• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - PSP Hands on Impressions

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108496.html

For those wondering just how the PSP hardware feels in comparison to Nintendo's upcoming DS, which we had the chance to play at this year's E3, two are totally different animals. To be fair, we have yet to get our hands on the final DS hardware which is undergoing a final round of tweaks. But currently, the DS we've seen has been workmanlike in its style, whereas the PSP has a downright sexy design. Whereas the DS is larger and heavier, the PSP is considerably lighter and feels more comfortable. Of course, the unit's design doesn't have any effect on either platform's games. But for now, the PSP is certainly the most eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing of the two.

OMG! Teh PSP is as big as a VCR TAPE!! :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Many kiosks and private demos were running off of developer kits connected to PSPs. But there were also plenty of free-standing, playable PSP units, although it appears that they were running games off of a Sony memory stick. As a result, it's hard to definitively judge how the unit is going to handle running a game off a disc while maintaining a solid battery life.

GRAB THE PITCHFORKS AND BOILING OIL!

How big do these memory sticks get?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
PSP = sexy

That's the one consistant adjective in which people use to describe the system. Hell Sony should take this and go all out with a sexy marketing campaign!

Deg

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
PSP = sexy

That's the one consistant adjective in which people use to describe the system. Hell Sony should take this and go all out with a sexy marketing campaign!

unfortunately hardcore gamers = not general public

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mmm. Running games off memory sticks...Please leave that functionality in Sony

Duos go up to 1GB, but you can actually plug in full sized ones, and they just stick out a bit - those go up to 2GB - just right for a UMD game :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
unfortunately hardcore gamers = not general public
Actually, it's the general public that is mostly making such comments about the high-end electronics, and industrial design. Hardcore gamers, from my experience, would hail the system made out of cardboard if it had a good lineup of games.

ourumov

I am not thinking in piracy but in a whole world of emulation. Emulating snes, psx or even dc would be awesome :).

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
Actually, it's the general public that is mostly making such comments about the high-end electronics, and industrial design. Hardcore gamers, from my experience, would hail the system made out of cardboard if it had a good lineup of games.

Oh so GA doesnt get all these 'which art is better arguments'?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am not thinking in piracy but in a whole world of emulation. Emulating snes, psx or even dc would be awesome

Actually, I was thinking piracy, but your option seems even better! Mame on PSP would be great!

Honestly, the PSP is the sleekest, coolest, sexiest handheld piece of equipment I've ever seen. Better than an IPod, better than an SP... it's just awesome looking.

ourumov

I am not pro-piracy, I like to collect games.
However, I would like to use the power of PSP to have a decent SNES/PSX emulator :)

work·man·like ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wûrkmn-lk)
adj.
Befitting a skilled artisan or craftsperson; skillfully done.

GET IT RIGHT, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Drinky Crow said:
adj.

Adj. 1. workmanlike - worthy of a good workman; "a competent job"; "the book is a workmanlike job with chronology and bibliography and index"

It's a perfectly valid statement, although you get the impression they may have been going for something more along the line of utilitarian or functional.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Drinky Crow said:
adj.

I read it as womanlike. twice.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Played around with it for quite a bit today. Nice kit of hardware. I'd have to say it's like a portable Dreamcast where polygonal rendering is concerned, but it's got some spiffy effects the DC wasn't capable of without some serous chug. My main gripe is that there are probably four games that will appeal to the US market right now. Of course, that will change with time. It's surprisingly light, though I really can't remember how heavy the DS was to say which is lighter. Of course, battery life and price are still the big concerns.

M3wThr33

Banned
satterfield said:
Played around with it for quite a bit today. Nice kit of hardware. I'd have to say it's like a portable Dreamcast where polygonal rendering is concerned, but it's got some spiffy effects the DC wasn't capable of without some serous chug. My main gripe is that there are probably four games that will appeal to the US market right now. Of course, that will change with time. It's surprisingly light, though I really can't remember how heavy the DS was to say which is lighter. Of course, battery life and price are still the big concerns.

If you've been able to play around with a hardware kit, you've been able to see the battery life yourself, or does it need an AC adapter at all times?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My main gripe is that there are probably four games that will appeal to the US market right now. Of course, that will change with time.
I kinda felt the same way about the lineup, but it's the Japanese show, and some very notable western developed games are missing (most obvious being all EA titles, Wipeout, Mercury, Deatj Jr., Infection and others.)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Certainly all of the display units are hooked up to an alternate power source. It wouldn't be much good them running out of juice during the show.

neptunes

PSP.jpg

Headphones by the way.

But for now, the PSP is certainly the most eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing of the two.

Goddamn right!

Edit: Anyways, I wish that Sony would use the nice soft plastic that was used in the original GBA, rather than this fingerprint-smudged reflective shit.

Also, out of curiosity, are the shoulder buttons transparent, or are they just metal prongs or something? I can't make sense of it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I think models handed out by those girls walking around the show were battery powered, with no external battery or anything.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
M3wThr33 said:
If you've been able to play around with a hardware kit, you've been able to see the battery life yourself, or does it need an AC adapter at all times?

theres no way to judge battery life at the show considering the games arent running off of umd.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder how did gamespot reporter figured out that the games are running off the memory stick and not the UMD? I remember readin at IGN the other day that the demo units they were using were actually running games off the UMD - that they could pull them out, and back in and play, etc.

snapty00

Banned
Yeah, that screen really is mind-blowing. I mean, it's hard to believe a camera even got a clear screenshot like that. Usually, when you take a screenshot of a TFT even squarely, it'll have a hazey, blurry look to it.

jett

D-Member
That screen is going to get FUCK OWNED if the unit doesn't ship with a protective case of some sort.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, that screen really is mind-blowing. I mean, it's hard to believe a camera even got a clear screenshot like that. Usually, when you take a screenshot of a TFT even squarely, it'll have a hazey, blurry look to it.
Not to mention the shot seems to be made with a flash, which is usually a sure way to get pretty much nothing when photographing TFT screens.

My friend's old sony clie' has this nice, thin rubber flap thing to protect the screen. I think it would be a perfect solution for keeping the screen scratch-free. I don't know much about PDA's, but I'm willing to bet sony has some accessory cooked up to solve this obvious issue.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jett said:
That screen is going to get FUCK OWNED if the unit doesn't ship with a protective case of some sort.

Don't hold your breath on that. ;) I'm sure 3rd parties'll be right there at launch with cases though.

Soul4ger

It does say they played it at E3... So they're not comparing it to the new model DS, they're comparing it to the larger one from May. I just hope they both play well.

The first thing that struck us about the PSP is its natural feel. Frankly, we haven't laid our hands on hardware that's been such a good fit since the original Game Boy Advance, and the PSP's svelte ergonomics bodes well for the countless hours we expect to lose playing games on it. Our affectations were also stolen by the screen which is easily the most impressive display we've seen on a handheld gaming system. The lit screen is a perfect showcase for the stunning visuals being cranked out by many PSP games, and maintains a crisp display from nearly any angle. The hordes of lights and camera flashes on the units did little to obscure our vision while playing the game. The widescreen configuration and the screen light are a winning combination that breaks new ground on portable hardware, and shows that more than a few people over at Sony are forward-thinking.

This just sounds too fucking good to be true. I can't wait.

jett said:

Isn't this the cover for the screen?

lrg.aspx

Top Bottom