• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

A bit of a mess this week. So much static on the microphones. Ian seemed to have a migraine, which are complete bastards, I suffer with those at least once a month.

It finished OK though, with an interesting adventure to come next week.

Auctopus

Regarding GT Live: I think figures in the gaming industry who scoff at the premise of the CODs and Maddens in our world are just as bad, if not worse, than the people who are constantly blindly bashing Indies. I really got that vibe from Tracey and the other guest. They presented the idea of Indie games like they were some superior form of culture to the mainstream AAA titles. The same type of people who scoff at books on public transport because the average person doesn't read Dostoyevsky.

That only indie games can be described as 'beautiful' or 'moving' or that the fact that they are indie makes them innately those things is such a farce. I sort of wish a little time was spent on the face of Early Access and that more than often indie games fail to have any sort of proper QA check and therefore come out broken and what can up and coming developers do about that. I'm rambling a bit but I really didn't like the anti-AAA vibe they were giving, the guy on the left especially who was doing the classic Jonothan Blow "AAA games are all shooty bang-bangs".

Every now and then, we'll get a really special Indie game eg. Spelunky, Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac etc. just like we get special AAA games every now and then eg. Bloodborne. But the idea that just because an Indie game is a slower paced and is unorthodox in its setting/narrative automatically gives it a free pass and makes it 'better quality' than AAA games need to stop.

/rant - I love the whole video game production spectrum but I hate elitists.

Tabletop Adventures was excellent again, Elyse was especially funny. Felt bad for Iain, he really didnt seem well enough to be there. Good for him for making it through most of the episode and hope he feels better soon.

Hasney

Since I assume GT Time and Tabletop are recorded on the same day since they go up o the same day, I wonder if Ian being that bad is going to have an effect on GT Time since he's the only one who can operate the equipment in that studio.
Hope he felt better regardless!

I think they actually usually tape Tabletop on Wednesday and GT Time on Thursday. I haven't watched GT Live this week. Was Ian in the booth running the tri-caster? That would have been after Tabletop was shot.

Pretty sure Brad Ellis only spoke to close out the show. Bit of a non-entity this week.

Glad Ian raised the Timothy Olyphant question. I've always wondered if it was him but could never be arsed to look it up. That's that sorted.

Hasney

Pretty sure Brad Ellis only spoke to close out the show. Bit of a non-entity this week.

Glad Ian raised the Timothy Olyphant question. I've always wondered if it was him but could never be arsed to look it up. That's that sorted.

Seems to be Brad on the show in general. I like him and he does bring something to the table, but he needs to be prompted and gets a bit lost with the 3 strong characters he's with.

Not entirely sure why but I pissed myself laughing when they were talking about character contradictions in Parks and Rec and The Office, and Huber just pops up with "I like Louie...".

UrbanRats

Not entirely sure why but I pissed myself laughing when they were talking about character contradictions in Parks and Rec and The Office, and Huber just pops up with "I like Louie...".

lol, same.

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy is just as bullshit as other Marvel movies, Ian, stop it.

DMiz

Soemtimes I wish the crew would release Mandatory Update... Nights as separate podcast episodes.

I realize that ... Nights episodes are there for when the team doesn't have enough time or material to film an episode, but I love the conversations they have and it's fun to listen in. It helps that the conversations tend to deviate much more from gaming than, say, in GT Time, so it would be a good adjunct to put out there.

tok9

To be fair.. I'd say they already have a load of work to do. Adding another show/stream might break them!

The only thing I wish and I've mentioned it before is earlier streams. Their stream don't start until about 1-2 am where I am so I miss out in any interaction.

sora87

Ben always wanted them to a bombcast type thing, Nights could be that bombcast type thing for GT. But yeah, probably couldn't fit it into their schedule as a common thing.

To be fair.. I'd say they already have a load of work to do. Adding another show/stream might break them!

The only thing I wish and I've mentioned it before is earlier streams. Their stream don't start until about 1-2 am where I am so I miss out in any interaction.

Yeah, time zones suck, but for the sake of sanity, it's best for us to do things at the end of the day once most of the work is wrapped up.

So apparently there will be a new Twitch show from Bosman starting Monday called... ''Dumb Game Monday''!

Some games don't deserve to be streamed, but
No! We can't think like that. Kyle Bosman is still willing to give 'em a shot. Each week he will dedicate 2 hours toward completing and learning to love some dumb game. Season One is [mystery game]

Hype.

So apparently there will be a new Twitch show from Bosman starting Monday called... ''Dumb Game Monday''!

Hype.

We'll see. We're considering it. I'm not entirely convinced there's enough time to squeeze it in the way he's pitched it.
EDIT: Didn't realize he'd already put it on the Twitch page. I guess we'll see how it goes.

im watching mandatory update nights and kyle just used BEYONCÉ as a verb. she's so powerful, so famous. her impact reaches even to gametrailers. 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

tok9

Yeah, time zones suck, but for the sake of sanity, it's best for us to do things at the end of the day once most of the work is wrapped up.

