• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Umibozu

In last night's stream huber used ben saying the story of xenoblade X's story wasn't that great as an excuse to not play the game. I haven't played the game yet as I'm waiting for the game to arrive so I can't say much, but I wonder how ben feels that huber is using ben's statement to not play the game.
Did ben not like it? (I'm avoiding his review and xenoX reviews in general to not spoil myself)

Burt

In last night's stream huber used ben saying the story of xenoblade X's story wasn't that great as an excuse to not play the game. I haven't played the game yet as I'm waiting for the game to arrive so I can't say much, but I wonder how ben feels that huber is using ben's statement to not play the game.
Did ben not like it? (I'm avoiding his review and xenoX reviews in general to not spoil myself)

He liked it a lot, but felt the story was one of its weaker points

Umibozu

He liked it a lot, but felt the story was one of its weaker points
I've read that the quests in the game greatly expand on the story, did ben spend a lot of time on them and still find the story lacking, or found the story lacking in general?

Either way it won't affect my opinion as my tastes greatly differ from the gt staffs; it would just be a little sad as I would've liked if ben enjoyed it more as I could see him spreading the word as he does for so many of the games he enjoys.

Burt

I've read that the quests in the game greatly expand on the story, did ben spend a lot of time on them and still find the story lacking, or found the story lacking in general?

Either way it won't affect my opinion as my tastes greatly differ from the gt staffs; it would just be a little sad as I would've liked if ben enjoyed it more as I could see him spreading the word as he does for so many of the games he enjoys.

Well, he did all the main story missions, and it sounds like he did a lot of the other optional stuff.

Well, he did all the main story missions, and it sounds like he did a lot of the other optional stuff.

I did quite a few, but not all, of the affinity missions. They do expand on the story a LOT, but not as much as I was hoping for. There are some really great moments, but the whole thing doesn't come together in a very satisfying way. I realize I'm being super vague, but I don't want to ruin anything. I'd love to talk more about it once people have finished.

Pappasman

I did quite a few, but not all, of the affinity missions. They do expand on the story a LOT, but not as much as I was hoping for. There are some really great moments, but the whole thing doesn't come together in a very satisfying way. I realize I'm being super vague, but I don't want to ruin anything. I'd love to talk more about it once people have finished.
Have you finished the first Xenoblade?

Loved having Brad in the dumb game Monday stream. Hes the best stream wingman. Unlike someone like Brandon who seems to take it over and ignore the game being played with chat or other topics, Brad does a great blend of commenting on the game and engaging chat.

sora87

Hope they cover the Smash Direct tomorrow as usual.

Kyle said they probably will

So... two new Gundam games got announced. When are we going to get the Brad Ellis/Kyle Bosman Gundam nerd session we deserve, because lord knows GT Time doesn't seem to give Japanese games the time of day if it's not announced at a western event.

We need a Ben show where he and whoever else just talks about japanese games, new or old, big or obscure.

Ben's Milky Soup Corner

UrbanRats

Man i just realized that, not being able to see SW in theaters, i'm gonna have to tip toe around GT videos (if it's anything like Mad Max) for half a year, until it comes out in BluRay. :(

UrbanRats

^ oh man, you're boned. I have no idea how you're going to avoid spoilers for that long.

Me neither, but as i said in the OT, i don't want to watch it dubbed, which is a standard practice here.
I mean it'll be easy enough to avoid their usual "Star Wars" dedicated sit down, but the eventual mentions and jokes in GTtime and such will be impossible to avoid.
Well, not much i can do about it.

Me neither, but as i said in the OT, i don't want to watch it dubbed, which is a standard practice here.
I mean it'll be easy enough to avoid their usual "Star Wars" dedicated sit down, but the eventual mentions and jokes in GTtime and such will be impossible to avoid.

What language would you be watching it in dubbed?

UrbanRats

What language would you be watching it in dubbed?

Italian.
It'd be weird if it was another language, lol.
We have a pretty decent school of dubbing all in all, but it's still dubbing, it's never good in live action (it can work well enough in cartoons and videogames, because the lip sync isn't as demanding and the physicality of the acting is limited).
I did buckle for Mad Max this year, but mostly because there was barely any dialog in that one.
Not to mention that traditionally, Star Wars has all the names changed up, from back in the day, and that annoys me to no end.
Like "Han" being "Ian", "Leia" being "Leila" and "Vader" being "Fener".

I know for example France has their own names, and so on.

