• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Auctopus

Thought I'd mention that Don's little speech at the end of the Sherlock stream was excellent and really well said, especially for off the cuff.

Drencrom

Elyse leaving GT is really saddening, love her personality and she brought up things the other GT members didn't and usually had a different perspective in discussions which I really appreciated.

Just the fact that there aren't any women on the GT crew now is a real bummer...

Glad to hear this was her decision tho and that she's out to do other great things!

We'll probably keep doing some kind of thing with ManUps but it will have to change, since we'll have to find a way to do it with the spirit missing. Elyse is the greatest and she's going to continue to be the greatest over at the place she's going to go be great at now!

Whatever we do now with the show I, and the rest of us, will strive to do the best we can to live up to Elyse's awesomeness.

That's the spirit, I really needed to hear that :)

I love ManUps and will definitely miss her as she's a big part of what made the show what it is, but I do look forward to see what she'll work on in the future and how you and GT will continue ManUps!

Vinc

Yeah Don is the greatest. I just love this crew and hate to see them lose another important pillar at GT. They're way too talented to fail though, so I really do believe that they can still grow despite this. They're bound to blow up at some point. They truly have a uniquely and knowledgeable panel.

Drencrom

Lately has just been hard to be a GT fan without having to worry constantly, with the lay offs, the reduced space, the reduced number of shows and such... It has been a paranoia fueling year and a half, and I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for the folks actually, directly affected by all this.

I feel you, I always fear that GT will get disbanded, that someone will get laid off or that they're getting less office/studio space when there's talk about "acquisitions", "office moves" etc. So used to it at this point.

Vinc

I feel you, I always fear that GT will get disbanded, that someone will get laid off or that they're getting less office/studio space when there's talk about "acquisitions", "office moves" etc. So used to it at this point.

It kinda became part of the lore. I certainly could do without it though, I want stability for these folks.

Rikkun

Oh man, this sucks so much. Man Ups Nights is my favourite show after Huber Hype. Will she get to do one last episode or is it effective immediately?

Best of luck to her anyways, I'll keep an eye on what she'll end up doing.

Auctopus

Gametrailers and its community has always felt so tight knit. Losing a staff member/creator feels like losing a pillar.

I trust that GT will only continue to rise but each of the guys has such a unique personality that adds up to the group and losing Elyse is a real blow :(

Such a funny and unique member of the industry.

wiibomb

Can't believe Elyse is going, so sad to see the GT crew shrink once more.. I hope this doesn't continue.

in any case, the only good thing is she actually didn't got fired, she went by her will and I wish her the best of luck in her new job

You're not the only one to express this sentiment.

Though i admit that my passion for games in the years has decreased significantly, so that may have a part in this.

That's how I feel. I still play games, I like them and they're still a hobby, but I don't visit any news sites or community forums, I don't read/watch reviews and I don't buy all the latest releases day one anymore. Reading the headlines on the gaming side is enough for me. Even then, only the topics about some drama or screw ups in the industry are the ones that interest me. That's why GT Time and Mandatory Update really speak to me. One offers a good moderated discussion about news in the industry with people that have different opinions/views and the other format jokes about it. That's perfect for me and all I really want.

I've said it before, but GT as a whole stands out for me, because they don't have this constant negativity and cynicism going on. "Fuck this", "fuck that", "booo [publisher]", "everything suuuuucks!" That's what made me less and less interested in gaming as a whole in the first place. The fact that we now have Huber Hype, a show that isn't really for me, instead of Angry Gamer (or whatever Beer's show was) is awesome.

Best of luck to Elyse in her new job. It's definitely good to hear that she left on her own. It's going to be sad not having her around for ManUps and GT Live. :(

aly

I just found out about Elyse. I'm gonna miss her at GT, but I also wish her the best of luck at her new job!

sora87

Damnit, Ian and Kyle said on the stream there will probably never be another Tabletop Adventure, WILL THE BAD NEWS NEVER ENDDDDD

Burt

I doubt it is, they've said multiple time how bad the views were.

Such a shame if true. I've looked around but haven't been able to find a D&D campaign that's nearly as entertaining. Like, I've sat through Critical Role on Twitch a few times, and it's... fine, but nowhere near the highs of TTA. It could probably use a little bit of editing on the backend to keep the pace up at points and/or insert some smarmy Don's Design Lab-style cuts and could definitely use more consistency in terms of getting videos out regularly, but I dunno, it's still pretty fantastic. And I did episode 17 to the end before I touched the front half because they don't have them uploaded on YT for some reason.

UrbanRats

I doubt it is, they've said multiple time how bad the views were.

it was the most difficult show to get into, I saw it had about 35 episodes, that is too much to keep up with and even worse if some (like myself) don't understand what the hell was going on

There are many solutions to that.
I myself were not interested in it for those very reason, until they did the recap episode, and then it quickly became my favorite thing on the site.
Even the Fiasco episode were mostly amazing.

If they don't feel up to do a massive campaign like that, they could still do weekly or bi-weekly tabletop games nights.

Tigermave

Neo Member
Part of me wonders if the initiative to get people to update their contact info on the site means something big, like a name change, might be on the way. Or was that explored during the initiatial Defy transitioned and squashed? I wasn't following closely around that time :(

Vinc

I never watched Tabletop despite watching pretty much everything else GT makes at this point. I just never looked into tabletop and don't really understand what it is. I'll marathon them very soon.

Btw, rewatching the "I could care less" episode of The Final Bosman reminded me that it has one of the greatest endings of all time. Now I need to find the one with Kyle following the trail of candy leading to Elyse revealing that he can't spell. That one was legendary too.

I'm starting to see a trend in my favorite bonus bits.

Part of me wonders if the initiative to get people to update their contact info on the site means something big, like a name change, might be on the way. Or was that explored during the initiatial Defy transitioned and squashed? I wasn't following closely around that time :(

There was a rumor floating around that when Defy purchased GT from Viacom, a new website would be on the way. Not sure about a total rebranding, though.

UrbanRats

I'm assuming a new player.
The email thing is probably to have people who only watch their videos through YouTube/twitch, to be aware of the change.

wiibomb

time for ben-kun to step up and get his own show

ben definitely needs to have his own show, a kind of show of exploration of japanese niche games.. that would be amazing...

I also wanted to hear more from matt blair, but I guess he would not be ready to take a whole show by himself

X-Factor

Gametrailers is my favourite video games media site.

IGN was always 2nd but even a good group of their core left to do kindafunny.
Nowadays the only thing I check at IGN are game reviews and Naomi Kyle's daily fixes.

Sad to see Elyse leave but hopefully it works out for the better for her wherever she goes.

Visceir

Wonder if all the drama going on with other gaming news outlets will get discussed on GT Time. Would make for an interesting/fun episode for sure.

Well You're The One Who STARTED This Conversation!

To me the video felt like incoherent rambling of a huge Bethesda games fan who contradicts himself in the same video. The discussion was all over the place and I'm not even sure what the point of the video was...other than "must churn out as many f4 videos as possible!"

Write a good review and there's no need for additional clarification videos.

I take it you don't like me very much.

Top Bottom