• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Sad for the people that may have lost thier jobs. I hope they bounce back. That said the vibe of that site has been in a steady decline imo. When they changd the video player a few months ago I officially stopped visiting all together.

Yo but let me know if anyone plans to do anything darksouls 3 related. I will watch the hell out of that content.

Jashobeam

Real shame, they put out some great content over the years especially their retrospective stuff. Hopefully the youtube stuff lives on.

Drencrom

Thanks Ian.

untitled-1jxrct.gif

Bloodborne, GT's first and only 10

I hate this. I go to GameTrailers and Neogaf. That's it. Half my gaming world just died. They had the damn dream team of employees. I can't handle how sad this makes me. I wish them all the best.

Paper Lion

Neo Member
It might not be much in the grand scheme of things, but the world is an ever so slightly worse place without GameTrailers in it.

Wow this sucks. I've loved GT for ages. In this day in age of YouTube & Twitch it does seem that working out of an expensive studio in Santa Monica is a bit wasteful. Good luck going forward guys.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
This is really surreal news to me after using their forums from about 2007 to 2012 and then basically ignoring them until now. I only went there because the AVGN was uploading his content there, and then started using the forums. I don't really miss the forums, since I wound up really disliking the site by that time. I don't really recognize any of the people on the stream, so I guess they got new people? I just remember Shane Satterfield and I didn't like him at all.

schuey7

Shit, they and neogaf are the only sites I regularly visited for game news and videos .Their reviews are the one that I looked forward to and trusted the most.

Davilmar

This year just keeps comings with the losses and deaths. I have been coming to GT for years, since their original Black review. It's a punch in the stomach, to be sure. :(

DKHF

This is surprising and terrible news, I hope/know all of their talent will be able to land on their feet now. I only started listening to it in July 2015 but GT Time had became my favourite games podcast, so I'm really going to miss it.

I hope Bosman, Huber, Ian and more start a Patreon or something that is a spiritual successor to that they were doing because it will be missed. I was looking forward to their E3 coverage this year too after how good last year's was.

RIP GameTrailers.

Airola

OH MY!

I am legit shocked. Just a few hours ago I watched a couple of GT Times that I hadn't had time to watch earlier. I guess this information came just as I was watching them. Didn't have a clue about that at all.

Gametrailers was one of the rare gaming sites I checked out regularly.

This must've hurt Brandon like hell...

All the best to the Gametrailers crew. I really hope they'll continue doing their stuff in a way or another.

EDIT:
oh my god, watching the twitch stream recording's end speeches now, Brandon's voice is cracking, he's so close to crying there, I don't know if I can continue watching, it's so sad :´(

So I upload brandon's final farewell. pretty sad to see them go. I use to watch and listen to their content and leave it up in the background from all those long nights studying. And now all that studying has finally given my career, the moment they go away. Really sucks that the only game media source I go to outside of Neogaf shuts down. Yet I see so many youtube and twitch channels become so successful for whatever reasons. Good to see other people on gaf preserve their content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msvxdA2O5qc

This isn't right...it's just not right...

Seriously I hope I won't miss all the fine folks at GT for long, and they'll move on to better things.

But I've been following them since '06. I'll miss it. You all deserve the best.

Seriously this freaking sucks, I'm really bummed about this news. It was my most visited gamesite after this one. I watched GT Time every week and Final Bossman. Also watched a lot of their other content from time to time. Feel bad for all of those working there, I hope they can land on their feet. Always loved watching them and hope they continue to do things in this industry. They were the best crew to speak about videogames because they weren't cynical like most of the sites these days. Wish each and every one of them, health, happiness, and success in all their future endeavors.

VanWinkle

This is really surreal news to me after using their forums from about 2007 to 2012 and then basically ignoring them until now. I only went there because the AVGN was uploading his content there, and then started using the forums. I don't really miss the forums, since I wound up really disliking the site by that time. I don't really recognize any of the people on the stream, so I guess they got new people? I just remember Shane Satterfield and I didn't like him at all.

They've been amazing for the past few years. I started watching them early 2013 when Kyle Bosman got on there. They have had tons of great stuff.

I'm worried about their tabletop episodes because they recently encountered an issue with them on iTunes. I remember them saying something about prepping to fix the issue but I don't remember if they ever resolved it. It's scary cuz YouTube only has the later episodes, so podcast is the only way to go for the early D&D stuff, besides the GT site.

angelic

Banned
Its been coming, seeing them downgrade offices over the last year or so was milton from Office Space - move to the new place, move to the back, move to the basement...they went from fancy offices to Brandon in with everyone else in a cuboard. Look at Defys portfolio...fucking cage potato. Cage potato! But no GT. Idiots.

Uhyve

Can you download in mass?
It'd probably be possible to create a quick crawler since the videos aren't hidden too well, but I don't have much experience in that sort of thing.

I've got a spare 500GB and a 70Mb connection though if someone codes one up.

caleb1915

Between the two paterons they are currently set for 900,000 dollars in 2016. I am sure Patreon takes some cut of that, but after that the money is somehow split amongst Greg, Colin, Tim, Nick, and Kevin.

But there is also sponsorships and ad revenue, so who knows where that puts the final total.

--------------------------------------
As for GT, that is definitely sad to hear. I didn't follow the website but would definitely watch the occasional video and respected them.

Living in Santa Monica isn't cheap tho.

Top Bottom