• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - PSP Hands on Impressions

AnIco

mrklaw said:
mmm. Running games off memory sticks...Please leave that functionality in Sony

Duos go up to 1GB, but you can actually plug in full sized ones, and they just stick out a bit - those go up to 2GB - just right for a UMD game :)
That's the first thing thing that caught my eye in that particular article. Depending on the modifications required to the PSP, the emulation possibilities are tremendous. Imagine a handheld capable of emulating perfectly the SNES, PSone, N64, GBA, DS and the rest :).

ourumov said:
I am not pro-piracy, I like to collect games.
However, I would like to use the power of PSP to have a decent SNES/PSX emulator :)

Well, seeing that there's no licensed SNES/PSX ROMs to run on PSP, distributing the ROMs for SNES/PSX games to play on PSP is piracy, so, if you support the play of SNES/PSX games on PSP then you support piracy. :p

Gamespot said:
The first thing that struck us about the PSP is its natural feel. Frankly, we haven't laid our hands on hardware that's been such a good fit since the original Game Boy Advance

HAHAHAHAHA. Are they serious? The ORIGINAL GBA? That thing cramped my hands after half an hour of playing.

snapty00

Banned
Is the GBA-cartridge connector patented?

Regardless of whether it is or not, I would be really interesting if someone made a slot for PSP to connect GBA and GB games to, with GBA and GB emulator software built into the connector. It'd make the PSP more backwards-compatible than DS is! :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
snapty00 said:
Is the GBA-cartridge connector patented?

Regardless of whether it is or not, I would be really interesting if someone made a slot for PSP to connect GBA and GB games to, with GBA and GB emulator software built into the connector. It'd make the PSP more backwards-compatible than DS is! :D

It would also get that "someone" jailed. :)

snapty00

Banned
Maybe someone can make it privately and put the directions on the Internet. I'd really love that. I'm guessing that the GBA connector, in comparison to the DS connector, is comparatively simple.

GaimeGuy

snapty00 said:
Maybe someone can make it privately and put the directions on the Internet. I'd really love that. I'm guessing that the GBA connector, in comparison to the DS connector, is comparatively simple.

Dude, you can't just make a slot and automatically have GBA games working on the PSP. -_-

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't really get how the PSP looks "sexy". It looks like my DVD player remote with a gigantic screen in the middle. Where there isn't screen, they've crammed as many buttons as possible. It looks a lot more functionally designed to me than the new NDS model does. "Sexy" would be one of the last adjectives I'd think of to describe the PSP.

GaimeGuy

Dan said:
I don't really get how the PSP looks "sexy". It looks like my DVD player remote with a gigantic screen in the middle. Where there isn't screen, they've crammed as many buttons as possible. It looks a lot more functionally designed to me than the new NDS model does. "Sexy" would be one of the last adjectives I'd think of to describe the PSP.

Because they made the thing so fucking shiny, probably.

Think about it: if it didn't have the shine like new cars do, would it be considered so sexy?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
GaimeGuy:

> Think about it: if it didn't have the shine like new cars do, would it be considered so sexy?

Good point. The problem with making it so shiny however is that starts looking really nasty after a short while. It does make for some pretty pictures though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
...it appears that they were running games off of a Sony memory stick.

oh man, if the final psp can boot code from memory sticks, even if through a modchip or software exploit or whatever, the psp will instantly go from "nifty gadget" to "messiah in portable form." imagine the emulation possiblities. it'd be like having a wee modded xbox and hdtv in your pocket. and a divx movie player might be even cooler than that. there are already 1GB memory sticks out there...imagine carrying around the best games from nes through playstation, and then swapping in another stick with 3 or 4 full-length movies, or a bunch of episodes of a television series. i really shouldn't get my hopes up like this. :/

GaimeGuy said:
Because they made the thing so fucking shiny, probably.

Think about it: if it didn't have the shine like new cars do, would it be considered so sexy?

Actually I thought it was that idea that you can wear it around the neck. It'll help with that certain size compensation.

Anywho, GT4 PSP > Reflective Black. They really need to just dump that logo.

digit

From PSP Hands On:
"Just below the buttons is what we originally thought was an analog-stick style disc but, we couldn't get a good feel for how responsive it is."

From Metal Gear Acid Hands On:
"The two shoulder buttons rotated the camera around in set intervals, while the analog controller--which is really a sliding disc, since it doesn't tilt--could fine-tune the camera angle in all directions so you could get a better view of your surroundings."

So there's no real analog control on the PSP, just the sliding disc. You've still got to use the directional pad for movement.

Deg

Banned
DarthWufei said:
Actually I thought it was that idea that you can wear it around the neck. It'll help with that certain size compensation.

