• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

-shadow-

I'll try to preserve when I wake up (it's now 05:02 and I have yet to sleep because of this news). But with my connection I'll be happy if I can even manage to download a single video! :(

Woffls

Huge thanks to anyone archiving. 4am here but will do what I can tomorrow. Would hate to lose all those MU and Bosman episodes :(

The first thing I could think of that might be lost that I treasure is the Zelda retrospective, downloading that now!

If anyone can tell me any Bosman videos not on YouTube, I'll try to get them. Also, someone please get the last Twitch stream, it's still up so far!

GHG

Gold Member
What the hell??

Nooooo! This is the only place I rate for video reviews at the moment. Fuck.

Hopefully they can group together and set something up of their own.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Damn,the GT forums was my first gaming forum.

So many good times there. Rules were way more lax than GAF which could lead to crazy but hilarious threads.

RIP

border

I think it's more to it than that though. Traffic directly to their site would have generated higher revenue which allowed for better production quality and more staff. Going to YouTube would have limited them.

This was obviously their ideal scenario. But between their often-broken GT.com video player and just the general trend of gaming video content shifting onto YouTube, they got squeezed out pretty hard. It reminds me of 1Up.com, who also struggled to maintain an audience due to poor technology behind their website.

Afrodium

Banned
It really sucks because they were really reimagining the site in the last few months. GT Time has been running longer, they've finally started swearing, Mandatory Update is like an hour of the crew just bullshitting, and they really started putting their personalities front and center. I've been visiting GameTrailers for probably a decade now, maybe longer, and these past few months it's been the best it's ever been. I'm bummed.

hlhbk

Also FYI I think I have 95% of the retrospectives downloaded already. I have the major ones for sure, Metal Gear, Zelda, Castlevania, etc.

the_id

Did DEFY media breach any employment rights here? I feel like these guys are being treated and let go unfairly. So, after being told a few hours that they're being fired, the won't have a job tomorrow???

If so, then that is terrible and I hope some legal action can be done. I don't think that process was done Justly.

Linkyn

Also FYI I think I have 95% of the retrospectives downloaded already. I have the major ones for sure, Metal Gear, Zelda, Castlevania, etc.

That is reassuring. I managed to get some that were reuploaded to youtube, but not all of them.

So is it too early to start the #FuckDefy movement?

I don't think that's fair.

I'm as upset as anybody, but it doesn't really seem like it's Defy's fault. They even said in their final stream not to be upset at Defy. GT's views just weren't high enough to keep that staff alive. Defy picked them up as part of a deal that included brands like Smosh, they didn't even necessarily want what seemed to be the already failing site. But Defy definitely gave them a fair shake, all things considered.

I just don't understand why they gave them such incredibly short notice. That seems like a dick move, without any further context. I'm not even sure what context could justify that.

But I'm still glad we got to enjoy GT as long as we did.

It's a shame the last few threads they've had on Gaf have been full of so much negativity lol.

LiK

do you have the playlist link for the old Retros? i don't see it on YouTube.

happy that many other channels have the older Retros up so that helps.

Thank you so much, was that on YouTube?

Seriously, I can't thank you enough. I was supposed to be studying for a Calculus 3 exam and doing homework for it, but fuck that, you only get one chance to make sure to preserve your memories. Just listening to the Zelda music on the retrospective, with the sad flute and piano, I feel like crying.. :'(

Edit:

Is this the year of tragedy??

Bizzquik

I don't know where to go now.

I don't know whom to turn to for first-rate discussion and always-pleasant conversation.
On sad days at work, I even had their streams on for background noise sometimes; their friendly, game-centric banter reminded me of days gone by with my buddies back home. Those were happy thoughts, and these were fun streams.

The always-present Brandon Jones' review score voiceover with accompanying, well-cut video editing made their vids seem like the definitive word on a game's quality. I trusted the points made in their vids because I could literally see their points in action on-screen.

I can't believe that this site with 10 people - with this noted, decade-long background - couldn't find a way to exist in today's internet. What the hell has happened nowadays? Is everything YouTube & Twitch and nothing else? I want no part of that video game world; its stale and unfocused. Its noise. And far too little of it is friendly or fun.

border

I just don't understand why they gave them such incredibly short notice. That seems like a dick move, without any further context. I'm not even sure what context could justify that.

