• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Bizzquik

S9ww7iz.png

Wait, really? This would absolutely make my day if the team was able to put something together and make it work long-term.

I use Patreon for the YouTube channels I support, and would gladly do the same with the GT Team.

Everyone was telling Shane on the siftd.net stream that he needed to work with them to figure something out. If he did, I would be very impressed.

Matush

I have never subscibed (on Twitch) or patreoned to anyone, ever. If they would be able to come up with something, they have my money.

kennyamr

I know it's a name that Brandon himself chose a looong time ago.

Maybe just leave it like GeeTee "GT" or New GT "NGT" idk, whatever the name, that's the least I care about really, I just hope the best for the whole GT crew and wish them the very best :3

If they could get together and do something again, that'd be espectacular, I'd be more than glad to support them.

FyreWulff

I'm curious, since Defy clearly seems to not value the GameTrailers brand, if they would allow Brandon and crew to bring the GT name with them. I would be kinda disgusted if Defy wants them to pay an arm and a leg for the brand (if Brandon and crew all want it in the first place).

Corporations never give a brand name away for free, even if they plan on never using it again.

I am intimately familiar with this type of situation ;_;

oti

Banned
Wait, really? This would absolutely make my day if the team was able to put something together and make it work long-term.

I use Patreon for the YouTube channels I support, and would gladly do the same with the GT Team.

Everyone was telling Shane on the siftd.net stream that he needed to work with them to figure something out. If he did, I would be very impressed.

That would have to be a very successful Patreon to support all of those people. My guess is they'll try it out but will jump ship as soon as something more reliable comes up. Good behind the scenes video people are always in demand. The people in front of the camera will most likely go the standard YT route or they'll switch to marketing.

I know it's a name that Brandon himself chose a looong time ago.

Maybe just leave it like GeeTee "GT" or New GT "NGT" idk, whatever the name, that's the least I care about really, I just hope the best for the whole GT crew and wish them the very best :3

If they could get together and do something again, that's be espectacular, I'd be more than glad to support them.

NeoGT?

Zomba13

If they do come back together and keep doing stuff but can't use any of the old names (even for shows) then I hope Kyle just keeps doing The Final Bosman but as Levelle, and just calls it The Last Levelle. Complete with the youtube jumpcuts and shit.

Yeah, that Kinda Funny video was pretty bad. They just made it about themselves and couldn't even take a little bit of time to familiarize themselves with GT for the discussion about them. All of them were just like Ah, I don't really know. I don't watch GT.

I've been watching a bunch of their stuff since the GT closing but I can't do it anymore. They're very dry and don't seem like they're having a lot of fun with it. It's very formulaic. That's why I like GT so much. They are so enthusiastic about what they were doing and had such a good variety of people. Can't wait to see more of them.

BigRedOne

So basically Kinda Funny tried to hook in people by saying they were going to talk about the closure of GameTrailers only to brag about themselves....you sort of expect that especially when it comes to Colin and oftentimes Greg...they are like right guard deodorant....anything less is just uncivilized...

Shang

Many have said it, but just to reiterate, I will donate to a Patreon to keep GT alive. I really love these guys.

Mariolee

ONly thing I heard was that he contacted Brandon. Haven't heard anything since

He talked to at least Brandon in private.

I don't really know what he'd say, I guess it would have been nice for him to wish them well and stuff but he probably did so in private.

Neo GT is about to explode!

Interesting. I really wonder if he's got something planned for them. Dude's got an insane amount of connections.

Bizzquik

Has Shane posted the GameFace episode yet?
Interested in hearing his take on the situation.

Yeah, and its actually pretty interesting.
He talked about it for about half an hour last week. The whole history of his time there, basically. Why he thinks it went downhill, etc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are the early episodes of their Level Format really offline? I remember them showcasing the Uncharted 2 Train Level but I cant find it...

If they do come back together and keep doing stuff but can't use any of the old names (even for shows) then I hope Kyle just keeps doing The Final Bosman but as Levelle, and just calls it The Last Levelle. Complete with the youtube jumpcuts and shit.

I actually doubt Defy trademarked any of the show names. They might still be free for all.

Karu

So basically Kinda Funny tried to hook in people by saying they were going to talk about the closure of GameTrailers only to brag about themselves....you sort of expect that especially when it comes to Colin and oftentimes Greg...they are like right guard deodorant....anything less is just uncivilized...
ahahahhaha

Manac0r

GT was such inherent part of my morning cycle. Wake up, Shower, make breakfast, watch some GT... now I just cry into my oatmeal :(

Seriously I can't even find a replacement to tide me over until they come back (and they will).

KF isn't doing it for me, neither is Giantbomb, anyone got any recommendations?

Haunted

GT was such inherent part of my morning cycle. Wake up, Shower, make breakfast, watch some GT... now I just cry into my oatmeal :(

Seriously I can't even find a replacement to tide me over until they come back (and they will).

KF isn't doing it for me, neither is Giantbomb, anyone got any recommendations?
They're being missed so dearly exactly because there are so few sites like them that revel in their honest enthusiasm and positivity without the corporate stink of shills and astroturfing surrounding them.

Top Bottom