• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: EA's New Empire = An Interview with Peter Moore

Mob_zter

Neo Member
Sorry, guess the time frame is shorter than I thought. I know nothing about the service.

My main point still stands, that I wouldn't use EA Access if it was on PS4.

But it would be nice for other users if it was available there though.

Yeah. For you its not worth.Its you opinion. And i totally agree with you & respect your Choice. But i really like EA games & i have a PS4. I dont have another 350$ to spend on XBOXONE. So as you said its a nice feature to have on PS4. some may like it. some may dont. Just like PS+ . if its on PS4 i'd definitely get a subscription just to play Battlefield & Need For speed & Dragon age.

mocoworm

Titanfall servers are dead though from what I've been reading. Destiny has totally eclipsed any momentum Titanfall might have had to be the next COD.

This is categorically NOT true. Do you just make things up as you type them? Titanfall on XONE is VERY well populated. I played just last night (check my GT for proof) and it took seconds to find full lobby's for every mode I played.

Since it was put in EA Access the game is booming.

Do you play Titanfall? I am guessing the answer is no and that you don't own an XONE.

FordGTGuy

Banned
In that interview he gave with Phil Spencer you could see that the rivers of salt ran deep within that man. I get the feeling that every penny they pay Sony in royalties he hands over begrudgingly.

You mean the chump change they pay the bluray association in which there are 20 companies that include Microsoft?

Well for one they were there at the Xbone unveil, not at the PS one.

Fifa was a freebie in Europe on Xbox.

Titanfall exclusive.

Still trying to figure out how a few timed exclusives have anything to do with Sony saying no.

I don't care for annual sports games and there's nothing great from EA this gen besides Garden Warfare, so for me, on PS4, makes no difference for now.

Maybe next year...

Yeah. For you its not worth.Its you opinion. And i totally agree with you & respect your Choice. But i really like EA games & i have a PS4. I dont have another 350$ to spend on XBOXONE. So as you said its a nice feature to have on PS4. some may like it. some may dont. Just like PS+ . if its on PS4 i'd definitely get a subscription just to play Battlefield & Need For speed & Dragon age.

Errrm ok....

Did you read the very last line of my post?

I actually said it's better for the service to be on PS4 but I myself won't use it.

mocoworm

Telltale sign of a breakaway success, since it's free people play it.

How is it on PC?

I have no idea, but we aren't discussing PC. This is a thread about EA Access on XONE and PS4. What has PC got to do with our discussion?

People are playing it because it is an incredible game. It sold over 3 million copies at retail on a new platform that had just launched.

Sounds like they have no reason
(desire)
expanding to PS4.

That Game Spot piece was poor journalism. Anybody who has been paying attention knows that the issue here lies with Sony and not EA, so the interviewer either hasn't done their homework or they are willfully producing negative spin .

No wonder Moore sounds annoyed.

Kosma

Banned
I have no idea, but we aren't discussing PC. This is a thread about EA Access on XONE and PS4. What has PC got to do with our discussion?

Breakaway success? It sold over 3 million copies at release on a new platform that had just launched.

Were talking about Titanfall,

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's not. This is a thread about a Gamespot interview with Peter Moore of which EA Access is one part.

Mob_zter

Neo Member
Well for one they were there at the Xbone unveil, not at the PS one.

Fifa was a freebie in Europe on Xbox.

Titanfall exclusive.

Titanfall servers are dead though from what I've been reading. Destiny has totally eclipsed any momentum Titanfall might have had to be the next COD.

Please do your research before posting things like this. Titanfall is not dead on XBOXONE. The only reason people kinda moved on coz they didnt have many modes or weapons when the game releasing. Its fixed now , They already made all DLC free also. Lots of people are still play Titanfall.

Renekton

Also what you should know is that these are business decisions made by lots of people. Not just a single person. No one got Burned. EA have a good relationship with MS , just as much as Sony. If you really look you'll see Sony got the marketing rights for Battlefront also. IF these guys are really angry you'll see MS getting marketing rights for every EA game..
Back to square one then. It is possible one publisher has better relationship with one platform holder than another. It is possible EA offered different terms to each.

