• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

the_id

I miss Brandon's voice. Such an iconic voice and not to hear it for a review of Street Fighter V is saddening.

And to add salt to wound, the GT website is still up and no updates or mention of them being closed down or even fired.

This is just an example of the shift in Gaming media where Youtubers and Twitch personalities will be playing a bigger role rather than the Website they represent. I hope these guys will adapt to something and I'll be happy to support them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This is just an example of the shift in Gaming media where Youtubers and Twitch personalities will be playing a bigger role rather than the Website they represent. I hope these guys will adapt to something and I'll be happy to support them.

I may obviously be completely wrong, but my gut feeling says actual game coverage and, well, "journalism" will find a different way than just moving everything to YT and Twitch.
Giant Bomb found themselves a fantastic way, and I can totally imagine the GT crew to go with a similar setup.

Then I also think a shit ton of YT/Twitch characters and institutions will be very sad with themselves in a few years, because they didn't set up a proper web channel apart from this third party solution. There will surely be a point the YT/Streaming scene just implodes on itself and only the prepared ones survive.

So yeah I might be wrong.

Yeah, I mean I enjoy GiantBomb and even subscribe, but it's just no substitute for how great GT Time was.

I subscribed to the Beastcast, because the regular Bombcast is just way too long and has too much non-gaming related stuff I don't care about. But even with the Beastcast I have to listen to it at 1.6x speed, because it's 2 hours long and sometimes even more. Not to mention the little moderation and actual discussion that's going on there. And corrections at the end of the episode just feels weird (but I'm happy they're doing them).

Street Fighter V made me realize how difficult it'll be for me to believe in reviews of new releases u.u I always pondered every other review the GT one to find a middle ground in the numbers. Without GT... Well, I just don't believe the reviews.

I'm not believing sites like IGN or Gamespot. They haven't win my trust.

I'm really going to miss GTs video reviews. It was one of my few go-to resources for reviews I felt I could trust. I wish the whole team all the best.

Palabragrís;196059056 said:
Street Fighter V made me realize how difficult it'll be for me to believe in reviews of new releases u.u I always pondered every other review the GT one to find a middle ground in the numbers. Without GT... Well, I just don't believe the reviews.

I'm not believing sites like IGN or Gamespot. They haven't win my trust.

Look at a bunch of reviews rather than just one review. Gonna be some truth to them if you look at more than one.

Fbh

Look at a bunch of reviews rather than just one review. Gonna be some truth to them if you look at more than one.

It's still kinda hard.

I generally go to Metacritc and/or Opencritic to see an oberview of how the game is reviewing. I just put everyone together and see if "critics" in general are liking it or not.
But GT was one of the few sites where I actually cared about their particular opinion on a game

SlickVic

Brandon's voice was so cool that I was surprised when I found out he was an actual person.

His voice is easily what I'll remember GT the most for. I remember the occasional review that he didn't narrate. Usually the stand-in did a respectable job in their own right, but it just didn't feel right if I didn't hear Brandon's voice.

For whatever reason I slowly fell off the site as the years went on. Back in 2008-2011 or so I always checked the GT review for all major releases and/or games I was interested in and the last few years it was a lot more seldom. I suppose that with every review thread mentioning how the GT review had spoilers, I slowly started to veer off from watching their content routinely. Regardless, a shame to see them go.

FyreWulff

Brandon's voice was so cool that I was surprised when I found out he was an actual person.

I remember when I started working on a career in games, I always wanted a review of a game I personally made by myself done by Brandon at GT because so many people recognize the voice.

I wouldn't care if it was a good review or the game got decimated. Just wanted that to put in my collection.

N° 2048

cheers so what do we have to fill the void that GTTV left ? gamestop tv dosnt relly cut it from what iv seen

I've been looking and honestly GT was unique as fuck.

The only thing that comes close to me is KindaFunny, and Gamescoop podcast from IGN.

Gamespot has some great shows as well.

Fuck I'm gonna start crying again...

Volotaire

I've noticed a lot of the older (pre 2011) GTTV episodes are lost/inaccessible (for me at least) on both SPIKE's and GT's website. It's a shame because there are a lot of moments with some of the big gaming divisions's CEO's (Reggie, etc) that are lost.

It's such a shame that a lot of the content is already lost.

p01ar

GameTrailers
I've noticed a lot of the older (pre 2011) GTTV episodes are lost/inaccessible (for me at least) on both SPIKE's and GT's website. It's a shame because there are a lot of moments with some of the big gaming divisions's CEO's (Reggie, etc) that are lost.