People wont wear it around the neck. Maybe hardcore gamers will do but the rest wont.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
digit said:
So there's no real analog control on the PSP, just the sliding disc. You've still got to use the directional pad for movement.
analog=multiple levels of sensitivity
digital = only detects two levels - on and off

a sliding disc can still be an analog form of control.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mrklaw said:
Duos go up to 1GB, but you can actually plug in full sized ones, and they just stick out a bit - those go up to 2GB - just right for a UMD game :)
Are you sure about this? Duo MemSticks are smaller than standard Memsticks in every dimension, not just the length, so a standard sized MemStick shouldn't even be able to fit in a Duo-sized slot.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kaching said:
a sliding disc can still be an analog form of control.

And indeed, it is.

You have to think about it as your standard stick, but with a pivot right where the stick joins the disc. This is to allow the latter to stay parallel to the console surface without the need to have the analog stick sticking (sorry) out of the system. Quite a smart solution if u ask me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
shpankey said:
Damn, PSP is amazing looking. IMO it just looks much better than DS.

The PSP has really to be seen with your very eyes to be believed. And when you turn it off and see that screen in action personally it just owns you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kaching said:
Are you sure about this? Duo MemSticks are smaller than standard Memsticks in every dimension, not just the length, so a standard sized MemStick shouldn't even be able to fit in a Duo-sized slot.

Yeah, we were playing around with this at work (not with PSP specifically)

Most memory cards have push click mechanisms, so you push to lock, then push again to release. Most, if not all, have the locking mechanism on the leading edge of the card, just by the pins. This includes Memory Stick.

So you need an adaptor to plug short sticks into long slots, but long sticks will still fit short slots and lock into place. The only thing you have to worry about is if it has a little door that closes. I think PSP has a simple flap, so should be fine.

Miburou

PSP:

Dimensions: 170mm×74mm×23mm
Weight: 260g

DS:

Dimensions: 148.7mmx84.7mmx28.9mm
Weight: 275g

Going by volume, the DS is 25% bulkier than the PSP, and is slightly heavier.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Good point. The problem with making it so shiny however is that starts looking really nasty after a short while. It does make for some pretty pictures though.
Nice try, but my T616 cellphone is made out of same combination of materials (shiny black plastic + silver aluminium). I have it for about 10 months, carry it in pants pocket with no protection whatsoever, and it's looks just as, well, shiny and nice as it did on the first day I got it.

Brofist

ourumov said:
I am not thinking in piracy but in a whole world of emulation. Emulating snes, psx or even dc would be awesome :).

You know there would also be a GBA emu within a week :p

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Marconelly said:
I kinda felt the same way about the lineup, but it's the Japanese show, and some very notable western developed games are missing (most obvious being all EA titles, Wipeout, Mercury, Deatj Jr., Infection and others.)

I did get a chance to play some EA stuff that's not on the floor. Need for Speed and Tiger Woods are both tucked away inside EA's booth. Both games are extremely early. NFS has one track and some wicked clipping. Tiger has just one course so far and texture issues out the ying yang. Obviously, that's why both games are not being shown on the floor. NFS looks nice, though. Even has the street light reflections on the rain-soaked streets.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Marconelly said:
Nice try, but my T616 cellphone is made out of same combination of materials (shiny black plastic + silver aluminium). I have it for about 10 months, carry it in pants pocket with no protection whatsoever, and it's looks just as, well, shiny and nice as it did on the first day I got it.

Actually, I have that exact same phone and it's really smudgy. They even give you a cloth to clean your phone, so it's not exactly dirt proof. I have to clean my phone at least 2 times a day.

aoi tsuki

scej05.jpg

i'm a sucker for the MD-style disc door. They look so fragile and at first you gently slide your discs in, but after a while, you slide them in somewhat carelessly because they're so remarkably sturdy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually, I have that exact same phone and it's really smudgy. They even give you a cloth to clean your phone, so it's not exactly dirt proof. I have to clean my phone at least 2 times a day.
Then I guess you care too much about smudges :) I was actually talking about scratches. Smudges disappear the moment I wipe the phone over my shirt or some such cloth.

I did get a chance to play some EA stuff that's not on the floor. Need for Speed and Tiger Woods are both tucked away inside EA's booth. Both games are extremely early. NFS has one track and some wicked clipping. Tiger has just one course so far and texture issues out the ying yang. Obviously, that's why both games are not being shown on the floor.
Why don't you give impressions of some more games? What was Hot Shots Golf like compared to Tiger or PS2 version of HSG? I thought HSG looked very nice in the trailer video. What about Lumines? Did you figure out what you have to do to change the music during gameplay?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Maybe not if all you've ever seen are the crappy amateur photos made using flash under bad lighting conditions, and of units that hundreds of people already passed through the hands. However:

PSP1.jpg

PSP2.jpg

There's just something very solid and commanding about it's design, IMO. Something that makes it obvious that you have an expensive, high tech, overengineered thing in front of you.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Marconelly said:
Maybe not if all you've ever seen are the crappy amateur photos made using flash under bad lighting conditions, and of units that hundreds of people already passed through the hands.
Well, sure, but what doesn't look pretty good when it's mint out of a box and under a professional lighting rig and photographed with expensive cameras? It's not going to look like that in someone's living room. I also don't think it really matters how many people touch it. If someone buys the damned thing they'll be touching it just as much.

