• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Mandatory Update is back with a normal episode this week and includes a clinic on New York-style burns from real life mook, Kyle Bosman.

ohohbaby.gif

babyluigiburnt.gif

elbowdrop.gif

I've been hard on MU lately so I thought I should chime in to say that I thought this was their best episode so far. I'm sure it must be super hard writing a regular comedy show between regular gt duties, with no experience, and being limited to game news. Limiting it to bi-weekly was a good idea.

+ The Bosman segment was good

+ Unexpected baby Luigi follow up was fun

+ Generally good timing

- The Kojima joke had potential but fizzled

- Ancestors joke missed

tok9

Getting another hour long video on Bloodborne was awesome and it was something I was really hoping for too. I just love the passion from the guys.

One thing I wish they went into a little more would be what they were critical of.

For example for me, I think the covenants were a big step back in Bloodborne. They are all quite similar and it's only close to the end game when you get them really.

The other would be I wish the dungeons were a bit more varied. It's cool when you see the lightning above. I wish there were more elements like that and just different designs really.

I would just love to see some more chalice streams or better again actually be able to co op with them. Set up a gametrailers password! :)

Auctopus

Decided to watch the new Bonus Round.

Shane is so, so bitter about the new games media and the fact he's not keeping up. GT has done such a good job to adapt and it just makes me glad Shane is doing his own thing now.

oti

Banned
Loooove MU but the latest episode was kinda meh. I get that the can't produce skits every week but the last episode felt kinda lazy. I love seeing Kyle though so that's nice.

The trailer show really isn't for me I feel like. But I don't care about movie or video game trailers in general so it doesn't surprise me.

FxDbN1q.png

tok9

I don't mean to be mean but I really don't want to see Shane on GT ever again. I'm not the biggest fan of that guy from Smosh but Shane is so frustrating to listen to.

Andrea is awesome though. Would be nice to see her a bit more.. especially with all those tvs in the new GT studio. Get her in on more GT Time.

sora87

These are the first bonus rounds in a long time that I just flat out refuse to even click on. Shane and the smosh guys are just so annoying, my mind can't cope

Vorpal

I don't mean to be mean but I really don't want to see Shane on GT ever again. I'm not the biggest fan of that guy from Smosh but Shane is so frustrating to listen to.

Andrea is awesome though. Would be nice to see her a bit more.. especially with all those tvs in the new GT studio. Get her in on more GT Time.

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with Shane, but he was seriously obnoxious in this Bonus Round. I felt my eye start twitching when Andrea called him out on his cynicism and he said, "you don't know! You're making so many assumptions!"

C'mon son. You just spent the past 8 minutes making assumptions about Youtubers. And talking over people to do it.

I already liked Andrea, but I finished this episode with some more respect for Jovenshire too. Seems like a cool enough dude.

Hasney

For those who had to stomach to click on that Bonus Round with Shane and Smosh guy, well done. Hopefully Andrea gets put on a better group next time!

Was that the last one of this filming cycle and we get a new group next week?

Kasper

For those who had to stomach to click on that Bonus Round with Shane and Smosh guy, well done. Hopefully Andrea gets put on a better group next time!

Was that the last one of this filming cycle and we get a new group next week?

I seem to remember someone mentioning on Twitter that new Bonus Rounds taped this week.

SeanTSC

Lots of Shane hate!

While his Bloodborne bashing was quite absurd and filled with incredibly incorrect bullshit that was so off the mark and flat out wrong that it hurt, I felt he was very levelheaded in his skepticism here on New Media. Maybe I'm too old (32!), but I absolutely got what he was talking about.

And personally, I can't get into all this new crap and can't stand most of all these new "gaming personality" people out there like PewDiePie. I love Gametrailers and its staff and all of their shows immensely, but I just can't watch any of these youtubers or other twitch streamers. Most of their personalities are just awful and all the crap plastered over everyone's twitch channels is just horrible. They're basically a new generation of Camwhores (both men and women equally) who sell themselves with a bunch of annoying banners and sounds and all the donation garbage and are using Gaming as a medium for it. And some of it is really scummy. A guy I know detailed me out how he'd run 10-15 bot accounts and donate to himself to rile other people up into a donating frenzy just to abuse the herd mentality that goes on with the twitch streaming audience.

I hope GT distances themselves from Shane, he's just been hard to listen to every time he's on GT.

He's always whining about something and this Bonus Round he kind of hit rock bottom. He was SO bitter and jealous about popular youtube channels. Desperately trying to discredit them for 10 minutes with no proof whatsoever to back it up. How many times did he call them basement dwellers? That's so disrespectful.

Andrea was good though and it was awesome seeing her call out Shane. Geoff was doing a good job trying to get the discussion back on track.

oti

Banned
Lots of Shane hate!

While his Bloodborne bashing was quite absurd and filled with incredibly incorrect bullshit that was so off the mark and flat out wrong that it hurt, I felt he was very levelheaded in his skepticism here on New Media. Maybe I'm too old (32!), but I absolutely got what he was talking about.

