• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

wiibomb

part of the humor of bosman is talking cynical jokes with no real meaning in his thoughts, I'm sure that's what happened with KF.

it's still pretty weird they took it so personal (at KF), makes them immature, imo

Yeah the Kinda Funny thing was really awkward.

It was in their episode about "our favorite gaming journalists" or something. Tim brought up Bosman saying he was great and Greg was basically trying to change the subject. Tim kept bringing it back up again basically making Greg say "I haven't seen his stuff besides the one where he was talking shit about us". Tim kept pushing it saying "uh I don't think he was talking shit, I think he was calling us sellouts" (Kyle wasn't)

It was awkward though. All Bosman says is "If you ask my opinion, I think they're less than Kinda Funny". Classic smug Bosman
he's not wrong, even if I enjoy some KF content

Yeah that segment was weird, they seemed to think the positive things Kyle was saying about KF was actually negative. He was complimenting them on the smart move of leaving IGN to form KF and then mentioned at the end he didn't find them very funny. Instead they thought he was saying he was selling out?? God forbid Tim, Greg, or Colin do a little bit of homework before their segments though. Though to be fair watching a 10 minute video before they record their segment would have taken a lot out of them, probably not worth it to be that informed, probably best to just make vague and general assumptions!
This is why if some of the GT guys go off to form their own thing, they need to take a Brandon or a Bloodworth with them, someone who can be a leader and accountable for the quality. Greg and Colin's quality has really dropped off since they went out on their own, stuff that some of the higher ups at IGN probably would have called them out for, eventually. Colin just spews out bullshit and flat out wrong information half the time, and I question how much they actually play of the games their talking about. Now of course, everyone at GT is smarter and more mature than those two, so I can't see it getting that bad, but it still wouldn't hurt.

That video about Next Gen console experiences was really good. It's a shame that even if the dream team comes back together through Patreon or whatever, we still won't have Elise.

joms5

That video about Next Gen console experiences was really good. It's a shame that even if the dream team comes back together through Patreon or whatever, we still won't have Elise.

Yeah. For me it was a huge lose when Elyse left. There was something refreshing about her. They've had women on the site before but they were never front and center and were usually in the background (Megan for example). Elyse was outgoing and quite a character that breathed a lot of life into segments.

Umibozu

I thought that she wouldn't have to worry about others talking over her at funhous but after watching the funhous stream where they talk about the closing of gametrailers it still seems to be an issue. At least now she is able to spend more time with her husband.

Sucks that those who missed it, will never get a chance to see it ever :(
Cough cough; it was a lot of that.

Yeah it's unfortunate for those who missed it, I even missed the last hour and a half because I thought it would very archived after.

Yeah that segment was weird, they seemed to think the positive things Kyle was saying about KF was actually negative. He was complimenting them on the smart move of leaving IGN to form KF and then mentioned at the end he didn't find them very funny. Instead they thought he was saying he was selling out?? God forbid Tim, Greg, or Colin do a little bit of homework before their segments though. Though to be fair watching a 10 minute video before they record their segment would have taken a lot out of them, probably not worth it to be that informed, probably best to just make vague and general assumptions!
This is why if some of the GT guys go off to form their own thing, they need to take a Brandon or a Bloodworth with them, someone who can be a leader and accountable for the quality. Greg and Colin's quality has really dropped off since they went out on their own, stuff that some of the higher ups at IGN probably would have called them out for, eventually. Colin just spews out bullshit and flat out wrong information half the time, and I question how much they actually play of the games their talking about. Now of course, everyone at GT is smarter and more mature than those two, so I can't see it getting that bad, but it still wouldn't hurt.
I know some of them read the forums so if they happen to read this, don't take offense, but I agree completely with this. It's why I have a hard time watching any of their stuff anymore. They have their rabid community that adores them, which is great, but I just can't listen to some of their discussions anymore.

Hopefully GT 2.0 can save us. Huber's streams have been awesome so far but the full crew is magic

Vinc

You know for some reason, I'm also gonna miss Kyle's "Not Funny, GT" series. It was just so weird haha. Man....I really hope the GT crew find a new home and not fade away into history.

Seriously, how does he come up with this stuff? lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6LxMaofdQ

This was so good. How did I miss it before?

From the description, it looks like this video was hard to find. Thank you to whoever managed to save it.

I need my GT fix so bad. I really hope they come back soon somehow.

I will listen to Kinda Funny at times, but the reason I don't listen more often is because of this. They speak in such absolutes and those absolutes are absolutely wrong at times. Their discussion about Kyle calling them sellouts (he didn't) was so off base and has soured me on them to this day.

More podcasts need a corrections segment (maybe even correction music as well).

I will listen to Kinda Funny at times, but the reason I don't listen more often is because of this. They speak in such absolutes and those absolutes are absolutely wrong at times. Their discussion about Kyle calling them sellouts (he didn't) was so off base and has soured me on them to this day.

More podcasts need a corrections segment (maybe even correction music as well).

I agree with this statement whole-heartedly.

sora87

I loved when Aisha Taylor was on the GoG show, normally people just let Colin say whatever and don't call him out on it, but she shut his ass down lol.
I've not listened to anything KF have done for a while now, I still like them and appreciate them, but you definitely need a break from their sthick sometimes.

That's the best thing with the GT people, they never got annoying or too much to cope with.

Manac0r

Even though I'm not a fan of Kinda Funny, I think this is the best discussion (by far) about GameTrailers shutting down that I've watched so far.

