• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Well this just ruined my morning. End of an era.

Guess I need to find a new default source for trusted game reviews. Will be keeping my eye on everyone's career going forward.

Listonosh

Holy damn, their original video content was probably some of the best I've seen. Retrospectives, Timeline, Pop Fiction... Will definitely miss all of those. I hope they at some point just upload all of their stuff to YouTube.

Gun Animal

Cold blooded.

I agree.

It's not that I don't enjoy all the other personalities at GT, losing GT Time and Mandatory Update is very upsetting for me.

I can also recognize that employing ~10 employees in an office space to review and comment on videogames is bloated/wasteful even with corporate backing, independently it's unsustainable.

also, Brandon Jones has the voice of a god and I hope after this he has an opportunity to do something awesome with that.

Eidan

Sorry this thread is huge, but did they ever give a specific reason why they are shutting down?

They've been dying a slow death ever since their major layoffs 2 (?) years ago. This was kind of inevitable, and they've been discussing it/joking about it ever since.

Inevitably, not all of them would be able or willing to work through Patreon anyway. I reckon a couple of them will have new jobs by next week. Even if it was only three or four of them, it'd still be better than having the entire operation evaporate.

Besides, as a secondary means of income? Meet up once a week to do GT Time and a twitch stream session? Release a new final Bosman whenever the writing is completed for it. All the content GT produced could still be done even if it's a secondary job on the side. Only the rate and regularity of content output would decrease. I mean after all, they all still live in L.A.

Ultimately, I just think it would be incredibly stupid just to abandon their brands they each have built up personally. Even if it's a secondary source of income I'd support them.

There isn't enough Brandon Jones love in this thread. The dude is a legend because of his VO work alone, but he's so much more than that. I hope he somehow returns to writing and recording video reviews...being into gaming just wouldn't be the same without them being available for almost every new big game release.

It's unrealistic to think the whole crew could stay together. But if I had to pair it down to the min I'd say a group with the core stream crew: Brad, Ben, Kyle, and Huber. Brad is the glue in the streams and great with the community. Focus on longer form streams, game impressions, Huber hype, final bossman, GT time, and maybe reviews.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
I will be forever grateful for the opportunity Geoff Grotz, Brandon Jones and Jon Slusser gave me in 2006. GT truly pioneered video coverage for the video game industry around the world and I'm humbled and honored to have been a part of it.

Don, Brandon, Daniel and others I wish you the best of luck going forward. I'm confident you'll land on your feet somewhere. Congratulations and good luck!

Besides, as a secondary means of income? Meet up once a week to do GT Time and a twitch stream session? Release a new final Bosman whenever the writing is completed for it. All the content GT produced could still be done even if it's a secondary job on the side. Only the rate and regularity of content output would decrease.

Ultimately, I just think it would be incredibly stupid just to abandon their brands they each have built up personally. Even if it's a secondary source of income I'd support them.

Yeah I'm 100% with you on this. If they end up not being together full time, I hope they at least do a podcast and Twitch streams together.

m@cross

I'd back at least two of them on a new show. Not going to say who, but I have a name idea for it.

The final Hubaman Hype

There isn't enough Brandon Jones love in this thread. The dude is a legend because of his VO work alone, but he's so much more than that. I hope he somehow returns to writing and recording video reviews...being into gaming just wouldn't be the same without them being available for almost every new big game release.

Heck yeah man. I've only been a fan for about a year so I initially jumped onto guys like Bosman and Huber, but Jones is a legend. He put so much work all these years, and it was always a joy to hear his commentary as well.

Doc_Drop

Besides, as a secondary means of income? Meet up once a week to do GT Time and a twitch stream session? Release a new final Bosman whenever the writing is completed for it. All the content GT produced could still be done even if it's a secondary job on the side. Only the rate and regularity of content output would decrease.

This for sure. I'd gladly pay a sub to Final Bosman, GT Time (styled show), to support a smaller team for personality stuff (non-review centric), and I'd love to see the guys independently get together to shoot tabletops. My main worry is that due to having to get jobs that quite a few will end up moving, especially those not native to Cali, and will lead to a real break up of the team

Peltz

Wow. Crazy.