And personally, I can't get into all this new crap and can't stand most of all these new "gaming personality" people out there like PewDiePie. I love Gametrailers and its staff and all of their shows immensely, but I just can't watch any of these youtubers or other twitch streamers. Most of their personalities are just awful and all the crap plastered over everyone's twitch channels is just horrible. They're basically a new generation of Camwhores (both men and women equally) who sell themselves with a bunch of annoying banners and sounds and all the donation garbage and are using Gaming as a medium for it. And some of it is really scummy. A guy I know detailed me out how he'd run 10-15 bot accounts and donate to himself to rile other people up into a donating frenzy just to abuse the herd mentality that goes on with the twitch streaming audience.

Shane's ok. I get that "general negativity" vibe off of him though which isn't as fun on him than it is on someone like Jeff Gerstmann. But he doesn't play a character, he's authentic which is nice, I can't handle his Angry something something friend for instance.
He has valid points on Youtubers. He takes them seriously and respects them enough to bring up the lack of transparency as a valid concern. But to be perfectly honest, I didn't miss him on GT since he left.

Andrea is awesome.

No idea who that Smosh guy is.

Vorpal

Shane's ok. I get that "general negativity" vibe off of him though which isn't as fun on him than it is on someone like Jeff Gerstmann. But he doesn't play a character, he's authentic which is nice, I can't handle his Angry something something friend for instance.
He has valid points on Youtubers. He takes them seriously and respects them enough to bring up the lack of transparency as a valid concern. But to be perfectly honest, I didn't miss him on GT since he left.

Andrea is awesome.

No idea who that Smosh guy is.

As a big GB fan, even Gerstmann's negativity can get old sometimes. (Although generally I think he's more nonplussed than anything.) But yeah, fair enough. I like that Shane is passionate, I guess I just wish he was less of an alarmist on this issue. Andrea brought up a few specific Youtubers/events--I was hoping the conversation would go further in that direction and away from the Red Scare sort of ambiguous threat to games media.

In any case, I'm excited to see who's on the next Bonus Round panel

SeanTSC

I think Shane is more of a Skeptical person than he is a Negative person and I really liked him on Invisible Walls a lot of the time. And yeah, he's definitely not a "Character," he just is who he is. I think he's at his best when he's being his skeptical and level headed self. The main problem with him is when he does dip into that negativity when he's totally off base about something that he doesn't understand - like calling Bloodborne Janky and a Rage game, both of which are not even remotely close to truth, or calling Bloodborne a Cash Cow when Battlefield is far more of one lol.

So yeah once in a while he says some ridiculously off base shit (who doesn't), but he's also very good at being a very on-point skeptic who is very blunt about things. Having skeptical people who don't just hype everything up is a good thing and it's very different from being a negative/angry personality. You're right about him too, Shane definitely takes youtubers and streamers seriously and his concerns were very valid, though it would have been better if he had someone who could bounce stuff back and forth with him better and Andrea and Jovenshire aren't people who mesh well with him.

I don't miss him on GT either and I don't think he fits in with the current staff at all, but I think he could still do some good work elsewhere. I'm not sure that Marcus is the right partner for him though. I like Marcus and some of his stuff was very fun, but I don't think he compliments Shane very well and I think that the right person paired up with Shane with the right chemistry could make him great.

oti

Banned
I think Shane is more of a Skeptical person than he is a Negative person and I really liked him on Invisible Walls a lot of the time.

I did too! Man, how the site has changed since then. GT Time doesn't really draw me in as much as IW did back then. I'm mostly on GT for Mandatory Update, the First 15 and maybe a review here and there. Wow, I used to watch all the reviews back then. They replaced print magazines (and their DVD with video reviews on them) for me. How the times have changed.

I did too! Man, how the site has changed since then. GT Time doesn't really draw me in as much as IW did back then. I'm mostly on GT for Mandatory Update, the First 15 and maybe a review here and there. Wow, I used to watch all the reviews back then. They replaced print magazines (and their DVD with video reviews on them) for me. How the times have changed.

GT Time and Final Bosman are great too.

oti

Banned
GT Time and Final Bosman are great too.

I love Kyle but that whole "I'm wearing a suit and look into the camera" thing just isn't my cup of tea. It's too serious. But I also can't stand Youtubers with "MY REACTION TO XYZ #YOLO" videos so that's that. Still, loooooove Kyle. One of my favourite gaming industry people. He likes fun.

SeanTSC

Tabletop Adventures is my personal favorite (yay Ben), but I also love and watch every single show on GT atm. I think I liked GT time a bit more when it was on the Couch, but I'm warming up to the set and Mandatory Update Nights is a good Couch show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love everything from the crew, the only thing I do not watch is Tabletop Adventures (because it's way too long and I've got stuff to study).

I love all their stuff. Took me a while to get used to Mandatory Update, but love it now. Yesterday's episode was great.

