• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well only one trailer that got a perfect 10 this year.

tumblr_nq107g3tk51r6q7tio1_540.gif

That 10 was soley fulled by hype though. The trailer is not that great.

Auctopus

That 10 was soley fulled by hype though. The trailer is not that great.

Actually, it's really good and Kyle makes good points as to why.

- The trailer doesn't give the game a way for a while and even when it starts to, it's through little teases like the slide and the flower. Initially, it uses very abstract references.
- The speech that runs through is meta and describes fans anticipation for the title and ends with "it may bring joy, it may bring fear..."
- It leaves iconic characters right until the end and even when they're revealed, they're not shoved down your throat for fan service purposes.
- Finally, the logo with Remake is the classiest title reveal. Funnily enough, that only works because of the years of messages boards and Reddit posts that called it FF7 Remake. The only word fans needed to see was "Remake".

I really don't care that much about FF7 as I didn't play it when growing up and haven't rectified that issue in adolescence but even I could understand why the trailer got a 10.

Could someone here give an answer to why Kyle seems to dislike Miyamoto so much? I've heard him mention it countless times, and when someone asked on a stream he said "too complex to explain"

I'm more indifferent to Miyamoto, but I am intrigued to his reasoning.

Could someone here give an answer to why Kyle seems to dislike Miyamoto so much? I've heard him mention it countless times, and when someone asked on a stream he said "too complex to explain"

I'm more indifferent to Miyamoto, but I am intrigued to his reasoning.

There are many reasons and I don't even remember them all myself. IIRC one of them being Miyamoto downplaying Mario Galaxy 1 when 2 was coming out for some stupid reason (Kyle prefers 1) and the whole narrative business with Sticker Star.

Also I have a memory of him being mad about Aonuma saying in some interview that whatever Miyamoto came up with he would have to implement into his games.

Burt

That trailer was pretty much the classiest thing Square's ever done without Matsuno at the helm.

Fun fact I just found: the GT reaction to the FFVII Remake trailer has over 1 million views... on a random channel that only has 357 subscribers.

Also, ugh, I just noticed that there's a black feather dropping in the trailer. Genesis nuuuuuuuu

Could someone here give an answer to why Kyle seems to dislike Miyamoto so much?

Based on some of the bits/impressions he's done I get the feeling that he perceives Miyamoto as a micromanager who thinks their designs are infallible. There's a bonus bit in one final bosman where he tells someone (forget who) to move a rock to a certain spot because it's "more fun". Those aren't his words directly, it's just the impression I get.

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
There are many reasons and I don't even remember them all myself. IIRC one of them being Miyamoto downplaying Mario Galaxy 1 when 2 was coming out for some stupid reason (Kyle prefers 1) and the whole narrative business with Sticker Star.

I think Kyle sees Miyamoto as a kind of roadblock for the people at Nintendo that try to introduce new story elements into the staple franchises, preventing the kind of context Kyle pines for. These two articles cover the whole disagreement between Miyamoto and Yoshiaki Koizumi (galaxy director) over story in the Mario and Zelda games.

http://www.wired.com/2009/06/super-mario-galaxy-2/
http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

Kyle never even finished Mario Galaxy 2, the stream Huber's doing on twitch will be his first experience with a large chunk of that game.

AAK

Really wish they did a trailer score for the Tekken 7 Akuma reveal. That was masterful the way it led up to that reveal and then capped it with the new character designs everyone has been asking for from the past 10 years. But I guess Bosman/Bloodworth/Jones aren't really that big on fighters.

Burt

The Miyamoto burn was great

But that college professor bit is so, so, so accurate and true and almost cathartic to watch done so well.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Boy do I love it when Bosman goes IN on Miyamoto. Always so on point.

It always felt like this year we were a hairs breadth away from Miyamoto taking responsibility for Splatoon's movement system and use of the GamePad somehow. Came close with "I TOLD THEM TO RE-EXAMINE CHARACTER DESIGN OR JUST USE MARIO" but no full "Yeah that was all me again" bullshit.

