• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Ben Moore just jumped onto the twitch chat:

Benmoore034: I don't want to give anyone undue hope, so take what I say with realistic expectations PLEASE. That's all I ask.

Benmoore034: But know that the people of GT still very much want to stay together and do things and we're going to try our best to make that happen.

Benmoore034: That said, we all have rent to pay and people in our lives that we need to provide for, so if other opportunities come up we can't just ignore that. But the beauty bois are definitely doing covert things behind the scenes. If you don't hear from us, it's because we're working our butts off trying to pull something together.

I will keep my expectations in check, but BEN-KUN I LOVE YOU. Wonderful news. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Benmoore034: I don't want to give anyone undue hope, so take what I say with realistic expectations PLEASE. That's all I ask.

Benmoore034: But know that the people of GT still very much want to stay together and do things and we're going to try our best to make that happen.

Benmoore034: That said, we all have rent to pay and people in our lives that we need to provide for, so if other opportunities come up we can't just ignore that. But the beauty bois are definitely doing covert things behind the scenes. If you don't hear from us, it's because we're working our butts off trying to pull something together.

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

DKHF

The thing that sucks about the situation is that if it was just about 1 or 2 people then maybe Patreon could be a realistic option but you take even one of the current super skeleton crew away and some part of the system stops functioning. I'll hope they can do stuff together in the future but I doubt GT will ever be the same.
I'm not sure if Kickstarter allows it but what if they Kickstarted a YouTube channel for like $500,000? That could maybe pay for the first year and in that time they could try to get a YouTube partnership and maybe setup a Patreon which would then sustain them. But they would probably need more than that to keep all of the crew and Kickstarter would take some of it so it's unrealistic. They could run the operations from one of their homes like Kinda Funny do.

ito007

That's good to hear. At least there's a chance. Thanks for the update!

Their E3 coverage was raw and real. They were the ones where I always watched E3.

These guys need a Patreon...something!

Edit:
Thanks Ben for giving us some hope.

Szeth

The thing that sucks about the situation is that if it was just about 1 or 2 people then maybe Patreon could be a realistic option but you take even one of the current super skeleton crew away and some part of the system stops functioning. I'll hope they can do stuff together in the future but I doubt GT will ever be the same.

It's a tough situation and as hard as it is to say, realistically the patreon thing has the best possibility of working with just the main personalities and streamers: Kyle, Huber, Ben, Brad, and Ian for editing. It would suck to split the group and I'd love for all 9 of them to make it work but yeah, it'll be extremely difficult.

sora87

Do not get it , if there are lots of people streaming for donations making money ,why they just not swich to this model , pretty sure they will get the money to have an affordable life.

Some of them would, I'm not sure all of them would be able to manage though.
Then again who knows, they could work something out, I'm not too clued up on how much they could possibly get from sponsorships and ad revenue. Even if it's a side project for them, I'd like to think we could help make it happen.

Bankai

Their E3 coverage was raw and real. They were the ones where I always watched E3.

These guys need a Patreon...something!

Edit:
Thanks Ben for giving us some hope.

THIS..!

It would be the first time sponsoring anything that way (for me), but I would ab-so-lu-te-ly do it.

I'm not sure if Kickstarter allows it but what if they Kickstarted a YouTube channel for like $500,000? That could maybe pay for the first year and in that time they could try to get a YouTube partnership and maybe setup a Patreon which would then sustain them. But they would probably need more than that to keep all of the crew and Kickstarter would take some of it so it's unrealistic. They could run the operations from one of their homes like Kinda Funny do.

Also, making those plans will take time to coordinate.

I still say the best chance the community has to encourage the team that such a plan would be possible would be to capitalize on the headlines and start a GT appreciation fund now with a site like Gofundme or comparable (I admit, I don't know what the best options are). If they end up parting ways, then we will never get a chance to pay them back for some of our debt to them or to show them real money is on the table.

Two Words

I wonder how much of a challenge it is to get press recognition to events like E3 if they start their own thing. It seems like Colin and Greg were able to get wide recognition with Kinda Funny games pretty quick.

mrqs

I just want anyone going "behind the scenes" and never show up on video again. If they can stay together as a team, awesome. If that's not an option, they should go somewhere where they are able to say what they think.

Much love for the GT team.

sora87

I wonder how much of a challenge it is to get press recognition to events like E3 if they start their own thing. It seems like Colin and Greg were able to get wide recognition with Kinda Funny games pretty quick.