Madchad

With the whole timed exclusive deals would that have stopped games being brought to either ps4/xbone platforms regardless of the ea access if it was on both platforms ?

mocoworm

It's not. This is a thread about a Gamespot interview with Peter Moore of which EA Access is one part.

This thread has been merged with another it would seem. The original one we were discussing in, was about the EA Access comments that Peter Moore made, starting with post #54 in this new merged thread.

The OP in the original thread even basically still just talks about the EA Access comments as well. Post #1

Jigorath

Banned
This is categorically NOT true. Do you just make things up as you type them? Titanfall on XONE is VERY well populated. I played just last night (check my GT for proof) and it took seconds to find full lobby's for every mode I played.

Before it was put into EA Access the game was nearly dead online. I remember, I tried to play it a little while back and the population was very low. Obviously now more people are playing because it's free to all EA Access subscribers but it was not in a good place earlier.

jem0208

You mean the PS4 customers are randomly stuck on the PS4 and aren't capable of buying the console with the better services?

That's some concern trolling.
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Is it really so hard to grasp that some people would like to have access to the service on their PS4's

What does that mean?

Won't Sony still get platform royalty/revenue from EA if they allow Access on the PS4?

they probably won't, since you won't have to buy any of the games on Ea access they'll be free, and the subscription money goes straight to EA.

I'm been trying to think of reasons why sony wouldn't want this deal, because their "value for consumers" line is bullshit.

Its probably because they have to pay to have it on their system maybe?, and then they don't get their split on sales of the EA access games maybe? the only reason sony wouldn't have it on their system is money.

Back to square one then. It is possible one publisher has better relationship with one platform holder than another. It is possible EA offered different terms to each.

I don't think different terms, i do think the relationship does play a part in it, its why the COd deal made sense, sony have been cosying up to activision plenty the last 18 months with diablo UEE , Destiny and COD.

Sony's with EA has been less so,i can only think of Battlefront and hardline deals they had, hardline sony really stopped pushing and has been theorised here disney's relationship with sony probably got star wars one, while Microsoft has had at least 3 timed/full exclusive games with EA, marketing with madden, fifa, and dragon age + timed DLC and probably more.

I think money + relationship is why it not on PS4.

DryvBy

Haha. DO u even know what you are talking about. I cant believe how some people are saying that its not worth & its good that Sony stopped it.

This is what EA access is

Games in the Vault

1 Battlefield 4
2 Madden NFL 25
3 FIFA 14
4 Peggle 2
5 Need for Speed Rivals
6 Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
7 EA Sports UFC
8 NBA Live 15
9 Madden NFL
10 NHL 15
11 FIFA 15
12 Titanfall
13 Dragon Age: Inquisition

So basically Every EA game released on XBOX ONE except Battlefield Hardline available for Consumers for 5$ a month or 30$ per year ( 2.5$ month)

If anyone saying this is a bad deal, You are stupid & Blind from EA/ Microsoft hate.

I think it's because (from what I can remember from that thread) this would be bad if more developers did their own service like this. Instead of getting Ubi/EA/Acti games on PS+, you'd have a per month service for every company out there if the company wanted which would cheapen the PS+ benefit.

Something like that. Or people just believe EA will lock people into a service and then quit delivering goods.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I don't like Games as a Service and I don't like paying for demos, so I'm glad EA Access isn't getting the full market share.

But... you're not paying for demos....

You're paying for full access to a vault of games and on top of that you can play the full version of games without buying them for a set number of hours before they release.

EA + Xbox One Store = apparently shady stuff is happening again which might turn out to be bad for the customer again.

Kinda glad that EA Access isn't on the PS4.

Uhh... What? Please elaborate, as unless I'm ignorant, this is utter crap. It almost seems to me that you recognize you're unable to find fair criticism, so instead you're turning to vague
'apparent-lys' and 'mights' to obscure the reality of Access, which is that it is unmistakably a fantastic deal if EA's library interests you.