Ya that's completely fair. As it is I'm happy with the content.

Actually speaking of it, I've finally caught up on all the old Tabletop episodes. I must look like a complete idiot going on the tube as every so often I'll either be laughing to myself or trying to control myself from laughing. Some of the episodes are absolute gold.

"MMMMMUUUUUUURRRRDDDDDEEEEERRRRR" - That whole episode was brilliant.

I also get some of the jokes like batting eyes and Neb's origins (started the episode after)

Auctopus

Honestly, GT. Get that Smosh guy off your channel. You try to have a proper conversation about difficult games and he starts out by calling Dark Souls 'broken'.

Shane Satterfield is just as bad, their circlejerk over the Souls games was pathetic. He says he doesn't hold a grudge against people who like Souls but then says how most people are mistaken who bought it and just followed reviews? I'm sorry, Shane that you're not good enough to get past the first boss but that probably gives you less right to spread your hate about the series. He then runs out of criticisms so just randomly says the series is now a cash cow. What a joke, I know he has history at GT but please refrain from bringing him back in.

Hasney

Honestly, GT. Get that Smosh guy off your channel. You try to have a proper conversation about difficult games and he starts out by calling Dark Souls 'broken'.

Shane Satterfield is just as bad, their circlejerk over the Souls games was pathetic. He says he doesn't hold a grudge against people who like Souls but then says how most people are mistaken who bought it and just followed reviews? I'm sorry, Shane that you're not good enough to get past the first boss but that probably gives you less right to spread your hate about the series. He then runs out of criticisms so just randomly says the series is now a cash cow. What a joke, I know he has history at GT but please refrain from bringing him back in.

Yeah, if it wasn't for Andrea, it would be the worst Bonus Round lineup in history.

Hoping it's not a sign of things to come as they blatantly just got a line up that was close to the GT office since Smosh are in the same place, Shane is probably around the area still and Andrea is wearing the same dress she did on GT Time so probably travelled up for both.

Haven't watched this episode though, the previous one was enough to put me off this go-around.

Auctopus

Yeah, if it wasn't for Andrea, it would be the worst Bonus Round lineup in history.

Hoping it's not a sign of things to come as they blatantly just got a line up that was close to the GT office since Smosh are in the same place, Shane is probably around the area still and Andrea is wearing the same dress she did on GT Time so probably travelled up for both.

Yep, Andrea was great. You could tell she was actually thinking before she spoke whilst the other two just motormouthed between each other.

Couldn't have said it better, the smosh dude is so annoying too. Dark Souls is easy, Git Gud™

SeanTSC

Jesus fuck, yeah that Bonus Round was one of the worst I've ever seen. Those two guys are bad and should feel bad. I'm glad Shane is gone with his hilariously bullshit "only popular games should get high scores!" attitude.

Yeah, I know all the big GT fans would just like the GT crew to be on Bonus Round but they are probably getting guests to try and attract new fans to the site.

Thankfully we have Lets all go to the trailers, huber hype, GT Live, Tabletop adventures, Final Bosman, GT Time, Mandatory updates, Just played, and Lets Play's to give us the people that we want to see and interact with.

Hasney

That's the thing though, they've had great guests. I don't want the GT crew, I want people who can talk intelligently about video games. Bonus Round is a great show and the rounds they just did at DICE and Double Fine were mostly good.

This lineup isn't about bringing new people in, otherwise you wouldn't have a GT staffer and a guy who is only know from being on GT alongside someone else employed by Defy Media.

Yeah, I know all the big GT fans would just like the GT crew to be on Bonus Round but they are probably getting guests to try and attract new fans to the site.

Thankfully we have Lets all go to the trailers, huber hype, GT Live, Tabletop adventures, Final Bosman, GT Time, Mandatory updates, Just played, and Lets Play's to give us the people that we want to see and interact with.

Bonus Round wouldn't be half as bad if they had people on there with something interesting to say. It shouldn't be about other video game journalists at all and more about developers, analysts (someone else than just Pachter), lawyers or people from publishers. If that's not the case, then yes, I'd rather have another episode of Mandatory Update Nights, as I said a while ago.

Bonus Round seems so irrelevant in the times of GT Time and Mandatory Update Nights. They rarely have interesting people to listen to these days.

The opinion of "industry people" like Totilo or the Kinda Funny guy couldn't be less interesting to me. Seeing the discussion stretched out over a month doesn't help.

RedAssedApe

Banned
would have loved to see ian on this panel...since he's always trolling and telling people to "get gud" when it comes to souls/bb difficulty.

Top Bottom