• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Yonafunu

I'm glad things seem to be looking up for you guys though, with the new office and stuff. I'm still coming to terms with Elyse leaving, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

https://twitter.com/elysewillems/status/667125933535399937

not sure if this was already known, but man what a bummer.

troy_why.gif

But, at least we'll always have this:
WHqLRBp.gif

Thought I'd mention that Don's little speech at the end of the Sherlock stream was excellent and really well said, especially for off the cuff.

This. It was a touching farewell. Now I'm getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Some of the best stuff GT did was organized by Elyse (Pajama Party, Battle of the Bands). The other guys there are great but they seem less...organized. Wish her the best wherever she's headed.

Vinc

I obviously don't know what I'm talking about or if that's even true, but despite all the moves, I feel pretty grateful that Defy brought them in. I think they do realize that they have something special on their hands considering they've been keeping things running for a long while. I don't know if GT is profitable or not, but they certainly do deserve more views considering the quality of the product they put out. If they're not, I'm just glad Defy keeps it going with good staff stability. Elyse leaving on her own terms is great, and I really hope she has an amazing time wherever she's headed. Having watched GT for so long, I feel pretty confident saying that her new coworkers will be extremely lucky to have her! I'll definitely check out whatever content comes out of her new job. I do hope she makes an appearance on GT Live once in a while if it's at all possible.

Mmm, last year on GT time Brandon was saying he didn't care that the Smash roster leaked because character reveals for fighting games aren't big deals and this week he's saying Clouds reveal is a bigger deal than a new game announcement and how he loves Smash reveal trailers. Found that a little weird, especially with how upset Bosman was that the roster leaked and Brandon then convinced him it wasn't important.

Mmm, last year on GT time Brandon was saying he didn't care that the Smash roster leaked because character reveals for fighting games aren't big deals and this week he's saying Clouds reveal is a bigger deal than a new game announcement and how he loves Smash reveal trailers. Found that a little weird, especially with how upset Bosman was that the roster leaked and Brandon then convinced him it wasn't important.

yeah but that was a bunch of nintendo characters, not cloud

I haven't finished GT Time yet but I love Kyle and Blood making the silly counterpoints to Huber's argument about BF having only 4 unique aesthetics.

Edit:

After finishing I gotta say I like the discussion about review scores (especially in light of the RT shenanigans). Time for bets is always great, even if it's short. I liked the little bonus behind the scenes footage.

Vinc

This GT Time episode was crucially imperative.

Pretty hyped to see the new site, I wonder when that'll be live.

The "SS" comment by Ian was this episode's Doc Brown spider monster.

Burt

This You're the One Who Started This Conversation needs to be put into a popup disclaimer on the front page of every single game website ever and mandatory viewing before posting in review threads.

eFKac

Just finished watching GT Time.

First thing. Hopefully someone corrects Jones, cause he made a huge mistake for a self proclaimed Star Wars fan! Han Solo is definitely not the only Jedi/force sensitive in all the films to use a lightsaber.
Brandon forgot or didn't know that General Grievous used lightsabers and he was neither a Jedi nor a force sensitive. It's actually the perfect counterpoint to the theory that you have to be use the force to wield a lightsaber, since Grievous was also known as one of the most dangerous duelists of his time and manage to use 4 lightsabers at once.

Really liked the review process talk, that was cool. Also Jones had the perfect last word :-D

Kyle is apparently in possesion of one of the legendary "Potato camera's", and made his traditional hard cut on Brandon's victory scream :-/

ito007

This GT Time episode was crucially imperative.

Pretty hyped to see the new site, I wonder when that'll be live.

The "SS" comment by Ian was this episode's Doc Brown spider monster.
That SS comment really struck me. I'm surprised by how casually they mentioned that considering the eyes that may be on the show.

eFKac

Didn't griveous have a jedi heart?

No, his internals like brain, heart and eyes were his own.

He got a blood transfusion from Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas that saved his life but it was specifically mentioned that Grievous was disapointed that it did not provide him a connection to the force even though it naturally had midi-chlorians in it.

That said, all those things were in works from Expanded Universe iirc, so who knows if Disney would want to change something in their new Canon.

But as it is now, he surely was not Force sensitive.

/end nerdy Star Wars talk :p

Mikey Jr.

About the new thing they are teasing. You know what I think it is?

GT getting rid of their crappy player and moving it straight to YouTube. I would have done this a LONG time ago. The video quality in their player is complete dogshit. Everything about that player is dogshit.

I don't even go to their website anymore. I just sub to them on youtube. I would go back if it plays yt videos straight on their website.

SS comment?

