• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

sora87

I don't understand why they haven't uploaded all of Huber's Resident Evil playthroughs to youtube, seems a shame to lose hours of content like that.

Pappasman

The new MU format is really bad. I enjoyed it because I enjoy watching the GT crew interact but that format doesn't do them any favors.

I don't really like the new format for Mandatory Update. If they're going to almost entirely give up on the "comedy news show" format I don't really see the purpose in continuing to call it Mandatory Update. At that point it's just a podcast with 4-5 scripted jokes and a lot of stories/ad-libbing.

Bring back the desk, or at least have the hosts stand. Standing news+jokes worked fine for Attack of the Show.

Don't cut away to Bosman after every single joke for the sake of having him comment on the joke. It's impossible to build any kind of momentum if every bit has to be followed by an immediate meta-commentary on said bit. I feel like having that Bosman commentary gives them an excuse not to try and sell the joke, just abandoning it and disavowing it the moment a punchline doesn't land. Fail big and fail hard if you're going down in flames.

Exactly. Do the fake news bit or don't. Half-assing it makes it seem lazy, ruins the jokes and the scripted back and forth dialog.

ito007

I don't really like the new format for Mandatory Update. If they're going to almost entirely give up on the "comedy news show" format I don't really see the purpose in continuing to call it Mandatory Update. At that point it's just a podcast with 4-5 scripted jokes and a lot of stories/ad-libbing.

Bring back the desk, or at least have the hosts stand. Standing news+jokes worked fine for Attack of the Show.

Don't cut away to Bosman after every single joke for the sake of having him comment on the joke. It's impossible to build any kind of momentum if every bit has to be followed by an immediate meta-commentary on said bit. I feel like having that Bosman commentary gives them an excuse not to try and sell the joke, just abandoning it and disavowing it the moment a punchline doesn't land. Fail big and fail hard if you're going down in flames.

Great points. I think they'll need to cut down on some commentary. Bosman makes a hilarious "side bitch" but he's not much of one of he's going to talk just as much as everyone else. I would cut his time shorter in the future so that every quip is short but stays golden.

Also, I'd like to see them bring correspondents in the new format. It would give them the freedom they want but keep the news vibe.

In general I'm still encouraged as I wasn't much into the old format

The fact checker has become the fact checked!

Enjoyable MU, but I miss the desk for sure.

Final Bosman better not be on a couch, this ain't Ellen or Oprah.

I disagree, probably one of my favorite MU.
The fun of the outtakes and the jokes, all in one, plus Kyle and Huber to add to the mix.

Yeah, I loved the episode. I will miss the long episodes of Nights where they just shoot the shit for an hour, though. Now we need a "Morning After" podcast.

eFKac

Didn't like the format for an Mandatory Update , it felt like there was an identity crisis.

But I enjoyed it as a show nevertheless, chemistry was there as always.

Kyle's bit around 15:20 slayed me :-D

Also I love those mock up posters, can't wait for the Until Dawn party!

I didn't really have an issue with the format, but it was really weird to have them discuss every single joke after delivering.

Bosman and Huber are always a plus though. Always.

CNEdgbrUsAA8Dkp.jpg

Michael Huber will be playing as Josh.

I want to live in a world where we get both the classic Mandatory Update AND Mandatory Update Nights on a regular basis.
But yeah, really hoping we can see a return to the original format of MU. I don't know why they're mixing it up, unless it was too hard to produce or something. Just keep it the same, it worked great that way.

Szeth

Yo, that's Elliot from Mr. Robot!

Is Huber watching it?

He mentioned on the stream tonight that he does but he's an episode behind. He also correctly called it a 10/10.

As for Man ups I loved the new format but wouldn't mind a desk or standing to make it a bit more like regular MU.

While I enjoyed the episode, I don't think the format is a good fit for Mandatory Update. Too many distractions. Not fast and loose enough for Nights, not scripted enough for a regular MU episode. There's just too much commentary from the others. And with a format like that, how are they going to work in the infamous guest appearances? How would an interview with SAM LAKE work? Or with Ben Moore-San? Would they break the character after every line, because Bosman has to comment on it? Is Don going to do his bit as Detective Casanova, everyone laughes and comments on it and then we see him going back behind he camera?

I love Mandatory Update and Nights equally, but that's because they're very different formats and each offer entertainment in a different way. Just like how I love a good steak or a great fish filet, but don't want them slapped together as a burger.

UrbanRats

He mentioned on the stream tonight that he does but he's an episode behind. He also correctly called it a 10/10.

As for Man ups I loved the new format but wouldn't mind a desk or standing to make it a bit more like regular MU.

More like a 7/10 to me, but it's a lot of fun.

Heartfyre

With Mandatory Update, I like the new format in theory, but I think they need to practice it a bit more, get more comfortable with it. They should avoid explaining the joke after they've told it, though I imagine that Kyle's facial expressions after a couple of those jokes might make them nervously want to -- perhaps he's better off focusing on driving after all! Still, I think it has a lot of great potential if they keep experimenting with the format.

