• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

From Ben's tweets it sounds like they haven't discussed it, but I'm sure they're all still reeling from the terrible news.

Hopefully stick together and utilize revenue from youtube + twitch + patreon. It worked for kindafunny and it should work for these guys if they decide to keep going.

Linkyn

Part 1 of the Castlevania Retrospective doesn't work for me. Do you have a working link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VY0MgEu9gg

Not great quality, but most of their older videos are at a lower resolution.

How many pop fiction episodes are on the website?

Hard to say. Searching for them is a bit of a mess, because several things don't quite work as intended. At the very least, there appears to be a handful of extra pop facts.

GT was my first forum, and I joined the group when gears of war launched 10 years ago. Gears of war was my first review I saw on the site, and I bought it solely on that awesome review video..I don't recall the guys name, but he had THE perfect voice for game reviews/retrospects. RIP GT

You generally don't want people hanging around very long after they're fired......especially if you have a lot of expensive stuff in your offices that they could break or steal. Not that I think the GT crew would do that, but generally speaking that's why you don't hand someone a pink slip and have them keep working for you.

That makes sense, though they didn't mention on stream that they're splitting the games and such among themselves. Besides that I think the vast majority of their equipment is in that separate building where they did podcasts/ mandatory update, so if they really felt that insecure that could have just locked them out of that office for the time being. But I do understand.

You announce that a site is closing and you do a few more shows, announce a date when it's closing and it's going to generate tons of nostalgia traffic, they are gonna see numbers they haven't seen in awhile and it's going to make them think twice. But they know those numbers would just be a bandaid so you just have to make the decision to cut ties suddenly. It's taking the emotion out of it. It's business.

When you get laid off of work en masse, you don't get any notice. You go into work. Your department gets called into a meeting. They tell you what's going to happen. You go home. You don't even get to get your things from your desk.

Yeah, sorry, I'm just a college student, so I don't have any sort of experience with that. I guess my ignorance is showing.

It makes sense the way you guys explain it, I guess part of why it seems silly to me is just because they're a small, tight-nit group of 10 people. It seems like overkill to apply rules that seem like they're designed around larger, less televised groups; but, at the same time, it wouldn't really make sense to change corporate policy for them either.

It seems shitty to not give them at least 2 weeks notice so they could finish what they were working on, release goodbye videos to the fans, etc. I don't know. I get it, but it still sucks.

Raxus

Very last GT Youtube video (Mandatory Update) was a "fixed" Bloodborne review where they gave it a 10/10. Not sure what that was about. Anyone know the significance?

They never gave a game a 10 while GT existed so the staff picked their favorite game and gave it an honorary 10.

X-Factor

Defy Media probably decided to stop funding them due to low viewership on youtube.
Their video player on their main site never seemed to work properly.

They were part of MTV/Viacom before Defy bought them.

GT was my go-to site for video game coverage over the past 10 years. Sad to see them go. Hopefully everyone gets a solid placement somewhere.

Why are they ceasing to exist? Any details?

Furyous

I remember first discovering the site in a dorm somewhere in 03. Dude came in the room excited about a TMNT game in the fall as some of us looked at each other like WAT? Gametrailers was there through the PS2 era, transitioning all the through three Playstation consoles. I'll always remember the E3 announcements and the hype surrounding new series and series ending.

The MGS retrospectives were dope. I'll miss a world without Gametrailers because they've always been around. Their recent E3 coverage over the course of years was legendary. I'll never forget opening my iphone and watching E3 from the comfort of my bed with 80 percent wool blanket sipping a shot of warm Tequila. Those were the days..

What replaces GameTrailers?

sora87

The only site i followed. My heart just legit sank reading that. No fucking way man. Now who do i watch to cheer myself up :/
All the crew are so likeable and felt like friends. Jesus this is like a gut punch

Wtf nooo! This is the only place I value someones opinions. This is absolutely the fucking worst. It was the only positive place in this crap gaming community, all any gamer likes is negative shits that like to act like life is so hard.

Let's just lose all positivity in this industry and finally complete our sad whiny gamer existance. Great.

Yaqoub

Man, GT was great. Maybe the first site I actually downloaded trailer and review videos over my crappy 256k connection back then. Invisible Walls was a fun podcast to listen to as well.

Thank you to the staff for your hard work and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

X-Factor

Mandatory Update is hosted by Ian Hink who is a big fan of Bloodborne. Check out the Bloodborne musical.

