• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

zulux21

Nothing has been said about that yet.

They did say "This is not the time to talk about that" when people asked them "what's in the future for them" in their last stream. Who knows though...

they just found out they lost their jobs less than 8 hours ago (when that video was made)

any sane person doesn't make grand claims like "we will all continue to work together" or "we are breaking up forever" until you take the time to figure out where to go now. it will likely be a few days before we really hear anything. I mean perhaps they will try to continue on on youtube via patron and kickstarter and what not... still requires planning out campaigns, and deciding if they are going to move as moving could end up saving them thousands in living costs a month alone.

roytheone

This is sad news :( I rarely visited them now, but I had a good 2/3 years that they were my primary game site.

That is totally understandable. Jeff's hatred for stuff is pure but still, sometimes I wish they'd be a bit more open. Especially when it comes to Nintendo stuff. Their GOTY podcasts can get pretty tiresome whenever they argue that your standard shooter sequel should be higher on the list than "just another Mario". But that's just how they roll and I still love them.
Did you somehow miss them being one of the very few "big" sites to give super mario maker their GOTY?

darksagus

I used to go to gametrailers when the site was just trailers that you could watch and download. It sucks that it's shutting down, I was always under the impression they were doing well.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I opened GAF for the first time today, saw this thread and immediately got pissed again.

I hope that the staff will land on their feet and that they find a way to continue GT in one way or the other. I'd be willing to pay for a subscription.

Damn, this sucks. I hope they try to do the Kinda Funny route where the core group creates a YouTube channel and do their own thing. I will especially miss The Bosman Show :(

I like this idea. Maybe this image? http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/c/c8/GameTrailers2012.png
Small size:
gtw3buu.png

It's already cut out with transparency and easy to use for adding to an avatar.
I added it to mine. Or should this be modified?

Thanks yo, the hype will live on!!!

M.Steiner

GT has been one of my main go-to sites for many years so this is very sad news to hear.

Hope they can figure a way to all stick together somehow & start something up but either way, I hope everyone lands on their feet. E3 coverage won't be the same without them either :/

richsena

Banned
Even though I don't really play games anymore, I still watched The Final Bosman regularly and enjoyed some of the other stuff the team did.

Can't say I'm completely shocked, though. Writing was on the wall with the team consistently being marginalized and cut down in what seemed like endless moves.

I'd have to think they'll continue to do their own thing on YouTube, though. They've got a decent following.

Hasney

Whichever news coverage I saw of this was always like "youtube killed gametrailers" but I found that so weird because to me as a late comer GameTrailers was about the people and not about the historical format of the site.

I wonder if they had a big branding/marketing issue where lots of people just weren't aware of what kind of content they were actually producing these days and the personalities involved.

YouTube did but the first nail in. If Viacom reacted quick enough when YouTube started gaining traction and started putting things on there, it would have helped, but they wanted full control of everything so just kept it on the site. Who knows what would have happened if they were on YouTube while it was still growing.

Probably look very different if that helped them though. The format of the last 18 months or so is what made me love the site so much.

Haunted

Oh yeah fuck, someone get on archiving their channels, I don't care about the legalities, just make sure their original content and livestreams don't get lost, who knows what defy decides to do with the channels.

AEREC

GT seems like they did video reviews before it was a common thing. They had really good ones too. I did stop watching their reviews for most games because they seemed to always be spoilery.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any chance Geoff wants to do a new website or a press team and takes them all in?

He would reach God status for me with that.

Yeah, Giant Bomb luckily had the foresight of Jeff, like saying this back in 2012:

Being one of the first to offer premium content alongside it's ad-supported stuff was a stroke of genius back in 2010 as I'd doubt they would have been as attractive to CBS without it.

Really that's why so many people are saying they should look into Patreon. Which is basically a subscription gold service, but with variable pricing models and perks. Furthermore, GT's been around a long time, moreso than other game media personalities, might not have as -many- fans, but probably more dedicated fans who are of an older age group - who have careers and can subscribe with higher dollar amounts on Patreon per person.

I also think they had a really bloated office space for content they could have done in a spare room in a house (KindaFunny style). That office rental cost plus managing and maintaining the website was such an unnecessary burden financially. Cutting the fat off everything unnecessary and building up your youtube and twitch audience with a patreon account would have done wonders, and I'm surprised they didn't embrace such things earlier.

spekkeh

Banned
woah-o.gif

Did not see this coming.