Woffls

The new format doesn't seem right for the show. Mandatory Update Classic was great because the production and format implied that it could be serious, but that was just for creating a context that made the jokes funnier. Take away the context, and you're left with what feels like a deconstruction of an episode of MU Classic that never happened.

I don't mind the curtain being pulled back on MU Classic - in fact, I really enjoyed the occasions where we saw deliberations over what jokes would end up in the show - but it needs to be a separate entity from the actual show. I don't know if blending the two can work.

tok9

I'm not a big fan of the new format either.

I much prefer it when it's either a standard MU or MU Nights. I feel like with this format I miss out in all the funny outtakes they have :)

DMiz

Not a fan of the new format. It feels awkward to see Nights and regular MU mashed together in this way because it ends up feeling unfocused.

While I realize that "fast and loose" is the general feel for both shows, I feel like both shows embody different aspects of this. Nights is just 'loose'; contrast that to old-school MU, which was much tighter and had a faster pace; it's about reading jokes and going from piece to piece.

The new format thus ends up having this really strange, 'start-stop' pacing. Elyse or Ian will deliver a joke - and then we stop for a few minutes. It doesn't feel good.

I get that the team is basically overworked as it is, though. However, if they're still playing around with the format, I think Ian's idea of just making it super short is the best way to go about it. Ideally, for me, what MU would become is:

• 3 weeks out of a month where they just target the most impotant topics and sell us on their best jokes/skits
  • 1 week (the last) of a month where they host MU:Nights, so they can either talk about the topics they skimmed as well as reflecting on the jokes/topics from the 3 previous weeks

I feel like that would give them a better balance with respect to how they want to keep the show more light on its feet.

I don't understand why they haven't uploaded all of Huber's Resident Evil playthroughs to youtube, seems a shame to lose hours of content like that.

I actually messaged their Twitch account a while back to ask whether or not they were going to upload the original Shenmue playthrough, and got a reply saying that it's unfortunately being lost to time. Which is incredibly sad; for those who wanted more of Huber's glorious singing, he attempts to sing the song where Ryo rides a motorcycle after rescuing Nozomi. Needless to say, he exhibited his clarion, angelic voice as you would expect.

border

If they want to have freeform discussion it's fine -- it just doesn't work to do it in the middle of all the scripted content. Model it after the Daily Show - one or two segments of scripted comedy, then a segment of more freeform panel discussion with multiple participants.

Sami+

So I decided to randomly give MU another shot and I'm really glad I did. LOVED the new format. I always really like seeing Elyse and Ian on Tabletop and GT Time but I was oddly disappointed by MU up to this point. Idk, I guess I just never got hooked by the joke news show shtick because I find video game news shows in general to be really boring. I like the relaxed atmosphere a lot better.

Edit - Would also like to see it become an iTunes podcast like Tabletop and GT Time. That would be super convenient for me.

Umibozu

With some time left to think about it more I think the new format is an improvement as it allows them to play off one another for increased hilarity. The classic MU took a lot of production for jokes/bits that were a bit of a hit or miss. They can continue to mold the new format to fit the kind of segments that they want to do. I'm indifferent to the lack of desks too.

With some time left to think about it more I think the new format is an improvement as it allows them to play off one another for increased hilarity. The classic MU took a lot of production for jokes/bits that were a bit of a hit or miss. They can continue to mold the new format to fit the kind of segments that they want to do. I'm indifferent to the lack of desks too.

I think getting the desk back will help. Some jokes play better against the faux-formality of being dressed up behind a desk. Like that Yokai Watch joke would have landed stronger. But I think the interplay and tangents with Side-Bos and the Huber work really well. It's like Conan interacting with Andy during his monolog or Letterman talking with Paul during a bit at his desk. It also allows for the more natural inclusion of guest "characters".

There's a lot to play with there and they can adjust the tempo and complexion a lot to see what works best. I think they could try getting through a few jokes in a row rather than pausing after each, and a third camera for close ups might be nice.

Bittercup

Yeah that's unfortunate. I always watch the shows on their site but missed a lot of the playthroughs on twitch and have been watching what was still available from the past broadcasts but a lot was already lost.
I hope someone has downloaded them and uploads them on youtube if GT doesn't have any backups.

I wish I could watch the Until Dawn slumber party, but I want to play the game with a friend. Until that has happened, I'm on a full media blackout.

so1337

I agree. Old ManUps was kind of hit or miss.
Correction: I have since watched the new episode of MU and it didn't work quite as well as the episode in the car. It's fine to have Bosman there but don't use him as a crutch. He's not the only person at GT that has good sense of humor.