Very interesting, informative, and a good insight into what the GT crew can do in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-aDw6Ct2ag

I'm actually very surprised by how good it was.

I dunno.. I found it very ego-centric. I stopped after a while because it just turned into them saying how great their patreons are .... I may have just been in a bad mood due to several loses at SF V...

Wasn't that a thing he did over at IGN? His whole "Gamers are entitled" video back during the ME3 ending controversy completely missed the point of why people were pissed about the ending.

That said, even if Bloodworth or Jones aren't able to stick with the crew, I think Kyle and company will be more on the ball than the Kinda Funny crew. They got called out super hard on GT Time for that horrible XCOM 2 discussion the week the game was revealed, where they clearly didn't know about/read the IGN articles about the game, so they took steps to avoid that during the rest of GT Time's run.

samn

Even though I'm not a fan of Kinda Funny, I think this is the best discussion (by far) about GameTrailers shutting down that I've watched so far.

Very interesting, informative, and a good insight into what the GT crew can do in the future.

I found this to be a very dull discussion, repeating obvious points or things other people already said.

J-Skee

Yeah the Kinda Funny thing was really awkward.

It was in their episode about "our favorite gaming journalists" or something. Tim brought up Bosman saying he was great and Greg was basically trying to change the subject. Tim kept bringing it back up again basically making Greg say "I haven't seen his stuff besides the one where he was talking shit about us". Tim kept pushing it saying "uh I don't think he was talking shit, I think he was calling us sellouts" (Kyle wasn't)

It was awkward though. All Bosman says is "If you ask my opinion, I think they're less than Kinda Funny". Classic smug Bosman
he's not wrong, even if I enjoy some KF content

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was messing around, that's his kind of humor

part of the humor of bosman is talking cynical jokes with no real meaning in his thoughts, I'm sure that's what happened with KF.

it's still pretty weird they took it so personal (at KF), makes them immature, imo

In what video did Bosman say this? And in what video was the response from Miller?

Alright discussion I guess. More about themselves than GT. And ugh Colin is so pompous.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is Danganrompa demanding on a slow-ass office PC and should I buy it for the weekend?

No seriously.

What in the actual fuck?!

Without any prompt a site can just die like this?

We are in a post GT world right now? How?

It is seriously unprofessional to do such a thing to a company. They should at least have been given notice to rebuild a site and redirect current traffic as a goodwill. My heart goes out to them.

S9ww7iz.png

Kinyou

GT Time like corrections should be mandatory for every podcast.

Seriously, that was always entertaining and sometimes some real misconceptions were cleared up.

Do you think GT would have a bigger audience than KF if it came to a patreon?

I think so, their reviews are pretty highly revered around the web and everyone loves GT Time. Shit, what am I going to listen to on weekend road trips now?

sora87

Do you think GT would have a bigger audience than KF if it came to a patreon?

I think so, their reviews are pretty highly revered around the web and everyone loves GT Time. Shit, what am I going to listen to on weekend road trips now?

I'm not sure, Greg and Colin have a pretty large rabid fanbase, and KF is only 5 people so patreon + sponsorship is more than enough for them to live on.

I will support the GT crew with anything they do though, it would be my first patreon if they go that route. It'd be awesome if they could do some stretch goals to get some Damiani content.

I'm curious, since Defy clearly seems to not value the GameTrailers brand, if they would allow Brandon and crew to bring the GT name with them. I would be kinda disgusted if Defy wants them to pay an arm and a leg for the brand (if Brandon and crew all want it in the first place).

Honestly I think they need a new name. Make it clear they're on their own and doing more of a personality based entity. Not a site focused on trailers anymore.

Hasney

Still love that line at the end of Brandons speech on closing day where he's like "We could be processing meat and I'd still be like "Yeah, there's this one guy called Huber though and it's just jolly""

Huber: "Hey, we'd have a good time processing meat, I'll tell you that right now"

That response is basically Huber all wrapped up. But Brandon saying that, you kinda knew they'd at least try and work something out even before Ben's confirmation on Twitch.
I'm curious, since Defy clearly seems to not value the GameTrailers brand, if they would allow Brandon and crew to bring the GT name with them. I would be kinda disgusted if Defy wants them to pay an arm and a leg for the brand (if Brandon and crew all want it in the first place).

Not a chance without a price. They're a business, they'll probably use the name for something else that doesn't involve a lot of staff.

I'm not sure, Greg and Colin have a pretty large rabid fanbase, and KF is only 5 people so patreon + sponsorship is more than enough for them to live on.

I will support the GT crew with anything they do though, it would be my first patreon if they go that route. It'd be awesome if they could do some stretch goals to get some Damiani content.

I get the feeling that if they pulled of a funding thing, some of the crew would be part time. I mean, I love Matt Blair and would love for them to keep him on somehow, but with videos going straight to YouTube, would there be much for him to do as a day job? Have him on the podcast when he's free and jump in on some streams, give him a guest fee and it would be awesome.

I also get the feeling they wouldn't need 2 editors, especially since Brandon has editing chops too, but I could never let go of Ian or Don :(

sora87

I'd leave it behind, they should have rebranded from GameTrailers a long time ago to be honest, the name probably confused some people into thinking they were just a place for trailers that are available everywhere these days.

They should just rebrand as something with the initials GT. Game time, Game talkers, who knows point is change the name and call it GT.

And just to say it again I'll absolutely pay for that.

Top Bottom