Admittedly I haven't watched GT in ages because I find long video reviews too spoilery, but this seemed like a very popular site.

Engell

YouTube did but the first nail in. If Viacom reacted quick enough when YouTube started gaining traction and started putting things on there, it would have helped, but they wanted full control of everything so just kept it on the site. Who knows what would have happened if they were on YouTube while it was still growing.

Probably look very different if that helped them though. The format of the last 18 months or so is what made me love the site so much.

Yeah, think it would have gotten them alot of new viewers, back then the other game channels where a joke on youtube. they could have gained a ton of subscribers and thereby alot of ad revenue. They where just to late to the YouTube game, and when they finally got there most of the viewers where already subscribed to other channels.

Really that's why so many people are saying they should look into Patreon. Which is basically a subscription gold service, but with variable pricing models and perks. Furthermore, GT's been around a long time, moreso than other game media personalities, might not have as -many- fans, but probably more dedicated fans who are of an older age group - who have careers and can subscribe with higher dollar amounts on Patreon per person.

I also think they had a really bloated office space for content they could have done in a spare room in a house (KindaFunny style). That office rental cost plus managing and maintaining the website was such an unnecessary burden financially. Cutting the fat off everything unnecessary and building up your youtube and twitch audience with a patreon account would have done wonders, and I'm surprised they didn't embrace such things earlier.
Yea I think if they really beefed up the streaming infrastructure/format and stuck to their original content shows you could slim down your overhead and maybe make it work. It couldn't be the whole crew but a subset could work to start and regrow

They really should have continued to make pop fiction and retrospective videos. The amount of views those would get on Youtube would be pretty high, especially with the quality of them.

Bossti

Neo Member
They should really consider a Patreon supported restart. They don't even need the GameTrailers brand. They could go with Game Teasers, Game Tonics, Game Timers, etc.

MattXIII

Really gonna miss GT Time, became my favourite gaming podcast.
Always skipped the super seat question though.

End of an era

Hasney

They really should have continued to make pop fiction and retrospective videos. The amount of views those would get on Youtube would be pretty high, especially with the quality of them.

They were the most expensive and time consuming videos they made though. They were on hiatus in that format almost as soon as Defy got them then even more so when they let Damiani go.

Reedirect

Fuck. Terrible news. After Jeff left Gamespot, GT became the primary source of anything regarding videogames for me. I highly respected their perfectly edited and narrated reviews (seriously, Brandon Jones, a goddamn legend), regulary watched Invisible Walls and discovered AVGN through them.

And even when Shane left, and the whole site changed-up the formula a bit, they were still fantastic. Bosman added much needed energy with his show, ManUps was mostly hit, sometimes miss and E3 coverage was great as always. Really sad to see GT go. It regulary formed and changed my opinions of videogames and helped me discover some that I'd never even consider playing.

I hope everyone lands safely somewhere else.

Rikkun

What a shit news to wake up to, GT was my favourite site/channel and it has been for the last 4 years.
I'm so willing to subscribe to a patreon if that meant I can see them working together again, but for now best of luck to all of them. I'm already missing them, Tuesday is my free day and having a Huber Hype to watch was the best thing.

Well that was unexpected...

I kinda liked their review and their list videos but their website was just so annoying to navigate.

Probably the one thing that brought them down aside from the increaasingly huge youtube exposure.

UrbanRats

They should really consider a Patreon supported restart. They don't even need the GameTrailers brand. They could go with Game Teasers, Game Tonics, Game Timers, etc.
How much can they realistically expect to make with a patreon? Even very big ones doing 10k or so, aren't nearly enough to sustain such a big crew + software licences + equipment.
Not while in LA.

Or just do "GT"

It is as big as the concept of gametrailers without copyright problems.

I think they need to just do their own thing like when Colin and Greg left IGN. With Bosman, Huber, Jones and whoever else they could cut out their own slice of the YouTube/Patreon scene and do well. At least that's what I hope.

PillarEN

Damn. I rarely visited in the last 5 years because the media player quality was poor (got worse) and you had less features as a non member. During the 1up.com days, gametrailers was my side dish to that site.

They were the most expensive and time consuming videos they made though. They were on hiatus in that format almost as soon as Defy got them then even more so when they let Damiani go.

That is true but at the same time it was these things that put them on the map for a lot of gamers.

KORNdoggy

they were my go to forum at a time...but then they changed their forum and i never returned to the site. i can't say i'll miss them personally. never liked their hosts much or their content... but i hope they can find new work elsewhere.

Top Bottom