When talking about perfect 10/10 games (specifically the Super Mario Galaxy portion I think) Ian mentions SS. He is not referring to the historical SS but someone that used to work at Gametrailers. If you want to follow the trail of clues to solve the riddle, go watch just about any episode of the previous GT podcast: invisible walls.

As unfortunate as it is, you just can't pronounce it like he did, multiple times. I did a double take when he did.

Given being from a country having partook with Nazi germany I'm probably much more sensitive to stuff like that.

UrbanRats

Just finished watching GT Time.

First thing. Hopefully someone corrects Jones, cause he made a huge mistake for a self proclaimed Star Wars fan! Han Solo is definitely not the only Jedi/force sensitive in all the films to use a lightsaber.
Brandon forgot or didn't know that General Grievous used lightsabers and he was neither a Jedi nor a force sensitive. It's actually the perfect counterpoint to the theory that you have to be use the force to wield a lightsaber, since Grievous was also known as one of the most dangerous duelists of his time and manage to use 4 lightsabers at once.

Really liked the review process talk, that was cool. Also Jones had the perfect last word :-D

Kyle is apparently in possesion of one of the legendary "Potato camera's", and made his traditional hard cut on Brandon's victory scream :-/
Prequels aren't canon, duh.

When talking about perfect 10/10 games (specifically the Super Mario Galaxy portion I think) Ian mentions SS. He is not referring to the historical SS but someone that used to work at Gametrailers. If you want to follow the trail of clues to solve the riddle, go watch just about any episode of the previous GT podcast: invisible walls.

Oh, Shane? I'm pretty sure everyone has (Ian especially) brought up how dissatisfied and unhappy everyone was with that era of GameTrailers. It's absolutely come up on MU and GT Time in the past year. Any time Game of the Year awards come up, people groan haha.

Vinc

About the new thing they are teasing. You know what I think it is?

GT getting rid of their crappy player and moving it straight to YouTube. I would have done this a LONG time ago. The video quality in their player is complete dogshit. Everything about that player is dogshit.

I don't even go to their website anymore. I just sub to them on youtube. I would go back if it plays yt videos straight on their website.

I wonder if they get more money per view on the site than YT though... but being under the Defy umbrella might change things.

Oh, Shane? I'm pretty sure everyone has (Ian especially) brought up how dissatisfied and unhappy everyone was with that era of GameTrailers. It's absolutely come up on MU and GT Time in the past year. Any time Game of the Year awards come up, people groan haha.

I don't know, I don't necessarily get that vibe. I think Ian was just expressing disagreement with that review process. I don't think it was meant to be flat out mean.

I wonder if they get more money per view on the site than YT though... but being under the Defy umbrella might change things.

I don't know, I don't necessarily get that vibe. I think Ian was just expressing disagreement with that review process. I don't think it was meant to be flat out mean.

I just went back through their list to see what it was. 2009 they gave Modern Warfare 2 game of the year. Nominees were Assassin's Creed 2, Arkham Asylum, Modern Warfare 2, Street Fighter IV and Uncharted 2. It's one of those most downvoted videos in GT history.

I'm going off my fuzzy memory as I'm not about to crawl through 52 episodes of GT Time from the past year, but Kyle often tries to push past the topic whenever it comes up. Whenever someone mentions GOTY, Call of Duty, or Modern Warfare 2, people start to groan, look around awkwardly, and then Kyle tries to push past it.

I'm not saying Kyle is doing the wrong thing as it's not very relevant to any conversation. But GT is in a better and more respectable place now that Shane isn't in charge. I have nothing against the guy personally, and I kind of like the concept his new media service, but that GOTY choice really did some damage back then.

EDIT:

Whoops. I think we're making two different points and I'm talking to the wind. To go to your point specifically, I don't think Ian has any real hate towards Shane, just general dissatisfaction with the scoring process and Shane's direction at that time.

I'm putting off watching the Elyse Farewell Stream because then it'll be real and final. Hopefully they upload the latest FF7 archive soon so I have something to pick me up afterwards.

ito007

It just makes it an insanely awkward situation for me whenever they mention Shane in a negative way on the show. It also makes me wonder if Shane is watching. I shouldn't think that way but I can't help it.

Burt

Err... I've gotten an unskippable 2 minute ad for Nexplanon on Gametrailers.com at least twice in the last two days. If this is by design, I'm gonna have to go straight YT.

Also, Jones with the "Crano" Trigger in the Top 10.

When they had Shane on GT live and he started shitting on Bloodborne, the look Ian gave was just perfect. Perfect!

Also, Jones with the "Crano" Trigger in the Top 10.

Call me crazy but I've always pronounced it that way, if only because I pronounce "chronological" the same way (and have never heard it differently from anyone). "Chrono" in both cases seems to be used in the same context, basically meaning "time".

But I could be wrong.

Top Bottom