• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
GT used to be amazing before 2010. YouTube simply became the place to get trailers and reviews for games and other things. Unfortunately, this day was long coming.

Their reviews were the best back then.

nVm5T3G.png

Painguy

Wait what?!?!? GT was the only game media outlet I actually trusted. They genuinely seemed to love games, and were never dicks about the things they didn't like :(

Yeah I got it up here if anyone missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msvxdA2O5qc

I can't imagine how Brandon must have felt. Doing something for 13 years...they even had a team meeting a week ago to discuss their 2016 plan.
;_;

They need to come back, video game news just won't be as fun.

GT used to be amazing before 2010. YouTube simply became the place to get trailers and reviews for games and other things. Unfortunately, this day was long coming.

Their reviews were the best back then.
You should check out some of their more recent stuff. The site was the best it's been in years.

Jesus, I was just watching their stream today, and they seemed completely normal advertising tomorrow's stream. This suuuucks, and I really hope most of the people here get back together in a new, smaller effort a la Kinda Funny and Jim Sterling, or at the very least, they get good hires. If Bosman stops making his stuff, I will lose my shit.

EDIT: and FUCK, GT Time is my favorite goddamn podcast. uuuuuuuuggghhhhhhh, I hope everyone lands on their feet, I need to hear more from them ASAP.

Yeah.

Agreed on GT Time, I really got into listening/watching it last year especially following that E3 in addition to PS I Love You. Those were the two I atleast made sure to watch/listen to.
You could tell they loved this stuff.

What the hell.

This is completely out of nowhere and makes me a little bit angry even though I haven't really checked out their site in forever.

It's all my fault, isn't it? :(

I now regret not watching more of their stuff, I had mostly stuck to just Final Bosman, which got me back into the site, but now I can't go back and watch all of their podcasts and streams live. Unless they are all archived, maybe never... :'(

Please, someone get their Twitch streams, please.

Damn... I can't believe they gave no heads up at all. What a horrible way to run a company. At least give your guys time to start seeking employment before pulling the rug out from under their feet. I'd support a patreon run as well.

Hopefully we can jointly locate/host all the retrospectives and such. Many are missing and/or videos are no longer functional.

There are a number of awesome people mass archiving the YouTube content. Some other stuff that might not be on YouTube like the retrospectives has been taken care of.

What? Why?

GameTrailers were the only reviews i actually watched.

tumblr_msqvr2JKID1rf540bo1_400.gif

I really loved their vibe, as Bosman would put it.

Watch E3 2015 every dreams come true video over and over and over...

Bloodworth's honeymoon totally ruined.

Yeah, geez. At least they had such a good time when they could. That's a genuine moment that'll live in their Top 10 life experiences I think. See what I did?
I am legit crying

You guys need to watch the final live stream archive. Brandon's final speech at the end will make you tear up.

Same, just saw it again. What actually made me really start actually crying though was talking about it with my Mom. When I have to explain what this all means, it becomes so much more real and I couldn't hold back the tears.

GT Reviews archive update: currently downloading all 147 reviews in their GT Reviews playlist. This also includes their reviews for Unravel and Firewatch.

Thank you, your awesome. Does that have even the really old stuff?

I'm gonna miss the chemistry between bosman and huber the most. Huber would get so excited and bosman would just laugh hard about it and love it.

Yeah.

They should do a kickstarter for a new site.

As much as I want to see them try that or Pateron they just had the rug pulled out from under them (seems like none of them were expecting it during the live stream) and honestly speaking as someones who has been in a similar experience... I won't be surprised if some of them want to get out of the industry. They've been through a lot, having to watch all of their staff get fired back when Defy took over was bad enough but after that now having to move their office twice among other things its unlikely they'll want to start from 0 again and Pateron is a big risk sure several of us would be willing to throw some money their way but they certainly haven't been getting the views to keep the site afloat I would question if there's enough fans out there to keep them going.

