• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: EA's New Empire = An Interview with Peter Moore

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's a direct competitor to their own subscription service, and its existence undercuts the potential value of their own subscription service. It makes complete sense to me.
In my opinion, offering multiple services fits the "#4ThePlayers" tagline better than blocking the additional, third party services.

gtj1092

Lol at the people calling him salty.
Imagine how salty Sony is after they saw how succesful the service got. Everyone thought the service would fail prior to release, including Sony.

Please do tell how successful the service is?

Also people do realize that MS/Sony/Nintendo do block services and games from appearing on their system every day. That's why they are closed ecosystems. So yes Sony made the choice for their consumers just like all platform holders do.

In my opinion, offering multiple services fits the "#4ThePlayers" tagline better than blocking the additional, third party services.
They're not so much blocking it, as they are choosing not to sell it. Every storefront, digital or not, has to make decisions about what products to carry and what not to carry for a variety of reasons. It's not inherently anticonsumer, which is what I think you're getting at. Anyway EA will do fine with their millions of Madden dollars, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

ksdixon

Sony 'isn't' stupid. That's why EA Access isn't on PS4. Xbox fans might jump on board with EA Access, considering MS and EA's close relatioship going back years. But you just know if Ubisoft and Activision and 2K thought they could get away with it, we'd have 'Access' programs for all of them too and we'd have to sign up to like 5 services, thus leaving less games that would potentially turn-up on PS Plus/Games With Gold. Xbox are just desperate to look like they have a leg up on PS4 by having EA Access when Sony don't, but in truth EA Access sets a bad precedent for possible bad future.

Sony 'isn't' stupid. That's why EA Access isn't on PS4. Xbox fans might jump on board with EA Access, considering MS and EA's close relatioship going back years. But you just know if Ubisoft and Activision and 2K thought they could get away with it, we'd have 'Access' programs for all of them too and we'd have to sign up to like 5 services, thus leaving less games that would potentially turn-up on PS Plus/Games With Gold. Xbox are just desperate to look like they have a leg up on PS4 by having EA Access when Sony don't, but in truth EA Access sets a bad precedent for possible bad future.

And if they all offered an EA Access-like service with as great of a value, I'd persoanlly try it. The money I've saved with EA Access has been pretty enormous. I probably won't buy an EA game ever again (why would I when I can get most for $30 a year, which is probably about what I'd pay for one of them). For a consumer like me that doesn't mind waiting to play the latest games, it's not a big deal.

I know others would disagree with me, and that's great because it's not like games won't still be sold the old traditional way.

Your argument would hold more water if they had stopped selling their games the traditional way and only offered them through their program...but I don't see that happening (and honestly, why would they when they can still sell those games for $60!).

I personally don't see the "threat" to Games with Gold or PS+...there's no way either service would offer the amount of big budget games that EA Access has provided. Sure, it might have an effect, but it's not like we are going from an EA game every month on XBL/PSN to no games upon the arrival of EA Access.

Chris1

Sony 'isn't' stupid. That's why EA Access isn't on PS4. Xbox fans might jump on board with EA Access, considering MS and EA's close relatioship going back years. But you just know if Ubisoft and Activision and 2K thought they could get away with it, we'd have 'Access' programs for all of them too, leaving less games that would potentially turn-up on PS Plus/Games With Gold. Xbox are just desperate to look like they have a leg up on PS4 by having EA Access when Sony don't, but in truth EA Access sets a bad precedent for possible bad future.

EA Access is already out in the wild, it's on xbox. That would only have worked if xbox turned it down too but it's too late now. What's stopping EA from just simply not putting games on PS+ to spite Sony for turning down their own service which is probably making them a ton of money?

Your argument is resting in hopes that publishers with these types of Access deals would still put their games on PS+ because PS doesn't have Access but IMO that's even more of a reason not to put their games on PS+

I still don't necessarily think EA access = no GWG ever from EA though. It might delay it until it's no longer useful to EAA, but I'm not sure about ever.

iam not interested in renting games.

i would rather play a demo before buying my games.

i still think its sort of fishy. has any of the big companies explained how the devs get paid? is it the same as spotify? like 0,001cent for every song heard?
All games on EA access are EA games. This isn't the same as Playstation Now where all devs are represented.

djkeem

Unconfirmed Member
Ea access doesn't fully compete with ps plus, because you still need a subscription for online multiplayer.
If anything ea access would complement plus because some ea games require online access to fully take advantage of them.
I think from sony's perspective they would rather have everything under one single subscription.

Mikey Jr.

I bet Sony just did it out of spite. I mean, just look at how much EA helped Xb1 at the beginning of the generation.

PVZ timed exclusive
Peggle 2 timed exclusive
Titanfall exclusive
Fifa bundle
DLC

So Sony probably thought "Ok, no problem." and just blocked the service altogether.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I bet Sony just did it out of spite. I mean, just look at how much EA helped Xb1 at the beginning of the generation.

PVZ timed exclusive
Peggle 2 timed exclusive
Titanfall exclusive
Fifa bundle
DLC

So Sony probably thought "Ok, no problem." and just blocked the service altogether.

Yes, it had absolutely nothing to do with PS+.

Let's also ignore that EA originally went to Sony and offered the service too.

Let's keep this EA/Microsoft blame train going for Sony's own anti-consumer decision.

Ea access doesn't fully compete with ps plus, because you still need a subscription for online multiplayer.
If anything ea access would complement plus because some ea games require online access to fully take advantage of them.
I think from sony's perspective they would rather have everything under one single subscription.

How is PS+ and PSNow all under one subscription?

Sony didn't want any competition for the services they are trying to get off the ground.

I wish.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering almost every single EA game is multiplayer they're actually losing potential plus members by NOT offering EA Access.

Lol at the people calling him salty.
Imagine how salty Sony is after they saw how succesful the service got. Everyone thought the service would fail prior to release, including Sony.

'not very salty'?

Anyway, just how successful is the service, do we have numbers for subscribers (not just the monthly 'dippers'? Purchases made through EAA from demo conversions?

I bet Sony just did it out of spite.

Oh boy. Spiteful Sony is here.

I expect they looked at it from a business perspective and decided (for whatever reasons, but I bet spite wasn't involved) that they didn't want EAA on their storefront/OS, nothing more than that.

diaspora

Tales From My Ass.

Nobody has to sign up for EA Access and all EA games are fully purchasable normally through the XBL Store, therefore you'd HAVE to sign up if 2k, Activision, et al did it too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm surprised they don't have EA Access on PC via Origin..

I'm subscribed even though I rarely buy EA games on Xbox one. The vault is nice for games I'm curious about but not interested enough to buy full price, and the early access helps me decide whether to buy the game - but that purchase is usually on PC or PS4.

I suppose EA don't really care - a sale is a sale.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes, it had absolutely nothing to do with PS+.

Let's also ignore that EA originally went to Sony and offered the service too.

Let's keep this EA/Microsoft blame train going for Sony's own anti-consumer decision.

How is PS+ and PSNow all under one subscription?

Sony didn't want any competition for the services they are trying to get off the ground.

I wish.

Why would sony block it because of competition with PS+, when MS didn't block it even though it would arguably compete with Games for Gold?

Why would sony block it because of competition with PS+, when MS didn't block it even though it would arguably compete with Games for Gold?

I feel like IGC is a much more important part of the subscription service on Playstation than GwG is on Xbox, given how long it took MS to actually get a similar thing going with Gold and the somewhat lack of effort they put into it originally

Top Bottom