Something that makes it obvious that you have an expensive, high tech, overengineered thing in front of you.
I can't disagree there. It does look expensive and overengineered. I don't see "sexy" as a synonym of any of those descriptors though. It just seems like people are really, really sensationalizing this things looks. "OMG!!!!11! It's shiny and has a big screen! Teh sex!" I dunno, guess it doesn't matter. I'm not buying this or the NDS.

Miburou

What then would you call sexy? Anything that's curvy and sleek (and black) is usually thought of as being sexy. The PSP is a hell of a lot more sexy than any handheld before it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
played today at last.

The PSP is very very very sexy, main point of sexiness being the absolutely utterly unbelievably good screen. It's just flawless... utterly beautiful.

TGS was SHITE this year with very little to get excited about, PSP being the main highlight for me even though most of the games were very ropey. That Konami FPS being particularly disappointing.

the Mizuguchi game, although simple, was amazing fun. The music is fantastic (awesome sound out of the PSP too).

One odd thing in the literature - it mentions support for the Duo pro memory stick, but then it mentions that the to-be-used with PSP add on the 32 mg card - it mentions no other size.
Now, i'm sure it's just an oversite, or perhaps they are saying "we will do a 32 meg, PSP launch specific card" but if sony do something retarded like limit which size cards you can use, then that would be disappointing.

PSP love x1000000000000

Brofist

cybamerc said:
If wonder if the analog pad is going to scratch the surface.

it shoudn't..it shifts from side to side AFAIK. DCharlie can explain better having played it I guess..

Brofist

DCharlie said:
played today at last.

The PSP is very very very sexy, main point of sexiness being the absolutely utterly unbelievably good screen. It's just flawless... utterly beautiful.

TGS was SHITE this year with very little to get excited about, PSP being the main highlight for me even though most of the games were very ropey. That Konami FPS being particularly disappointing.

the Mizuguchi game, although simple, was amazing fun. The music is fantastic (awesome sound out of the PSP too).

One odd thing in the literature - it mentions support for the Duo pro memory stick, but then it mentions that the to-be-used with PSP add on the 32 mg card - it mentions no other size.
Now, i'm sure it's just an oversite, or perhaps they are saying "we will do a 32 meg, PSP launch specific card" but if sony do something retarded like limit which size cards you can use, then that would be disappointing.

PSP love x1000000000000

did you get a feel for what people thought about it....or in other words how many times did you hear sugoi :)

DCharlie

"did you get a feel for what people thought about it....or in other words how many times did you hear sugoi"

I went to the PSP stand three times. When i first got there, i thought "uh, oh, i'm gonna have to queue for hours to see this thing..." - now granted there were a good number of machines, but the queues were only 3-4 people deep for everything except for ridge and Musou, which had about 10 people. This is a far cry from having to queue two hours to play the GBA at Space world. Saying that , over at Konami, there were long queues for Ac!d stretching a fair way.

I'm pretty sure everyone who played on the PSP was left in awe of it in terms of how it feels as a piece of hardware. The games though, apart from the odd one or two, aren't anything too special at the moment (things look nice, but it's nothing that hasn't been seen before albeit in a portable form) although i expect some great games to come eventually.
I did here a few japanese people and a few kids mention that they thought the unit felt "heavy". That might be interesting, as the DS weighs around the same (a little more i believe) so if it's unweildy , it might be a mild issue. Felt fine to me, obviously heavier than the GBA SP and GBA.

The buttons felt good, the triggers felt especially good, analogue stick was hardly used in anything , but i had a fiddle with it anyways. The Start button is in a kind of odd place that might make emergency pauses a little tricky, but everything is nice.

Also, being the scummer that i am , i stuck my greasy fingers all over the screen to see how it affected the view. Obviously, it collected on the surface, but a quick wipe off and it was clear as crystal again.

The screen just has to be seen to believed.... i mean, jesus. It's so good - crisp, sharp, no apparent altered colours/washed out effect from the back light, nothing. I could find nothing wrong at all with the screen. Nothing. It's like a perfect plane of glass. I tried to see how reflections would affect it in the sony booth, but there were only slight areas of full light, but i could see zero reflections from what little light was there. Not exactly the most scientific test in the world, but , hey, at least i looked for it.