I should have the first few seasons of GTTV on DVD and some of the big episodes from later seasons on a hard drive somewhere. We had to make DVDs for legal and I always had one made.

I should have a bunch of segments on HD somewhere. Also E3 specials.

I also have a ton of old G4 episodes I worked on like Arena, Cheat, Cinematech, AOTS and Gphoria.

After GDC I'll do some digging. No idea where the stuff is after I moved.

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)

Due to licensing of content in some episodes, they were only posted for a limited time. That was part of the agreement for some episodes.

I'm still so damn sad about all this, like it feels so fucking weird to not see a new GT time, final bossman, Huber Hype, and all that fun sidecontent on the reviews channel.

Just fuck, they were actually my main video game content provider other then gaf. I miss each and every single member ;_; Time heals all.... but not this time

Dmax3901

I'm in this weird limbo where I'm catching up with the last two GT Times that I never got to watch, each of them have no idea whats coming and are discussing future shows or reviews or even just the games coming out this year... Then I come to this thread and it's like I've fallen into the dark timeline.

Volotaire

Due to licensing of content in some episodes, they were only posted for a limited time. That was part of the agreement for some episodes.

I should have the first few seasons of GTTV on DVD and some of the big episodes from later seasons on a hard drive somewhere. We had to make DVDs for legal and I always had one made.

I should have a bunch of segments on HD somewhere. Also E3 specials.

I also have a ton of old G4 episodes I worked on like Arena, Cheat, Cinematech, AOTS and Gphoria.

After GDC I'll do some digging. No idea where the stuff is after I moved.

Ah I see. Thanks guys!

DigiMish

Oh man, finally listened to the last GT Time and holy shit at the jabs about Defy firing everyone at GT. Dayum. Also, talking about jobs and life in general...

If anything, it was a proper last episode with Ian being at the table. Man.

LiK

TB's podcast is unlistenable even with Kyle on. i couldn't finish it. TB is annoying as a podcaster and that female host is unfunny.

MODEYV3

Banned
God damn, I need GT Time! I need my weekly discussion of gaming news, sprinkled by Huber Hype and Final Bosman. I feel like I'm less aligned to the gaming industry now, which is a sad thing as I enjoy a discussion.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
people can still play overwatch? man, I never got a beta invite. I'm really interested in the game but I'd rather play it before getting it since its 60 bucks and its online only.

13randO

people can still play overwatch? man, I never got a beta invite. I'm really interested in the game but I'd rather play it before getting it since its 60 bucks and its online only.
You have to sign up for the beta on the Overwatch website and pray. It's not a promo beta, it's for testing; so keep that in mind if you don't get in right away (if at all).

TB's podcast is unlistenable even with Kyle on. i couldn't finish it. TB is annoying as a podcaster and that female host is unfunny.

I felt similarly. When they started talking about Overwatch, Kyle could barely say shit. I mean, aren't you suppose to accommodate for your guests? Also, the non-TB guy wasn't exactly a pleasure to listen to, IMO.

I feel like Brandon will be a better fit for Co-Optional than Kyle was since he seems more assertive. Kyle worked great as the moderator on GT Time because he didn't have to interject himself as much, since the format naturally give him opportunities to change the direction of the conversation or ask follow up questions. But on a conversation style podcast, getting yourself into the mix is all on the speaker, which isn't really Kyle's skill set.

LiK

I felt similarly. When they started talking about Overwatch, Kyle could barely say shit. I mean, aren't you suppose to accommodate for your guests? Also, the non-TB guy wasn't exactly a pleasure to listen to, IMO.

yea, what people say it's true, TB is in love with his own voice. he talks way too fucking much and dominates the show and doesn't let others speak too much. i'll try it out with Brandon but if it's the same shit, gonna unsub asap.

It's still kinda hard.

I generally go to Metacritc and/or Opencritic to see an oberview of how the game is reviewing. I just put everyone together and see if "critics" in general are liking it or not.
But GT was one of the few sites where I actually cared about their particular opinion on a game

Yeah this is true. I do miss their reviews already but I still took their reviews with all the others. I do get missing that one voice as well. I really hope with today's meeting Brandon has some good stuff to tell them and that they can figure something out.

I would love to see them back by E3.

Top Bottom