Hasney

Correction: I have since watched the new episode of MU and it didn't work quite as well as the episode in the car. It's fine to have Bosman there but don't use him as a crutch. He's not the only person at GT that has good sense of humor.

Rotating side bitch

tok9

It says 7am PST on reddit, so in about 4 1/2 hours.

Cool, thanks!

I wish I could watch the Until Dawn slumber party, but I want to play the game with a friend. Until that has happened, I'm on a full media blackout.

I wasn't really planning on getting it as I've only a month left (going travelling) to play PS4 games and that will be all MGSV but from what Huber said during the Full playthrough.. let's just say I'm really interested to see the scores the game gets.

Kinda disappointed at the list tbh. Especially sephiroth and the reasons for his inclusion.
Almost all his major villainous acts were actually carried out by Jenova attempting to carry out reunion while the real Sephiroth slept in the crater. If they had talked more about Crisis Core and Zack's fate, sure. But they list the president and Aerith as his victims...nope.

I know the story of FF7 is a bit convoluted and drawn out, but with Brad and Ben currently playing it, i hoped that kinda mistake wouldn't happen.

BreakAtmo

Kinda disappointed at the list tbh. Especially sephiroth and the reasons for his inclusion.
Almost all his major villainous acts were actually carried out by Jenova attempting to carry out reunion while the real Sephiroth slept in the crater. If they had talked more about Crisis Core and Zack's fate, sure. But they list the president and Aerith as his victims...nope.

I know the story of FF7 is a bit convoluted and drawn out, but with Brad and Ben currently playing it, i hoped that kinda mistake wouldn't happen.

I'm pretty sure I remember that's actually all Sephiroth. The Sephiroths you meet that do all the evil shit are transformed pieces of Jenova, but they're controlled by Sephiroth mentally. I may be wrong, but from what I know, Jenova's the puppet.

Umibozu

On friday's stream ben mentioned how many reviewers at the reviewing event didn't make it very far into mgs5 and were playing the game poorly (I'm paraphrasing and can't watch twitch archives so if anyone wants to, feel free to correct me on exactly what ben had said), and he said that to expect to hear misinformation being spread because of this. I don't know but in light of the misinformation spread already by gamespot would it be beneficial to let others in gaf became aware of this?

I'm pretty sure I remember that's actually all Sephiroth. The Sephiroths you meet that do all the evil shit are transformed pieces of Jenova, but they're controlled by Sephiroth mentally. I may be wrong, but from what I know, Jenova's the puppet.
You're right, but being that the story itself is convoluted and the game itself never explains that sephiroth gained control of jenova at any point, which is why many believed that jenova had overpowered sephiroth and sephiroth was a puppet. The only reason people became aware of the fact that sephiroth gained control of jenova was because the ff7 ultimecia which seems more like the creators were trying to cover for a plothole(poor storytelling) that they created.

Auctopus

Umibozu: he didn't say 'misinformation'. He explained how he noticed several journalists didn't make it very far through the game so to take some reviews with a pinch of salt most likely because they generalise the rest of their view due to how they saw the first few hours.

I.e. 1+1= 2 so 2+2 = 4 which isn't true in video games.

Also, where did GT pick up the image of spoiler-filled reviews? I've followed them for several years and have never noticed spoilers for the most part (no more than any other outlet). The trigger-happy disdain for a GT review really got me down in the last couple days.

Umibozu

Umibozu: he didn't say 'misinformation'. He explained how he noticed several journalists didn't make it very far through the game so to take some reviews with a pinch of salt most likely because they generalise the rest of their view due to how they saw the first few hours.

I.e. 1+1= 2 so 2+2 = 4 which isn't true in video games.

Also, where did GT pick up the image of spoiler-filled reviews? I've followed them for several years and have never noticed spoilers for the most part (no more than any other outlet). The trigger-happy disdain for a GT review really got me down in the last couple days.
Ok, I was thinking that I might have misheard him, just wanted to make sure before I posted in one of the other threads.

Also didn't realise that their rewiews were seen in such a way, it could be people just hold illogical dislike of GT and express it by saying that (as I noticed post e3 when their viewship increased so did the detractors by becoming more vocal). I always listen to their reviews and found them to be spoiler free for the most part like you said.

UrbanRats

Back in the Shane days they had a reputation for being a bit too spoiler happy in some reviews.
YMMV with this stuff though, as some people are more sensible to spoilers than others.

Personally i just don't remember whether it was true or just a myth, tbh.

Vinc

I like all MU episodes, but that's because I'm a big fan of GT already. I feel like their very best episodes that are good for reasons beyond "liking the GT staff" are the E3 / events ones. I love when they interview random people about games. I'd love to see them switch the format to them going out on the streets and asking random people what they think about video game related news with their usual humor, even if those people aren't necessarily huge gaming fans. I just like that format for some reason. It has potential. And Elyse and Ian are probably the best at spontaneous humor, I'd leverage that.

Top Bottom