I used to love their reviews last gen. I don't remember why I stopped watching them.. They were pretty great.

offshore

Sad to hear... though kind of inevitable I guess. Back in the day, it was the only E3 stream of choice, without fail IMO.

And Bonus Round. Man, I used to love that show. Sure, Pachter's predictions were wonky as fuck, lol, but the discussion was always entertaining. I used to look forward to a new episode every Sunday.

Good times.

ieOuFk2.gif

cry-moments-avatar-the-last-airbender-31465838-250-250.gif

Bossti

Neo Member
I think it's safe to say that the GT staff as a whole will not manage to stay together. The most realistic route I would imagine right now was

- Blood getting a job at IGN, Giant Bomb, etc. he's got the reputation and the skills to do the "classic" content

- Brandon Jones will most likely find something really quick, e.g. if Polygon tries again to do regular review videos; I'd imagine any big outlet would be happy to have him on board, not just because of his iconic voice

- Ian always said he wanted to get into movies iirc; other than that: Omar and Elyse already work at Funhouse, go figure. Don would also fit in there

- Kyle, Huber and Ben could easily go down a Patreon sponsored YouTube/Twitch route, maybe together with Brad and Matt; but it depends what they all want to do

As for Buttons: I think he'll stay with Defy unless they can smuggle him out there ;)

This for sure. I'd gladly pay a sub to Final Bosman, GT Time (styled show), to support a smaller team for personality stuff (non-review centric), and I'd love to see the guys independently get together to shoot tabletops. My main worry is that due to having to get jobs that quite a few will end up moving, especially those not native to Cali, and will lead to a real break up of the team

True. The good news is that given their career choices and interests, L.A is a pretty good city to stay in for those things. It's not like it's Backwater - middle of nowhere USA. It's L.A., good reason to stay there for those with an interest in creative content.

Huber and Brad were just a Resident Evil 6 away from completing their ENTIRE full Resident Evil series playthrough.

Don's Design Lab was coming back.

Table Top Adventures was coming back.

Jolly Cooperation was gaining traction.

And I think Kyle wanted to expand The Final Bosman, with more skits involving the other staff members.

I actually think 2016 would have been a good year for GT. I also think they would have gotten a lot of traction with E3 2016 considering how many people first heard of GT due to E3 2015.

Shame Defy didn't let them see out 2016 and worked from there. It would have been a big year for them I think.

And we'll never see the Persona 5, Shenmue 3, and NX hype GT would have brought.

Damn shame is really the best way to describe all this.

Very, very sad news...

Last years E3 coverage was legendary! They'll be sorely missed...
The best of luck with finding new employment!

p.s What will happen to the gaming cupboard!? :( First Fifteen...

Bioshocker

This is a bit shocking. I'm pissed about it. GT was my main place after GAF for gaming. I loved their video reviews and to watch them cover E3. I hope they turn up somewhere else now.

So I'm just going to sit here quietly and wait... Just wait until these guys find their next gig and promptly following them then.

Until then I'm just going to sit here... doing nothing... Just staring at my glasses case on my desk, contemplating what materials went into making them... maybe a little EVA, I dunno.

Oh look I just found the little plastic piece that broke off my headset just sitting right next to my glasses case. Guess I should place it back on my headset... ugh, that's too much effort...

I had a dream I won the lottery and bought the rights to GT and handed it back over to Brandon where it rightly belonged and they would be able to keep making content.

Then I woke up and hoped that I dreamed that as well as the closing and everything was fine.

But it wasn't and despite watching the stream last night I didn't cry but it finally started to really hit me this morning.

God damn it all.

I hope they will all be okay in whatever they decide to do from here on out... but most of all I hope they truly understand an apperciate how much we all cared for what they did. They did some wonderful shows over the years but in the end it was the people that mattered, and it was them as a combined team that truly made the site special. Even after Defy bought them out and they were gutted they still ended up producing some of the most interesting and geninuely wonderful shows I will ever watch.

Hands down the best gaming podcast
Hands down the best personalities
Hands down the best... well... everything!

I'm trying to save as much as I can from the youtube channel but just listening to a few of the videos as I'm downloading is just wrecking me right now, need to step away for a bit.

To all those who have ever been apart of Gametrailers you guys were the best, always, and I hope you remember your time with them as fondly as the rest of us do.

Top Bottom