The GT Staff were joking that that giving a game a 10/10 score would make Bloodworth (lead Editor) raise his eyebrows so to speak.

Very last GT Youtube video (Mandatory Update) was a "fixed" Bloodborne review where they gave it a 10/10. Not sure what that was about. Anyone know the significance?

KevinCow

Banned
What the hell.

This is completely out of nowhere and makes me a little bit angry even though I haven't really checked out their site in forever.

It's all my fault, isn't it? :(

Minions

Damn... I can't believe they gave no heads up at all. What a horrible way to run a company. At least give your guys time to start seeking employment before pulling the rug out from under their feet. I'd support a patreon run as well.

Hopefully we can jointly locate/host all the retrospectives and such. Many are missing and/or videos are no longer functional.

KingJ2002

What? Why?

GameTrailers were the only reviews i actually watched.

tumblr_msqvr2JKID1rf540bo1_400.gif

wapplew

The only site i followed. My heart just legit sank reading that. No fucking way man. Now who do i watch to cheer myself up :/
All the crew are so likeable and felt like friends. Jesus this is like a gut punch

Watch E3 2015 every dreams come true video over and over and over...

Bloodworth's honeymoon totally ruined.

LiK

You guys need to watch the final live stream archive. Brandon's final speech at the end will make you tear up.

Sorry dudes, I'm seriously pissed and sad at the same time. I'm sure Defy had their reasons, but it was a dick move of them to give the guys such a short notice.
Maybe I should focus my anger at an escape goat, say someone like Escape Goat. D:<
Also, bless you guys trying to archive their material.

fvng

This is really sad, GT was in my top 3 websites with a genuine staff that cared about this medium

I remember more than one instance they would give a bad review to a game even though the site was plastered with ads for it. That doesn't make for good business but at least they didn't sacrifice integrity.

Hope the entire staff launches a new independent VG site ala Giant Bomb

Holy shit, I was just getting into GT Time just recently and now the whole site has been jettisoned...

Any details as to how it was this sudden? Weren't they moving studios just now?

I was a fan since the Invisible Walls thing. Back in the day that was my only source of gaming information. Their E3 coverage was also god tier with Geoff Keighley.

They always were the weird guys and I liked that, but after the big layoffs a few years(?) ago it's never been the same I feel. It was inevitable in this landscape, even when you have a hardcore fanbase.

I hope we get a summary in a few months where everyone is going/doing from the GT crew.

Oh, man. I think it kind of ended around the time Elyse left, but for a good two or three years I kind of saw the site as being in a golden age when it came to quality. Loved how super weird they were willing to get, and in a totally earnest way.

This kinda feels like 1up all over again.

Thanks for the memories GT! I've been following y'all for about 9 years or so and I will miss your content a lot. The two individuals that inspired me the most from the GT family are definitely Kyle Bosman and Ian Hinck. Thanks you two for being who you want to be, and not being ashamed of it. Best of luck to all of you.

Good night and good game!

farisr

gocubs

Wasn't their a bunch of layoffs at GT after E3 last year? Whomever owns them now decided to pull the plug one final time.

The1Ski

Wow. ... Well that's a drag.

I can say that whichever organization(s) pick up the talent from GT, they'll be getting a new viewer/reader from me. I will find you GT crew. Wherever you end up.

Hopefully stick together and utilize revenue from youtube + twitch + patreon. It worked for kindafunny and it should work for these guys if they decide to keep going.
I've just started following them about a month ago but I'd be on board. Maybe Sony will pick them up like they did with Kojima.

Wasn't their a bunch of layoffs at GT after E3 last year? Whomever owns them now decided to pull the plug one final time.

They took over just before E3 in 2014 and decided to lay off people after that. There were layoffs last year but can't recall when.

KevinCow

Banned
I just watched the final Final Bosman. It used to be a weekly thing but I kinda got out of the habit of following him.

Anyway, at the end of the video, he says, "I'll be back next Wednesday."

:(

I'd love it if Bosman started up his own Youtube channel.

Vibranium

Banned
I just watched the final Final Bosman. It used to be a weekly thing but I kinda got out of the habit of following him.

Anyway, at the end of the video, he says, "I'll be back next Wednesday."

:(

I'd love it if Bosman started up his own Youtube channel.

I'm sure Bosman and Huber will go somewhere together.

ito007

What about GT Time discussions? GT Live? Tabletop?

Too much to go so suddenly...

Top Bottom