Kuldar

You're paying for full access to a vault of games and on top of that you can play the full version of games without buying them for a set number of hours before they release.
If it's part of the service, you are paying for it.

mike4001_

I think it's because (from what I can remember from that thread) this would be bad if more developers did their own service like this. Instead of getting Ubi/EA/Acti games on PS+, you'd have a per month service for every company out there if the company wanted which would cheapen the PS+ benefit.

Something like that. Or people just believe EA will lock people into a service and then quit delivering goods.

True if PS+ (as well as GwG) would offer AAA retail games within 6-9 months after release for 30 $ per year.

We are now almost 2 years in and haven´t seen a single one.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not due to market share. Im guessing Sony wanted to plug its own PS+ and PSNow regardless.

Question: does EA Access have its own storefront?
There is an EA Access app but all discounts/vault games/etc/ will be highlighted as such in the normal XB1 store (including web store, smartglass app, etc).

EDIT: Some of the tinfoil hat comments are amazing.
EA + Steam = shady stuff happened which turned out to be bad for the customer.
EA + Xbox One Store = apparently shady stuff is happening again which might turn out to be bad for the customer again.

What shady stuff, not being sarcastic I really want to know as I would prefer to not pay for a shady service.
I think money + relationship is why it not on PS4.
Sony said no. EA Access not going on PS4 had nothing to do with 'money and relationship'. Why do people no want to believe that, a Sony rep came out and said;
We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect.
Is there other information out there which states the opposite or is the 'money and relationship' thing just guess work?

Mob_zter

Neo Member

Not everyone can do this. Only few Publishers like Activtion, Ubisoft. Thing is, PS+ is really sucks on PS4. Its like Indie game + . I only saw like 2 or 3 AAA games that came to PS+ on PS4. Like INJUSTICE & Infamous first light & MGS Ground zeroes. All other PS4 games are mostly indies. We still didnt saw Ubisoft, Activtion, EA, Square games PS4 games on PS+. So i guess i'd love to have a Subscription service for every major publisher i guess. If its worth like EA acess, i'll buy it, if it doesnt i dont buy it. I can buy their games i like on retail discs anyway. We as consumers need to decide what we wont. We dont need Sony making decisions for US.

Pretty much

They went all in on MS and got burned

Maybe they will learn from this next gen

I think it's pretty clear EA was in bed with MS from before the gen started with Titanfall and all.

That franchise never really took off thanks to that decision for one.

Lol what are you talking about?, " maybe they will learnb from this next gen". This is business, not some highschool drama.

Before it was put into EA Access the game was nearly dead online. I remember, I tried to play it a little while back and the population was very low. Obviously now more people are playing because it's free to all EA Access subscribers but it was not in a good place earlier.

Another proof of how valuable is EA Access as a service.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If it's part of the service, you are paying for it.

That's like criticizing the price of a meal because you're paying for your drink too.

EA + Steam = shady stuff happened which turned out to be bad for the customer.

The only thing shady is Sony's reasoning for not allowing EA Access.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Is it really so hard to grasp that some people would like to have access to the service on their PS4's

It's not part of the PS service and won't come to it. There isn't much to discuss about it outside of fanboy rants.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Games as a Service and I don't like paying for demos, so I'm glad EA Access isn't getting the full market share.

Not a fan of having options?

It's a direct competitor to their own subscription service, and its existence undercuts the potential value of their own subscription service. It makes complete sense to me.

Why would what Sony wants ever matter to the end consumer? Unless you're an investor in Sony this should strike you as an overt anti-consumer move only perpetrated to protect corporate interests.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's a direct competitor to their own subscription service, and its existence undercuts the potential value of their own subscription service. It makes complete sense to me.

That isn't what's shady, what's shady is that their official reasoning is that they determined that it doesn't hold good value for their customers.

I honestly have no problem with them protecting their own interests, they are a business after all.

It would have been better to have said nothing than what they commented with.

I remember there was some backlash by consumers that EA access wouldn't be on the PS4 because of Sony saying no

quite frankly though the same people who were upset (that I know of) and some others currently don't care anymore.... of course there are likely still some who would want the service but overlying craving for it or having a large demand for it on the PS userbase has died down

sam777

I think it's pretty clear EA was in bed with MS from before the gen started with Titanfall and all.

