...

I think the idea is a good one...if implemented well. Mic has plenty of uses, in my view. It could be used for Pokemon Titles, Advance Wars, Karaoke Revolution Port, etc. There is enough there that I feel it's a solid move.

But Mario Party? As far as I can see, it's like the Mic is used for mini-games on occasion, but there is also trivia questions? And is it a headset or a karaoke-style microphone? Because, as it is a multiplayer title, I'd expect we'd see a karaoke style, but the DS will see a headset, so they can't be one in the same. It's hard to speculate with so little information.

Underwhelming indeed. I wanted a cam... or something else. Booo! I can't be bothered to read the whole thing, how are 4 people gonna play if one of the controller ports in used for the mic?

Ristamar

After seeing the topic title, I couldn't help but picture Mario holding up a DS with the text "MIC GET!" SMS style.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm rather puzzled at this, as those Nintendo trademarks from a few months ago -seemed- to clearly show a camera.

AniHawk

huzkee said:
Underwhelming indeed. I wanted a cam... or something else. Booo! I can't be bothered to read the whole thing, how are 4 people gonna play if one of the controller ports in used for the mic?

Meh... Eye Toy, Game Boy Camera, and even the Game Eye all looked gimmicky. The best usage of either one of them was mapping faces onto characters, and that never even happened. At least with a mic you can give commands and interact, as opposed to things like in Eye Toy where you knock things out of the way with your hands.

It's not that I think a camera is a bad idea. It's that no one has made a really good use out of it yet. Though there's really one use for a mic, those games are entertaining for a longer lasting period of time.

Anihawk said:
And I, for one, like this idea better than a camera.

Same here. There might be some huge untapped potential with camera games, but the EyeToy stuff has left me cold thusfar.

I'd love to see a Mario Party game that required a set of bongos, a pair of maracas, a dance pad and a microphone. It'd cost about as much as Steel Battalion and would be far more fun.

Catchpenny said:
Same here. There might be some huge untapped potential with camera games, but the EyeToy stuff has left me cold thusfar.

I'd love to see a Mario Party game that required a set of bongos, a pair of maracas, a dance pad and a microphone. It'd cost about as much as Steel Battalion and would be far more fun.

I think I have all that laying around here...

NWO

efralope said:
I thought the whole point was to eliminate the need for controllers...

What would be the point of eliminating controllers?

That's like taking away the mouse and keyboard from your computer.

People just blew the comments out of the water (again) with stuff that Nintendo says. For some reason people tend to believe stuff from Nintendo only if its wacky or negative. If its something positive then they just say Nintendo will never do it and totally ignore it.

Acrylamid

Catchpenny said:
I'd love to see a Mario Party game that required a set of bongos
I wonder if the built-in microphone of the bongos (that registers when you clap in Donkey Konga) can be used with Mario Party 6 ...

fr4nz

will this mic plug into the controler port ? i mean digital signal like controler input and analogic voice signal are not handled in the same way....

Agent X

AniHawk said:
At least with a mic you can give commands and interact, as opposed to things like in Eye Toy where you knock things out of the way with your hands.

How is the EyeToy not interactive, then?

Memles

Agent X said:

I think he means that A Microphone interacts with a "video game" interface, not a web cam game. When it comes to being used with video game, and not webcam technology, a microphone is technically the better choice from a usage standpoint if you're looking for a new experience, and one that is actually within a video game.

AniHawk

Agent X said:

I was tired when I wrote that.

I think what I meant to say was that the Eye Toy, while you interact in the games currently available, there's no real depth to them. It would be cool if it could put you in a game like Tekken and you could see yourself fight on the TV (I know there's something similar to this already, but it's not the same. This could/should/would have to use a dance pad of some sort to understand you're moving forward or backward).

Stuff like Seaman and Lifeline sounded like fun because you were actually talking to the character on the screen, and the character would react to your commands/words. Not so much in Lifeline, since I heard the voice detection system was pretty bad, but you get the idea.

EDIT: And what Memles said.

By the way, Nintendo *did* trademark those logos for the "Manebito Camera" and "Ningen Copy" stuff, right? So a camera *is* coming.

Agent X

Memles said:
I think he means that A Microphone interacts with a "video game" interface, not a web cam game. When it comes to being used with video game, and not webcam technology, a microphone is technically the better choice from a usage standpoint if you're looking for a new experience, and one that is actually within a video game.

"New experience," huh? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, every DS vs. PSP thread...

I think you're really selling the EyeToy short here.

AniHawk said:
I think what I meant to say was that the Eye Toy, while you interact in the games currently available, there's no real depth to them.

Hmm...it's really hard for me to address this comment, since the only EyeToy game I've played is EyeToy: Play. So, I'll just address that one.

