• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with Bradon's "Final Fantasy fans should be grateful they are getting a remake at all" remarks on Twitter. Really? Grateful? Come on man.

I'm the first to agree that the outrage at this point is way overblown (at least as long as people have no idea how those "episodes" will look like) but people should be "grateful" that a company is making a product at all?
It's not like we get the game for free. Come on. And don't say "But it's a game a lot of people want", well that doesn't mean those people don't have any right to criticise the game at all.
At what point do people not need to be grateful anymore and can complain about things?

Burt

This thread feels like it's on course for Gametrailers: Civil War

*cross fingers for an Elyse Spider-Woman cameo*

Have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with Bradon's "Final Fantasy fans should be grateful they are getting a remake at all" remarks on Twitter. Really? Grateful? Come on man.

I'm the first to agree that the outrage at this point is way overblown (at least as long as people have no idea how those "episodes" will look like) but people should be "grateful" that a company is making a product at all?
It's not like we get the game for free. Come on. And don't say "But it's a game a lot of people want", well that doesn't mean those people don't have any right to criticise the game at all.
At what point do people not need to be grateful anymore and can complain about things?

You have to be pretty generous with your opinions to believe that they aren't being exploitative of people's excitement and nostalgia. Which isn't a terrible thing to do in small doses (it's the reason we're getting the remake in the first place, after all), but you have to draw a line somewhere. It'd be like the Vader and Skywalker Disney Infinity toys being $50 each.

We need Full Playtrough Friday with Ben and Huber when DL:EE comes out so everybody wins. And these two actually commit to playing the damn game!

UrbanRats

That's always weird argument to make, yeah.

I guess you can be grateful of something like Witcher 2 anhanced edition being free, but this? SE has been in a creative swamp for a while now, and this is not much more than them trying to pull their heads out of their ass.

That said, i personally don't have a problem with the episode thing, as long as it is handled in a decent manner, and i've already made a couple of posts about it in the dedicated thread.

Basically, producing a game of that entity is a massive thing, and this FF7 seems more like something to appease that specific vocal crowd, rather than a flagship title, like FFXV could be.

So in that sense, people shouldn't be "grateful" but definitely consider the silver lining, in the fact that this game wasn't a given at all, and it was bound to come with some compromises.

In a perfect world... but in a perfect world Shenmue 3 wouldn't have been a 6 million dollars Kickstarter, but a 100 million dollars game. ;)
Such is life.

That's always weird argument to make, yeah.

I guess you can be grateful of something like Witcher 2 anhanced edition being free, but this? SE has been in a creative swamp for a while now, and this is not much more than them trying to pull their heads out of their ass.

That said, i personally don't have a problem with the episode thing, as long as it is handled in a decent manner, and i've already made a couple of posts about it in the dedicated thread.

Basically, producing a game of that entity is a massive thing, and this FF7 seems more like something to appease that specific vocal crowd, rather than a flagship title, like FFXV could be.

So in that sense, people shouldn't be "grateful" but definitely consider the silver lining, in the fact that this game wasn't a given at all, and it was bound to come with some compromises.

In a perfect world... but in a perfect world Shenmue 3 wouldn't have been a 6 million dollars Kickstarter, but a 100 million dollars game. ;)
Such is life.

Are you kidding? Of course it's a flagship title, just look at who they've got developing it. The problem is that FFVII is such an enormous game that the level of detail they're developing it at is going to make the game extremely expensive and time consuming to develop. That's why they stopped making those kind of games in the first place, opting to put players on extremely linear paths (X and XIII) or constrain them to a relatively small area of a world (XII and XV). So when remaking VII, Square Enix were left with a decision, either cut a lot of content from the game or cut the game itself into different parts. IMO they made the right decision.

As an aside, I liked the PSX conference. It was probably 30 minutes too long but I liked most of what they showed. I think they needed to show the indie support after having very limited showings at E3 and PGW and I also think they needed to show all that VR support because up until this show, the software support didn't look great. Oh and Uncharted 4, FFVIIR, SFV and NNK2 were badass.

My biggest problem with it was the elephant in the room: PS2 Classics. I think it's bullshit Sony didn't at least provide discounts for owners of the PS3 versions.

Hasney

I mean, why do you think PS2 wasn't even mentioned? It finished slightly early, so I wonder if there was a plan to announce it on stage, but the leaks got such a backlash reaction online (not just GAF, which can sometimes be the case) that they just threw it on the blog.

Yeah, I'd bet that's exactly what happened. Otherwise they wouldn't have released them simultaneously with PSX. It's a pretty bad sign that they didn't see that coming because it should've been obvious. I only own a few PS2 Classics but even so, it's a bad look for the company because now I'm expecting the exact same thing to happen if PS1 Classics come to the PS4 as well.

Funny thing is, Suikoden 3 FINALLY got released on the Aus/NZ PSN this week (Konami gonna Konami) and even though it's the only Suikoden I haven't played (not counting the PSP one that never made it out of Japan), I'm not going to bother now. Sony ended up saving me some money. I guess I'll just wait for the PS4 version.

Auctopus

Huber's Galaxy streams are always fun to be a part of but I'm unsure if it's happening? Feels like GT is oddly quiet today.