Not to mention that traditionally, Star Wars has all the names changed up, from back in the day, and that annoys me to no end.

I work in a field that does Localization and that seems weird to me. It's not as though Han, Leia, or Vader are particularly English names to begin with (at least not that I"m aware of). But then again it was done almost 40 years ago so maybe practices have changed.

crimilde

Banned
Italian.
It'd be weird if it was another language, lol.
We have a pretty decent school of dubbing all in all, but it's still dubbing, it's never good in live action (it can work well enough in cartoons and videogames, because the lip sync isn't as demanding and the physicality of the acting is limited).
I did buckle for Mad Max this year, but mostly because there was barely any dialog in that one.

I bought tickets for this Sunday and saw I had the choice between dubbed and subbed. I guess they do this for the kids as we don't usually get other films dubbed here (Romania).

I was really glad to see the subbed option was kept though, would definitely not want to watch any film dubbed. :( Good luck on your media blackout!

luchadork

Man i just realized that, not being able to see SW in theaters, i'm gonna have to tip toe around GT videos (if it's anything like Mad Max) for half a year, until it comes out in BluRay. :(

that sucks. GT have become an official dont-give-a-fuck-about-spoilers zone. jones in particular. still sour that he talked about the plot of CoD sp in GT live and best characters of 2010. the games only been out a month. for SURE they are going to wreck any secrets about star wars especially on twitch.

llehuty

Isn't there a local (or not that local) cinema with subbed sessions? I'm also going to the cinema to watch movies in the original language. Thankfully there are a lot of cases were big blockbusters can be easily seen subbed. Should be possible in medium to big sized cities.

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
that sucks. GT have become an official dont-give-a-fuck-about-spoilers zone. jones in particular. still sour that he talked about the plot of CoD sp in GT live and best characters of 2010. the games only been out a month. for SURE they are going to wreck any secrets about star wars especially on twitch.

With star wars it's different. They're all so paranoid about spoilers themselves I think they'll be considerate and keep quiet about it.

UrbanRats

I work in a field that does Localization and that seems weird to me. It's not as though Han, Leia, or Vader are particularly English names to begin with (at least not that I"m aware of). But then again it was done almost 40 years ago so maybe practices have changed.
Back then they did weird stuff.
In ANH, they translated Ben Kenobi saying "War of the clones" into "Guerra dei quoti" (War of the Quotes, whereas "Clones" is "Cloni" in italian too); i guess they wanted to add some flair, but with Ep2 coming out, it became all just very confusing.
When Ep3 came out, i remember there being a big debate on whether they should keep Fener or retcon back to the original (Vader) and in the and, nostalgia won over and they kept Fener.

Personally i've seen SW in English and played so much SW material in English, that for me they've always been associated to the original, English names.
So the nostalgia angle is completely lost in that sense, i find it just distracting.

I bought tickets for this Sunday and saw I had the choice between dubbed and subbed. I guess they do this for the kids as we don't usually get other films dubbed here (Romania).
I was really glad to see the subbed option was kept though, would definitely not want to watch any film dubbed. :( Good luck on your media blackout!
There is a very limited release with subs here, but it's in 1 or 2 theaters (and one showing, as far as i can see) in the whole country, and i'd have to travel several hours to get there, assuming there's even a seat left.

Yeah honestly, i don't even mind to wait, i have a decent TV and audio system, i like to watch movies in the comfort of my home (with no talking and no phones always on), and waiting a bunch of months is not that bad ( i have other stuff to do and see in the meantime, and i'm not that fanatic about SW) the worst part will definitely be avoiding all the SW "talk" from here on out.

ilium

The group I had going in monster hunter just now vanished because "Smash direct in 10". lol

I don't care about smash brothers at all, but I'll watch the GT stream anyway cause it's rare that they stream at a time that works for me.

sora87

I tweeted this to kyle wishing him good luck in getting cloud for tonight's stream, doubt he'll open a weird twitter link though haha

gYYjAW5.gif

Burt

The amount of jolly during Smash tonight was almost enough to make me go get a Wii U. Good Huber Hype today, VR video was interesting too.

Trailer award/talk/whatever tomorrow shod be fun.

The amount of jolly during Smash tonight was almost enough to make me go get a Wii U. Good Huber Hype today, VR video was interesting too.

Trailer award/talk/whatever tomorrow shod be fun.

Has to be Persona 5. That first big trailer was perfect.

Don't let me down Benkle.

Top Bottom