Auctopus

Fun fact I just found: the GT reaction to the FFVII Remake trailer has over 1 million views... on a random channel that only has 357 subscribers.

Yeah, this annoys and confuses me. How does this happen? They put up the same video, GT has 500k subscribers (I know some are non-active) but these random Youtubers have 10x more views?

sora87

Yeah, this annoys and confuses me. How does this happen? They put up the same video, GT has 500k subscribers (I know some are non-active) but these random Youtubers have 10x more views?

If I remember correctly GT took a while to put up their reactions, other people took the 3 big moments and put them on youtube almost immediately. The views had already gone.

Timing. GT is a skeleton crew and everyone was doing work during that time I bet. I'd gladly make cuts for them during these shows if they put them up on their channel. Would be a quick easy way for them to keep building their YT audience.

If I remember correctly GT took a while to put up their reactions, other people took the 3 big moments and put them on youtube almost immediately. The views had already gone.

Yeah, we weren't expecting that at all. I ended up just linking to theirs rather than putting them up ourselves. We'll have to look for a better way to do that next year.

Can't wait for tonight. The RPG stream crew is back together again to play Mario RPG. Love that game and my favorite Mario RPG they made. Better than paper Mario or Mario & Luigi series games

tok9

On the GT live trailer awards, I think they need to be a bit more varied. It felt like a lot of the trailers overlapped and others felt like they shouldn't be in certain categories.

At the very least I think you should add an in engine trailer and demo category. The likes of Fallout 4 and Battlefront being gameplay trailers just doesn't seem right to me. And due to the wording we miss out in demos like Uncharted 4 and Horizon.

Also might be best to change the title of cinematic to narrative trailer as I think that defines those trailers a little better.

And there is no need at all to apologise, just state your reasons and move on :)

Of course all just my opinion.

UrbanRats

On the GT love trailer awards, I think they need to be a bit more varied. It felt like a lot of the trailers overlapped and others felt like they shouldn't be in certain categories.

At the very least I think you should add an in engine trailer and demo category. The likes of Fallout 4 and Battlefront being gameplay trailers just doesn't seem right to me. And due to the wording we miss out in demos like Uncharted 4 and Horizon.

Also might be best to change the title of cinematic to narrative trailer as I think that defines those trailers a little better.

Also there is no need at all to apologise, just state your reasons and move on :)

Of course all just my opinion.
Kind of agree.

I'm happy Witcher won over Homefront though.
I don't know how Brandon can like that self important, jingoistic, embarrassing bullshit of a trailer.
Not even Chuck Norris movies were this cheesy (or at least they didn't feel as serious).

Especially when the threat presented is not only completely improbable, but also fanta-political (as opposed to, say, alien invaders) so there's also that childish, dehumanizing process, too.

It really felt like some cheesy propaganda from some paranoid folk that has literally nothing to fear (like really, of all the places risking to be invaded, i think the US is at the bottom of the list).

I'm not sure how you sell something like Homefront, but probably it'd be best to either acknowledge the absolute sillyness of the idea, or at least pump the breaks a bit on the patriotic vibe, 'cause it makes you look like an ass.
It feels like the richest guy in town daydreaming about being poor and becoming super rich again by "pulling himself up by his bootstraps", showing all the other hobos how it's done.

Disclaimer, i'm not American, so obviously it's going to hit me in a different way, but it'd totally still apply if it was taking place in my country.

Kind of agree.

I'm happy Witcher won over Homefront though.
I don't know how Brandon can like that self important, jingoistic, embarrassing bullshit of a trailer.
Not even Chuck Norris movies were this cheesy (or at least they didn't feel as serious).

Especially when the threat presented is not only completely improbable, but also fanta-political (as opposed to, say, alien invaders) so there's also that childish, dehumanizing process, too.

It really felt like some cheesy propaganda from some paranoid folk that has literally nothing to fear (like really, of all the places risking to be invaded, i think the US is at the bottom of the list).

