• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Hasney

Woffls

UGH this still sucks so much. GT was the only place doing regular content that I actually looked forward to. All the other shows and podcasts.. I just... whatever man. GT was something else and I'll remember this stuff for a long time.

How much can they realistically expect to make with a patreon? Even very big ones doing 10k or so, aren't nearly enough to sustain such a big crew + software licences + equipment.
Not while in LA.

The closest thing to compare would be kinda funny. They have two patreon accounts. One at 56,000 per month and the other at 26,000 per month. They also make revenue from youtube and twitch on top of that.

They are also creating their own animated series from the success of their patreon accounts. Furthermore, they don't get crazy high view counts. Much like GT, they have a limited but dedicated fan base.

It could work.

Kill3r7

Great content and one of the best gaming sites over the last few years. Too bad they never figured out how to monetize the site.

One of the best gaming sites out there. That and NeoGAF was all you needed. I'm surprised it's closing down, gonna have to backup the retrospectives and series if at all poss.

Portugeezer

The closest thing to compare would be kinda funny. They have two patreon accounts. One at 56,000 per month and the 26,000 per month. They also make revenue from youtube and twitch on top of that.

They are also creating their own animated series from the success of their patreon accounts. Furthermore, they don't get crazy high view counts. Much like GT, they have a limited but dedicated fan base.

It could work.
They could... But expectecting anything like KF money is setting up for failure right off the bat, if it happens it happens.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Truth be told I wasn't going to the site much anymore, as NeoGAF gets almost all my gaming browsing time, but this sucks anyway.

It is very sad ,very sad.It was one important site,community for me.I was the member from the very start and saw this site to undergo many changes which were mainly negative.(All those forum and profile changes no mention media player).
I was still waiting for their new site which they ran recently and tried to log in regularly.

It is a huge loss for the community.I hope the new site will emerge from the ashes.Also I would love to see new retrospectives and the last part of the Diablo retrospective.

About the bolded: I'd been waiting for that one for ages :(. I loved part 1 and 2. I always assumed they'd put it on the backburner so they'd have more content and hindsight for the third game. They could easily have made it before the D3 expansion, and that would have been a mistake since the game has changed so much since then. And I'm sure the development history of the game would have made for a fascinating final part.

Who was the guy who lended his voice to 99% of the reviews? His voice and delivery were great. I hope they all find jobs, but I especially hope I'll hear him again somewhere.

oti

Banned
This is sad news :( I rarely visited them now, but I had a good 2/3 years that they were my primary game site.

Did you somehow miss them being one of the very few "big" sites to give HABLWABEODFPS their GOTY?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE YOU JUST SPOILED GOTY 2015 FOR ME

Steejee

The brutal realities of online advertising revenues and gaming site competition take down another.

Good luck to the staff.

smudge

Haven't watched them much recently, just the odd review or a Bosman episode. Used to watch Invisible Walls every week a few years ago.
That site has some great content, they will be missed!

UrbanRats

The closest thing to compare would be kinda funny. They have two patreon accounts. One at 56,000 per month and the other at 26,000 per month. They also make revenue from youtube and twitch on top of that.

It could work.

Wow, had no idea KF was that big, but they were coming off of IGN, the biggest gaming site around.

inki

I always LOVED their video reviews. Very on point and they always touched on the things I found the most important. It's a Damn Shame.

fantomena

My favorite video review network. I saw every episode of GT.TV and I loved their video reviews so much I watched a ton of video reviews of my favorite games over and over and over again.

Sad news, hope the people manage it.

Mikey Jr.

How much can they realistically expect to make with a patreon? Even very big ones doing 10k or so, aren't nearly enough to sustain such a big crew + software licences + equipment.
Not while in LA.

They have to do the kinda funny model to be honest.

3 or 4 of them.

No more reviews.

Focus on quick looks, shows, etc.

Have a daily show on twitch. Take donations, subs.

Focus more on stuff that isn't huge time sinks, or have huge costs associated with them.

I don't think anyone realistically expects them to go on with current gt at patreon.

WTF!?

This seems like this is out of nowhere.
Didn't they get acquired only last year?

Ether way, they were the only reviews I liked too. So blegh :/

Karu

It could work.
GT = 10 people
KF = 5 people

And: The KF-Patreon is inflated by a January-event, funding their Animated Short-Series, usually it''s at around 20k.

Not to be mean or anything, but I wouldn't call that an realisitic avenue. But believe - I wish it would be.

Fake edit: Okay, other said similar things. Personally I just hope some of them will stick together and especially Hink and Bosman decide to continue doing on-screen action.

Love these guys but I hadn't visited the actual website in years, between YouTube and downloading podcasts from the RSS feed there didn't seem to be any need to. Which unfortunately means I was probably part of the problem.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Guys, hate to break it to you but Patreon would never work for such a sizeable crew.
People say "Oh, I would throw in 100$!" but would you really do that month after month?
I don't know what they do but as much as I hope that they stay together I doubt that will be possible.

This leads me to believe they did know (or had some knowledge of what was going on).

Ben Moore: "If Defy Media gets rid of GameTrailers.com, here's how it's going to happen:"

Ian Hinck: "Not 'if'".

Ben Moore: "Well... yeah".

They've known Defy hasn't been happy with GT's profitability for a long while and I think it's fair to say everyone knew there was either going to be even bigger cutbacks or a complete shut down sometime in the future.

But they certainly didn't know it would be anytime soon, or that it would happen in the span of a single day rather than being given notice.

They're as blindsided as us.

Hasney

This leads me to believe they did know (or had some knowledge of what was going on).

Ben Moore: "If Defy Media gets rid of GameTrailers.com, here's how it's going to happen:"

Ian Hinck: "Not 'if'".

Ben Moore: "Well... yeah".

I think everyone knew it would happen sooner or later, noone knew it would be so quick.

Guys, hate to break it to you but Patreon would never work for such a sizeable crew.
People say "Oh, I would throw in 100$!" but would you really do that month after month?
I don't know what they do but as much as I hope that they stay together I doubt that will be possible.

To be fair, I probably watch more GT than my old TV package that cost me £50 a month.

Spaced33

Man, what a loss. I was a big fan of their reviews, retrospectives and top tens. I wasn't aware they were going through rough times.

Fuck, I'm really going to miss their video reviews. They really were better than everybody else's. : (

Sad news.

I felt like it wasn't until pretty recently after Saterfeild left and Bossman rose up that the site finally hit a great balance. But it was kind of obvious that behind the scenes since Viocom sold it that things where on the rocks.

I hope that crew find solid ground.

Hasney

They got me as a fan after the Bloodborne musical.

I think the writing was on the wall when Elyse left, sadly.

I don't think so. Of all the things GT has been through over 18 months, I don't think Elyse leaving to work where her husband works was significant of anything. I think she may have done that no matter what the situation was at GT at the time.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Really sucks to see this, their video content was second to none. I also really enjoyed their video reviews, they were always well thought out and presented.

I don't think so. Of all the things GT has been through over 18 months, I don't think Elyse leaving to work where her husband works was significant of anything. I think she may have done that no matter what the situation was at GT at the time.

Elyse's departure alone wasn't.

That there were no signs that there's an intent to even fill her headcount? Yes.

I guess I meant more of the timing of it - they moved into new (smaller?) offices as well IIRC, along with other changes.

Stuff like that usually signals bad things in the corporate world, but I could be wrong.

Heartfyre

Inevitably, not all of them would be able or willing to work through Patreon anyway. I reckon a couple of them will have new jobs by next week. Even if it was only three or four of them, it'd still be better than having the entire operation evaporate.

Top Bottom