• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

FYI the gt tv stuff is all promos and short spots. I am skipping that. I am moving onto pop fiction.

So promos and short spots for the real stuff on Gametrailers.com? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions too quick, just wanting to see if I can help by downloading GT videos, even if it'd be one at a time.

Considering most of their vids had moved to YouTube, the writing was on the wall.

Bosman and co. should land on their feet. Hell, IGN, Gamespot, and Polygon will likely get into a bidding war to hire Bosman.

kurahador

fitz%2Bdo%2Bsomething.gif

Seriously though, can someone realistically do something about this? There are less and less well known media video game reviewers now.

Feels like Game Informer is next I'm afraid.

hlhbk

So promos and short spots for the real stuff on Gametrailers.com? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions too quick, just wanting to see if I can help by downloading GT videos, even if it'd be one at a time.

If they got the full gt tv episodes on the site download those. They aren't on youtube.

Also FYI all 4 seasons of pop fiction are confirmed on youtube!

Raxus

Considering most of their vids had moved to YouTube, the writing was on the wall.

Bosman and co. should land on their feet. Hell, IGN, Gamespot, and Polygon will likely get into a bidding war to hire Bosman.

Brandon, Kyle, and Ben are great catches (assuming they don't do their own thing) and should land somewhere nice I hope.

Heck most the staff should be picked up immediately. Ian should follow Elise :p

Shang

This sentence triggered in my mind the idea of Bosman being on an IGN podcast, specifically NVC, and my mind melted a little. Seems too good to be true, and Bosman's not the kind of hire IGN would fight for, I don't think. I think Polygon is a better fit.

hlhbk

I will warn you guys it might seem like I vanish for a significant amount of time. I work crazy hours. I will subscribe here and post what I end up with. I will update tonight as I get them.

2SeeKU

I wonder if they'll form their own site?
I sure hope so, GT was really my only source of games media other then GAF.

#DownWithDefy

NightOnyx

Man this sucks. I can't believe how sudden it is all happening. I could rant about everything, but I rather skip that and thank GT for all the amazing content over the year. GT reviews were ones I always trusted and listening to Jones was always a pleasure. I always got excited whenever I saw a new Top 10 from them, and things like their Timeline videos and the Pop fact/fiction videos showed just how passionate, knowledgeable, and hard working these people were. It really is such sad knew, and I wish nothing but the best for all the GT employees, I hope they are all able to find jobs soon.

Linkyn

Think I'm almost done with the retrospectives / pop fiction (why is this so tedious!?!). Glad I don't have a data cap : /

Luigiv

Did DEFY media breach any employment rights here? I feel like these guys are being treated and let go unfairly. So, after being told a few hours that they're being fired, the won't have a job tomorrow???

If so, then that is terrible and I hope some legal action can be done. I don't think that process was done Justly.

I doubt it. The laws are rigged quite heavily in the employers favour when it comes to redundancies. Hopefully the boys broke out with some sort of severance package, though from my understanding (read: 5 second google search) those aren't mandatory in California.

Rozart

Seriously crushed. GT Time was the only gaming podcast I listened to and The Final Bosman show was so much fun.

Love the current crew that they have right now. Hoping that they'll somehow find a way to stay together and start their own website somehow.

Can't say I didn't see this coming but not today. I expected them to last this generation. I want to know what they think of VR. I want to know what they think of E3 2016. I want to see their reactions and their top 10s and their predictions and their segments.

Goddamn this is sad. :(

There's genuinely so much they could've done as a company to change things but its just too late now. I'll miss you, GT. You were seriously the best gaming content provider, and my go-to source for everything.

Thanks to everyone in the team for providing us with the gift of their enthusiasm.

YouTube killed the independent internet stars.

Zalman

Horrible news to wake up to. GameTrailers was my number one favorite website for gaming videos. It was unique and there's still nothing like it.

OK, I am downloading the GT Reviews channel archive as of right now since hlhbk is handling the main one. I will organize everything on my computer in the same way they have on the channel. This way, if the channel gets deleted, I can upload everything and have it retain the same structure as they had it. I'd prefer not to upload all of their stuff until it is actually deleted from their channel on YouTube, though. But I will have it downloaded, just in case. I have nothing going on for the next few days other than working on virtual reality videos for my own channel, so I should have plenty of time to take care of this. I will post updates in this thread.

Think I'm almost done with the retrospectives / pop fiction (why is this so tedious!?!). Glad I don't have a data cap : /

Nice, you're grabbing pop fiction? I started with the ones that are on youtube (since it was easier) and was going to dive into the ones that aren't on the youtube Pop Fiction playlist.

I still can't believe this. I watch every show they have each week and especially love the E3 coverage they do. The entire crew was awesome as you could really see the genuine passion each of them have for video games. Thank you to the entire GT staff for providing hours of amazing content every week for so many years, I truly am going to miss the crew and wish nothing but the best for them all in the future in whatever they do hopefully still in the video game industry.

HAWDOKEN

True story: I was just listening to the GT Time podcast and they were joking about what would happen if Defy were to stop paying them (or something like that).

I'm really surprised about this. I enjoyed their shows over the years and shout out to Bosman because he really injected a lot of positivity and honest enthusiasm into the community at large.

Thanks for all of the memories GT. I'm sorry to see you go, but I hope those affected bounce back.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
What a fucked up thing to wake up to. :(

I'm seriously going to miss Final Bosman and GT Time, they are.. were two of my favorite shows to watch on YT, the dynamic between those guys was just so.. perfect. Fuck, man, fuck. ;_;

orochi91

OK, I am downloading the GT Reviews channel archive as of right now since hlhbk is handling the main one. I will organize everything on my computer in the same way they have on the channel. This way, if the channel gets deleted, I can upload everything and have it retain the same structure as they had it. I'd prefer not to upload all of their stuff until it is actually deleted from their channel on YouTube, though. But I will have it downloaded, just in case.

Great idea.

Their stuff needs to be archived.

FTF

Thank you to all those archiving everything.

And thank you so much GT and the amazing staff for all your years of great vids and content, etc.

You will be very missed.

Bluenoser

Very last GT Youtube video (Mandatory Update) was a "fixed" Bloodborne review where they gave it a 10/10. Not sure what that was about. Anyone know the significance?

Fess

This sucks. Best place to be around E3, can't see anyone else being able to take their place with content and quality.

ameleco

Not too surprising. I was saying to my friend the other day how I hadn't visited in awhile and how most of their shows were dead like pop fiction. I feel like once they stopped producing new shows and AVGN left, so did most of the audience. Sad :(

Wow i visited Gametrailers all the time back in the day. And for the past year or so I started to really get back into their content. I figured they weren't doing as well but I'd thought after some time they would completely bounce back. Very sad but it was a very talented crew sure they'll be picked up soon.

Top Bottom