I'm not sure how you sell something like Homefront, but probably it'd be best to either acknowledge the absolute sillyness of the idea, or at least pump the breaks a bit on the patriotic vibe, 'cause it makes you look like an ass.
It feels like the richest guy in town daydreaming about being poor and becoming super rich again by "pulling himself up by his bootstraps", showing all the other hobos how it's done.

Disclaimer, i'm not American, so obviously it's going to hit me in a different way, but it'd totally still apply if it was taking place in my country.
The game is called Homefront : Revolution,you cannot afford NOT to fuse the trailer with patriotic vibes.Entire premise of the IP is stupid,but if your entire story is based around being the resistance of an occupied country,you cannot ignore patriotism,especially if they gotta play with the scenario for real. If i recall correctly they acquired the game while it was half done or something?
I highly doubt they scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch,so imo theyve absolutely done the best they could from the material they were given.I have no interest whatsoever in the game but the trailer was one of the better ones I thought.
Also dehumanizing to whom? Communist leaders are generally disgusting pricks,so its not far from the truth at all,but maybe I'm biased a bit since my country had a few of those before.

UrbanRats

The game is called Homefront : Revolution,you cannot afford NOT to fuse the trailer with patriotic vibes.Entire premise of the IP is stupid,but if your entire story is based around being the resistance of an occupied country,you cannot ignore patriotism,especially if they gotta play with the scenario for real. If i recall correctly they acquired the game while it was half done or something?
I highly doubt they scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch,so imo theyve absolutely done the best they could from the material they were given.I have no interest whatsoever in the game but the trailer was one of the better ones I thought.
Also dehumanizing to whom? Communist leaders are generally disgusting pricks,so its not far from the truth at all,but maybe I'm biased a bit since my country had a few of those before.

I don't know the behind the scenes, however wolfenstein went with a better way of depicting a similar scenario, strutting the line between super serious and tongue in cheek.
I didn't really like Wolfenstein either as a game, but that trailer was much less cringeworthy.

As far as dehumanization go, they are horrible humans, but to depict every last goon as a monolithic, robotic Evil entity is a terribly simplistic and childish way to look at the world and how it works.
Even fucking Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale of good vs bad, finds the time to give stormtroopers some depth and humanization.
Humanizing someone doesn't mean you're sympathizing with their horrors, it means you recognize their horrors as a facet of human nature (gone wrong) which is why I think that, to hide from this, is silly and shallow.
You can still show how evil something is, while not making them all out as faceless shadows.

The Japanese were also on the wrong side of history during WWII, yet when you watch Thin Red Line, Malick found the space to show that the people in the trenches where still human beings, many of whom didn't have a very clear idea of what was even going on, on a larger scale.

This is something they should've carved some space for, in that trailer, and one single shot would've been enough.

Burt

Bruh, it's a first person shooter based on an entirely implausible scenario, and the people it pits you against are a hostile, abusive, occupying force. It's not like you're No Russianing a North Korean marketplace.

Trailer was awesome
but I'm from Philadelphia so don't count on me for objectivity here

UrbanRats

Bruh, it's a first person shooter based on an entirely implausible scenario, and the people it pits you against are a hostile, abusive, occupying force. It's not like you're No Russianing a North Korean marketplace.

Trailer was awesome
but I'm from Philadelphia so don't count on me for objectivity here

Trailer went for a serious, self important vibe, and got a serious response.
If they went for an Iron Sky vibe, i'd post accordingly.

As it is, it was cringe worthy shit.

Our awards categories for 2015. Awards start December 21st and run through the 31st.

Handheld Exclusive
Strategy
Best Trailer
Platformer
Adventure
Third Person Shooter
Action/Adventure
First Person Shooter
Xbox Exclusive
Expansion
Wii U Exclusive
Soundtrack
PC Exclusive
Multiplayer
PS Exclusive
Most Disappointing
Multiplatform
Role Playing
Game of the Year

"Blood, the smugness..."
"Nope, he gets the final word, Ben."

Would have liked Ben to finish that thought.

Very good end to the year. The tiebreaker was brilliant. "IT WAS THE SAME COLOUR!"

Top Bottom