You can get into E3 if you just have a blog these days, it's not hard.

Don't forget Kinda Funny was covering E3 in partnership with Gamespot. While Greg is a big name and a recognisable media entity, it wouldn't surprise me if in terms of the official paperwork Kinda Funny had to become affiliated with Gamespot for the duration of the event to be as big a presence and granted as much access as they were.

Two Words

You can get into E3 if you just have a blog these days, it's not hard.

I should have specified. I mean having further access than just touring the booths. Seeing behind-the-curtain demos, getting early demos sent to your business, getting invited to dev studios to preview games, etc.

sora87

NeoGAF doesn't get into E3 anymore
Check yourself

All we'd do is boo the Star Fox Zero booth :p

I should have specified. I mean having further access than just touring the booths. Seeing behind-the-curtain demos, getting early demos sent to your business, getting invited to dev studios to preview games, etc.

Well Blood and Brandon both have years worth of PR dealings and stuff, they obviously know a lot of people, I think they could make things happen.

Joni

As long as they have good connections with the PR and other important people they will get that.

That's just about having contacts that trust you really. Even if you aren't writing for anyone, if you're on good terms with people, they'll set you up with appointments because they know you'll likely be back in the loop soon enough.

LiK

I'm still pissed they were laid off/fired at the last minute. did they even have time to clean all their shit out?

Hasney

Uploading all the gifs I found in various threads now. One bugger: minus.com seems to be down so I've not been able to grab those ones.

Furyous

I never thought I'd wake up to not see GameTrailers going strong. Big Shouts to hlb for the links. Are there any links to retrospectives or reviews?

It seems surreal because there's a Firewatch review online from GT. I wish everyone the best and this feels like the same thing that happened to EGM when they had to let their staff go and their 1up podcast ended. I feel bad for everyone that lost their jobs at the place they love because the recession is still happening and I hope everyone lands on their feet.

Kieli

Patreon may work for a one-person show/slim-crew, but I can't imagine it sustaining an entire group.

A lot of people flake on the payments, so even if the number seems really large, you don't get all of it.

sora87

Well Kinda Funny are 5 people and doing well enough.
Guess we'll have to wait and see though, they could be thinking of something totally different.

Patreon may work for a one-person show/slim-crew, but I can't imagine it sustaining an entire group.

A lot of people flake on the payments, so even if the number seems really large, you don't get all of it.

Take the negativity to the giant bomb thread, bro.

This space is jolly.

Bossti

Neo Member
After E3 2015 I still have this feeling that everything is possible and I don't want to sound all pathetic but I would bet that this feeling is still within most of the GT crew. They have industry contacts, they have a passionate fanbase that I'd like to count myself in and they are not a group of mercenarys but largely friends who really enjoyed working together.

They will meet and check all the options and throw ideas and if they can make it happen, they will do so. BELIEVE!

A lot of gaming outlets have been shitting down in recent years but this is the only one that really bums me out. It's rare to find a group of guys with just such a pure passion for gaming. I also found their reviews to be always insightful and well executed.

This is promising to hear and like he says, keep expectations in check. As much as we love the content they produce as fans, at the end of the day, they need to make the decision that is best for them.

It will be very difficult to keep everyone onboard for a new venture and remain financially viable. Things will have to be scaled back and some will move on to other things.

If all they do is something on the side like a weekly GT-Time like podcast, I would be happy. Regardless, I will support whatever they do.

I just find it difficult to fathom that some type of media company wouldn't jump at the chance to claim them. Videogames and obviously videogame video content obviously isn't going away anytime soon.

things they have going for them:
-an established brand with an already obviously devoted following that immediately makes them stick out from the masses.
-obvious knowledge in producing and creating videos with the advantage of having shows with a passionate fan base from the start.
-CHEMISTRY. These guys are all great together and their passion shines through.
-already established connections within the industry.
-they were only getting better. each time i thought we reached peak gametrailers, they kept on improving and they definitely do not seem burned out.
- TALENT. Few sites (if any) could match the talent of this crew.

All that along with embracing youtube/twitch this go around seems like a damn tempting opportunity for someone. Throw in a Giant Bomb sponsorship type of deal that myself and i'm sure tons of others would pay for and that sounds pretty sweet to me.

Top Bottom