You generally don't want people hanging around very long after they're fired......especially if you have a lot of expensive stuff in your offices that they could break or steal. Not that I think the GT crew would do that, but generally speaking that's why you don't hand someone a pink slip and have them keep working for you.

LiK

is someone downloading all episodes of GT Time already?

i don't think YouTube has all of them which makes this harder.

if anyone has the older Final Bosmans, lemme know. it appears YT only has 102 and i found a wiki that says there's like 114 eps?

wiibomb

i don't think YouTube has all of them which makes this harder.

if anyone has the older Final Bosmans, lemme know. it appears YT only has 102 and i found a wiki that says there's like 114 eps?

The last episode said it was 129.

I really hope someone can download those.

AniHawk

i really hope this is an eye-opener for how much the industry has already changed. games just aren't a big draw anymore. it's movies/tv and music, which is why you see big places like ign and gamespot focusing on them more and more.

this was a really rough day between the ominous mad catz news, gametrailers shutting down, and the visual representation of a gaming platform's decline (vita). i don't think it's getting any better either.

jones has always had a voice i liked, and i would tune in to gametrailers reviews just to hear him talk about what worked or didn't work in a game. kyle bosman's a cool guy too, and i love his vibe. never really followed anyone else, but you can't deny the legitimate enthusiasm they showed at e3, and the love they had for each other. i hope they land on their feet and do well moving forward.

Garlador

Man, this sucks. GT was great, and I followed them since the very beginning.

Their review videos, their countdown vids, their E3 coverage... it was head and shoulders above the competition.

I'll miss it, and I hope everyone lands on their feet.

akileese

Seriously, I can't thank you enough. I was supposed to be studying for a Calculus 3 exam and doing homework for it, but fuck that, you only get one chance to make sure to preserve your memories. Just listening to the Zelda music on the retrospective, with the sad flute and piano, I feel like crying.. :'(

Some of them were on youtube and some weren't. I grabbed castlevania, diablo, final fantasy, mario kart, MGS, Metroid, MK, RE, Silen Hill (Can't find 2), Star Wars, Warcraft, and Zelda. I also got the timelines as well (zelda, MGS, and KH) since I'm not sure if their youtube channel will cease to exist as well.

E: Thank you to anyone who pulls the GT Times because holy hell there are a lot of them.

hlhbk

Edit:

Is this the year of tragedy??

I already had them from back when you could download videos from their site. I have:

Castlevania

Final Fantasy

Halo

Metal Gear

Metroid

Mortal Kombat

Tomb Raider

Warcraft

Zelda

I will focus on what I am doing right now. I don't think there is a way to mass download from the site cause their player fucking sucks. If things are still up when I finish what I am working on I will hop on there to help where I can.

Cool. We've been able to get video urls from the CDN they use. My biggest worry is AFAIK we have no info on when the site will go away.

The one video that seems to be missing from both the site and any other source (Youtube) is the Fallout Retrospective. Anyone have a copy of that?

LiK

The last episode said it was 129.

I really hope someone can download those.

damn, i need to double check if i burned off the earlier ones. i sorta remember i downloaded his show way back but i dunno how much i have. burned it off my HDDs so it's on some Blu-ray somewhere.

I already had them from back when you could download videos from their site. I have:

Castlevania

Final Fantasy

Halo

Metal Gear

Metroid

Mortal Kombat

Tomb Raider

Warcraft

Zelda

Do you have a YouTube channel?

BTW, this is probably less efficient than other methods, but go to pastebin.com/tdq41qQ9 for instructions to download individual GT videos from Chrome.

hlhbk

Cool. We've been able to get video urls from the CDN they use. My biggest worry is AFAIK we have no info on when the site will go away.

The one video that seems to be missing from both the site and any other source (Youtube) is the Fallout Retrospective. Anyone have a copy of that?

I have the fallout retrospective as well!

LiK

I don't think they deserve such a movement.

The last minute notice was truly a dick move for sure, but it is very far from the shitshow shenanigans Konami has pulled.

yea, seemed like they were still able to do what they wanted even tho you can tell they were working with a tighter budget for some shows. but yea, i wish they weren't told the day of that it was the end. i hope they make some bootleg videos of ideas they had before they were fired.

Top Bottom