I want them to try it and I want to try and contribute I want to see them making the money Kinda Funny or Jim Sterling is but I'm just not sure its there. I really really want it to be, nothing would make me happier then to see them bounce back in the next few months but it would certainly be hard, whatever path they decide to go I will always love everything they did and hope that at the very least they can find jobs in positions they deserve.

They need to put up all their videos on YouTube and monetize it now that they're wrapping up. That's a lot of great A gaming history.

They also needed an app for PS4 like yesterday. They also needed a better video player like day before yesterday. Alas, these won't happen.

Wow, this is bringing back memories of 1Up's demise, now GT is dead. Still 14 years was a good run, unfortunately nothing lasts forever. Best wishes to the staff, they don't deserve this kind of sudden departure.

Carl

Oh man I'll miss these guys. Not really a fan of their direction over the last year or so but still :( good luck to everyone

I don't have the hard drive space, and I have to leave for my calculus class at in 9 hours (have to sleep first too), please, if someone could try to preserve their old reviews that are probably not on YouTube, and their Twitch streams, it'd mean a lot, thanks.

damn this sucks, made an account back in 08 but left the site after they redesigned it, gt was such a good forum until they redesigned it, they also had some really cool segments

Maximo

They've said on the subject of doing something a la a Patreon: "Today is not the day to figure that out"

Stay tuned I suppose, it isn't being ruled out.

Yeah the kinda funny crew planned for months and had a plan goin forward, these poor bastards had the building collapse on them with no notion of it coming. They might do something patreon involved but not everyone is cut for that kind of responsibility for one owns livelihood, you live and die by your own doing being funded by fans.

Damn, that sucks.

I didn't always follow their stuff up-to-the-minute wise, and I wasn't a fan of their most recent content but they still made some gems and I respect them a lot.

Sucks to see them go. I remember I started watching them after Rev3games shut down unexpectedly. This feels like déjà vu.

This sucks. Best place to be around E3, can't see anyone else being able to take their place with content and quality.
Yea this blows.

Now we are stuck with all the sad souless negative babies in this industry. I'm a premium GiantBomb member and I love 'em, but they are so fucking boring and horrible to watch during E3.

I remember watching Sonys conference and getting hyped with GT and then going back to GB for a sec and they are all sitting there like sad fishes whining about something.

We are in a super negative entitled time and it was refreshing to see a site that went against that.

This shows that negativity and being pc wins.

Spman2099

This is genuinely awful. If they do a patreon I am in. I have never done that before, but this just makes me feel sick. These guys were great for gaming. Hell, these guys were just flat-out great.

Thank you to hlhbk, Charles Alan Ratliff, and others for archiving. Thank you all!

I got what I knew in my heart was what I needed to preserve (the Legend of Zelda retrospective), and I'm signing off for now. Thanks so much everyone, most of all the GT team themselves!

Guerrilla

What the fuck? This is terrible news to wake up to! They are my favorite gaming outlet,and I basically watched all their videos. I hope theyll continue independently.

What was the meeting for the 2016 plans even about two weeks ago? Does something like this happen over night? Im so sad right now :/

The1Ski

Wish I hadn't missed their final stream. Would have like to have thanked them for the years of entertainment.

I'm sure a few of the crew are lurking here though...

Thank you GT crew! You guys seemed like the realest crew in the industry. And that's tough to pull off these days.

LiK

I'm seriously hoping Brandon considers starting a new company and use Patreon. Seems like it's working for KindaFunny and Jim Sterling. I don't want them to miss out doing E3 streams this year. I love their reactions to live events,

What the fuck? This is terrible news to wake up to! They are my favorite gaming outlet,and I basically watched all their videos. I hope theyll continue independently.

What was the meeting for the 2016 plans even about two weeks ago? Does something like this happen over night? Im so sad right now :/
Apparently it was over lunch.