Monday, December 7
1PM PT - DUMB GAME MONDAY
G-Force

6PM PT - FAT PRINCESS ADVENTURES
GT Crew

Tuesday, December 8
10AM PT - TOY BOX TUESDAY
Disney Infinity 3.0

6PM PT - YAKUZA 5
Michael Huber

Wednesday, December 9
6PM PT - GT LIVE
with our guest
animation house Mode Select

Thursday, December 10
6PM PT - FAST RACING NEO
Daniel Bloodworth

Friday, December 11
6PM PT - DEVIL'S THIRD
Kyle Bosman

Sad that SMRPG isn't this week as promised but bolded makes up for it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
maybe i wasn't paying attention when they were explaining (listening to the audio only) but i had no idea what the hell they were talking about when they were scoring games on man ups. why'd everything start with a 9 again? lol

maybe i wasn't paying attention when they were explaining (listening to the audio only) but i had no idea what the hell they were talking about when they were scoring games on man ups. why'd everything start with a 9 again? lol

Yeah, 9."0" is the worst, 9."999999999" it's like the best thing in the universe.

Mam Huber sounds rough, get that man some real food. His system is shutting down with that damned diet.

Having seen the Super Best Friend LP, I dunno if Bosman is ready for the level of jank and bizarre tonal and aesthetic dissonance.

I beat it on the PAL release, its not a great game but its hardly a broken or worst game of all time material.
Some of the bosses are sponges, but even with the loose aim controls you can just do the Call of Duty snap aim to lock on to enemy's with a quick LT press.
As a former Acti QA tester, he's seen worse for sure.

sora87

Everyone at GT seems to get severely sick every couple of weeks, maybe they need to start wearing the surgical masks like the japanese public

Lol awesome episode of Huber Hype, love Huber on the loose

What does Greg Miller have to say about the first TLC match? Next time, on Dragon Ball Z

Can someone skilled in gif-fu make a gif of Huber walking into the "Backdoor Shady Deals" but when that guy comes up to him it's got Bosman's face. It'd be a great response to Huber calling shenanigans on the Final Bets results.

Edit: holy glob that Greg Miller part

zH0MdHk.jpg

Lelcar

Bosman is right, Shawn Layden is getting cooler every time I see him. When he first revealed himself at E3 after Tretton quit, he seemed kinda stiff, like a just another corporate speaker, but he's really been getting loose in interviews lately and is totally coming into his own during conferences. Phil, Reggie and Shawn are a good trio of presidents.

UrbanRats

Are you kidding? Of course it's a flagship title, just look at who they've got developing it.
I mean it is a big title for them, sure, but not on the level of FFXV.
As important as FFVIIR is, FFXV is tasked with actually saving Final Fantasy, after a full generation of blunders for them.

EDIT: Also, NO to Moonlight Sonata.
Go for original pieces, like the Save Room music from Resident Evil.

eFKac

Fat Princess looked like I imagined, a laid back Diablo-like without the grind or arbitrary build guides, because you're introduced to a million possibilities. I liked it, shame only Kyle gave half a damn, and wasn't just brainlessly mashing buttons.

So predictions for GT's GOTY? After some recent streams I'm starting to think it's gonna be The Witcher 3. Which is a shame, not because it doesn't deserve it (it's my GOTY) but because I thought GT is gonna be the only major press outlet to give the GOTY to Bloodborne. Which is besides MGSV I think, the highest rated game of the year along Witcher but it's not gonna get any recognition during GOTY's which is a bit of a shame.

Fat Princess looked like I imagined, a laid back Diablo-like without the grind or arbitrary build guides, because you're introduced to a million possibilities. I liked it, shame only Kyle gave half a damn, and wasn't just brainlessly mashing buttons.

So predictions for GT's GOTY? After some recent streams I'm starting to think it's gonna be The Witcher 3. Which is a shame, not because it doesn't deserve it (it's my GOTY) but because I thought GT is gonna be the only major press outlet to give the GOTY to Bloodborne. Which is besides MGSV I think, the highest rated game of the year along Witcher but it's not gonna get any recognition during GOTY's which is a bit of a shame.

I doubt that TW3 is getting it, since Bloothworth seems to be the only one who's really, really into the game.

It also didn't get a musical written and performed by Ian Hinck, so there's that.

I mean it is a big title for them, sure, but not on the level of FFXV.
As important as FFVIIR is, FFXV is tasked with actually saving Final Fantasy, after a full generation of blunders for them.

EDIT: Also, NO to Moonlight Sonata.
Go for original pieces, like the Save Room music from Resident Evil.

I'd lower my expectations for FFXV if I were you. I'm looking forward to it but remember, Tabata and his team had to build that game out of the husk of Versus XIII. If it turns out to be a really good, cohesive game, it'd be an impressive feat.

Personally I'm expecting a bit of a mess and if that happens, I'm not sure it'll mean that much. FFVIIR will become the new "saviour of Final Fantasy" and Tabata will start work on his next game. I don't think it's as important as you think.

eFKac

I doubt that TW3 is getting it, since Bloothworth seems to be the only one who's really, really into the game.

It also didn't get a musical written and performed by Ian Hinck, so there's that.

Brandon seemed to be pro TW3 last time, Huber and Ben certainly warmed up since they've played it. Ian is a lock for BB, same with Brad imo, not sure about Bud Light, he's definitely gonna nod towards Mario Maker with Don (if Don is taking part in the talks) but not sure if he played TW3 at all. Blood is gonna push Witcher.

Overall it's interesting, definitely less convinced than even a month-two ago when I thought BB is a lock.

Top Bottom