Just watched yesterday's Bonus Round. Bleh.... come on, I understand there's some dodgy business going on with youtube sometimes but I think most of us are pretty good at sorting out the trash from the good.

Andrea was nailing it! I was impressed!

Smosh guy was ok, but I still can't forgive him for his Bloodborne comments :lol

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The worst thing about them finally putting their stuff on Youtube is, that I now glance at Youtube comments sometimes. The comments for the Batman Trailer Score thing are especially terrible :/
People don't understand the show

sora87

That's why I try to stick to their site even if the video player is a struggle. Youtube comments can be so toxic. Although the recent GT Live comments section was surprisingly good considering, at least when I last looked.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is this like people having the need to have top 10 lists spoilered?

It's just a number people, it's not Thanos.

Auctopus

I love how Huber's Queue is concentrated Hype.

Also, I agree with the call to take the score off the video thumbnail, it doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, score thumbnails need to go.

Brandon defended it during a stream. I'll sum it up the best i can.

He thinks that the score will maybe attract the attention of a dev/publisher. For instance, if he makes a video that says "Arkham Knight trailer review" the chances of a dev/publisher looking at it are slim. But if it shows a 6.0 next to it they might watch it to see what they did wrong.

He also mentioned that you wont know what Kyle/Daniel scored them, so you would still have to watch to see that, and of course they explain in detail why the scored it the way that they did so you wont know just by looking at the score on the thumbnail.

He also mentioned views have actually gone up since they started doing this, however he would change it if that changes and/or everyone keeps complaining about it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Views have likely gone up because more people are ok with sitting through a 10 minute video versus a 30 minute video for trailers they've most likely already watched themselves.

Wasn't it GT themselves (might have been a Keighley thing) where they didn't want segments longer than 15 minutes due to viewer attention span?

Hasney

Brandon defended it during a stream. I'll sum it up the best i can.

He thinks that the score will maybe attract the attention of a dev/publisher. For instance, if he makes a video that says "Arkham Knight trailer review" the chances of a dev/publisher looking at it are slim. But if it shows a 6.0 next to it they might watch it to see what they did wrong.

He also mentioned that you wont know what Kyle/Daniel scored them, so you would still have to watch to see that, and of course they explain in detail why the scored it the way that they did so you wont know just by looking at the score on the thumbnail.

He also mentioned views have actually gone up since they started doing this, however he would change it if that changes and/or everyone keeps complaining about it.

Yeah, but who's the audience? The devs or us? Because seeing the score has soured me on it quite badly, I didn't even make it through the Arkham one because I knew the tone of the conversation going in so after the first quarter, I shut it off
admittedly to watch some JP's, but still

UrbanRats

On the one hand, the scores are really not the point for me, listening to their reasoning is the meat and potatoes of these videos.

On the other hand, it does sort of ruin the surprise of knowing what consensus they had on a trailer, and i'm not really sure i follow Brandon's reasoning.
It sounds like a cheap (and not very effective) click-bait tactic.

Hasney

Final Bosman. Silent Hills is dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzghpk3H0BE

DEAD

The bonus bit
where he has to pimp some videos is hilarious and I totally agree with him on it. I don't think I've ever clicked on anyones related video annotation so they're just an annoyance. Hell, I can't actually click on any annotation on a PS4 or Android which is where I watch almost everything YT

Kasper

I think the best way of doing the ending with the annotations would be to see Kyle take off his mic, leave the desk, seeing the studio shutting down with lights being turned off and what not. No need for lame speeches.

wiibomb

Bosman was just joking about that, right? I mean, I hate the idea of his videos having those things at the end.. never wanted them on my GT videos...

tell me it was all a joke

Kansoku

I think the best way of doing the ending with the annotations would be to see Kyle take off his mic, leave the desk, seeing the studio shutting down with lights being turned off and what not. No need for lame speeches.

Or, have him sing a new (game) song every time. Which is obviously the superior option.

border

It's a little sad that they immediately killed Let's All Go To The Trailers because the first Trailer Score got like 22K views.......but now new episodes of Trailer Score are getting the same 5-6K views that Let's All Go To The Trailers used to get.

Heartfyre

I think this is the song Kyle was, uh...tutting at the end. If so, I think his tempo is a little slow. That was the Bosman Slow Waltz A Capella Mix.

I'd like to see Kyle theatrically avoid those annotations appearing, but always failing against the pressures of his external reality, which acts as a metaphor of his current circumstances. Or he can tut out some more sick chiptunes.

Kansoku

I think this is the song Kyle was, uh...tutting at the end. If so, I think his tempo is a little slow. That was the Bosman Slow Waltz A Capella Mix.

I'd like to see Kyle theatrically avoid those annotations appearing, but always failing against the pressures of his external reality, which acts as a metaphor of his current circumstances. Or he can tut out some more sick chiptunes.

Actually, it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRGNGRmRws

The part he sings starts at 0:51

Top Bottom