Whoah, was literally talking to my roommate Chicko Fucko's girlfriend yesterday about how the video game press was a career that I while I originally wanted to get into, it seemed so unsure that I decided against it.

R.I.P. gametrailers, you were the first HD content I played on my first HDTV.

Wish I hadn't missed their final stream. Would have like to have thanked them for the years of entertainment.

I'm sure a few of the crew are lurking here though...

Thank you GT crew! You guys seemed like the realest crew in the industry. And that's tough to pull off these days.

You can no longer comment, but so far the archive remains on their twitch channel.

Sami+

We'll never know who won last week's GT Time bet.

Last week on GT Time Kyle mentioned how lucky they were to have amazing jobs.

Fuck.

Brandon, Kyle, Huber, Ian, Blood, Ben, Don, Brad, Matt - PLEASE make a Patreon. Please. You're all the coolest dudes in the biz.

sora87

I'm seriously hoping Brandon considers starting a new company and use Patreon. Seems like it's working for KindaFunny and Jim Sterling. I don't want them to miss out doing E3 streams this year. I love their reactions to live events,

It needs to happen, I'd back it at a £100 tier.

Rozart

Hopefully stick together and utilize revenue from youtube + twitch + patreon. It worked for kindafunny and it should work for these guys if they decide to keep going.

Hoping that this happens so bad. They're a seriously great team. I love listening to their discussions.

Fuck.

Brandon, Kyle, Huber, Ian, Blood, Ben, Don, Brad, Matt - PLEASE make a Patreon. Please. You're all the coolest dudes in the biz.

;_;

I feel like between this and CGRUndertow closing, gaming has lost a lot of its passionate, positive, genuine, non-cynical voice. I'm not sure where else I can go to capture anything close to this.

Sadly, I've been waiting for that to happen. They had that corprorate takeover a year or so ago? And then the mass exodus of staff, etc.

Sorry to see it go. It was great.

border

I'm not sure why there is this mad rush to download every video they've ever made. That stuff can be monetized by Defy Media for years to come. There's not much reason for them to yank it down.

This isn't like the podcasts/videos on 1Up that were basically just eating bandwidth while generating zero revenue.

LiK

I'm not sure why there is this mad rush to download every video they've ever made. That stuff can be monetized by Defy Media for years to come. There's not much reason for them to yank it down.

This isn't like the podcasts/videos on 1Up that were basically just eating bandwidth while generating zero revenue.

We're worried cuz many videos are not working on the site already. I can't even find the older Bosman videos. I think they pulled the plug or at least started yanking it.

hlhbk

We're worried cuz many videos are not working on the site already. I can't even find the older Bosman videos. I think they pulled the plug or at least started yanking it.

Yeah it appears shit is coming off the main site in the last few hours.

farisr

Yeah, I don't see them taking down the YT channel/videos (unless they want to relaunch a company in the same name later). But, the videos on gametrailers.com that didn't make it over to YT are at risk.,

You haven't been able to get the older Bosman videos on the site for months.

They mentioned on stream that the GTreviews YouTube page was actually someone else's, Clever Games, and it was just inherited by GT when Defy bought them. I don't know who Clever Games were, but it seems Defy had no problem ripping their channel down to make room for new blood. I wouldn't necessarily expect that soon, but it could happen here too. The GT crew were backing up their stuff too. Better safe than sorry.

wapplew

Fuck.

That's best case scenario for me too.
In the mean time, I hope Huber and Brad can do some lets play twitch stream at home or something.

Just re-watched a fan made vid of their ending to E3. It was a huge mistake, I'm back to tears. :(
Link.

The worst part is remembering Bloodworth telling us their relocation was no big deal. But some of us saw it coming.
I'm hoping his honeymoon went well and this news doesn't bum him out too much.

Hopefully they do leave it all up, but you never know. Better to do it now just in case than regret it later. I'll just have the stuff I'm archiving sitting on an external hard drive I wasn't using.

Top Bottom