That franchise never really took off thanks to that decision for one.

Do your research, Titanfall was going to be canned if it weren't for MS.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I remember there was some backlash by consumers that EA access wouldn't be on the PS4 because of Sony saying no

quite frankly though the same people who were upset (that I know of) and some others currently don't care anymore.... of course there are likely still some who would want the service but overlying craving for it or having a large demand for it on the PS userbase has died down

Just because there isn't a thread every day about it doesn't mean there wouldn't be huge demand for it if they announced it.

So, you pay for demos.

Not a fan of having options?
Not a fan of games treated as a service rather than a product. Unless a product actually kills people, companies usually can't recall them. You own that product, despite what the license agreement says. When games become a service they no longer have any value. No longer do you own a game, you now actually license it (one of the reasons I always choose physical over digital when possible) and that can be rescinded and taken away from you with little notice, despite paying the same as if you'd bought a physical product.

It's anti-consumer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not a fan of games treated as a service rather than a product. Unless a product actually kills people, companies usually can't recall them. You own that product, despite what the license agreement says. When games become a service they no longer have any value. No longer do you own a game, you now actually license it (one of the reasons I always choose physical over digital when possible) and that can be rescinded and taken away from you with little notice, despite paying the same as if you'd bought a physical product.

It's anti-consumer.

So, you don't like having options then.

TBiddy

So, you pay for demos. .

No, you pay for full access to a wide variety of games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Access

It's anti-consumer.

I can certainly see where you're coming from with this. But you need to remember that this service is primarily for "older" games. If you wish to play FIFA 16 from the start, you need to buy it, simple as that. If you can wait 6 months (or whatever the period is), you can keep paying the 5USD/month and play some of the other games in the vault.

It's fantastic value for money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Really don't understand the downplay and hate by some people, if it was available on PS4 no one would force you to subscribe. But having choices and options is apparently bad.

I would love for PlayStation to grow some balls and admit they were wrong to turn this down and work to get on PS4. I'm currently subscribed on Xbox and the free games, digital discount and demos are great. Would much rather it on PS4 since it's my main console though.

Unless all EA games stop appearing from PS+ ever and get no more PS+ discounts... which would happen for sure and then see every big publisher having the same program on every console.... and PC.

ChryZ

EA still not acting in the best interest of consumers, but rather indulge in corporate mingling and general bullshittery. No lessons learned yet, let's see how long it will take.

timlot

Banned
TheRealTalker;175398132]I remember there was some backlash by consumers that EA access wouldn't be on the PS4 because of Sony saying no

quite frankly though the same people who were upset (that I know of) and some others currently don't care anymore.... of course there are likely still some who would want the service but overlying craving for it or having a large demand for it on the PS userbase has died down[[/B

Reality that its not coming has sit in. Also the fact that it was Sony who chose not to allow EA Access and not "EA" put the warriors in a difficult position. They started taking strange position why Sony was right to not even offer it as an option for its users. Very interesting threads back then.

So, you don't like having options then.
So, you aren't interested in having an adult discussion about this then. Gotcha.

No, you pay for full access to a wide variety of games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Access

I can certainly see where you're coming from with this. But you need to remember that this service is primarily for "older" games. If you wish to play FIFA 16 from the start, you need to buy it, simple as that. If you can wait 6 months (or whatever the period is), you can keep paying the 5USD/month and play some of the other games in the vault.

It's fantastic value for money.
The 10 hour preview is probably the biggest marketing point of EA Access. Regardless of other things included, you are still paying to access a demo. Something that used to be fairly standard and free.

Yes, it is mostly older games but that doesn't change the fact that these games get devalued in a really weird way. Instead of pricing the actual games in accordance with their actual value, we see games staying at the same price for far longer than they should be. There is still the issue of losing access.

I frankly don't understand why EA Access needs to exist outside of purely for profit. Thus it's anti-consumer.

Top Bottom