• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Hasney

Two things just learned from the stream; brandon's bad at mario games and that gametrailers trying to make money off merch was previously unsuccessful.

Was that before it had personality though? I don't think slapping a GT logo or Marcus Beers face on something is going to sell.

Bosman t-shirts based on Schluffe, Liquid Bosman or even the bottle of Sprite having a baby with Jet Moto? That's gold. Tabletop Adventures is pretty ripe for some good stuff too.

If I was going to explore if it could be doing now, if probably hold a fan contest to design one, pick a Top 3/5/10 for people to vote on it, then crowd source it so you know if you'll hit a minimum print run for it to be profitable or not.

Umibozu

Was that before it had personality though? I don't think slapping a GT logo or Marcus Beers face on something is going to sell.

Bosman t-shirts based on Schluffe, Liquid Bosman or even the bottle of Sprite having a baby with Jet Moto? That's gold. Tabletop Adventures is pretty ripe for some good stuff too.

If I was going to explore if it could be doing now, if probably hold a fan contest to design one, pick a Top 3/5/10 for people to vote on it, then crowd source it so you know if you'll hit a minimum print run for it to be profitable or not.

Well that's why I said previously.

Yes, the previous apparel might not have been popular due to the content tied to it and crowdfunding the current apparel would be a good metric to show tangible support.
One would also have to consider that back then their audience that would potentially buy the apparel was a fair amount larger than it is currently. Providing apparel now isn't going to make boatloads of money, nor is it necessarily meant to. It would be more to provide a service that would appease their fanbase. Hopefully the service they're trying to provide gets a positive response.
My off the hand remark was moreso to those suggesting that the route of selling merch and doing patreons would lead them down to the track to success.
The defy corporate structure allows for merch, so we know that's good. From a corporate view GT's path to success lies in growing their audience first.

The biggest roadblocks to gametrailers success I see currently are related to man-power and equipment issues. The lack of workforce impedes their ability to provide regular consistent content (trailerscore/tabletop/gt-time/reviews) and currently the staff end up running themselves ragged trying to hold the ship together. Equipment issues speaks for itself for anyone that regularly watches their streams.

Edit:
I guess no GT time because bosman is on holiday?
no gt time this week

wiibomb

no final bosman or GT Time this week, I feel sad :(

btw, wasn't there going to be a peace walker retrospective today? I was waiting for it

Has there been no more FFVII streaming in a while? Timezone and Twitch running like junk on my system means I'm reliant on the youtube archive and there hasn't been a new one since part 6, 2 weeks ago.

sora87

Has there been no more FFVII streaming in a while? Timezone and Twitch running like junk on my system means I'm reliant on the youtube archive and there hasn't been a new one since part 6, 2 weeks ago.

They tried last week but their streaming was all messed up, think they're doing it tonight

Loving this Layers of Fear stream with Elyse and Huber. They should do more of these horror streams with this duo. Huber sweating and reacting was awesome. Buckled

Auctopus

Just watched the Layers of Fear stream, really good stream. Does anyone know how the scares work in that game? Are they 'random' like PT or are they scripted?

Slowly making my way through the Until Dawn pyjama party, got about an hour and a half left. Really enjoying it but my God, does Ian ever shut up? He's constantly rabbiting on, with next to nothing to say. I like him, but Christ, give it a rest, man.

Ian is my favourite :

I'm talking solely about the Until Dawn stream. I like him, he's very funny, but he was just constantly going on and on. Some times he'd be talking so much that Blood would have to point something out and then Ian would bite back with "Don't Sherpa us, Blood!" He has to, Ian, nobody could hear what was being said because you were talking about some old teacher you had in college who was involved with some film.

Anyway. I finished the stream last night. What a fantastic ending. Elyse really fucked 'em good and proper. Huber playing for all of 3 minutes was funny. Excellent steam all in all. Would love them to do more playthroughs like this.

I'm talking solely about the Until Dawn stream. I like him, he's very funny, but he was just constantly going on and on. Some times he'd be talking so much that Blood would have to point something out and then Ian would bite back with "Don't Sherpa us, Blood!" He has to, Ian, nobody could hear what was being said because you were talking about some old teacher you had in college who was involved with some film.

Anyway. I finished the stream last night. What a fantastic ending. Elyse really fucked 'em good and proper. Huber playing for all of 3 minutes was funny. Excellent steam all in all. Would love them to do more playthroughs like this.

The funny thing with Huber's part is that when I started picking roles, I had no idea how long each would get to play, but he was hardcore about being "Mr. Robot" and was actually one of the few that wanted a specific character. Wasn't until we'd already started that I realized that even though he's in a ton of scenes, Josh was barely even playable.

Bummer that these guys have struggled to put out content lately (don't really care about their editorial stuff). Kyle seems like the glue that keeps things together. Tabletop has had like one episode since E3 :(

Bummer that these guys have struggled to put out content lately (don't really care about their editorial stuff). Kyle seems like the glue that keeps things together. Tabletop has had like one episode since E3 :(

*flips table

Kidding, but yeah, we've been putting out a fair amount of stuff. Solid string of reviews and previews and the Retro. Streams have changed at the last minute in cases, but we still did something even if we had to switch it up. Really the main reason some of the shows have "struggled" just comes down to people being out - which can make it hard for a show like TTA because it literally requires half the team to be present.

Mariolee

Yeah it's really dawned on me recently how much GT needs each and every one of their staff members and when one of them goes on vacation you always feel it. Hope things start looking up. If anything I've been watching every single one of their videos and am always hungry for more. I will say that as Blood stated above, in spite of the smaller staff they've been putting out a ridiculous amount of content as there have been tons of reviews, streams everyday, and a ton of original programming. It's impressive as hell. I want GT to succeed D:

wiibomb

Probably your best top 10 in a long time, not the placings, but the actual content, reasoning and information.

yeah, I liked it a lot, it does have a nice amount of content well explained. The actual positions doesn't matter much to me since I barely check them, but the content was nice

Am I the only one who just realized the GT Reviews Youtube page has the URL

Are they all owned by Defy Media? Just funny I never noticed it before.

Edit: Watching Huber Hype and holy moly I never realized how tall Bloodworth is. How much more awesome can this guy get?
SMOSH games is what Clevver Games used to be. If you look up Clevver Games you'll see the video explaining it.

Only one mention of Persona 5. I am disappoint.

Also, I like how he mentioned all those big AAA games that have come out as "something for everyone" and I've not played a single one. Arkham Knight will probably be the one I get to first. Bloodborne? Not a fan of the Souls games, sorry (I tried with Demon's Souls, it wasn't for me). Witcher 3? I've never played a Witcher game, why would I suddenly jump in here. MGSV? Haven't played beaten anything past Sons of Liberty~ (I remembered I've played like 30 minutes of Snake Eater).

Also, Kyle is factually correct that there's nothing else that matters movie wise sans The Force Awakens.

Am I the only one who just realized the GT Reviews Youtube page has the URL

Are they all owned by Defy Media? Just funny I never noticed it before.

Edit: Watching Huber Hype and holy moly I never realized how tall Bloodworth is. How much more awesome can this guy get?

Yeah, that channel has a long history and we sort of inherited it. I probably don't even know the full story.

Used to be ClevverGames that somehow branched off into a separate Smosh Games channel. Then became Escapist News. Then when we came in, they changed it to GTNews. Then when we started really figuring out what to do with YouTube we changed it to GTReviews. We managed to change the URL so that GTReviews actually works when you type it in, but YouTube doesn't have a way to change the original user name.

Top Bottom