• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

SegaShack

Very sad about this. Gametrailers was always a class above every other game site and had the best production values period. Their original content was great, their reviews were always fair, and it was just a great site. Even their partnerships with Pachter and Screwattack were always fun to watch. For many years it was my go to website. Best wishes for the staff.

One of the only gaming sites I enjoyed. With the recent changes, I saw this coming, but damn it's sad. Hopefully some of these guys go on to do something together like a youtube channel or something.

iNvid02

Everything on YouTube. I am sure there's stuff on the site not on youtube. I do have to work tomorrow so I hope it stays up for a few days so I can get everything.
their YouTube goes back 4 years, but there is loads of original content older than that only on the site and more difficult to download en masse

This is getting to me emotionally in a way I didn't expect. I really enjoyed hanging out with them through GT Time, and it'll be a sad day if Kyle and Huber don't get to share the screen more in the future :(

RIP GT, I wonder how this is affecting Jones

Their Zelda timeline video is one of the best made video game lore videos on the Internet. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
god I loved GT so much, it was my go to site for like 10 years. Only in the last 3 have I not been researching much on current game dev stuff (thanks DOTA2)

My all time highlight was getting my question added to the top Pach Attack questions of the year. Hearing Pachter try to say my name as "Anook zee na moon" was pretty funny.
So good :D

Had to watch this video to appreciate how much joy these guys bring to the gaming community.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZYUq-jzLUg

kennyamr

Thanks Ian.

untitled-1jxrct.gif

My new favorite gif <3

hlhbk

Anyone out there that can find the retrospectives on youtube I can download them. I have a lot of them already but not all.

GametimeUK

I am so annoyed that we won't get the episode of GT Time with the correction that there was no correction music playing during corrections (mouthful). That happened last last episode and would have been corrected next episode.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
They've been amazing for the past few years. I started watching them early 2013 when Kyle Bosman got on there. They have had tons of great stuff.

That's so weird to me. Because whenever I think of them now, I just remember things like how Michael Patcher said that RTS games don't work on consoles because they're single player and turn-based. I kinda do wish I stuck around to see them get better.

I don't mean to be overly negative about them back then, because I did like their Retrospectives and I still think the guy that does voice over for them has an awesome voice. I think I've just come to associate them with a part of my life where I feel like I was an outright prick to people over something as petty as video games, and I can't really fault them for having people saying really dumb things on their forums.

dex3108

If I had enough money I would paid them to continue doing good work even if they are not profitable. Because sometimes it is not about money it is about people, atmosphere and vibe. :(

caleb1915

I seriously think Kyle Bosman should consider negotiating with Giant Bomb and CBS to host new episodes on the site, and their youtube channel.

I'm not so sure how the GB community will react on some of Kyle's views considering how matter of fact he can be that the community as a whole loves to point out that you can't be 100% for certain.

Fjordson

End of an era. Put out a lot of great content over the years. Hope the staff all lands on their feet soon.

I loved their retrospectives in particular. I remember really liking the Warcraft one for example

I remember when Damiani messaged me for my ps2 memory card when they were doing their pop fiction video for persona 4. I was glad to be even contributing even a tiny little bit to their content output.

Gametrailers you will be missed

border

The writing has been on the wall for a long time, I think.

It still seems like a strange decision, considering that Defy Media only bought them like 18 months ago. You would have thought they'd keep trying to turn it around, but maybe that ship has sailed. During the time when they could have become YouTube stars they were insistent on using their website to distribute videos......and by the time they switched to YouTube that market was way too crowded for them to gain any traction. If you put me in charge of GT, I would be pretty clueless as to how to turn the operation around.

Durden77

I always enjoyed their reviews. Sometimes they didn't always hit my mark, but they were always well produced and thorough. Perfect for turning on when I had a little over 5 minutes to kill.

They'll be missed.

Shang

Jesus, I was just watching their stream today, and they seemed completely normal advertising tomorrow's stream. This suuuucks, and I really hope most of the people here get back together in a new, smaller effort a la Kinda Funny and Jim Sterling, or at the very least, they get good hires. If Bosman stops making his stuff, I will lose my shit.

EDIT: and FUCK, GT Time is my favorite goddamn podcast. uuuuuuuuggghhhhhhh, I hope everyone lands on their feet, I need to hear more from them ASAP.

Truly heartbroken about this. I absolutely love the GT crew. I hope you all see all of this a know how great each and every one of you are. You were like a family.

I legit scheduled my work day around GT shows. They always have me something to look forward to as the week progressed. I wish everybody the best and hope to see more of every person. I can't say enough good things about you all.

Please go the Kinda Funny route and start your own thing. I would be happy to offer whatever support I could.

That's the next channel once this is done. Like I said though the main channel is going to take me a few days since I have work and life.

Archiveteam is attempting to archive the site and content. Unfortunately GameTrailers is blocking us so it's a more manual and ugly process than normal. :(

If you do IRC, feel free to hop on to EFnet #archiveteam where we're loosely organizing.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just cannot believe gametrailers ended so suddenly. I mean i sort of knew this was going to happen just not this way.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time, I think.

It still seems like a strange decision, considering that Defy Media only bought them like 18 months ago. You would have thought they'd keep trying to turn it around, but maybe that ship has sailed. During the time when they could have become YouTube stars they were insistent on using their website to distribute videos......and by the time they switched to YouTube that market was way too crowded for them to gain any traction. If you put me in charge of GT, I would be pretty clueless as to how to turn the operation around.

I think it's more to it than that though. Traffic directly to their site would have generated higher revenue which allowed for better production quality and more staff. Going to YouTube would have limited them.

Shit is sad news though.

hlhbk

Archiveteam is attempting to archive the site and content. Unfortunately GameTrailers is blocking us so it's a more manual and ugly process than normal. :(

If you do IRC, feel free to hop on to EFnet #archiveteam where we're loosely organizing.

I will focus on what I am doing right now. I don't think there is a way to mass download from the site cause their player fucking sucks. If things are still up when I finish what I am working on I will hop on there to help where I can.

LiK

I will focus on what I am doing right now. I don't think there is a way to mass download from the site cause their player fucking sucks. If things are still up when I finish what I am working on I will hop on there to help where I can.

bought the program. $20 is a lot of time saved for me! thank you so much! gonna grab as much as i can before they're gone.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for your efforts guys. Seriously.

Mr. RPG

I used to visit GameTrailers all the time a long, long time ago.

One of the very first video reviews I ever watched was from GameTrailers, but I can't seem to find it. It seems a lot of their old videos are gone. :(

Top Bottom