• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

LiK

dammit, that video downloader crashed on me last night. had to restart it to get it going again. wasted some hours. hoping to start grabbing some of my fave Twitch streams tonight after work. hope the files aren't too big.

ilium

screenshot_2016-02-09btyzm.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The only video games media I followed. Now it's back to the occasional Jimquisition and Previously Recorded.

NeoGAF, promise me you'll never shut down...

Ouroboros

This site has been party of my gaming life since 2005. I watched so many trailers from them, and one of my few subscriptions on youtube when that became a thing.

Eagerly awaited the weekly GT time and Final Bosman.

Thank you to all who worked at GT and good luck on your future and most likely successful future.

This news is.....

Piers

Guys, hate to break it to you but Patreon would never work for such a sizeable crew.
People say "Oh, I would throw in 100$!" but would you really do that month after month?
I don't know what they do but as much as I hope that they stay together I doubt that will be possible.

There's also the fact Patreon donators might pull out of funding on the turn of a hairpin. It's great for start-ups and creative artists wanting to get a foot in the door, but not so much for already established professionals.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
And Jim is one guy, making his one man money for himself. You can't split it amongst 5 or 6 key GT people.

Man, this is so sad. There must be a way out...

One way I can see to break the entitlement of adblocked free content is to do paid subscriptions. Would love to know whether GT could could pull in enough subscribers to keep a staff of 3-4 people with office, equipment, and other expenses.

LiK

Patreon is def the way to go. I happened to see what KindaFunny and Jim makes per month and it's insane. I'm thinking the GT crew can get together and do something similar. They already do Twitch streams so just do a new channel.

SUBSCRIBERS!

I used to check Gametrailers on a daily basis for a lot of years. Even to this day, I continued to do It every week to see what I could find.

Really liked the Countdowns, Screwattack and AVGN (when they were aired on GT) and Pop Fiction.

Sad to hear it's over, but after what happend in the last few years, I suppose it was expected.

And Jim is one guy, making his one man money for himself. You can't split it amongst 5 or 6 key GT people.

One would think that since Defy is shutting them down instead of say... selling them, I would venture to guess there were no buyers.

Without a big media publisher like Vox pulling a Polygon, it's very difficult to basically get the funds to get going with a new brand altogether with a crew that isn't small.

Hasney

One way I can see to break the entitlement of adblocked free content is to do paid subscriptions. Would love to know whether GT could could pull in enough subscribers to keep a staff of 3-4 people with office, equipment, and other expenses.

I thought about subscriptions way back, but then I realised it would actually take some sort of Defy resources to pull off and a couple more staff. They were working at their limit with the current shows they had and you can't pull content that was previously free without a backlash. You'd need new things to pull it off.

I haven't checked up on my GT account in ages, turns out a was permabanned in 2013 and I have no idea why lol. Though it looks like my Gaf account was opened not long before that though.

Edit: looks like I got banned because I didn't read, some things never change.

Minions

Patreon is not meant to be a sole source of income anyway. You still need a marketable product as well. I'm sure they could pull in quite a bit if they went the patreon route, but in the end it would likely mean they would have to relocate to somewhere where rent isn't so high.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Patreon is not meant to be a sole source of income anyway. You still need a marketable product as well. I'm sure they could pull in quite a bit if they went the patreon route, but in the end it would likely mean they would have to relocate to somewhere where rent isn't so high.

"Live from Ian's Garage!"

Piers

As if Brandon Kyle Huber and Blood couldn't have their own sustainable Patreons...

They have their fans, but it's ultimately them as a collective that brought in the masses. Individual Patreons would only create a rift in funding success between all of them imo

Kezen

Banned
I would like to apologize for that very rude comment.
I accept punishment if it's deemed necessary.

Hoping those people will land on their feet. Tough times.

Finishing watching the last stream and watching Jones have tears in his eyes made me almost tear up myself. I wish the best of luck too all the guys and hope that "EVERYONE" lands of their feet and find a job they could enjoy just like GT. I'd been watching Gametrailers maybe sins 2007-08 however it's the current crew that made me like them as much as i do now and especially Huber, he brought such enthusiasm to the videos that he stared in and that he made me try out games i normally wouldn't or at least wanting to try out. So in the upcoming months i will try to playthough as many RE games as possible, thanks Huber. However it's the GT staff that i appreciate the most and i want to wish them the best of luck in the coming months and beyond. Thanks Gametrailers. Oh and Yakuza, i would probably never try out a Yakuza game without Huber, starting with 4. So thanks again.

Markoman

:( very sad.

But honestly, only Huber and Bossman really kept GT on life support.
I have only accessed their content through Youtube, because their player was just as shitty
as IGN's.

GT was a shadow of its glory days (2009-2013) with formats like Bonus Round, Invisible Walls, Angry Video Game Nerd, Epic Battle Cry, Annoyed Gamer, Pach-Attack,....

Kid of ironic, that they were best when the most polarizing personas were still around/involved (Shane, Marcus, Geoff, Ryan). The good boys lost the fight.

Kyle, please focus on comedy and you will be fine.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt even pay for Shenmue 3, but I would definetly pay for a GT successor.. off to a new project guys!

SuCU0fr.gif

Also did someone upload the last livestream? Would like to have it ony my harddrive.

Damn. I only discovered them last year from their E3 Sony Conference Video. I don't know anyone else in the enthusiast press who are as honest, diverse and enthusiastic about gaming as these guys.

They will be missed and I hope this isn't the last I'lll hear about the crew.

Auctopus

Glad you're happy people lost jobs.

Meh, I assume that the type of people who make these types of comments are either too privleged to know what the outside world is like or too lucky to have never lost a job. Either way, idiocy and mindlessness.

There is plenty of content channels out there in which there are multiple staff members. KindaFunny, Funhaus, ScrewAttack and that's just right off the top of my head.

I just think Defy didn't really help out GT all that much. Rooster Teeth for example did a great job giving Funhause exposure.

Drencrom

Just look at Kinda Funny, I think it's definitely possible that at least some of them can band together and form a new youtube channel and be Patreon supported. They surely don't need fancy offices and sets to make their GT time discussions, streams, reviews and shows like The Final Bosman etc. They are the real assets of GT and what made it great.

Should have closed sooner. It was trash.

What is up with idiots that make driveby post like this?

Gun Animal

They have their fans, but it's ultimately them as a collective that brought in the masses. Individual Patreons would only create a rift in funding success between all of them imo

tbh I'd be much more interested in backing Kyle Bosman or Ian Hinck individually than the whole crew. I feel like Kyle Bosman is probably the single most appealing personality in games media right now, and if he went the Sterling route I'd back him indefinitely, but I'd be hesitant to throw money at a neo-GT situation... too much dead weight for an independent operation.

foxtrot3d

Banned
tbh I'd be much more interested in backing Kyle Bosman or Ian Hinck individually than the whole crew. I feel like Kyle Bosman is probably the single most appealing personality in games media right now, and if he went the Sterling route I'd back him indefinitely, but I'd be hesitant to throw money at a neo-GT situation... too much dead weight for an independent operation.

Cold blooded.

I agree.

Top Bottom