On the dev front, I've had a few conversations with devs who have mentioned that , although coding the PSP is tantamount to console dev, dev teams are still being offered "handheld" rates to create PSP content, and the quality of games will be reflected thus. That's a shame, but hopefully if the PSP takes off sufficiently enough, then that might change. Some of the gmaes do look like real stinkers, but i guess that'll all be part of the "launch tax" (the rash of games that are insanely shitty, but you end up picking up in the mad rush of launch day, but later regret bothering with....), but Minna no Golf, Ridge, and Lumines look to be good. Tokyo highway battle looks pretty good too, especially when compared to Need for speed a few screens down which looks pretty bad at the moment. Musou - i think i'm musou'ed out... Coded Arms was a massive disappointment. Seeing it in action made a mockery of the screen shots. I didn't play, but people who did try it said they were less than impressed, although the assumption is that a lot of these games are early in dev.

Anyways, now all that remains are the final two thorny issues for sony : Price and battery life. I did intend to just stand next to the girls with the PSPs tied to them and monitor when they went off the floor. I saw quite a few of the girls going in and out, but guaging the battery life from that would be impossible and foolish.

On the subject of games and spaced releases which Kutaragi mentioned (and hopefully won't lead to the delay of the machine) , Sonys own advertising at the show seemed to counter this thought - a video on one of the big PSP mock up screens showed a date counter going from i-missed-when until Dev 2005 , with a second counter showing number of games released. The number was flying up until at the end the figure was well over the hundred barrier. Mixed messages it would seem, or perhaps delaying tactics to make sure all the rough edges to the PSP package are knocked out (ie: more launch titles, UMD business in place, downloadable content established).

One thing to say about the hardware though, even if the PSP turns out to be 33,000, given the tech and (especially) the quality of the machine, that looks to be more than a bit of a steal. Obviously the games and content need to be improved, but hell... colour me very impressed indeed so far.

The only other thorny issue (and this is just negative speculation) is the fact that only the 32meg mem stick is listed as an add on. I'm sure the PSP will be able to handle more than 32 meg, but on the other hand, it maybe a pseudo anti piracy measure to try to prevent games whole-sale being run from the mem-stick in the first place, or to limit the extent of downloadable content to protect UMDs (initially?). I doubt that scenario personally, but sony have had a bit of a bad run and some weird decissions/news of late - i couldn't rule it out 100%. But hell - i think that's just the doom-monger in me.

But yeah, i can't wait to play more of Lumines - the music was fantastic, the game simple and addictive, and the graphics stylish and funky.

Also, the anologue pad isn't going to scratch the surface, it doesn't touch and the amount it moves isn't big enough to reveal anything anyways. It feels very nice by the way.

wow - turned into a bit of a long rant! apologies.

Deg

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Expensive and high-tech have always been synonymous with "sexy" in the realm of electronic gadgets.

This is true. Although not in many cases. But has little do with looks.

Miburou said:
What then would you call sexy? Anything that's curvy and sleek (and black) is usually thought of as being sexy. The PSP is a hell of a lot more sexy than any handheld before it.

This is not true.

Brofist

Good impressions! Sounds like the best thing Sony could do is send a bunch of PSP demo setups to the major retailers...maybe once people are able to see the hardware, the price will seem reasonable. Anyway Japanese seem to have no problem dropping money for decent tech, on the average even more than most Americans..I can see it moving.

Games sound reasonable for 1st gen/launch type stuff. Can't expect too much at this stage, next year this time however there better be some stuff pushing the hardware more..

As far as the 32 meg thing, Sony is probably doing some PSP version Memory Stick or something to that effect...doubt it's a limit. Or maybe it will be packed with a 32 MB stick (yeah right :p).

seanoff

holy shit, for dcharlie to rave about it, its go to be OK!!

So $300 is an ok price then.

What if it comes in @ $225 - $250?

DCharlie

"As far as the 32 meg thing, Sony is probably doing some PSP version Memory Stick or something to that effect...doubt it's a limit. Or maybe it will be packed with a 32 MB stick (yeah right :p)."

yeah, that's my take on it. It's for the launch so that when you buy your PSP, you can get a 32 meg card so you aren't going home with no save abililty.

Deg

Banned
seanoff said:
holy shit, for dcharlie to rave about it, its go to be OK!!

So $300 is an ok price then.

What if it comes in @ $225 - $250?

Yeah probably. $230 or something max IMO. Memory card seperate however.

DCharlie

"What if it comes in @ $225 - $250?"

brown trousers at the back
wet trousers at the front

:)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Leave it to Sony to bring memory cards to the handheld scene.... $300 for PSP + $35 for memory card or no saves 4 U! :(

Top Bottom