With regard to EyeToy: Play, you're right, most of the mini-games don't have any real depth to them. That's not really the point of EyeToy: Play, though. They're supposed to be fun diversions that you can play in short bursts. I've got EyeToy: Play, and it's great when you've only got 10-15 minutes to spare and want a break from the "usual" games. It's also great in a party environment.

Analogous counterparts from the Nintendo universe would be Wario Ware and Mario Party games. I don't really hear people complaining about the lack of depth in those games.

AniHawk said:
It would be cool if it could put you in a game like Tekken and you could see yourself fight on the TV (I know there's something similar to this already, but it's not the same. This could/should/would have to use a dance pad of some sort to understand you're moving forward or backward).

Perhaps they will do this eventually. EyeToy is still very new, you know. For what it's worth, Dance Dance Revolution Extreme will use both a dance pad and the EyeToy.

AniHawk said:
Stuff like Seaman and Lifeline sounded like fun because you were actually talking to the character on the screen, and the character would react to your commands/words.

You're aware the EyeToy has a microphone in it, right?

Oh, and EyeToy: AntiGrav doesn't exactly look like your garden variety "Webcam game":

eyetoy-antigrav-20040727095720876.jpg

eyetoy-antigrav-20040727095718845.jpg

AniHawk

Agent X said:
"New experience," huh? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, every DS vs. PSP thread...

He didn't say a mic was a new experience compared to a camera. He said that if you're looking for one, mics can offer deeper ones than a camera. People were disappointed that it was only a mic, when I think that mics have provided a more in depth experience than cameras have in the past 4 years (except in arcades).

Hmm...it's really hard for me to address this comment, since the only EyeToy game I've played is EyeToy: Play. So, I'll just address that one.

With regard to EyeToy: Play, you're right, most of the mini-games don't have any real depth to them. That's not really the point of EyeToy: Play, though. They're supposed to be fun diversions that you can play in short bursts. I've got EyeToy: Play, and it's great when you've only got 10-15 minutes to spare and want a break from the "usual" games. It's also great in a party environment.

Analogous counterparts from the Nintendo universe would be Wario Ware and Mario Party games. I don't really hear people complaining about the lack of depth in those games.

Well I'm not a fan of Wario Ware or Mario Party (anymore) either. Doesn't mean I'll create a thread about it. I was just responding to a situation which I saw in this thread. My main complaint with the Eye Toy and similar devices is that they haven't really been used in any interesting ways yet.

Perhaps they will do this eventually. EyeToy is still very new, you know. For what it's worth, Dance Dance Revolution Extreme will use both a dance pad and the EyeToy.

See, now that's pretty cool. A nice variation on the dance rhythm genre.

You're aware the EyeToy has a microphone in it, right?

No.

Oh, and EyeToy: AntiGrav doesn't exactly look like your garden variety "Webcam game":

eyetoy-antigrav-20040727095720876.jpg

eyetoy-antigrav-20040727095718845.jpg

That's also pretty cool looking. I haven't been avoiding Eye Toy threads on purpose or anything, but that's my first time seeing that.

Memles

Agent X said:

I think you're really selling the EyeToy short here.

As Anihawk said (I try to justify something he says in the thread, he justifies something I say, why bother explaining things ourselves! ;)), my point was not a matter of saying that the Microphone is a new experience over a webcam. It was that, when it comes to using such an item in a video game situation (rather than in a mini-game one) it seems like the microphone has more options.

That game does look quite neat, I'll admit, but I stand by what I said. This isn't the same as DS vs. PSP. This is a matter of which one of these two peripherals has more in-game applications. It's the microphone, at this point, because the Eye Toy seems to have created 90% gimmick. Should be interesting to see how that game turns out.

snapty00

Banned
Some of the EyeToy demos are fucking awesome.

The one where you swing a bat in real-life (with no cords attached) to swing a sword is so damn awesome. It acted on-screen exactly as the guy swung it in real life.

The demo where the guy used the controller to do most of the work in a first-person shooter, but used his body to lean left or right to peak around corners in the game, was so damn awesome. That was, by far, one of the most intelligent uses of new technology that I've ever seen in a videogame. When games come out that are more like that, I'm getting an EyeToy.

im pretty sure AntiGrav is being made by Harmonix, so despite the fact that it'll probably end up being a shallow little camara game, that has my interest piqued a little. I still want a sequel to Freq/Amplitude though.

jarrod

Banned
Agent X said:
Er, then I take it you've never read a Mario Party review in your life? ;)

Mario Party and Wario Ware make up for the simple nature of their games by having a wide variety of minigames available. Diversity to help cover depth so to speak.

CVXFREAK said:
They are very different. I have both the Japanese ones and judging from the US demo the new songs make for a very different game. So the EUR version will also be worth importing.

And Odama makes it 6.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Mario party 6 here I come :).
This only makes Mario Party 6 more interesting. With party 5 Hudson really polished the series to near perfection and with six they needed something that set it apart from the others.

Top Bottom